PDA

View Full Version : Krzyzewski unlikely to coach Olympic team in 2016

Philsfan
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www2.nbc17.com/sports/2012/may/14/krzyzewski-not-likely-return-2016-olympics-ar-2276990/?referer=None&shorturl=http://bit.ly/JAwd8m

superdave
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Another article
(http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/7928951/usa-basketball-coach-mike-krzyzewski-not-likely-return-2016-olympic-games)

Edit - Nevermind. Same wire article as the first.

tommy
05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Well if we can speculate on the off topic board about who the Democratic presidential nominee will be in 2016 before the 2012 votes are counted, I guess we can speculate about who the Olympic coach will be in 2016 before the 2012 games are held then, right?

I think it'll be a pro coach, as I don't think any other college coach has the gravitas of Krzyzewski or the credibility with the pro players that Coach K has, and that is required to get these guys to buy in. Has to be a proven winner, of course.

Phil Jackson would fit the bill, but I doubt he'd be interested.

Gregg Popovich would fit it, and though he's a little older, he's not too old. I think he might be a good choice.

Doug Collins would be an interesting possibility, especially given his Olympic history.

Doc Rivers? Falls short on the gravitas scale, I think. Same goes for Rick Carlisle.

Who else?

If they were interested in college coaches, Izzo would have to be in the mix, as he's universally respected. I don't think Roy would be seriously considered -- not another Tobacco Road coach. Forget about Calipari -- way too much baggage. Maybe Boeheim, though he's kind of long in the tooth and perceived as being, I don't know, maybe too provincial. Bill Self? I don't think so. Larry Brown? Geddouttahere. Been there, done that, and didn't do it well.

What do you guys think?

superdave
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Well if we can speculate on the off topic board about who the Democratic presidential nominee will be in 2016 before the 2012 votes are counted, I guess we can speculate about who the Olympic coach will be in 2016 before the 2012 games are held then, right?

I think it'll be a pro coach, as I don't think any other college coach has the gravitas of Krzyzewski or the credibility with the pro players that Coach K has, and that is required to get these guys to buy in. Has to be a proven winner, of course.

Gregg Popovich would fit it, and though he's a little older, he's not too old. I think he might be a good choice.

As for the coaches you named,

Doug Collins would be an interesting possibility, especially given his Olympic history.

Doc Rivers? Falls short on the gravitas scale, I think. Same goes for Rick Carlisle.

Who else?

If they were interested in college coaches, Izzo would have to be in the mix, as he's universally respected. I don't think Roy would be seriously considered -- not another Tobacco Road coach. Forget about Calipari -- way too much baggage. Maybe Boeheim, though he's kind of long in the tooth and perceived as being, I don't know, maybe too provincial. Bill Self? I don't think so. Larry Brown? Geddouttahere. Been there, done that, and didn't do it well.

What do you guys think?

It will be interesting to see what Colangelo's involvement is going forward. If he remains in charge, then I'd assume the next coach will have some relationship with him. If he moves on, then his replacement will be in charge of finding the new coach. I do not know who is in his circle, but I would wager that the next coach will come from there.

If he moves on, then I'd love to see OKC GM Sam Presti take over as executive director.

As for the coaches you named, it would hopefully be someone who could make a 4-6 year commitment. That probably rules out some of the older guys like Phil Jackson.

Billy Dat
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
I think Popovich is at the top of the list but he has baggage from 2004 when he was an assistant under Larry Brown (along with Roy). The baggage is on his side, though, as I think he feels that Brown was set up for failure and may harbor some ill will with USA Basketball.

I think Doc Rivers and Carlisle have plenty of gravitas, both are considered by the players to be among the handful of best coaches in the NBA.

The current USA pro assistants - D'Antoni and MacMillen - are both out of work...while they wouldn't be obvious choices because they aren't "hot", they obviously have been steeped in the FIBA game for the past 6 years and would make sense. I think Boeheim lacks the personality.

I think the reduced schedule would make Phil Jackson an ideal candidate but he not be into it. However, the Olympic gig could be a major career capstone and these guys all have huge egos no matter how they come off.

I think Doug Collins is too much of a hard driving guy who doesn't know how to give the guys room to breathe. As for the other top NBA coaches - Stan Van is too outspoken, Thibs isn't dynamic enough of a personality, etc.

I also wouldn't rule out Cal or Pitino - I feel like they took those other FIBA gigs to get their credentials in order should they ever be considered. Cal would be a more natural choice because, like it or not, the players love him and connecting with the players is objective #1.

hurleyfor3
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Bill Self? I don't think so.

Why not? That was the first name that came to my mind.

weezie
05-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Self is at the right stage of his career, he's good on camera, plenty of good players sent to NBA. I agree he'd be a good pick.
Maybe he'll assist Carlisle, another good mention.
Just not Thad Motta, puhhhhleeeze.

OldPhiKap
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Brad Stevens. Just 'cause.

Newton_14
05-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Who else?

