PDA

View Full Version : MLAX: Back to the Final Four!

burnspbesq
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
The funnest month of the lacrosse season starts with conference tournaments this week.

There were a couple of minor upsets last night: Drexel over Penn State in the Colonial, Fairfield over Ohio State in the ECAC.

But NOTHING like what happened earlier today: St. John's 8, Notre Dame 7. The Red Storm built a five-goal lead through three quarters, and just barely made it stand up. Westy Hopkins had a good look with three seconds to go, but couldn't convert to force overtime.

Duke is back in the conversation for the overall number one seed.

Native
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
The funnest month of the lacrosse season starts with conference tournaments this week.

There were a couple of minor upsets last night: Drexel over Penn State in the Colonial, Fairfield over Ohio State in the ECAC.

But NOTHING like what happened earlier today: St. John's 8, Notre Dame 7. The Red Storm built a five-goal lead through three quarters, and just barely made it stand up. Westy Hopkins had a good look with three seconds to go, but couldn't convert to force overtime.

Duke is back in the conversation for the overall number one seed.

Wow, if 'Cuse can win the Big East Championship that spells trouble for a number of bubble teams. Does the Big East have an AQ in lacrosse? Can't remember — I'm pretty sure the ACC doesn't.

Shakeups at the top can only help our Devils, though. IL's Bracketology had us seeded third overall and tabbed with a first-round re-match with Denver.

burnspbesq
05-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Denver, Colgate, and Penn State are now officially sweating bullets (Colgate can arguably lock down an at-large berth by beating the Turtles on Saturday). Nova is playing itself out of the tournament as I write this, down by seven with nine minutes to go. The Ivy League is now officially a one-bid league. God help all the bubble teams if Drexel somehow finds a way to beat UMass, or Fairfield upsets Loyola, or both.

MCFinARL
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow, if 'Cuse can win the Big East Championship that spells trouble for a number of bubble teams. Does the Big East have an AQ in lacrosse? Can't remember — I'm pretty sure the ACC doesn't.

Shakeups at the top can only help our Devils, though. IL's Bracketology had us seeded third overall and tabbed with a first-round re-match with Denver.

You are right about the ACC--because there are only 4 teams, there is no AQ. Even after adding Syracuse, the ACC will have to find another team to be an "official" conference with an AQ; on the women's side, they qualify, with Duke, UVA, Maryland, UNC, VT, and BC.

I believe the Big East gets an AQ for the first time this year, so the tournament is important.

chrishoke
05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I am so excited to likely have a home game to start the tourny.

burnspbesq
05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
The NEC will probably get an AQ next year, so things will get even hairier for teams seeking at-large berths.

The ACC could, if it wanted to get to six members and secure an AQ, accept BU or Furman as a lax-only member once their programs get going. At that point, with nine AQs, the tournament simply has to expand.

The women's tournament effectively has a 19-team field; there are three "play-in games" this weekend pitting the AQs from six "minor" conferences against each other (e.g., Navy, the Patriot League champion, is at Oregon, the surprise winner of the MPSF, tomorrow).

I think I would prefer to see the men's tournament go to a 20-team field, seed the entire field, and have 13-20, 14-19, 15-18, and 16-17 games on Wednesday of the first week.

burnspbesq
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Since you've heard it before, I will spare y'all my annual rant about the five ACC schools in the MCLA top 25 and how they should all move to NCAA D1 status, except to note how quickly Michigan has started lining up top-20 recruiting classes (the USC women's program is doing the same thing, having particular success recruiting in New Jersey).

MCFinARL
05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
The NEC will probably get an AQ next year, so things will get even hairier for teams seeking at-large berths.

The ACC could, if it wanted to get to six members and secure an AQ, accept BU or Furman as a lax-only member once their programs get going. At that point, with nine AQs, the tournament simply has to expand.

The women's tournament effectively has a 19-team field; there are three "play-in games" this weekend pitting the AQs from six "minor" conferences against each other (e.g., Navy, the Patriot League champion, is at Oregon, the surprise winner of the MPSF, tomorrow).

I think I would prefer to see the men's tournament go to a 20-team field, seed the entire field, and have 13-20, 14-19, 15-18, and 16-17 games on Wednesday of the first week.

That seems like a reasonable approach--there just aren't enough teams to add a full extra round, that would put half the D1 teams in the tournament. But there does need to be a reasonable amount of room for at large teams.

burnspbesq
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Down 13-4 to Yale, midway through the fourth quarter.

Loyola is up 7-3 on Fairfield late in the first half.

MCFinARL
05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Down 13-4 to Yale, midway through the fourth quarter.

Loyola is up 7-3 on Fairfield late in the first half.

Guess Cornell really did need Rob Pannell, despite their early success without him. Too bad for him he can't compete for the Teewaraton based on the obvious value demonstrated by his absence.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Maryland loses to Colgate today, 13-11.

Elsewhere Syracuse had no trouble with St. John's--wouldn't be surprised to see them make a big splash in the tournament now that they are in on an AQ.

burnspbesq
05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Stony Brook is up five on Albany with less than five minutes to go.

A possible Duke - Stony Brook matchup would have some interesting baggage. SB's starting keeper is Sean Burke. "Crashed and burned" is probably not an unfair description of his two-plus seasons at Duke.

Joan Didion looks like required reading for the Turtles.

MCFinARL
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Stony Brook is up five on Albany with less than five minutes to go.

A possible Duke - Stony Brook matchup would have some interesting baggage. SB's starting keeper is Sean Burke. "Crashed and burned" is probably not an unfair description of his two-plus seasons at Duke.

