PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh. More of the same - academic trouble at UNC (SBI Investigating)

Devil's Advocate
05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
It doesn't sound good. . . again. I have to say that as much as I enjoy the opportunity to "tsk tsk" at UNC once again, even I am kind of hoping the onion is completely peeled at this point.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/874d9ad7e42e4be18a00b8d5be12754f/FBC--North-Carolina-NCAA/

oldnavy
05-05-2012, 01:03 AM
It doesn't sound good. . . again. I have to say that as much as I enjoy the opportunity to "tsk tsk" at UNC once again, even I am kind of hoping the onion is completely peeled at this point.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/874d9ad7e42e4be18a00b8d5be12754f/FBC--North-Carolina-NCAA/

To quote a great move line "I'm shocked to fine gambling going on at your establishment Rick".

Johnny Chill
05-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Aww, has nothing to do with basketball team.

oldnavy
05-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Maybe, or maybe not. Still a lot of names to be released. My depend on how popular that class was with the basketball payers. It sounds more like the Dept of AA Studies is the shaky character in the business, so if some BBallers were in the class and they were allowing that much skating, then why not?

I don't think it would be a lot if any BBallers, but you never can tell. There are very few nice things I can say about Ol Roy, but I do not think he is a cheater or would cover up any misconduct that he was aware of. He seems honest at least on that level. He may be a little disconnect from reality sometime like in the "I didn't know my players were still on the court" during the FSU embaressment, but he is not dumb enough or desperate enough to allow something like this to go on if he knew about it....

OldPhiKap
05-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Maybe, or maybe not. Still a lot of names to be released. My depend on how popular that class was with the basketball payers. It sounds more like the Dept of AA Studies is the shaky character in the business, so if some BBallers were in the class and they were allowing that much skating, then why not?

I don't think it would be a lot if any BBallers, but you never can tell. There are very few nice things I can say about Ol Roy, but I do not think he is a cheater or would cover up any misconduct that he was aware of. He seems honest at least on that level. He may be a little disconnect from reality sometime like in the "I didn't know my players were still on the court" during the FSU embaressment, but he is not dumb enough or desperate enough to allow something like this to go on if he knew about it....

I think both of your points are valid.

I assume the NCAA has to be notified again, and that there may be some further action?

PackMan97
05-05-2012, 09:18 AM
If a basketball player or players were involved, our guess is that either the player and the guilty instructor conspired, or perhaps a grade was just changed. (The question then, it seems to us, is motive).

It’s hard to imagine the basketball program getting their hands dirty in this way.

And of course, this is entirely speculative. There’s no indication of that being an issue at all. Most of the people involved have not been identified.

Maybe State fans will consider that for an encore.

State fans have been all over Swahili and basketball...the question is will anyone listen? There is little doubt that Swahili was taken en masse by athletes and the basketball team.

---------------
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8966885&p=3#MS_120979370

As one former teammate noted: “I think he failed Swahili. Everyone on the team takes that class and I’m pretty sure Will [Graves] was the first one to fail.”

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/October-2010/The-deeper-story-behind-Graves%E2%80%99-dismissal

"I took a [swahili] class last year and I am taking another this year. Maybe I'll use the language on a trip to Africa someday. There's no reason I chose Swahili other than that I thought it would be cool. I enjoy it" - Tyler Hansbrough

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1107210/index.htm

"I hope my Swahili tutor get me right for this summer class!" - Reggie Bullock

http://twitter.com/DaBully35/statuses/68369325907656704

"Done with swahili!" - Reggie Bullock, Jun 13th, 2011 (Summer)

http://twitter.com/DaBully35/statuses/80282401875562496

"My bad y'all Swahili... Lol " - John Henson

http://twitter.com/#!/_John_Henson_/statuses/152651802049921024

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I think both of your points are valid.

I assume the NCAA has to be notified again, and that there may be some further action?

Apparently the university has already notified the NCAA although, according to the report, "there is no evidence that student-athletes received more favorable treatment than students who were not athletes. It also said that no student received a grade without doing course work. The report has been shared with the NCAA, which could not be reached for immediate comment." http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/04/2044178/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html

It would be ironic indeed if it turned out that the irregularities in the African and Afro-American studies Department existed completely independent of athletics and were merely discovered incidentally because one or two students involved were football players.

PackMan97
05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
And some more fodder for those that think this isn't widespread. FWIW - I believe the numbers are for all sports, not just FB. The author made a mistake attributing exceptions to FB only.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8966885&p=7#MS_120999680

By Packfanweb:

This explains how they sign double-digit non-qualifiers, or "committee cases", as they call them, in EVERY recruiting class, then never have them flunk out.

Charlotte Observer Article (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/28/1870685/unc-athletes-caught-in-squeeze.html)

"At UNC, about half of the football recruiting classes over the past six years have been admitted to school through a special committee process required for students who fall below academic requirements."

"At N.C. State - which often recruits the same in-state athletes as UNC - 15 football players have gone before a special admissions committee since 2006 because they did not meet minimum curriculum requirements set by the UNC-system Board of Governors."
Remember that number, 15 State football players from 06-2010 were exceptions. Remember that when you read this:

From the Daily Tar Heel (http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2010/10/fewer_athlete_exceptions_let_in): (football recruits only)

EXCEPTIONS

Number of students granted admission who did not meet minimum

requirements:

-2010: 14

-2009: 16

-2008: 13

-2007: 22

-2006: 27

Look at those exceptions, and tell my there's any other way these guys stayed eligible and graduated besides pure fraud. There's NO WAY you can take this many kids who aren't even remotely qualified to attend your university and keep them all eligible, not legitimately.
State had 15 of these kids in that entire time frame. Avg. 3 per year.
Carolina AVERAGED 18 per YEAR.

And what really burns me is those pretentious pricks rubbing their graduation rate in our faces all these years, when it's now proven to be a total joke....then they wonder why we want to see them get the hammer so badly.

Acymetric
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
27 in one year? That can't be right, can it?

PackMan97
05-05-2012, 09:26 AM
27 in one year? That can't be right, can it?

I'm looking at those numbers and having read the source article, that may be across all sports. The data is unclear.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
State fans have been all over Swahili and basketball...the question is will anyone listen? There is little doubt that Swahili was taken en masse by athletes and the basketball team.

---------------
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8966885&p=3#MS_120979370

As one former teammate noted: “I think he failed Swahili. Everyone on the team takes that class and I’m pretty sure Will [Graves] was the first one to fail.”

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/October-2010/The-deeper-story-behind-Graves%E2%80%99-dismissal

"I took a [swahili] class last year and I am taking another this year. Maybe I'll use the language on a trip to Africa someday. There's no reason I chose Swahili other than that I thought it would be cool. I enjoy it" - Tyler Hansbrough

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1107210/index.htm

"I hope my Swahili tutor get me right for this summer class!" - Reggie Bullock

http://twitter.com/DaBully35/statuses/68369325907656704

"Done with swahili!" - Reggie Bullock, Jun 13th, 2011 (Summer)

http://twitter.com/DaBully35/statuses/80282401875562496

"My bad y'all Swahili... Lol " - John Henson

http://twitter.com/#!/_John_Henson_/statuses/152651802049921024

Okay, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything shady is going on--someone could just be encouraging basketball players to take Swahili because it's an easy class for everyone at UNC.

When my daughter was at Duke, she took beginning Italian, because she wanted to study abroad in Italy. The class was completely legit, but Italian turns out to be a fairly easy language to learn, compared to languages like French or German. About half the members of her small section (15 or 20 students, IIRC) were athletes (not basketball players, as it happens). It's possible, of course, that many Duke athletes have always wanted to learn Italian; it's also possible that athletes may choose certain courses (or be encouraged to choose certain courses) because they will demand less time than others, because they meet at times that don't conflict with practice, and because if several members of a team are taking the same course they can study together for more efficiency.

This may chafe a bit against our most idealized notions about the student-athlete, but I don't think there is anything remotely wrong with it, and there are plenty of non-athletes who choose classes (especially ones they are taking to fill requirements) because they are easy.

gumbomoop
05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Link to another article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/04/3218961/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html

It does appear that this scandal - involving very serious academic fraud - is the result of the actions of soon-to-retire Professor Julius Nyang'oro. [Full disclosure up front: Prof. Nyang'oro holds several advanced degrees, including Duke University, JD, 1990.] How he was allowed to get away with what he did is puzzling, undoubtedly not least to the several other instructors whose assessment of student work was undercut by grade changes. As UNC's reports states, “Our review has exposed numerous violations of professional trust, affecting the relationship of faculty and students and the relationships among faculty colleagues in this department.” Heaven knows how embarrassed his erstwhile colleagues are, or how enraged a few of them surely must be, or what jokes must be endured by the instructors now teaching courses in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.

Much of this stuff seems to have involved summer school independent studies "taught" [or not] by Nyang'oro, whose standards were lax at best, and much more likely simply dishonest and utterly unprofessional. Although I can comprehend why UNC allowed Nyang'oro to depart the chairmanship of the department quietly, and is now allowing him quietly [well, not so quietly, as things have turned out] to retire from the University, IMO they made a mistake in not firing him, at some point. If they needed to keep him around for awhile to gather evidence, ok, but what Nyang'oro did goes well beyond a nice, perhaps even naive, scholar just trying to help out some kids during summer school. I assume that if the unprofessional conduct is sufficiently unprofessional, one can be fired from the faculty of UNC.