What do you guys think?

I actually think that Izzo is the logical choice here. As you note, he is well respected, and would be someone the NBA guys would work with. I just don't see the NBA coaches taking it seriously enough, or having the patience. There is so much more to it now than just coaching the 12 guys. It is a program that starts with the High School kids playing in the U16/17/18 games, the Select Team, World U team, and then the actual Olympic Team. I love the way it is set up now, and think that is great. A brilliant move by all who had a hand in putting it together. I may be wrong, but I am wary of handing the keys to a NBA coach who may not have the passion to be a part of something that big.

I agree Ol Roy would not be a good fit and likely would not be considered. Bill Self would be a good candidate in my view. Tom Crean as well, even though he does not have the championships on his resume that Izzo and Self have.

sagegrouse
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I actually think that Izzo is the logical choice here. As you note, he is well respected, and would be someone the NBA guys would work with. I just don't see the NBA coaches taking it seriously enough, or having the patience. There is so much more to it now than just coaching the 12 guys. It is a program that starts with the High School kids playing in the U16/17/18 games, the Select Team, World U team, and then the actual Olympic Team. I love the way it is set up now, and think that is great. A brilliant move by all who had a hand in putting it together. I may be wrong, but I am wary of handing the keys to a NBA coach who may not have the passion to be a part of something that big.

I agree Ol Roy would not be a good fit and likely would not be considered. Bill Self would be a good candidate in my view. Tom Crean as well, even though he does not have the championships on his resume that Izzo and Self have.

I takes a great coach plus a guy that can build and run a real program and can relate well to NBA stars. Not too many guys can do that, beyond K. I believe that K and Colangelo know the specific qualities that are needed (not to mention Boeheim and D'Antoni). I will be interested in seeing their choice.

sagegrouse

superdave
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59058/coach-ks-olympics-legacy-already-sealed

Eamon Brennan on Coach K and Team US and A.

UrinalCake
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I agree that it probably won't be a college coach. You're asking millionaire professionals to give up their own time and play for free. They're not going to do it and play hard for someone they don't respect. Coach K is such a rare case of a college coach that commands that respect.

I actually think Pitino wouldn't be too bad of a choice. He'd basically be asked to do the same thing he does now - manage a crazy talented roster, keep everyone happy while also keeping egos in check, and convince his individual stars that winning is the most important thing.

superdave
05-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I actually think Pitino wouldn't be too bad of a choice. He'd basically be asked to do the same thing he does now - manage a crazy talented roster, keep everyone happy while also keeping egos in check, and convince his individual stars that winning is the most important thing.

Too bad Pitino renounced his basketball citizenship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5938582
(http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5938582)

Billy Dat
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Too bad Pitino renounced his basketball citizenship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5938582
(http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5938582)

I don't think that rule pertains to coaches though, does it?

blazindw
05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think that rule pertains to coaches though, does it?

Coaches don't have "citizenship" for purposes of international basketball, much like it is in soccer. They are free to coach whatever team they wish.

Asyeop
05-15-2012, 10:22 PM
How about Coach Spo? He's young, has a good coaching head on his shoulders, and he's shown that he can manage egos of superstars. Well, at least 3 superstars.

superdave
05-16-2012, 10:57 AM
How about Coach Spo? He's young, has a good coaching head on his shoulders, and he's shown that he can manage egos of superstars. Well, at least 3 superstars.

Did you see the end of the game last night? Mario "Superintendent" Chalmers took the last shot while Lebron, Wade and Bosh watched. That's bad coaching. If the Heat do not win the title this year, especially with the Bulls out of the way in the East, then Spoelstra may not be in Miami next year.

blazindw
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Did you see the end of the game last night? Mario "Superintendent" Chalmers took the last shot while Lebron, Wade and Bosh watched. That's bad coaching. If the Heat do not win the title this year, especially with the Bulls out of the way in the East, then Spoelstra may not be in Miami next year.

Which would give him time to coach the national team. ;)

J/K, I don't think Spo would even be on the list of possible K replacements.

CDu
05-16-2012, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if Spoelstra gets scapegoated. But honestly with Wade and James almost any coach is going to be neutered. And I think Chalmers was the right choice. He certainly has a history of hitting big shots at the end of big games (see the NCAA championship game for reference). And he's a better 3pt shooter than James or Wade. Kudos to Spoelstra for not simply running the same isolation play for James or Wade that teams with superstars so often run. It just didn't work this time.

tommy
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM

In terms of his ability to manage the roster, to strategize, and to maximize the overwhelming talent, I agree with you. Pitino would be an excellent choice.

But as Newton14 mentioned earlier in this thread, there is so much more to this job than just the coaching of the actual Olympic team. It's a multi-year commitment that involves the World Games, other international competitions, and really the running of an entire program here. As Pitino has announced a retirement date (hasn't he?) it seems like he's tired, or tiring, and the idea of taking on running a program like this for multiple years is probably more than he's up for.