Joan Didion looks like required reading for the Turtles.

Assume you mean Sean Brady--and that would be very interesting. Kind of appalling that two teams with losing records were meeting for an AQ, but it is what it is, I guess.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Even though they won 19-5, the simple act of playing Michigan put a huge dent in Carolina's RPI and SOS. Don't be surprised to see them unseeded and on the road for the first round.

If RPI and SOS are what really matters to the selection committee, Duke could be the overall top seed. I think it's more realistic to expect that they will be either the two or three seed, depending on whether the committee wants to reward UMass for its undefeated season or punish it for its weak RPI. The top four are virtually certain to be Loyola, Duke, UMass, and Notre Dame. The next four will be Hopkins, Lehigh, Virginia, and Heck If I Know.

sagegrouse
05-06-2012, 01:15 PM
All the aficionados know this this, but I had to look it up. -- sage

MCFinARL
05-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Yale now leading Princeton for the Ivy League championship and AQ 11-5 with a little over 5 minutes remaining. Doubt anyone on the seeding committee expected this; commentators were talking about the Ivy as a one-bid league, but that was when they thought either Princeton or Cornell would win the championship. Princeton will have to at least be in the discussion for an at-large bid but may not get one.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Final score Canisius 10, Siena 9. Go figure.

Two teams with losing records in the tournament.

Canisius also messes up the geography. If you seeded the field 1-16, they would undoubtedly be the 16 seed. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them sent out to South Bend to play Notre Dame.

MCFinARL
05-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Yale now leading by 8 goals with just over a minute to play. AAAAnd, 6-7 Canisius edges 11-5 Siena for the MAAC AQ. May madness is really beyond mad this year.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Top four seeds are Loyola, Hop (???), Duke, and ND.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Canisius at (1) Loyola
Denver at (8) Carolina
Princeton at (5) Virginia
Yale at (4) Notre Dame

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Cuse at (3) Duke
Colgate at (6) UMass
Murlund at (7) Lehigh
Stony Brook at (2) Hop

Duke plays at noon Saturday at Koskinen.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Duke is the seven seed, and plays Virginia at home at 2:00 p.m. Sunday.

MCFinARL
05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Cuse at (3) Duke
Colgate at (6) UMass
Murlund at (7) Lehigh
Stony Brook at (2) Hop

Duke plays at noon Saturday at Koskinen.

Can't say the seeding committee did Duke any favors. Syracuse is playing much better now than earlier in the season when they lost to Duke. With a victory there, Duke faces the winner of UMass-Colgate--the only undefeated D1 team, seeded only sixth because of relative weakness of schedule, and a team that just took down Maryland. Win again and the most likely opponent in the semis is Hopkins--an experienced team that played well most of the year, but for a shaky stretch late, from which it recovered to beat top seed Loyola. And if it's not Hop, it's either a rubber match with Maryland or -- Lehigh.

Looking at the whole bracket, I'm hard pressed to see a tougher path among the top four seeds.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Colgate and UMass both rely on a dynamic attackman (Baum for Gate and Manny for UMass) to make the whole thing work.

Over at collegecrosse.com, I posed the following question in the comments: "Can UMass win if Manny gets two and one (which is what Stanwick got when Duke put Henry Lobb on him and didn't slide)?"

Syracuse's improvement is primarily due to Bobby Eilers finally figuring out that at 6'5", 210, he can physically dominate most d-mids. Luke Duprey is not most d-mids.

burnspbesq
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
The selection committee treated Carolina far better than they deserved. They weren't punished for the loss to Penn (the way, for example, Nova was punished for the loss to Providence and Cornell was punished for the loss to Brown), and what should have been a substantial RPI and SOS hit from playing Michigan was ignored.

Mark Mathews has to be salivating at the thought of going at the Carolina defense. This could be first team to 21 wins (so could Gate - UMass), but if Carraro wins 50 percent of the faceoffs against Keenan Carolina could be in a lot of trouble. And if the pathologically turnover-prone Carolina team of March shows up, they are cooked.

awhom111
05-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Here are the brackets for both the Men's and Women's tournaments:

Men's:
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-men/d1/2011
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/lacrosse-men_d1_2011.pdf

Women's:
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-women/d1
http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/lacrosse-women_d1_2011.pdf

Our Women's team is seeded 7th and hosting Virginia on Sunday at 2:00pm Eastern.

MCFinARL
05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
The selection committee treated Carolina far better than they deserved. They weren't punished for the loss to Penn (the way, for example, Nova was punished for the loss to Providence and Cornell was punished for the loss to Brown), and what should have been a substantial RPI and SOS hit from playing Michigan was ignored.

Mark Mathews has to be salivating at the thought of going at the Carolina defense. This could be first team to 21 wins (so could Gate - UMass), but if Carraro wins 50 percent of the faceoffs against Keenan Carolina could be in a lot of trouble. And if the pathologically turnover-prone Carolina team of March shows up, they are cooked.

Matthews was unstoppable against Duke (which admittedly was not at its best against Denver); agreed he could be a real problem for Carolina.

In other news, Duke fans might appreciate knowing that Lehigh (there is that name again) is coached by Duke grad and former Duke assistant coach Kevin Cassese. Cassese, who also plays professional lacrosse and has been a member of the US National Team. He was an assistant to Mike Pressler and stayed through John Danowski's first season in the spring of 2007 before accepting the Lehigh job. The team building job he has been doing there is starting to bear fruit in a big way as Lehigh enters the tournament seeded 7th and with a 14-2 record and wins over tournament teams Colgate, UNC, and Yale.

loldevilz
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I think there is a legitimate chance that the ACC will close out the final four. Last 2 years ACC teams have ONLY lost to other ACC teams in the tournament, which is absolutely incredible.

burnspbesq
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I think there is a legitimate chance that the ACC will close out the final four. Last 2 years ACC teams have ONLY lost to other ACC teams in the tournament, which is absolutely incredible.