It's an interesting little mystery as to why it took years, rather than a few weeks, for this grade-changing stuff to be caught. Perhaps it involved untenured instructors afraid to complain. As I say, a bit of a mystery still.

Whatever else comes out, the stained reputation of a great university is again headline news. I'm looking for some further statement from the University faculty. I myself will be proud of the UNC professoriate if they respond; not so proud if they let this one slide, even out of understandable embarrassment. I assume they will, and probably already have, expressed their dismay intramurally. IMO, they should express their dismay publicly, too.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Link to another article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/04/3218961/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html

It does appear that this scandal - involving very serious academic fraud - is the result of the actions of soon-to-retire Professor Julius Nyang'oro. [Full disclosure up front: Prof. Nyang'oro holds several advanced degrees, including Duke University, JD, 1990.] How he was allowed to get away with what he did is puzzling, undoubtedly not least to the several other instructors whose assessment of student work was undercut by grade changes. As UNC's reports states, “Our review has exposed numerous violations of professional trust, affecting the relationship of faculty and students and the relationships among faculty colleagues in this department.” Heaven knows how embarrassed his erstwhile colleagues are, or how enraged a few of them surely must be, or what jokes must be endured by the instructors now teaching courses in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.

Much of this stuff seems to have involved summer school independent studies "taught" [or not] by Nyang'oro, whose standards were lax at best, and much more likely simply dishonest and utterly unprofessional. Although I can comprehend why UNC allowed Nyang'oro to depart the chairmanship of the department quietly, and is now allowing him quietly [well, not so quietly, as things have turned out] to retire from the University, IMO they made a mistake in not firing him, at some point. If they needed to keep him around for awhile to gather evidence, ok, but what Nyang'oro did goes well beyond a nice, perhaps even naive, scholar just trying to help out some kids during summer school. I assume that if the unprofessional conduct is sufficiently unprofessional, one can be fired from the faculty of UNC.

It's an interesting little mystery as to why it took years, rather than a few weeks, for this grade-changing stuff to be caught. Perhaps it involved untenured instructors afraid to complain. As I say, a bit of a mystery still.

Whatever else comes out, the stained reputation of a great university is again headline news. I'm looking for some further statement from the University faculty. I myself will be proud of the UNC professoriate if they respond; not so proud if they let this one slide, even out of understandable embarrassment. I assume they will, and probably already have, expressed their dismay intramurally. IMO, they should express their dismay publicly, too.

Probably--although it's amazing how little attention one can pay to teaching and get away with it when one has tenure. (Actually changing grades is probably another matter, though, if one could prove that there was no legitimate reason for the change.) It's possible firing a tenured professor might require a lengthy and difficult proceeding that could prove extremely embarrassing to the university, which would make "retirement" a much more attractive option.

gumbomoop
05-05-2012, 10:29 AM
[1] Probably--although it's amazing how little attention one can pay to teaching and get away with it when one has tenure. [2] (Actually changing grades is probably another matter, though, if one could prove that there was no legitimate reason for the change.) [3] It's possible firing a tenured professor might require a lengthy and difficult proceeding that could prove extremely embarrassing to the university, which would make "retirement" a much more attractive option.

Good points.

[1] I hear you on this one. Teaching is not always the top priority of scholars. In some institutions, it's not even very important, compared to scholarly publicatons.

[2] This is clearly one of the two major issues in the UNC report. That the grades seem to have been changed with no consultation with the actual instructor in several of these courses strongly suggests there was no legitimate reason. Thus, it seems just from the statements in the report that this was, unquestionably, academic fraud. Perhaps professoriate-adjudication in such matters involves standing on one's head to avoid the bloody obvious. Otherwise, the idea that there might be anything legitimate about this stuff doesn't pass the laugh test.

[3] Yes, this is probably the explanation. It does, however, imply either that proving the bloody obvious was thought too difficult; or, more likely, that proving the bloody obvious would be simple, and simply embarrassing, the bloody obvious having been ignored for so long.

Because I genuinely respect the academic excellence of so many of the programs at UNC-CH, I hold out the hope that the faculty will make a public statement. I won't exactly hold my breath, but I will hold out hope. UNC is a first-rate university. The faculty have to live up to their own expressed standards. They cannot stay silently embarrassed in the face of this report.

moonpie23
05-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Aww, has nothing to do with basketball team.

be still my heart!!!!

ugh....it's hard to say this, but actually, i would not want that title stripped from them for this reason.......other reasons, maybe, but unc going down in flames would be the end of a college bb era that i've grown up with and the apocalypse soon to follow....

i would rather just see Dr. Rivers (or this year's "dr. rivers" ) arriving for their proctology exam....

mgtr
05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I am confused why no mention was made of a Dean or other UNC administration. I agree that tenured faculty have great latitude, but, when I was in that position, if I did something question (let alone egregious) the Dean would ask me what was going on. Eventually, the dean would whisper in some colleague's ear, and that colleague would inquire. All low key, but if strange things continued, the Academic VP would want to have a little talk, and so on. All very low key, but this would be long before (one hopes) a scandal broke.
In other words, this sounds like a management (or lack thereof) problem. Of course, almost every problem can generally be traced back to poor management, in my experience.

wilko
05-05-2012, 12:16 PM
be still my heart!!!!

ugh....it's hard to say this, but actually, i would not want that title stripped from them for this reason.......other reasons, maybe, but unc going down in flames would be the end of a college bb era that i've grown up with and the apocalypse soon to follow....

i would rather just see Dr. Rivers (or this year's "dr. rivers" ) arriving for their proctology exam....

Must not have been toooo hard...
I'm for whatever causes the Heels faithful embarrasment and pain.
I'm for whatever dissuades athletes (especially good ones) from attending.

If this does any of that to an appreciable degree, then great..

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Good points.

[1] I hear you on this one. Teaching is not always the top priority of scholars. In some institutions, it's not even very important, compared to scholarly publicatons.

[2] This is clearly one of the two major issues in the UNC report. That the grades seem to have been changed with no consultation with the actual instructor in several of these courses strongly suggests there was no legitimate reason. Thus, it seems just from the statements in the report that this was, unquestionably, academic fraud. Perhaps professoriate-adjudication in such matters involves standing on one's head to avoid the bloody obvious. Otherwise, the idea that there might be anything legitimate about this stuff doesn't pass the laugh test.

[3] Yes, this is probably the explanation. It does, however, imply either that proving the bloody obvious was thought too difficult; or, more likely, that proving the bloody obvious would be simple, and simply embarrassing, the bloody obvious having been ignored for so long.

Because I genuinely respect the academic excellence of so many of the programs at UNC-CH, I hold out the hope that the faculty will make a public statement. I won't exactly hold my breath, but I will hold out hope. UNC is a first-rate university. The faculty have to live up to their own expressed standards. They cannot stay silently embarrassed in the face of this report.

You make an excellent point--given what has been reported here it's hard to imagine any legitimate explanation for the grade changes. Looking at the source article again I see that the changes were apparently from temporary grades to permanent grades. Where I teach the most common temporary grade is Incomplete; I'm guessing the original professors may have given incompletes when some of the work was not finished on time (perhaps in part to provide some flexibility for traveling athletes) and these were changed to permanent passing grades before the work was submitted. It's also the practice where I teach to include an incomplete course in the courses attempted for GPA purposes, with no quality points awarded as long as it remains incomplete--thus, it registers as an F in GPA calculation until the permanent grade is given. If that's also true at Carolina it would provide a pretty clear incentive for the grade changes, even if the student theoretically intended to finish the work.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Okay, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything shady is going on--someone could just be encouraging basketball players to take Swahili because it's an easy class for everyone at UNC.

When my daughter was at Duke, she took beginning Italian, because she wanted to study abroad in Italy. The class was completely legit, but Italian turns out to be a fairly easy language to learn, compared to languages like French or German. About half the members of her small section (15 or 20 students, IIRC) were athletes (not basketball players, as it happens). It's possible, of course, that many Duke athletes have always wanted to learn Italian; it's also possible that athletes may choose certain courses (or be encouraged to choose certain courses) because they will demand less time than others, because they meet at times that don't conflict with practice, and because if several members of a team are taking the same course they can study together for more efficiency.

This may chafe a bit against our most idealized notions about the student-athlete, but I don't think there is anything remotely wrong with it, and there are plenty of non-athletes who choose classes (especially ones they are taking to fill requirements) because they are easy.

Weirdly replying to my own post because I can't edit any more--just wanted to make clear now that I've read the linked article more closely that, obviously, it would make a difference whether the basketball players were enrolled in the same "no-show" Swahili class that the football player was in or other, apparently legitimate sections of Swahili. If the former, my argument above may not really apply.

arnie
05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
UNC is between a rock and hard place on this one. Its apparent that signficant fraud has occurred within the Afro-American Studies Department and heads should roll in addition to the "retirement" of the previous department head. However, to critize anyone else in the department or publicly address the issues, would be politically incorrect. I'm sure they hope the issue will simply go away and no action needs be taken. Somehow, I don't think avid State fans will let that happen.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-05-2012, 04:10 PM

When it comes to course selection, word of mouth intelligence from others seems to influence students regarding which courses to take or even which sections to seek out. I've observed such patterns not only among athletes, but also among fraternities.

