PDA

View Full Version : Time for K to change the 'perception' of Duke basketball

ohiodukefan
05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
With the Amile Jefferson commitment yesterday, it is time for Duke to change the perception of their basketball program to lure recruits to Durham for the all important 2013 class.

The national perception of Duke it that they are a guard oriented program (3 guard lineups for 9 out of the last 10 years) and all the Duke big men are on the floor for is to set picks for the guards 25-30 ft from the basket.

With Amile and Alex Murphy on the roster next year and with Mason and Ryan back, it's time to go to a more traditional lineup of 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. Mason and Ryan can play 28-32 mpg with Josh subbing for Ryan and Marshall subbing for Mason 8-12 minutes a game. Alex and Amile can split the 40 minutes evenly at the other forward position until someone steps up. Quin and Seth can start at guards with Rasheed and Tyler off the bench. If Rasheed can be the player we all think he can be, he'll take minutes form Seth. Do not go back to 3 guard lineups with Ryan and Mason getting all the minutes and Amile and Alex sitting. That would lead to transfers the following year.

This would show all the highly thought of and talented forwards and centers in the 2013 class that Duke has 120 minutes availble per game, not 80 (3 guard lineups) and may lead to more bigs to consider and commit to Duke.

The only time Duke has had a more traditional lineup since 2003 was in 2010 with 6'8" Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas and 7'2" Brian Zoubek getting most of the starts and minutes...........and we all know how that season turned out!!! :)

gumbomoop
05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Although I agree with the OP's rough estimate of PT at the various positions, I wouldn't characterize this as K changing perceptions of Duke. [Nor do I comment in my reply here on your reference to transfers.] Rather, it probably is more a function of recruiting over the last few years, including the class of 2012. Plus the redshirting of Alex and Marshall.

It strikes me that there are but 3 scenarios - none of which we could label "highly probable" right now - in which your preference would not be - again, roughly - the positions and distribution of mpg in 2012-'13. [1] If Andre does not redshirt, in which case, at times, K might "go small" with a PG [other than Seth] and Andre and Seth on the wings. [2] If Rasheed is so good so quickly that, as in [1], K might, at times, go with 2 guards on the wings, plus a PG. [3] If Andre returns and Rasheed explodes early, then probably a good bit more 3-guard stuff.

I can probably infer that you [OP] would really not recommend scenario 3, no matter how good Rasheed is, early on. I hope you might agree that in scenarios [1] and [2], you could tolerate a 3-guard lineup for a few minutes each game.

Overall, it does seem clear that K is determined not to repeat 2011-'12's problem re absence of several guys in the 6'5"-6'7'/classic SF range. So, depending on recruiting, I assume your preference will eventuate over the next couple of seasons.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
We have a lot of talent up front. If we can play good team defense and get some ball distribution on the offensive end, this could be a really fun season. (And I include Mason and Ryan as distributors -- it's not just on the guards).

InSpades
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Coach is going to put the best lineup he can on the floor. If that's 3 guards and 2 bigs then he'll do that. If it's 2 guards and your "prototypical" 3 then he'll do that. I really doubt some alleged "perception" is going to change the way he coaches his team. He will do everything to get the most out of next year's team. To improve them as individuals and as a collective. I would be shocked if he ever thought "how is playing this style of play going to impact next year's recruiting class?".

One of K's best qualities is his ability to adapt his style of play to the players he has on his current roster. I think this is why Duke has been so consistent over the years. I would hope that the recruits see this and recognize that it will only benefit them when/if they come to Duke.

I do think next year's team may lend itself more towards your traditional lineup and away from 3 guards but you never know how things will play out. Maybe the guards end up improving a ton over the summer and deserve the playing time.

doctorhook
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I do not think the problem of perception of Duke bball is primarily related to the line-up, but rather the make-up of the players.