Maybe, but given how crazy the last month has been, don't rule out the possibility that the ACC goes four and out in the first round. I actually expect three ACC teams to lose in the first round. Lehigh is just flat better than Maryland. I don't think Carolina's defense is good enough to contain Denver. If LaPierre isn't 100 percent, Virginia will struggle to contain Schreiber, and he's good enough to put Princeton on his back and carry them through this game.

MCFinARL
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe, but given how crazy the last month has been, don't rule out the possibility that the ACC goes four and out in the first round. I actually expect three ACC teams to lose in the first round. Lehigh is just flat better than Maryland. I don't think Carolina's defense is good enough to contain Denver. If LaPierre isn't 100 percent, Virginia will struggle to contain Schreiber, and he's good enough to put Princeton on his back and carry them through this game.

Yeah, this is an unbelievably wide open tournament bracket. Possibly the only teams in it that I would give no chance to win their first round games are Canisius and Stony Brook (and even Stony Brook could have an outside chance, given Hopkins' somewhat up-and-down play, though I doubt it). Notre Dame will be a big challenge for Yale, but if Yale can play the way they did in the Ivy League tournament, all bets are off.

One other thing that might have to happen for Princeton to beat UVA--"good" Tyler Fiorito has to show up in the Princeton goal, and/or he has to get a lot more help from the rest of his defense than he did against Yale. Even if Stanwick still isn't 100%, the Wahoos offense will score if you give them the kind of opportunities Yale had.

burnspbesq
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Browsing the past few seasons' rosters, I noticed that nobody has worn number 40 since Matt Danowski left, and nobody has worn number 22 since Ned Crotty left.

If we're going to retire numbers, let's do it officially: hang some banners and have a ceremony.

MCFinARL
05-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Browsing the past few seasons' rosters, I noticed that nobody has worn number 40 since Matt Danowski left, and nobody has worn number 22 since Ned Crotty left.

If we're going to retire numbers, let's do it officially: hang some banners and have a ceremony.

Interesting. In Crotty's case, it might still be an accident, as he is only two years gone. But that it's both Crotty and Danowski, now 4 years gone, suggests it is intentional. Is it possible the numbers have been officially retired, but without a lot of fanfare? Not sure where you would hang banners (at Koskinen?).

Another approach to numbers--Josh Dionne switched numbers this year from 0 (perhaps not the best choice for a goal scorer, he acknowledged in an interview) to 8--Max Quinzani's number. It seems like a good fit.

loldevilz
05-08-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm surprised to hear a lax fan have 3 ACC teams losing in the first round. The ACC has been dominant in the tournament the past few years and I would say that this year the ACC looks especially impressive. In my opinion, Denver vs Carolina is the only game where I want to pick against the ACC, but I truly think that Carolina makes a final four this year. They are absolutely stacked talent-wise. In my opinion they are the second best ACC team.

As for Maryland, I don't know how you can say Lehigh is flat our better. Maryland has better wins on its schedule. They have beaten Johns Hopkins, Duke and UNC. We barely got past them in the ACC tournament. It took a heck of a game from Wigrizer to win by 1 goal. That loss last week definitely is a red-flag, but Colgates a good team and Maryland probably didn't play their best. I think that Maryland coach is excellent and I expect them to win.

Lastly, I really don't think that Princeton has a shot at beating Virginia. They couldn't even win the terrible Ivy League this year. They are certainly one of the weaker teams in the field. I'd be absolutly shocked if they win. I'd actually be more suprised if Virginia lost that game then if we lost to Syracuse who we've struggled against in the past.

sagegrouse
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Interesting. In Crotty's case, it might still be an accident, as he is only two years gone. But that it's both Crotty and Danowski, now 4 years gone, suggests it is intentional. Is it possible the numbers have been officially retired, but without a lot of fanfare? Not sure where you would hang banners (at Koskinen?).

Another approach to numbers--Josh Dionne switched numbers this year from 0 (perhaps not the best choice for a goal scorer, he acknowledged in an interview) to 8--Max Quinzani's number. It seems like a good fit.

Numbers "not in use" are not necessarily or even likely to be "retired." Numbers "in use" can be retired at any time. Viz. #44 for Mullins while the Chief was still wearing it.

sagegrouse
'Class of Mullins. No, really! He was our senior class president. The illustrious successor to Charlie Rose and the late Sean Flynn (son of Errol)'

MCFinARL
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Numbers "not in use" are not necessarily or even likely to be "retired." Numbers "in use" can be retired at any time. Viz. #44 for Mullins while the Chief was still wearing it.

sagegrouse
'Class of Mullins. No, really! He was our senior class president. The illustrious successor to Charlie Rose and the late Sean Flynn (son of Errol)'

Well, I'm properly chided, Sage, and I'm sure there are many people who might agree with you as to my irrelevance. Of course I was just guessing about whether it is intentional that no one has used Matt Danowski's number. But lacrosse uses a lot of numbers. Since the 2006-07 season, 40 is the only number between 0 and 44 (above 44, number use gets a little spottier) that has gone four straight seasons without being used.
I'm thinking there is at least a chance that this isn't an accident, though it could be an informal sign of respect from the players rather than a team policy.