It was "common knowledge" years ago during my undergraduate days that a certain poli sci prof was supposed to be easy. There were many athletes in his classes.... but there weren't many A's and B's turned out to take some real work. Sometimes classes and/or professors turn out to be rather different than the myth on campus.

camion
05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
UNC is between a rock and hard place on this one. Its apparent that signficant fraud has occurred within the Afro-American Studies Department and heads should roll in addition to the "retirement" of the previous department head. However, to critize anyone else in the department or publicly address the issues, would be politically incorrect. I'm sure they hope the issue will simply go away and no action needs be taken. Somehow, I don't think avid State fans will let that happen.

Though I seldom visit other fan sites I took a look over at Pack Pride and it looks they will be chasing after this like an avid dog. "Avid" isn't quite the adjective though. Many State still hold a grudge from back in the Valvano days.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
When it comes to course selection, word of mouth intelligence from others seems to influence students regarding which courses to take or even which sections to seek out. I've observed such patterns not only among athletes, but also among fraternities.

It was "common knowledge" years ago during my undergraduate days that a certain poli sci prof was supposed to be easy. There were many athletes in his classes.... but there weren't many A's and B's turned out to take some real work. Sometimes classes and/or professors turn out to be rather different than the myth on campus.

Yes, I had such an experience myself meeting a lab science requirement with astronomy--turned out I actually had to do not only the Saturday morning labs but homework observations at night, as well as actually learn a lot about astronomy. Should have taken geology, I guess...;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes, I had such an experience myself meeting a lab science requirement with astronomy--turned out I actually had to do not only the Saturday morning labs but homework observations at night, as well as actually learn a lot about astronomy. Should have taken geology, I guess...;)
I'm happy to say that the professor became a friend for life and his class is one I actually remember much about even today. Others who took his courses have said the same thing. It would be easy to look at the high count of athletes each semester and conclude that this was a course designed for jocks to stay eligible. All is not as it appears!

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Intro to Jazz with Paul Jeffrey. Everyone took that course for an easy A. There were a handful of athletes who dutifully sat in the back row of Baldwin earning their grade when I took the course... which I totally did because I wanted to learn about jazz. :D

OldPhiKap
05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Intro to Jazz with Paul Jeffrey. Everyone took that course for an easy A. There were a handful of athletes who dutifully sat in the back row of Baldwin earning their grade when I took the course... which I totally did because I wanted to learn about jazz. :D

I took a Jazz Improv class with Paul Jeffrey where you had to play your instrument. Not an easy class to meet his standards.

Jderf
05-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I took a Jazz Improv class with Paul Jeffrey where you had to play your instrument. Not an easy class to meet his standards.

A lot of professors turn out to be completely different people depending on whether or not you take their intro classes or their higher level courses. I had one philosophy prof in particular who was known as an easy A, but when I took a grad-level course with him, it turned out to be a slaughterfest. Toughest B+ I ever earned.

MCFinARL
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
A lot of professors turn out to be completely different people depending on whether or not you take their intro classes or their higher level courses. I had one philosophy prof in particular who was known as an easy A, but when I took a grad-level course with him, it turned out to be a slaughterfest. Toughest B+ I ever earned.

That's a really good point. A lot of profs probably don't take the intro courses all that seriously and don't have very high expectations for student performance. But in an upper level class, they are more engaged, have higher expectations, and may see their role as enforcing the standards of their profession, rather than imparting a dollop of general information about the field to undergrads who will need no more.

Slackerb
05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Well when I was attending Swahili at Duke everyone thought it was the easiest class ever and it was full of athletes, but let me tell you that Swahili is not an easy language and that the professor took it very seriously. That was the hardest A+ of all the A+ grades I recieved.

camion
05-07-2012, 10:42 AM
The academic fraud news has made it past the borders of NC. There is a blurb on it from Inside Higher Ed.

A link (http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2012/05/07/academic-fraud-unc#.T6fHtzHP7lE.email)

Slackerb
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
"On Monday, Tom Ross, the UNC system president, said in a statement that he saw no need to look further into the academic improprieties.

“I believe that this was an isolated situation and that the campus has taken appropriate steps to correct problems and put additional safeguards in place,” Ross said."

OldPhiKap
05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
"On Monday, Tom Ross, the UNC system president, said in a statement that he saw no need to look further into the academic improprieties.

“I believe that this was an isolated situation and that the campus has taken appropriate steps to correct problems and put additional safeguards in place,” Ross said."

"Nothing to see here . . . just keep moving . . . ."

JimBD
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM

I hope this is the case and that the issue goes no deeper. But I am still suspicious. Whenever, I see athletes involved in academic fraud, I can't help but wonder how deeply the athletic department was involved. If an athletic department is willing to accept cheating to keep an athlete qualified, chances are pretty good that there was also some cheating in recruiting the athlete.

hq2
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Hope this doesn't include the B-Ball team. One of the great things about the Duke-Carolina rivalry has always been that both programs were
(relatively speaking) paragons of academic virtue. Much as I detested Deano, he always made sure that his players graduated (if they intended
to), and that they really did their school work. Same for Duke, obviously. If Carolina were caught cheating, it would sure take away a lot of the
shine on the rivalry.

PackMan97
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
If Carolina were caught cheating, it would sure take away a lot of the
shine on the rivalry.

Carolina HAS BEEN caught cheating.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I suspect that if there were a number of Duke basketball players caught up in an academic "issue" there would be very few Carolina fans who would feel bad about that.

So I guess I'm just reciprocating in advance.

Lennies
05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope this is the case and that the issue goes no deeper. But I am still suspicious. Whenever, I see athletes involved in academic fraud, I can't help but wonder how deeply the athletic department was involved. If an athletic department is willing to accept cheating to keep an athlete qualified, chances are pretty good that there was also some cheating in recruiting the athlete.

The fact that they let the department chair retire with pension certainly makes me suspicious that they knew about it, or they know there's more to find.

gumbomoop
05-08-2012, 02:11 PM

"Nothing to see here . . . just keep moving . . . ."

Thanks to Slackerb for the quotation. Here's a link to Raleigh News & Observer story: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/07/2050241/unc-football-basketball-players.html

As to OldPhiKap's point, I'm of 2 minds. Ross didn't "say" much of anything, so in that sense there's nothing to see here. But in so doing he may have said quite a bit. For me, the key words, because so vague, in Ross's statement are "situation," "the campus," and "additional safeguards."

"Situation" is imprecise enough to obscure the fundamental academic issues at the heart of the scandal.

Not clear who constitutes "the campus," a lovely misdirection word. I'm still waiting for some comment from the faculty, who, at least internally, presumably had something to say about academic fraud perpetrated by one of their own, against others of their own. Not only did a faculty member subvert the academic integrity of the institution, but he did so by subverting the academic/professional judgment of several colleagues.

The adjective "additional" is a nice - i.e., "nice" - touch, too, as it implies, incorrectly in the event, that some safeguards against professorial fraud of this particular sort were actually in place.

I don't care whether the UNC basketball team is touched by this. Actually, I hope not, though I guess I wouldn't be heartbroken. I'm more interested in the impact of this scandal on the reputation of a great university, which, IMO, isn't best served by Ross's attempt to stop well short of a real explanation.

It's now a commonplace that "It's the coverup, not the crime......" I guess I might be convinced that Ross isn't, literally, covering up. But he does seem intent on making the scandal go away without a full accounting. That seems close to a distinction without a difference.

I don't "blame" Ross for hoping that this goes away with no further inquiry. I'm skeptical that his muddy statement - nothing to see here, indeed - serves the long-term interests of the university. But maybe the partial and half-truths in his statement will suffice for the several more directly interested constituencies.

camion
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM

The big weasel word in the sentence for me is "believe." You can believe anything you want with or without proof. If he had said that he had "verified" that it was an isolated situation then I might believe he had really investigated.

Olympic Fan
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Just curious ... would the poly sci prof you're talking about be nicknamed "Suitcase"?

When I was at Duke we had Theodore Ropp in the History Department. He was a world renowned military historian, who taught an undergrad course in the subject that was fondly known as "Guns and Boats" -- it was packed with athletes. It was regarded as an easy B, basically because Ropp had such contempt for the undergradate student that he was impresed by the slightest show of intelligence. But he was an interesting teacher -- his account of the Italian Navy's experiment with heavy, muzzle-loading rifled cannon had his class rolling on the floor in laughter.

I signed up for a higher level course that was supposed to be taught by Ropp. Instead, he was on sabbatical and his course was taught by a visiting professor at UNC. The first day of the class, he told us how overrated Duke students were and warned us that he was going to make us work. He told us he would be the toughest grader we ever saw. I thought about dropping the class, but I was (and still am) very interested in the subject, so I stuck it out. It was one of the easiest classes I had at Duke, even easier than my first class with Ropp.

I know it's not fair, but ever since, my view of UNC academics was shaped by this UNC prof who thought he was the toughest teacher we'd ever see ... and was instead the easiest.

PS I later had a grad-level seminar with Professor Ropp and had to work my butt off to get a B. He was a totally different prof at the grad level and when he taught his introductory undergrad course. Brilliant historian -- even if Guns and Boats was a snap course.

hurleyfor3
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Easy A? That's like, every class that didn't take place in the Gross Chem, Physics, or Engineering buildings, right?

BD80
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Easy A? That's like, every class that didn't take place in the Gross Chem, Physics, or Engineering buildings, right?

And he backpedals, holding his follow-through, as the ball scorches the net for three. "That should be a 4 point shot!" shouts Dickie V.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Just curious ... would the poly sci prof you're talking about be nicknamed "Suitcase"?
Yes, indeed it is! He was quite the character as was Dr. Rankin, a contemporary of his from graduate school days through their time as professors. Another character was known as "Ma" Cheek.

I remember hearing many of the guys talk about "Guns and Boats." Always wanted to take that course, but couldn't work it in. Do you remember a professor known for his model trains? His course was also popular among my student athlete friends as was a history course taught by a professor known as "Dirt Farmer."

miramar
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
After all, ol' Roy says everything was above board:

“The players were eligible to be enrolled in those classes, as were non-student-athletes, and they did the work that was assigned to them,” Williams said through an athletic department spokesman.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/08/2052456/roy-williams-defends-players-who.html#storylink=cpy

If I'm reading this correctly, Roy thinks that as long as regular students are enrolled in the course, then it's OK for the athletes to get bogus credits because non-athletes are doing the same.

I know I'm convinced.

sagegrouse
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Yes, indeed it is! He was quite the character as was Dr. Rankin, a contemporary of his from graduate school days through their time as professors. Another character was known as "Ma" Cheek.

I remember hearing many of the guys talk about "Guns and Boats." Always wanted to take that course, but couldn't work it in. Do you remember a professor known for his model trains? His course was also popular among my student athlete friends as was a history course taught by a professor known as "Dirt Farmer."

Suitcase Simpson -- folks lined up to get into his class.

Roma Cheek was a pain in the patooty and not a particularly easy grader. Neither she nor Suitcase were on the graduate Poli Sci faculty. Her class emphasized rote learning, and it was positively dreadful. One of my classmates gave an honest assessment of the course on the question on the final exam and got rewarded with a really bad grade: "Your answer to the final question was unsatisfactory," wrote Prof. Cheek.

Dr. Rankin was as honored and respected as anyone on the faculty. He was a member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission and was the speaker at my sister's graduation in 1967. President Doug Knight liked internal speakers and wanted graduation to be a family affair. The local KKK did not take well to Rankin as the graduation speaker and began calling in bomb threats. After awhile, the ceremony in the Indoor Stadium (Eddie C. was still AD) came to a halt, and we all walked across campus to the Chapel to complete the ceremony.

The "basket-weaving" course at the time was in the Education Department -- "Plastic Art in the Public Schools." Students had to make stabiles and mobiles a la Alexander Calder (well, not exactly).

sagegrouse

Lennies
05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
How do all these bogus courses affect Carolina's APR? What about the degrees the students (supposedly) earned?

Olympic Fan
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Interesting story by Ivan Maesel on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7911004/sources-acc-vote-fine-north-carolina-tar-heels-100000-comes-one-vote-short

Apparenrly the ACC voted 7-4 (UNC did not vote) to tack a $100,000 fine to the penalties imposed by the NCAA. Although that is a significant majority, it's one vote short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. That's why it ended up just being a public reprimand from the conference.

BD80
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Interesting story by Ivan Maesel on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7911004/sources-acc-vote-fine-north-carolina-tar-heels-100000-comes-one-vote-short

Apparenrly the ACC voted 7-4 (UNC did not vote) to tack a $100,000 fine to the penalties imposed by the NCAA. Although that is a significant majority, it's one vote short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. That's why it ended up just being a public reprimand from the conference.

Wonder which way Duke voted?

hurleyfor3
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Wonder which way Duke voted?

I'm guessing UMiami and FSU voted nay as former/potential probationees. The other two nays prolly came from the set {Clemson, Maryland, VPI}. Just a hunch and some process of elimination.

I always wonder how independent ncsu is from unc in matters such as this. They're the same board of regents and the same people managing the endowments. (Every unc school's endowment is under the supervision of the UNC Management Company, but the endowments themselves are separate. No idea how similar the asset allocations are from school to school, although this should be public record.)

PackMan97
05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/11/2057064/unc-chapel-hill-might-take-action.html
Apparently, Professor Julius was switching lecture classes to independent study courses without permission and may be in a bit of trouble. One course in particular that is in question is from LAST SUMMER! Not three years ago before this entire mess, LAST SUMMER! Less than 12 months ago.

Also in the article, new attendance data is out. Olympic sport athletes made up 20% of the attendance of these classes pushing the % athlete numbers to 58%. That's right, 58% of the students in these fraudulent courses were athletes.

Don't worry though, it's all cool according to the administration over in Cheater Hill

But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports.

The investigation showed no motive for the improprieties, but did say the department was poorly run, which made it difficult to piece together what had happened. The university has set new policies and procedures to provide better oversight and record-keeping, as well as tougher academic standards for independent study classes.

University officials say there is no evidence of a concerted effort to help student athletes with easy grades so they could remain eligible to play.

In other news, Chris Hawkins (drug dealer, agent runner and disassociated former player after providing improper benefits) was arrested for firing a gun into an occupied dwelling.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/10/2056047/former-unc-football-player-hawkins.html

CameronBornAndBred
05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Don't worry though, it's all cool according to the administration over in Cheater Hill

This line left a few words off...

But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports, to which officials replied "Thank God none of them were basketball players!"

Jderf
05-11-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/11/2057064/unc-chapel-hill-might-take-action.html
Apparently, Professor Julius was switching lecture classes to independent study courses without permission and may be in a bit of trouble. One course in particular that is in question is from LAST SUMMER! Not three years ago before this entire mess, LAST SUMMER! Less than 12 months ago.

Also in the article, new attendance data is out. Olympic sport athletes made up 20% of the attendance of these classes pushing the % athlete numbers to 58%. That's right, 58% of the students in these fraudulent courses were athletes.

I love that UNC's stance is essentially "But hey! Look! Regular students were cheating too! It wasn't just the athletes. So it's okay then, right?"

gumbomoop
05-11-2012, 11:16 AM
There's an understandable desire over in CH to "get beyond" this embarrassing mess. If there are any hints of trouble for the hoops team, maybe even a semi-cover-up. But, having posted twice in this thread about the importance of UNC faculty members speaking publicly to this scandal, I am personally pleased to see an actual faculty member openly express [front page link to WRAL.com story] some criticism, using the word "rogues" to make a serious point, with some dry wit. ["That's a lot of rogues." Good one.]

The prof who's quoted says other faculty are also "sickened," and adds the important point that other members of the department in question are responsible teachers and scholars. That department has been undermined by the rogue, sure enough.

Maybe the fact that this history prof has spoken publicly will lead other faculty to do the same. And I do realize that faculty members can sometimes jump to conclusions, where athletes are concerned..... In this case, however, the central issue, which seems to be disputed by no one, even if delicately sidestepped by Roy and possibly others, is academic fraud perpetrated against faculty colleagues, on a matter of fundamental institutional and professional standards.

Jderf
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
This line left a few words off...

But university officials say student athletes and non-student athletes were treated equally when it came to the no-show classes and unauthorized grade changes. Figures released Thursday show four non-student athletes received them along with three football players and three other student athletes who are not in revenue-generating sports, to which officials replied "Thank God none of them were basketball players!"

Yes indeed. "Thank god nothing important was damaged! It was only our academic integrity. Whew!" This is simply too hilarious!

Why excuse me sir, but your priorities are showing.

Nepos
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes indeed. "Thank god nothing important was damaged! It was only our academic integrity. Whew!" This is simply too hilarious!

Why excuse me sir, but your priorities are showing.

athletics : academics

a) icing : cake

b) icing : broccoli

c) icing : hockey

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
More breaking news about the academics problems at Carolina: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/14/2063552/district-attorney-asks-sbi-to.html

moonpie23
05-14-2012, 01:51 PM
if new information is brought forth, is the NCAA back on the case? or are they all done dispensing penalties...?

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
if new information is brought forth, is the NCAA back on the case? or are they all done dispensing penalties...?
Different arenas/venues, different penalties

sagegrouse
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
More breaking news about the academics problems at Carolina: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/14/2063552/district-attorney-asks-sbi-to.html

The DA in Orange and Chatham counties, Jim Woodall, has asked the State Bureau of Investigation to investigate possibly illegal activities in the Afro-American Studies department at UNC. Whoah! This could be significant.

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
The DA in Orange and Chatham counties, Jim Woodall, has asked the State Bureau of Investigation to investigate possibly illegal activities in the Afro-American Studies department at UNC. Whoah! This could be significant.

sagegrouse
Don't forget that the Secretary of State was conducting and investigation of one of the agents..... anyone seen the results of that investigation?

OldPhiKap
05-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Don't forget that the Secretary of State was conducting and investigation of one of the agents..... anyone seen the results of that investigation?

Mike Nifong had it sealed in a mayonnaise jar, and it's sitting on Funk and Wagnall's front porch.