On the other hand, it could, of course, be an accident, and has nothing to do, as you point out, with whether the number might be retired. The only other number between 0 and 44 that has gone even three straight seasons out of use, 15, was last used by Goalie Rob Schroeder, not a likely candidate for number retirement.

burnspbesq
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/5/8/3007116/2012-ncaa-lacrosse-tournament-college-crosse-bracket-challenge

greybeard
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
A guess--this will be an up and down the field tournament, with scoring in the possession game coming relatively quick. Teams are filed with talented attackers and offensive mids. There is no old school ball adopted to the new realities of the game, aka Cornell, tat weakens teams in the half court, and then is organized to stop transition offense.

I think that this Championship belongs to he team with athletic long sticks who can guard with the best, but excel in creating unexpected mistakes by offenses (creating groundballs), snatching ground balls, and getting off in transition with speed and awareness. Syracuse had a kid like that when they took down my boys who were 3 up with 3 to go. I think that Duke as a couple of outstanding defenders in this mode. They could make the difference.

If Duke is still standing going into the final weekend,I'd be there if I were a Duke fan. Heck, with Cornell taking a pass this year (too bad about Pannell and thanks for the guy who gave the kid his props here), I might just become a Dukie and show up myself.

Stanwick, however, is to die for. If there is a better play maker, passer, creator of angles, signal giver to a teamate about where the ball is going, and then stone-cold scorer when he needs to be in any sport, I haven't seen him, well okay, Messi. Tough to root againt him and Startza beginnings at a neighboring town on the South Shore of LI, well, I wouldn't be made if they pulled a rabbit out of a hat, but then again I wouldn't be loving it either.

Duke if it makes the final four; Maryland if it does and Duke doesn't. I think that this team finds a way, even though Carolina is probably at least 3 out of 5 the better team, probably more like 4 out of 6. It only takes one, however, and, should it come to it, muy itch says the Terps.

I really like this tournament but do not like the added todo around it, selection and Sunday and such. Give them sticks, a helmet, the same colored uniforms for each team, and let em play one of the best passing games around.

burnspbesq
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/5/10/3010253/2012-ncaa-lacrosse-tournament-staring-contest-syracuse-at-duke

I'm generally in agreement, but I think the key matchups are Palasek vs. Manley and Eilers vs. Duprey. If we contain those guys, we win, and we may win by a lot. I think we are good for at least the 12 we got against Cuse in the regular season (it would be really nice if we got a contribution from the second midfield).

MCFinARL
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/5/10/3010253/2012-ncaa-lacrosse-tournament-staring-contest-syracuse-at-duke

I'm generally in agreement, but I think the key matchups are Palasek vs. Manley and Eilers vs. Duprey. If we contain those guys, we win, and we may win by a lot. I think we are good for at least the 12 we got against Cuse in the regular season (it would be really nice if we got a contribution from the second midfield).

I hope you are right. This matchup makes me very nervous. Syracuse is starting to get their act together, and Duke, as far as I know, is still in Forrest Gump box-of-chocolates mode. If the Duke team that played UVA shows up, no one will beat them; if the Duke team that played Denver shows up, it could be ugly. I'd feel more confident if the man-up and man-down units had been more effective this season.

MCFinARL
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
There are a couple of interesting "behind the scenes" videos of the Duke team in Denver, preparing for the Mile High Classic, posted in Insidelacrosse.com.
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/10/behind-scenes-duke-mile-high-classic

Interestingly, when Coach Danowski was talking about practicing shooting with the non-dominant hand, he described some players as "amphibious"! Think he has been reading DBR? [PS, I'm pretty sure he used the wrong word on purpose.]

msdukie
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm properly chided, Sage, and I'm sure there are many people who might agree with you as to my irrelevance. Of course I was just guessing about whether it is intentional that no one has used Matt Danowski's number. But lacrosse uses a lot of numbers. Since the 2006-07 season, 40 is the only number between 0 and 44 (above 44, number use gets a little spottier) that has gone four straight seasons without being used.
I'm thinking there is at least a chance that this isn't an accident, though it could be an informal sign of respect from the players rather than a team policy.

On the other hand, it could, of course, be an accident, and has nothing to do, as you point out, with whether the number might be retired. The only other number between 0 and 44 that has gone even three straight seasons out of use, 15, was last used by Goalie Rob Schroeder, not a likely candidate for number retirement.

Every Duke lacrosse jersey that Nike has made and sold at retail since 2007 has had the number 40. Duke's refusal to retire any non-basketball jersey number is flat out assinine and needs to be remedied.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Interesting article in today's NY Times about the potential use of a shot clock. I am in favor, though I agree that it needs to be very well thought out to make sure there are no unintended consequences and it is executed flawlessly. The Times does a pretty good job of covering lacrosse, and I'm always happy to see as many articles as possible there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/sports/college-lacrosse-considers-shot-clock-to-speed-games.html?ref=sports

Jderf
05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Interesting article in today's NY Times about the potential use of a shot clock. I am in favor, though I agree that it needs to be very well thought out to make sure there are no unintended consequences and it is executed flawlessly. The Times does a pretty good job of covering lacrosse, and I'm always happy to see as many articles as possible there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/sports/college-lacrosse-considers-shot-clock-to-speed-games.html?ref=sports

Interesting article, for the perspective on both lacrosse and basketball. This quote got me wondering:

“The last two minutes of our game are different from all the rest — what other sport does that?” said Matt Palumb, a collegiate referee and former Syracuse goalie.

How about basketball? It is played for 39 minutes, stopping at the final minute for the sake of a free-throw shooting contest. It is basically an unofficial version of a hockey shootout. Technically speaking, shouldn't they be calling intentional fouls every time? They certainly would be during any other minute of the game.

MCFinARL
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Interesting article, for the perspective on both lacrosse and basketball. This quote got me wondering:

How about basketball? It is played for 39 minutes, stopping at the final minute for the sake of a free-throw shooting contest. It is basically an unofficial version of a hockey shootout. Technically speaking, shouldn't they be calling intentional fouls every time? They certainly would be during any other minute of the game.

Well, yes, although the difference is that in lacrosse the actual rules are different in the last two minutes, not just the way they are enforced. As to whether they should be calling intentional fouls, you make a good point, although isn't "intentional" determined by whether there is a plausible play for the ball? If that's right, then as long as a player is aiming at the ball, he could foul without an "intentional" call, even if it's obvious to everyone that he intended to foul. Even so, I think you are right that fouls are often called differently at the end of games.

That's also not the only difference at the end of basketball games--the other is how the clock is handled. At the end of every half, and definitely at the end of the game, suddenly everyone is very scrupulous about checking to make sure the right amount of time has run off (or not run off) the clock, when similar situations early in a half often go by without anyone seeming to care whether 3 or 4 seconds have run off that shouldn't have. As much as I sympathize with teams who are disadvantaged by clock errors, fussing over the clock is another reason it's often painful to watch the last minute or so of basketball games, which can seemingly stretch for ten or fifteen minutes (often more with commercial breaks).

burnspbesq
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Duke-Cuse at the top of the hour on ESPN. LGD!

ThePublisher
05-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Killing syracuse early. Welcome to the acc! All the way turned up!

burnspbesq
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Terri has two of Duke's three goals, both on inverts. Cuse two turnovers and a shot right at Wiggy.

Time out Syracuse.

loran16
05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Scored 3 quick goals, then really seemed to go into a real defensive shell afterwards.

loran16
05-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Just have let them back in the game after a 5-1 lead.

Acymetric
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, what a shot by the kid from Syracuse.

loran16
05-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Very disappointing how the team in both quarters ran out of gas after hot starts.

loran16
05-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Gotta keep it up and not let our feet off the gas like we did in the first two quarters.

loran16
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice domination of that quarter after the quick equalizer. Domination of faceoffs is making it near impossible for Cuse to catch up.

Still won't feel comfortable unless we score 2-3 more goals in 4Q though.

burnspbesq
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Rotanz and Turri both delivering.

burnspbesq
05-12-2012, 02:08 PM
17 for 24. And it's Fowler and DeLuca doing it. CJ working the wing.

Haven't seen Dailey at all today. Injured?

loran16
05-12-2012, 02:12 PM
17 for 24. And it's Fowler and DeLuca doing it. CJ working the wing.

Haven't seen Dailey at all today. Injured?

Costabile's been a force on ground balls from that position of course. But yeah, faceoffs have more or less been the reason we're "dominating" this game. Hope we can continue that.

loran16
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Well done boys.

msdukie
05-12-2012, 02:23 PM
The new uniforms looked sweet too.

MCFinARL
05-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Rotanz and Turri both delivering.

Yup. Very happy to see how well both played today. Think the seniors--these two plus Costabile and Manley--will need to be the big difference makers going forward.

Native
05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Shades of our 2010 title run, in which we exorcised the Johns Hopkins demon by beating them in the first round. We were 2-6 all-time against Syracuse and 0-3 in the NCAA tournament coming into today's game. Great confidence boost for the team in beating an always-tough Syracuse squad.

MOTM goes to Wiggy IMO — solid in cage all day, made a few great plays on clears and picked off a few passes. Got great production from our midfield especially from Turri and Rotanz — need to keep up this production going forward. I was pleasantly surprised to see our dominance at the X; if Fowler and DeLuca can keep winning draws with CJ on the wing grabbing GBs we can definitely make a deep run this year.

We'll play the winner of UMass/Colgate at PPL Park in Philadelphia next weekend. UMass currently leads by 1 in the fourth quarter — they're undefeated but have a terrible strength of schedule. Colgate is more battle-hardened but didn't receive a seed in the bracket this year.

Go Devils!

wandalee
05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I went to the game today - my first lacrosse match in person. It was lots of fun. There was a great crowd there, though probably half of them were Syracuse fans. Great win, guys!

DukieInKansas
05-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Congratulations on the win. Let's keep it up and win the rest of the games.

Native
05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
...the Holes trail by two to Denver with four minutes left in the nightcap. Rivalry aside, it's a great shootout game of lacrosse — really fast-paced and hectic.

Native
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Down go the Heels, dropping the game 16-14 to Denver in Chapel Hill. Should actually be 15-14, but Denver scored on a fluke full-field heave clear with :01 left.

If Denver can get past Loyola they'll be a tough out.

Indoor66
05-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Down go the Heels, dropping the game 16-14 to Denver in Chapel Hill. Should actually be 15-14, but Denver scored on a fluke full-field heave clear with :01 left.

If Denver can get past Loyola they'll be a tough out.

A fitting end for the hated heels. :cool: :eek:

burnspbesq
05-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I imagine the staff is looking at every available scrap of Colgate video today, with an emphasis on limiting the damage Baum does. UMass actually did a good job on him yesterday, holding him to two and one, but the second goal was huge in swinging the game Gate's way.

greybeard
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I think that a clock is unnecessary and would detract from the game. No one played less run out (fastbreak) offense than Cornell. The two times it made the final four in the past 5 or 6 years, Cornell lost to Duke by a goal by a score o 13-12 or 12-11, with the winning goal I believe coming in the last minute. The second time I believe that the score was in the mid teens, with Syracuse scoring 3 goals to catch up in the last 3 minutes, the last of the three coming with 4 seconds to play.