Newton_14
05-14-2012, 09:14 PM

With the SBI involved, it is past time for UNC to step up, admit they have major issues, and clean house. Maybe the SBI involvement will be the final straw, but they are now up against it again. Not sure what it is going to take, and if I had to guess, UNC will stick with the status quo of "This was one rogue professor, who is no longer with the University, and we are confident that The Carolina Way is back in and stronger than ever".

They will then continue with sweeping this under the rug where the other "rogues" were swept to. At some point however, the rogues will be poking out the sides of the rug, and the piper will have to be paid.

What a mess..

oldnavy
05-15-2012, 05:12 AM
With the SBI involved, it is past time for UNC to step up, admit they have major issues, and clean house. Maybe the SBI involvement will be the final straw, but they are now up against it again. Not sure what it is going to take, and if I had to guess, UNC will stick with the status quo of "This was one rogue professor, who is no longer with the University, and we are confident that The Carolina Way is back in and stronger than ever".

They will then continue with sweeping this under the rug where the other "rogues" were swept to. At some point however, the rogues will be poking out the sides of the rug, and the piper will have to be paid.

What a mess..

In an earlier post I questioned the fact that they were allowing the Dept Head to retire in July. Although I did not suggest and investigation into this by the SBI, I thought as a tax payer that it stunck to hhigh heaven.

In the Navy we had this thing called a "show cause" process/hearing, where when someone (mostly of higher rank) was found to be or suspected of skirting the lines of duty by basically doing little to nothing, we would put a team together and put the burden of proof on the individual as to why they should stay on active duty. Sounds like a fabulous idea for this situation and do it for the entire department....

I hate the fact that mine and your tax money will be going to this slacker for the rest of his life if in fact he did as little as has been suggested. Tenure may of had it place at one time in academia but, now it seems to be a goal just to get protection to do as little as possible. The whole system probably needs overhaul.

chrishoke
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/12/2130706/broken-hearts.html

Excellent editorial from the Raleigh News and Observer.

-jk
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM

What I found most amusing was the list of tags on the article: "Tags: UNC-Chapel Hill | academic scandal | Holden Thorp | Julius Nyang'oro | Wade Hargrove".

No "Baddour". No "Davis". Hell, no "football" or "athletics" even.

Gotta love the N&O.

-jk

roywhite
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Thorp has tackled the issue at those points where The N&O has obtained records and reported on what happened, or didn’t happen, but he hasn’t seemed to push for a really aggressive investigation – even while the university’s academic standards have been corrupted and the “Carolina way” has become a joke.

Ouch.

-bdbd
06-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm out of the immediate NC area, but found this link FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF THE USA TODAY WEBSITE:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/06/report-unc-athletes-took-suspect-classes/1

Man, you can't BUY publicity like that! Way to go Carolina!

OldPhiKap
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm out of the immediate NC area, but found this link FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF THE USA TODAY WEBSITE:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/06/report-unc-athletes-took-suspect-classes/1

Man, you can't BUY publicity like that! Way to go Carolina!

'Other records show that football and basketball players made up a majority of the enrollments of nine particularly suspect classes in which the professors listed as instructors have denied involvement, and have claimed that signatures were forged on records related to them."

Which basketball players?

SMO
06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
'Other records show that football and basketball players made up a majority of the enrollments of nine particularly suspect classes in which the professors listed as instructors have denied involvement, and have claimed that signatures were forged on records related to them."

I'm guessing the ones that get to leave the court first in the unlikely event that a riot ensue.

Kimist
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM

While I certainly do not know the accuracy of the following, it is one of several comments appearing with the Raleigh News & Observer article:

"I still can't understand why everyone is dancing around UNC's basketball program and focussing on football players. The basketball players were enrolled in these classes at about the same rate as football players... there are just fewer of them.

Every media member seems to want do tap-dance around the fact that every single player from the 2009 championship team took Swahili from Professor Kangaroo.

THAT is the story but everyone in the media seems afraid of it."

You may wish to review the other reader comments accompanying the cited N&O editorial.

k

moonpie23
06-13-2012, 12:44 AM
drinks on me if they vacate the 09....

ForkFondler
06-13-2012, 09:00 AM
drinks on me if they vacate the 09....

That's not enough. They need to vacate the Helms too.

MCFinARL
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
While I certainly do not know the accuracy of the following, it is one of several comments appearing with the Raleigh News & Observer article:

"I still can't understand why everyone is dancing around UNC's basketball program and focussing on football players. The basketball players were enrolled in these classes at about the same rate as football players... there are just fewer of them.

Every media member seems to want do tap-dance around the fact that every single player from the 2009 championship team took Swahili from Professor Kangaroo.

THAT is the story but everyone in the media seems afraid of it."

You may wish to review the other reader comments accompanying the cited N&O editorial.

k

I had seen this reported somewhere earlier, and have now found an online interview with Tyler Hansbrough from a Memphis newspaper covering the 2008 tournament in which Hansbrough reported having taken Swahili for three years.

"Sijambo!" he said. "That's 'good morning.' I wouldn't say I'm ready to go to Kenya right this minute, but I know a little something or two."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/Apr/05/carolina-star-an-interesting-case/?preventMobileRedirect=1

roywhite
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
That's not enough. They need to vacate the Helms too.

The light blue folks fans probably long for the day that the Helms "national title" was their biggest scandal.

dukejames
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
The light blue folks fans probably long for the day that the Helms "national title" was their biggest scandal.

I am not sure they really understand what trouble they are in.

Verga3
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Five or six years ago, an entering UNC freshman football player told me that he was ushered to a separate line to register and drop/add in the fall. Courses (professors?) were "suggested" (selected?) to him, based upon the realities of his football commitment. I know that this kind of process is probably not unique at many schools. My experience is that Duke does things much differently.

A fine institution is being more than tarnished by this apparrant institutional corruption. Where's Butch.

DukeWarhead
06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I know that this kind of process is probably not unique at many schools. My experience is that Duke does things much differently..

I just taught a 200-level History course at a PAC-12 school. I had two football players as students. Both of them showed up for (almost) every class, took every quiz and test, and earned passing grades. One of them earned an A. I also had coaches contact me to check on the status of their attendance and grades. I was pretty impressed by that. It undercuts the notion that the UNC deal is endemic throughout all big colleges. Needless to say, I kept hard copies of all their quizes and tests - just in case anyone comes looking for them later. But they were indeed scholar-atheletes.

gumbomoop
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM

I don't think I understand either, in the sense of predicting among several possible scenarios.

Which are the influential constituencies, what are they thinking, what will they do?

I continue to wonder what faculty members think, whether more than just one or two will insist on a thorough investigation, and whether faculty opinion, even if appalled, united, and vocal, will have any impact.

I have to believe that there are plenty of folks, in several different constituencies, who do have some understanding of the impact of this on the reputation, not to mention the substance, of a great university.

Verga3
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I just taught a 200-level History course at a PAC-12 school. I had two football players as students. Both of them showed up for (almost) every class, took every quiz and test, and earned passing grades. One of them earned an A. I also had coaches contact me to check on the status of their attendance and grades. I was pretty impressed by that. It undercuts the notion that the UNC deal is endemic throughout all big colleges. Needless to say, I kept hard copies of all their quizes and tests - just in case anyone comes looking for them later. But they were indeed scholar-atheletes.

Glad to hear of your personal experience. I'm hopeful that this is a norm in the top football programs. There are certainly scholar-athletes at other schools, including UNC, that could have made it in without a pre-admission "curve" and the class "alchemy" apparantly instituted at UNC. They got caught. Perhaps other college programs, using similar methods, will receive a wake-up call. The image and the reality of a great learning institution will unfortunately be tarnished for a long time.

diablesseblu
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I, for one, would like to hear more about Nike's 500K contribution to Prof. N's nonprofit. Have only seen scant references to it on the web.

It seems, at least from outward appearances, to be a quid pro quo.

Just sayin'.

moonpie23
06-13-2012, 11:08 PM

i don't think they're in ANY trouble.....the "punishment" has already come down no matter how much more they find...

oldnavy
06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
i don't think they're in ANY trouble.....the "punishment" has already come down no matter how much more they find...

I wouldn't be so sure. The SBI being involved and the WolfPack faithful are a bad combination for UNC. UNC has a lot of influence but it would be hard to penetrate the SBI and create a cover up especially with the Wolfies on their heels......

Indoor66
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't be so sure. The SBI being involved and the WolfPack faithful are a bad combination for UNC. UNC has a lot of influence but it would be hard to penetrate the SBI and create a cover up especially with the Wolfies on their heels......

And you know what happens when a wolf meets a sheep. :cool:

moonpie23
06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't put too much trust in the SBI. they aren't boasting a stellar record of late.

too many lawyers and judges want the "minor indiscretions" at UNC to just go away. the sheep think they've been punished enough.

Jderf
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I, for one, would like to hear more about Nike's 500K contribution to Prof. N's nonprofit. Have only seen scant references to it on the web.

It seems, at least from outward appearances, to be a quid pro quo.

Just sayin'.

Wow. This post is potentially explosive, but I've heard absolutely nothing about such a "donation." Can't seem to find anything on the interwebs about it either. Anybody care to chime in with some facts/links?

Duke_92
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Wow. This post is potentially explosive, but I've heard absolutely nothing about such a "donation." Can't seem to find anything on the interwebs about it either. Anybody care to chime in with some facts/links?

I think the reference is to a gift from the Nike Foundation to Carolina for Kibera. I don't think there is anything scandalous here. CFK (http://cfk.unc.edu/) does a lot of good for folks in Kenya. I've been following them for a few years now and I know the charity pretty well (My research specialty is international development). Nyang'oro was (is??) on the board, but Rye Barcott (along with some residents of Kibera) was the force behind getting this organization going.

Was the Nike Foundation being strategic about giving to a UNC based charity? Maybe. At the same time Christopher Elias serves of the boards of the Nike Foundation and the Duke Global Health Institute (http://www.aspenideas.org/speaker/christopher-elias). You could come up with conspiracy theories there, but that would seem like a stretch.

BD80
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I think the reference is to a gift from the Nike Foundation to Carolina for Kibera. I don't think there is anything scandalous here. CFK (http://cfk.unc.edu/) does a lot of good for folks in Kenya. I've been following them for a few years now and I know the charity pretty well (My research specialty is international development). Nyang'oro was (is??) on the board, but Rye Barcott (along with some residents of Kibera) was the force behind getting this organization going.

Was the Nike Foundation being strategic about giving to a UNC based charity? Maybe. At the same time Christopher Elias serves of the boards of the Nike Foundation and the Duke Global Health Institute (http://www.aspenideas.org/speaker/christopher-elias). You could come up with conspiracy theories there, but that would seem like a stretch.

One should always stretch before leaping ...

devilish
06-15-2012, 10:01 AM
This thing just will not go away... http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/14/2137034/former-unc-employee-linked-to.html

Funny that N&O gives partial credit to State fans for keeping the heat on the University.

One of the funnier comments..."A comprehensive, independent investigation is required; it should be led by two distinguished UNC Law School alumni, both with impecible records for superior ethics and integrity: John Edwards and Mike Nifong."

PackMan97
06-20-2012, 02:50 AM
JPScott over at PackPride found this gem from 2010 before the "Football" scandal blew up. Let me quote parts of page 5.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100402/SPORTS0609/4020331/They-got-game-do-NCAA-players-graduate-

Simply put, clustering is when a high percentage of teammates receive the same degree. Among North Carolina's graduates, communications and Afro-American and African studies stand out as the majors of choice.

From the 2005 team, all seven Tar Heels who graduated had the same major -- Afro-American and African studies.

That includes Sean May of the Sacramento Kings, the Bloomington prep star and son of former IU star Scott May. Sean May entered the NBA after three years in college, capped by an NCAA title in 2005. He graduated last summer.

May said he started as a double major with communications, but dropped it so he could graduate faster after leaving for the NBA.

Afro-American and African studies, May said, offered "more independent electives, independent study. I could take a lot of classes during the season. Communications, I had to be there in the actual classroom. We just made sure all the classes I had to take, I could take during the summer."

moonpie23
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
so, maybe the 05 AND the 09 title?

wow....drinks will REALLY be on me if those are vacated.....

dig wuffies, dig!!!!

davekay1971
06-20-2012, 09:50 AM
so, maybe the 05 AND the 09 title?

wow....drinks will REALLY be on me if those are vacated.....

dig wuffies, dig!!!!

UNC will still hang the banners, right next to the 3 legitimate natties and the Helms Award. They'll just micro stitch "Later Vacated" along the bottom corner.

diablesseblu
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
The "Indy Star" article has some fascinating (and new to me) info. All seven players of the 2005 championship team majored in AAS.

So, they were tracked towards a major where they could take mostly summer courses, apparently many of which did not involve having to attend class? (What a recruiting tool!)

UNC's response:

"John Blanchard, senior associate athletic director at North Carolina, said it's reasonable that people in a peer group might gravitate to the same major. He said clustering "just doesn't bother us here."

"The question is whether they are getting a good education," he said, "and the answer is a resounding yes."

Sounds to me like they ought to be more "bothered" than they apparently are. What a "Carolina Way" money quote.

killerleft
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
JPScott over at PackPride found this gem from 2010 before the "Football" scandal blew up. Let me quote parts of page 5.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100402/SPORTS0609/4020331/They-got-game-do-NCAA-players-graduate-

Scott May:
"We just made sure all the classes I had to take, I could take during the summer."

That's an ouchie in Chapaheeya, for sure. I'm sure the questions that quote brings up have been asked already. I wonder what the answers were, and if the standard UNC basketball graduate completed most work toward graduating (or just staying eligible to play ball) through this method.

Most online degree classes (if my wife's Master's experience is standard, anyway) have a fair amount of group participation and conversations with the profs. It certainly looks as if Kaplan University sets much higher standards than UNC does. I've done a fair amount of idependent study, maybe I could become a Doctor of Thinkology, the Carolina Way.

MCFinARL
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
The "Indy Star" article has some fascinating (and new to me) info. All seven players of the 2005 championship team majored in AAS.

So, they were tracked towards a major where they could take mostly summer courses, apparently many of which did not involve having to attend class? (What a recruiting tool!)

UNC's response:

"John Blanchard, senior associate athletic director at North Carolina, said it's reasonable that people in a peer group might gravitate to the same major. He said clustering "just doesn't bother us here."

"The question is whether they are getting a good education," he said, "and the answer is a resounding yes."

Sounds to me like they ought to be more "bothered" than they apparently are. What a "Carolina Way" money quote.

Well, to be fair here, I think May's comments about independent study and summer courses were focused on completing his degree later, while in the NBA, not on when he was at UNC. While obviously some significant questions have been raised about what has been going on in the Af-Am Studies Department at UNC, the fact by itself that a university department would be willing to accommodate a professional athlete who wanted to complete his degree with a combination of summer study and independent study during the season doesn't necessarily raise a red flag--it all depends on the content of those courses. It seems likely, for example, that Kyrie Irving will need to put together something similar if he hopes to keep his promise to his Dad to get his degree within 5 years of leaving school for the NBA.

BD80
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

... May said he started as a double major with communications, but dropped it so he could graduate faster after leaving for the NBA.

Afro-American and African studies, May said, offered "more independent electives, independent study. I could take a lot of classes during the season. Communications, I had to be there in the actual classroom. We just made sure all the classes I had to take, I could take during the summer."

I am amused that he felt he actually had to attend class. Sounds like there was a failure to communicate ...

wilko
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I think the Pack is doing a great job of making the Heel faithful squirm. I enjoy the fruits of their labor as much as anyone.
Their dogged (pun intended) pursuit of this is commendable.

But really ... if they cant build themselves up; has the mission become to tear down others?

I'd like to think they would be satisfied with imploding UNC. But, it occurs to me we may next...
Anyone else share this concern?

roywhite
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I think the Pack is doing a great job of making the Heel faithful squirm. I enjoy the fruits of their labor as much as anyone.

But really ... if they cant build themselves up; has the mission become to tear down others?

I'd like to think they would be satisfied with imploding UNC. But, it occurs to me we may next...

No, I think NC State has far greater enmity toward the Heels than toward us Blue Devils.
NC State vs UNC is not quite the Hatfields and McCoys, but there is some real animosity, whereas Duke and NC State is more a rivalry than a feud.

Just my .02 from living in these parts, and having some family members of both the ram and lupine persuasion.

PackMan97
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Just beat Carolina often enough and we'll be BFFs to the end.

It's pretty clear that Duke has active checks and balances in place to make sure that students go to class, do the work and don't cheat. See Greg Newton. Until this scandal broke have you EVER heard of a Carolina basketball player get into academic trouble?

Duke athletes don't graduate at a significantly higher rate than non-athletes. I believe that black basketball and football players have SIGNIFICANTLY higher graduation rate than black non-athletes at Carolina..and that's saying a lot when your school wide graduation rate is quite high. IIRC, the the difference is in the mid 20%'s (as in 65% rate for black non-athletes vs 88% for football and 91% for basketball vs high 80's for all students).

In addition, I've heard some UNC athletes that sound like they could barely read a children's book (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JieHmC9DH8)...I've very rarely (if ever) felt the same way about a Duke athlete.

In closing, I think many (most) State fans don't feel the same hatred toward Duke because our gripe with you guys is with regards to on the court success (or lack thereof). With UNC-CH it goes so much deeper. It's like oil and vinegar, yin and yang, black and white, ultra-liberal vs practical conservative, tree hugging vs bricks and mortar, it's about the Carolina Way being a complete fraud and hearing about amphibious jokes for the past 25 years and being told if "you can't go to college go to state".

So relax, we don't have a target on you guys...after all we know that K is getting up in the years and we'll just let father time take care of our problem :)

chrishoke
06-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Why should we be worried? We are not cheating and covering up like the Heels. If we were, we would deserve their venom and I would join them.

wilko
06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Just beat Carolina often enough and we'll be BFFs to the end.
I hope we can live up to that..

So relax, we don't have a target on you guys...after all we know that K is getting up in the years and we'll just let father time take care of our problem :)

Didnt you watch "Dollhouse"? That was an R&D project from DUMC. We are growing a clone to upload his brain into as we speak..

wilko
06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Why should we be worried? We are not cheating and covering up like the Heels. If we were, we would deserve their venom and I would join them.

Never meant to mipy we HAD an issue to worry about.
No one likes every move, move statement, every gesture scrutinized to the Nth degree regardless, if there's merit to it.
Folks harp on flops and a Duke bias as it is...