I think that Army played slow, and had a terrific goalie, in the semis the year Duke won the Championship; if I recall the game was not low scoring (I could be wrong). The UVa-Duke game that year or the year before the scoring was no higher than the Cornell Syracuse game noted above.

None of the six teams in yesterday's game, with the possible exception of the team that played Loyola came close to playing "slow." Duke/Syracuse, however, had plenty of terrific half court play that a shot clock would do away with.

What the clock shot would seem to be aimed at would be making the game more marketable for TV audiences. The pro game belies this. The consequence of a clock, in my view, would simply turn the game over to bigger, stronger, faster players, and certainly shut out the real skill guys who might lack blazing speed and quickness. Strength would more and more become a prerequisite.

The game to me is terrific as it is. To me, passing, catching, two or three man combinations or more leading to a shot that guys might see during the time spent in the half court game is the best thing going in sport. You rarely see a behind the goal attacker go early for a score. It mostly, it seems to me, comes when the out-front help loses contact with what's going on behind him, often because another offensive player has just made a move into the middle that the defender must get to and cannot slide back to help. These things to me are the art of the game.

That's my perspective, but, then again, I liked the game better when the game was played with wooden sticks, which is to say when you could not shoot at 90 plus mph, when protecting and craddling the ball, especially on the inside, took far more skill and was more of a rarity. The game then, I believe, would have more room for the great athletes who were, how should I put this, less "athletic" and therefore their facility for the game is deemed something else. For the life of me, I don't know why, except that people put clocks and deep pockets in a game and make running, strength, jumping, and I would say "quickness" but the guys who are deemed nonathletic have plenty of that.

chrishoke
05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I went to the game today - my first lacrosse match in person. It was lots of fun. There was a great crowd there, though probably half of them were Syracuse fans. Great win, guys!

I was amazed at the numbere of Orange clad fans. As Holden Caufield would have said, "the 751 lot was cummy with cuse fans."

MCFinARL
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I was amazed at the numbere of Orange clad fans. As Holden Caufield would have said, "the 751 lot was cummy with cuse fans."

Syracuse lacrosse fans always travel well--like Pittsburgh Steelers fans. It's actually a problem for the final four when Syracuse doesn't advance, because they fill a lot of seats in those football stadiums. Duke usually has a loyal but comparatively small group of fans present at the final four--they haven't established enough of a tradition in lacrosse to draw casual fans yet, but 'cuse does.

roywhite
05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Men's LAX was not the only Duke team that had a good weekend:

Women's LAX beat UVA 11-9 to advance to the NCAA quarter-finals
Women's Golf qualified for the NCAA championship despite losing a key player to injury prior to the Regionals
Men's Golf team is competing this coming week in the East Regionals, held in Greensboro
Men's Tennis advanced to the round of 16 with a win over LSU
Women's Tennis advanced in the NCAA with a 2nd round win over South Carolina
Women's Track and Field won the IC4A event

Congrats to all these student-athletes and their coaches.

Native
05-13-2012, 09:45 PM
In the last game of the first round, Maryland eked out a nail biter against Lehigh, meaning the quarterfinals are set. Incidentally, Lehigh is coached by Duke alum Kevin Cassese.

Duke takes on Colgate next Sunday at PPL Park in Philadelphia. Colgate took out then-undefeated UMass in the first round; however UMass's perfect record landed them only the 6th seed as they had a very weak schedule. Colgate is led on the attack by Tewaaraton finalist Peter Baum.

Should we beat 'Gate, we'll face the winner of Maryland and Johns Hopkins in the Fnal Four. Lots of history there - JHU and Maryland is one of the most historic lacrosse rivalries, and Duke obviously has a bone to pick with either squad.

(1) Loyola / Denver and (4) Notre Dame / (5) Virginia are the games on the other side of the bracket.

Shaping up to be a great tournament! Go Duke!

burnspbesq
05-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Except for, umm, well, you know.

MCFinARL
05-13-2012, 09:51 PM

? Must have taken my stupid pills today, because I don't know. Can you enlighten me?

burnspbesq
05-13-2012, 10:26 PM
? Must have taken my stupid pills today, because I don't know. Can you enlighten me?

Baseball. Swept by the forces of evil.

-bdbd
05-13-2012, 10:50 PM

As a Redskins fan I am just dumbfounded as to why the Duke baseball team was playing the Cowboys this weekend...
Hmmmmm.

:rolleyes:

MCFinARL
05-13-2012, 11:55 PM

Ah, thanks. Too many sports in the spring for me to keep up with them all.

As a Redskins fan I am just dumbfounded as to why the Duke baseball team was playing the Cowboys this weekend...
Hmmmmm.

hahahahahahahahahaha!!

burnspbesq
05-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Hmmmmm.

Actually, they were playing Real Madrid. In terms of pure evil, the Cowboys are pikers by comparison (and I say that as a lifelong Giants fan).

greybeard
05-14-2012, 12:36 AM
it will be Duke Maryland, and should be quite a game. I think Maryland will control Hopkins and keep a foot on its neck. Look out for Denver!

MCFinARL
05-14-2012, 08:03 AM
it will be Duke Maryland, and should be quite a game. I think Maryland will control Hopkins and keep a foot on its neck. Look out for Denver!

And, presumably, you think Duke will move past Colgate next week? I'm hopeful that will happen, but Colgate looks like a tough out; I don't want to take anything for granted.