Duke79UNLV77
06-20-2012, 12:34 PM

were tracked towards a major where they could take mostly summer courses, apparently many of which did not involve having to attend class? (What a recruiting tool!)

1. So, all of the basketball players just happened to gravitate to the fraudulent department. (See also http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Charlotte-Marine-finds-peace-through-charity-in-Kenya-120271264.html; http://twitter.com/_john_henson_/status/152651802049921024; http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2007/03/14/first.person0319/).

2. Besides the outright fraud, the department just happened to give out an overwhelming amount of A's.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2011/09/col_0907

3. The athletics academic adviser followed Ole Roy from Kansas to UNC.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2003/jul/03/ku_adviser_follows/

4. What does it take to flunk one of the fraudulent classes? Be a detriment to the basketball team on the court!

As one former teammate noted: "I think [Will Graves] failed Swahili. Everyone on the team takes that class and I'm pretty sure Will was the first one to fail."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/forum_topic/8422734/?d_comments_page=1

5. Ole Roy is the same guy who tried to justify Deshawn Stevenson traveling from California to North Carolina and improving his SATs b 700 points.

diablesseblu
06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
My impression from the ones I've talked to is that this goes back to the Valvano days.

The State faithful just want the same level of scrutiny here that their program endured then.

At least in terms of the academic portion of this, UNC seems to be getting away with "nothing to see here, let's move along."

killerleft
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
My impression from the ones I've talked to is that this goes back to the Valvano days.

The State faithful just want the same level of scrutiny here that their program endured then.

At least in terms of the academic portion of this, UNC seems to be getting away with "nothing to see here, let's move along."

Yes. I heard this exact sentiment stated by a NC State alum just yesterday. And have heard it from others.

PackMan97
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Dan Kane blogs about the Indy Star article.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/iteam/an-interesting-take-on-unc-b-ball-graduations-from-the-indianapolis-star

FWIW - I became a State fan after all the Jimmy V stuff went down, so that's not my motivation. I just can't stand Carolina. Wasn't even a college basketball fan until the '91 Duke/UK game. First game I saw with a crowd at the Camp Lejune bowling alley. That game will always leave me with the warm fuzzies when it comes to Duke BB. It got me hooked on college ball and somehow I ventured into Reynolds in the dark days of Les to become a State fan. The rest is history.

roywhite
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Dan Kane blogs about the Indy Star article.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/iteam/an-interesting-take-on-unc-b-ball-graduations-from-the-indianapolis-star

FWIW - I became a State fan after all the Jimmy V stuff went down, so that's not my motivation. I just can't stand Carolina. Wasn't even a college basketball fan until the '91 Duke/UK game. First game I saw with a crowd at the Camp Lejune bowling alley. That game will always leave me with the warm fuzzies when it comes to Duke BB. It got me hooked on college ball and somehow I ventured into Reynolds in the dark days of Les to become a State fan. The rest is history.

Nice to have you around. Appreciate your perspective.

Just to show you that you're one of the gang :), I'll nitpick your post with regards to a date:
The memorable Duke/UK game with Laettner's shot was in 1992.
Equally memorable and capable of producing warm fuzzies was the Duke/UNLV game in 1991, the year of our first national championship.

Either would have been a great starting point for joining Duke hoops fandom.

PackMan97
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Nice to have you around. Appreciate your perspective.

Just to show you that you're one of the gang :), I'll nitpick your post with regards to a date:
The memorable Duke/UK game with Laettner's shot was in 1992.

OBVIOUSLY, I meant the season starting in '91. Ya, that's it.

OldPhiKap
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
OBVIOUSLY, I meant the season starting in '91. Ya, that's it.

Good to hear your perspective. Let the wolves loose on the sheep.

alteran
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
It's pretty clear that Duke has active checks and balances in place to make sure that students go to class, do the work and don't cheat. See Greg Newton. Until this scandal broke have you EVER heard of a Carolina basketball player get into academic trouble?

Bingo. We have a winner.

Seriously, sometimes people screw up despite a good system, then the system gets them back on track, hopefully. Sometimes, people simply don't want to get on track, and the individual and university have to part ways. This happens all the time in the real world.

But apparently, never at Carolina. It's just a bunch of academically flawless basketball players recruited, who never run afoul of problems.

Nothing suspicious there at all. :rolleyes:

moonpie23
06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/20/2149508/uncs-apr-scores-slide-in-basketball.html

apr scores "on the bottom"......

i'd love to think this meant something, but, alas, i fear that unc is surely the teflon hole of academia...

alteran
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/20/2149508/uncs-apr-scores-slide-in-basketball.html

apr scores "on the bottom"......

i'd love to think this meant something, but, alas, i fear that unc is surely the teflon hole of academia...

Yeah, this has long been my position, but the N&O seems to be on a mission. That UNC was not the athletic paragon it was held up to be was common knowledge on campus back when I went there in the early 90s, and it doesn't appear to have improved. I have long believed if anyone actually dug around, stuff would turn up. If N&O keeps it up, I think there's a good chance UNC could actually see some significant repercussions.

ForkFondler
06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, this has long been my position, but the N&O seems to be on a mission. That UNC was not the athletic paragon it was held up to be was common knowledge on campus back when I went there in the early 90s, and it doesn't appear to have improved. I have long believed if anyone actually dug around, stuff would turn up. If N&O keeps it up, I think there's a good chance UNC could actually see some significant repercussions.

There are two sorts of repercussions that may come to pass:

1. They get penalized for cheating
2. They actually have to stop cheating

#2 would be awesome.

Indoor66
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
There are two sorts of repercussions that may come to pass:

1. They get penalized for cheating
2. They actually have to stop cheating

#2 would be awesome.

I would have to vote for both 1 and 2 happening. And #1 should be the DEATH PENALTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moonpie23
06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
i apologize for desiring their titles to be vacated, but seriously, classes like that?

oldnavy
06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
First of all the 900 pound elephant in the room NO ONE is talking about is that this occurred in the African American Studies Department. Now, treading lightly here (God forbid we have an honest discussion on race issues), but has this not raised a red flag for anyone other than myself? This didn't happen in the chemistry department or the musical arts department.

I mean we have a Department with what appears to be made up bogus classes under the guise of AFAM studies that attracts mostly young black athletes’ who seem to "excel" in the grade department of such classes without having to do any work. How does this "help" them in the long run?

Let me ask you one simple question. Would a White American Studies Department designed for white athletes’ to take courses where work doesn't even appear to be optional at a "highly regarded university" raise any concerns among the public??

I will be the first to say, if done properly (i.e., education and learning is actually envolved) African American Studies would be of great interest and benefit. I spent 7 months in Djibouti Africa myself and was very interested in the culture and had many questions about why things happen in ways there that they did not happen here. It is a most worthy course of study. BUT if it is set up to be a joke, then, it helps no one and actually sets the cause back.

WE ALL know that there has been the crib courses designed for jocks, and to be honest I do not have a problem with having a few of those. These kids put in plenty of work to warrant a break here and there. But aren't we all just tip toeing by the grave yard on the whole race issue this seems to scream of?

I said a while back, the University should fire the Dept Head and either cut out his retirement or at least cut it back if it is found that he was doing little more than enabling these students to "skate" while, he reaped the financial benefits.... as they should with any other slacker "academian" who is riding out tenure (which btw is one of the dumbest ideas of all time)... but that is for a different argument. This is OUR money they are paying these clowns btw in case you have forgotten.

OldPhiKap
06-22-2012, 07:39 AM
First of all the 900 pound elephant in the room NO ONE is talking about is that this occurred in the African American Studies Department. Now, treading lightly here (God forbid we have an honest discussion on race issues), but has this not raised a red flag for anyone other than myself? This didn't happen in the chemistry department or the musical arts department.

I mean we have a Department with what appears to be made up bogus classes under the guise of AFAM studies that attracts mostly young black athletes’ who seem to "excel" in the grade department of such classes without having to do any work. How does this "help" them in the long run?

Let me ask you one simple question. Would a White American Studies Department designed for white athletes’ to take courses where work doesn't even appear to be optional at a "highly regarded university" raise any concerns among the public??

I will be the first to say, if done properly (i.e., education and learning is actually envolved) African American Studies would be of great interest and benefit. I spent 7 months in Djibouti Africa myself and was very interested in the culture and had many questions about why things happen in ways there that they did not happen here. It is a most worthy course of study. BUT if it is set up to be a joke, then, it helps no one and actually sets the cause back.

WE ALL know that there has been the crib courses designed for jocks, and to be honest I do not have a problem with having a few of those. These kids put in plenty of work to warrant a break here and there. But aren't we all just tip toeing by the grave yard on the whole race issue this seems to scream of?

I said a while back, the University should fire the Dept Head and either cut out his retirement or at least cut it back if it is found that he was doing little more than enabling these students to "skate" while, he reaped the financial benefits.... as they should with any other slacker "academian" who is riding out tenure (which btw is one of the dumbest ideas of all time)... but that is for a different argument. This is OUR money they are paying these clowns btw in case you have forgotten.

I took two, 200-level courses at Duke in African History. Extremely interesting. I imagine that, like any other course of study, you could build an extremely challenging curriculum.