I'll be only too happy, though, if your Maryland-Hopkins prediction comes true. A rubber match with Maryland would also be a challenge for Duke, but I'd always rather see an ACC team advance (with the possible exception of UNC, and maybe not even that) than the loathsome Hopkins.

burnspbesq
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I didn't see anything over the weekend that caused me to change my original view that this is Notre Dame's tournament to lose. Defense wins championships, and nobody has solved theirs yet. I certainly don't think Virginia has the right combination of offensive assets (at least not this year; the 2010 Virginia team, with the Brattons and Carroll dodging up top, would be a very different challenge for the ND defense). ND - Loyola will be interesting, but I still see that as the end of the line for the puppies.

MCFinARL
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I didn't see anything over the weekend that caused me to change my original view that this is Notre Dame's tournament to lose. Defense wins championships, and nobody has solved theirs yet. I certainly don't think Virginia has the right combination of offensive assets (at least not this year; the 2010 Virginia team, with the Brattons and Carroll dodging up top, would be a very different challenge for the ND defense). ND - Loyola will be interesting, but I still see that as the end of the line for the puppies.

Agreed that this is not a typical Virginia offense--as their 6-5 win yesterday would tend to confirm. Didn't get to see the Notre Dame-Yale game, but what surprised me (and might make me more inclined to agree with you than I would have been before) was how many goals Notre Dame scored. As effectively as ND shuts down opposing offenses, it has seldom built up big leads and thus remains vulnerable to close losses (as in the 2010 championship game). But a ND that can score 13 is something to be feared.

The save statistics for the Yale goalies were woeful--can anyone who watched this game tell me if they had a particularly poor outing, or if Notre Dame was playing really strong offense?

burnspbesq
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/14/quint-kessenich-eight-go-forward-eight-go-home

I especially like this comment about Carolina's, umm, aggressiveness:

"The undisciplined defense, repeated cheap shots and high hits must be stopped. I have zero tolerance for their gutless headhunting and urge the ACC to take a closer look at penalizing repeat offenders."

burnspbesq
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Murlund vs. Hop at Navy at noon on the day of the Preakness?

Can you say "biggest traffic jam in the history of Anne Arundel County?"

Wonder if anyone other than the players' families and girlfriends will stick around for Loyola - Denver, Part Trois.

rtnorthrup
05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I first wanted to send out a big thanks to all that contribute to this thread. The Lax thread every year is one of my favorites as it does not have any of the usual bickering that pervades the basketball threads. Seems like this Duke team is not a finished product, but appers to be getting stronger each week. Hopefully the late season trip to Denver is an aberration.

Looking forward to reading people's opinions on the upcoming game against Colgate.

sagegrouse
05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I first wanted to send out a big thanks to all that contribute to this thread. The Lax thread every year is one of my favorites as it does not have any of the usual bickering that pervades the basketball threads. Seems like this Duke team is not a finished product, but appers to be getting stronger each week. Hopefully the late season trip to Denver is an aberration.

Looking forward to reading people's opinions on the upcoming game against Colgate.

I second the motion. Thanks, guys, for posting the messages. I still don't know a thing about lacrosse, but I am truly sorry I didn't get to play a sport where, if you throw the ball out of bounds, you usually get it back.

sage
'Of course, in the SC high school of my youth, there were only four sports -- football, boys hoops, track and girls hoops [played six on a side -- three offense, three defense].'

MCFinARL
05-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Murlund vs. Hop at Navy at noon on the day of the Preakness?

Can you say "biggest traffic jam in the history of Anne Arundel County?"

Wonder if anyone other than the players' families and girlfriends will stick around for Loyola - Denver, Part Trois.

Is there an electronic scoreboard at Annapolis? Maybe they can show the race on the scoreboard and spare lax fans the beer- and mud-sloshed wallow that is the Preakness infield. ;)

MCFinARL
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
I second the motion. Thanks, guys, for posting the messages. I still don't know a thing about lacrosse, but I am truly sorry I didn't get to play a sport where, if you throw the ball out of bounds, you usually get it back.

sage
'Of course, in the SC high school of my youth, there were only four sports -- football, boys hoops, track and girls hoops [played six on a side -- three offense, three defense].'

And don't forget dribbles limited to two before passing or shooting.

No baseball, though?

75Crazie
05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Was anybody else struck by the fact that Colgate started a sophomore at goal for his first start of the season in the UMass game? He had seen some action previously, but this was his first start and acquitted himself well, as far as I could tell. Evidently the first-string goalie told his coach he wasn't seeing the ball well.

burnspbesq
05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Is there an electronic scoreboard at Annapolis? Maybe they can show the race on the scoreboard and spare lax fans the beer- and mud-sloshed wallow that is the Preakness infield. ;)

My understanding is that the beer and mud are considered features, not bugs.

Back on topic, as we get closer to quarterfinal weekend, there is a lot of good info at insidelacrosse.com and collegecrosse.com

Another was in which Duke lax resembles Duke basketball is that we have our annual "is this the year we lose Coach Gabrielli" ordeal. The lax coaching carousel has started spinning, with Manhattan and Lafayette the first openings to be announced. The Leopards have been non-competitive in the Patriot League for a long time, but there is no obvious reason why the right coach couldn't pull off a turnaround similar to what Kevin Cassese has accomplished at Lehigh. Ruh-roh! That said, it seems like Duke could more easily absorb the loss of Coach Gabs now than in recent years. To all appearances, John Galloway is the real deal, and seems to have a great future in coaching.

burnspbesq
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Nine Duke recruits, five women and four men, have been selected for this year's Under Armour All-American Games on June 30. The games showcase 88 of the nation's best high school senior players.

On the men's side, attackman Case Matheis will play for the North, while goaltender Luke Aaron, midfielder Deemer Class, and defenseman Jamie Ikeda (who I expect will move to LSM at the college level) will suit up for the South.