FWIW, the courses are about as relevant to what I do today as the rest of the history and political science classes I took. Double major that didn't qualify me to do much directly. But glad I took them nonetheless.

I think we have had a few AFAM study majors on our sports teams as well.

davekay1971
06-22-2012, 08:34 AM

This is an excellent point. Beyond excellent. African-American history has started to become reasonably well represented in American history courses, but African history and culture, with it's obvious and important ties and influence on American history and culture, are extremely poorly represented. An African and African-American Studies department should be an excellent vehicle for teaching students about this important and largely under-represented area of education. To turn an entire department into a joke designed only to give athletes easy As without actually teaching them a damn thing is a shame.

It's also, very obviously, an academic AND athletic scandal that our respected and worthy rivals are trying hard to sweep under the rug. I find it terribly amusing that, for the first time, the local media aren't covering up for them, and that seems to have UNC as shocked as Romney or Obama would if, respectively, Sean Hannity or Chris Matthews, launched a withering line of hard hitting questions in an interview. I think we're not past the point of wondering if athletes in both the football and basketball programs were actively steered toward the department for easy As and bogus classes. Now it's just a matter of whether or not the evidence will mount up enough to have new sanctions imposed on football, or any imposed on basketball. I've now officially removed the "clean" tag from Roy as a coach. He's gone from objectionable and obnoxious but clean to objectionable, obnoxious, and probably dirty...or at least fine knowing his players aren't getting anything resembling an education.

BD80
06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
This is an excellent point. Beyond excellent. African-American history has started to become reasonably well represented in American history courses, but African history and culture, with it's obvious and important ties and influence on American history and culture, are extremely poorly represented. ...

You want to talk about history and culture? How about a culture of academic fraud? A history of lack of institutional control?

It takes a VERY strong personality to enforce ethical behavior when there is so much on the line - as is the case with such a successful major college basketball program.

I believe Dean Smith had the willingness and ability to run a clean program. I believe Coach K certainly does. Bobby Knight sure as hell did. The list may not be too much longer.

Since Deano stepped down, the pressure to succeed has gone up, and this type of news arises. Coincidence?

I don't think ol' roy started these shenanigans, but I don't think he had the character to shut it down. He may have plausible deniability - but he still is down there with the coaches that win regardless of the cost.

That will be unc's defense: we're no more slimey than the UNLV team, UK teams, uCon teams that won championships, we should get to keep ours too!

OldPhiKap
06-22-2012, 09:16 AM
That will be unc's defense: we're no more slimey than the UNLV team, UK teams, uCon teams that won championships, we should get to keep ours too!

"The Carolina Way: Videri Quam Esse"

Lennies
06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
First of all the 900 pound elephant in the room NO ONE is talking about is that this occurred in the African American Studies Department.

Has it been confirmed that the AFAM department was the only one? There weren't other examples of "clustering"?

roywhite
06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
"The Carolina Way: Videri Quam Esse"

Excellent.

Heard plenty of griping from the light blue when the NCAA investigation of Tarheel football stretched on....blame Holden Thorp, we're not doing anything different than other schools, NCAA is unfair and corrupt, etc. etc.
Not hearing too much from self-righteous Rams this time around....could it be they're actually embarrassed?

gumbomoop
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Now, treading lightly here (God forbid we have an honest discussion on race issues), but has this not raised a red flag for anyone other than myself? This didn't happen in the chemistry department or the musical arts department.

I mean we have a Department with what appears to be made up bogus classes under the guise of AFAM studies

I took two, 200-level courses at Duke in African History. Extremely interesting. I imagine that, like any other course of study, you could build an extremely challenging curriculum.

An African and African-American Studies department should be an excellent vehicle for teaching students about this important and largely under-represented area of education. To turn an entire department into a joke designed only to give athletes easy As without actually teaching them a damn thing is a shame.

It's also, very obviously, an academic AND athletic scandal that our respected and worthy rivals are trying hard to sweep under the rug.

Several distinct issues here, all of them important.

[1] Although this scam did happen in an AFAM studies department, it could have happened in other departments. The level of vigorous and rigorous undergraduate teaching among departments in all universities varies widely, very, very widely. In most instances it varies significantly within departments.

[2] In this instance, I have seen no evidence, and doubt, that the entire department is filled with scam-artists. IMO, backed by some minimal research into course listings, what we have here [B]over there[/I]] is a rogue prof. I'm guessing the prof in question was at one time - and in some ways even now - a scholar and at least a decent classroom teacher, teaching real courses. I'm guessing he drifted into sin, somehow got the notion that this was do-able, that this was a legitimate way to "help the kids," and, at least, not horrible. Not a very high standard, to be sure.

[3] Can't yet tell how he and the administrative assistant [title?] got away with it. Perhaps those junior colleagues who themselves were victims here [forged signatures, changed grades] only belatedly discovered what the chairman had done [or had allowed to be done]. Perhaps one or two protested, weakly, but didn't quite know what the hell was going on, or were intimidated. In the event, of course, now their presumably good names have been dragged into this slime.

[4] One or two UNC faculty have in fact come to their defense, and to the defense of the department overall. I'm convinced - and with some more research might be able to construct a persuasive case - that there are any number of very good courses in that department. To be clear on this, I recommend that we not assume the entire department is populated by charlatans. The chairman, yes, but others, I doubt it.

[5] I'm still waiting for more from the UNC faculty on this outrage. I'd want more to speak out in defense of their colleagues whose reputations have been muddied by the chairman's behavior. Now, one might say, "Right, and the fact that the faculty haven't en masse come to the department's defense, that speaks volumes." I don't think that's it. Rather, I suspect the faculty, generally and individually, are torn between airing all this very embarrassing dirty laundry in public and just wanting it to go away soon.

[6] The self-respecting, academically and intellectually honest, thing to do would be to insist on full, chips-fall-where-they-may [bball team, whatever] disclosure. Among the positive results of getting out the full story would, I'm convinced, be the important first step in restoring the academic bona fides of a valuable department.

[7] Not to mention the reputation of what was - and still is, mostly, I think, I think, but ..... - a great university. To hell with Roy Williams, the ACC, and even the Duke-Carolina rivalry. What happened in the AFAM department is an outrage against academic/intellectual honestly and collegial trust.

Nepos
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Several distinct issues here, all of them important.

[1] Although this scam did happen in an AFAM studies department, it could have happened in other departments. The level of vigorous and rigorous undergraduate teaching among departments in all universities varies widely, very, very widely. In most instances it varies significantly within departments.

[2] In this instance, I have seen no evidence, and doubt, that the entire department is filled with scam-artists. IMO, backed by some minimal research into course listings, what we have here [B]over there[/I]] is a rogue prof. I'm guessing the prof in question was at one time - and in some ways even now - a scholar and at least a decent classroom teacher, teaching real courses. I'm guessing he drifted into sin, somehow got the notion that this was do-able, that this was a legitimate way to "help the kids," and, at least, not horrible. Not a very high standard, to be sure.

[3] Can't yet tell how he and the administrative assistant [title?] got away with it. Perhaps those junior colleagues who themselves were victims here [forged signatures, changed grades] only belatedly discovered what the chairman had done [or had allowed to be done]. Perhaps one or two protested, weakly, but didn't quite know what the hell was going on, or were intimidated. In the event, of course, now their presumably good names have been dragged into this slime.

[4] One or two UNC faculty have in fact come to their defense, and to the defense of the department overall. I'm convinced - and with some more research might be able to construct a persuasive case - that there are any number of very good courses in that department. To be clear on this, I recommend that we not assume the entire department is populated by charlatans. The chairman, yes, but others, I doubt it.

[5] I'm still waiting for more from the UNC faculty on this outrage. I'd want more to speak out in defense of their colleagues whose reputations have been muddied by the chairman's behavior. Now, one might say, "Right, and the fact that the faculty haven't en masse come to the department's defense, that speaks volumes." I don't think that's it. Rather, I suspect the faculty, generally and individually, are torn between airing all this very embarrassing dirty laundry in public and just wanting it to go away soon.

[6] The self-respecting, academically and intellectually honest, thing to do would be to insist on full, chips-fall-where-they-may [bball team, whatever] disclosure. Among the positive results of getting out the full story would, I'm convinced, be the important first step in restoring the academic bona fides of a valuable department.

[7] Not to mention the reputation of what was - and still is, mostly, I think, I think, but ..... - a great university. To hell with Roy Williams, the ACC, and even the Duke-Carolina rivalry. What happened in the AFAM department is a outrage against academic/intellectual honestly and collegial trust.

I 100% agree. The big question is why the prof in question did what he did. To my knowledge, that has not really been answered and that is the main catalyst for the speculation about broader involvement and systemic "cheating." It would not be headline-worthy to note that a university has advisors that help student-athletes choose courses that fit their needs (I'm pretty certain that exists everywhere); it would be if they helped arrange for courses that were not really courses.

One of the most interesting aspects of this to me is that the prof in question has credentials that one might think would make him least likely to get in this situation -- in addition to a PhD relevant to his profession, he also has a law degree. One would think he would be particularly sensitive to activities that seem to be a breach of his contract with the University. Even more interesting (and mentioned surprisingly little on this board), is that his law degree is from the esteemed private university that is 10 miles down the road from Chapel Hill.