On the women's side, goaltender Kelsey Duryea (who will not play due to injury), and midfielders Madison Acton and Emma Lazaroff will play for the North, while midfielders Claire Scarrone and Kelci Smesko (from my HS - Go Maroons!) will play for the South.

jkidd31
05-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Hoping Hop takes care of Maryland. UM has Duke's number the way We have UVa's.

I think ND shuts down UVa. I think they can take Stanwick out and UVa will need someone else to step up.

Hoping for a repeat of 2010...my sons lax coach played for ND and we have a good time talking trash to each other.

-bdbd
05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Nine Duke recruits, five women and four men, have been selected for this year's Under Armour All-American Games on June 30. The games showcase 88 of the nation's best high school senior players.

On the men's side, attackman Case Matheis will play for the North, while goaltender Luke Aaron, midfielder Deemer Class, and defenseman Jamie Ikeda (who I expect will move to LSM at the college level) will suit up for the South.

On the women's side, goaltender Kelsey Duryea (who will not play due to injury), and midfielders Madison Acton and Emma Lazaroff will play for the North, while midfielders Claire Scarrone and Kelci Smesko (from my HS - Go Maroons!) will play for the South.

On page 19 of this week's Sports Illustrated magazine (hard copy) - yes, the one with Jabari Parker on the cover (and a really interesting article about Duke's top recruit for 2013 BB - there is a small article about the incredibly athletic extended family that Junior Seau left behind. Then it notes, "But the most notable is Seau's lacrosse-playing son, Jake, who picked up the sport in seventh grade and who says he bonded with his father over learning the game's intricacies." He scored 25 goals in this, his Junior season. Led his team, the Bishop's School in LaJolla, CA, to the number one seed in the county playoffs. And, he has verbally committed to play at Duke. "Described by opponents as fast and strong with 'standout athleticism' the 190-lb midfielder has attended Jake Reed's Nike Blue Chip lacrosse camp - a top honor that offers the chance to playin front of D-1 coaches - and was selected to play on June 29 in the Under Armor Underclass All-Star tournament in Towson, MD."

Sad circumstances to learn about this future Blue Devil Laxman. But looking forward to seeing him out on the Lax field at Duke.

burnspbesq
05-19-2012, 12:42 AM
With Myles Jones arriving next year and Jake Seau the following year, the athleticism of Duke's midfield will be off the charts.

DUKIE V(A)
05-19-2012, 07:41 AM

I do not know enough about Lacrosse to know about the Colgate matchup, but I felt a lot better in talking with a dad on my son's baseball team. He played for UVA and referees Division 1 games (including ones involving Duke and Colgate). He had A LOT of complimentary things to say about the Duke program and coaching staff. I mean A LOT. In his opinion, Duke will handle Colgate without significant difficulty. When I lamented Duke's performance against Denver, he downplayed it. He said that Denver is good and well coached (by not such a great guy). He also said I should discount any game played in Denver. He basically said all ACC schools would struggle playing there (especially after winning the ACC Title over a rival). I hope he is right. He sounded so knowledgeable and confident in what he was saying it made me feel very good about tomorrow's game.

MCFinARL
05-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Hoping Hop takes care of Maryland. UM has Duke's number the way We have UVa's

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's true Maryland has beaten Duke a few times in recent years, but most of the games have been close, and Duke won one of two this year and one of three the previous year. This is a challenge, for sure, but I don't think it really compares to Duke's dominance of UVA, and it's not so long ago that Hopkins (admittedly a better Hopkins) beat Duke three times in three trips to the final four (2005, 2007, 2008).

That being said, based on the way both teams are playing in the first half, I agree I'd rather see Hopkins than Md., but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I do not know enough about Lacrosse to know about the Colgate matchup, but I felt a lot better in talking with a dad on my son's baseball team. He played for UVA and referees Division 1 games (including ones involving Duke and Colgate). He had A LOT of complimentary things to say about the Duke program and coaching staff. I mean A LOT. In his opinion, Duke will handle Colgate without significant difficulty. When I lamented Duke's performance against Denver, he downplayed it. He said that Denver is good and well coached (by not such a great guy). He also said I should discount any game played in Denver. He basically said all ACC schools would struggle playing there (especially after winning the ACC Title over a rival). I hope he is right. He sounded so knowledgeable and confident in what he was saying it made me feel very good about tomorrow's game.

That's nice to hear. I hope Duke doesn't think this, though. Colgate is a gutsy team playing with house money, and they have an awesome offensive threat in Peter Baum. Duke needs to take them seriously, as they did Syracuse.

Native
05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
And we're off in Philadelphia. Colgate leads Duke 2-3 with 4:47 left in 1Q. Colgate has three different goal scorers and, because the game is in Philadelphia, it's practically a home game for the Raiders. Not going well for Duke early on.

EDIT: Ryan Walsh makes it 4-2 Colgate. Coach Dano has seen enough — burns a TO early. Danger time — need to score quickly and can't let Colgate get confident. Baum is dirty.

Native
05-20-2012, 03:32 PM
We're even at 4 apiece at the end of the 1Q. Wigrizer's been making saves and we've started getting ground balls. As they always say, whoever wins the GB battle will win this game — limiting Colgate (and Baum) on offense will make our lives a lot easier. Go Duke!

Native
05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Duke in the middle of a HUGE scoring streak — seven unanswered goals for the boys in blue. We're on fire right now. 9-4 Duke with 5:40 left in the 2Q. Colgate calls TO. Let's keep it up!

Native
05-20-2012, 04:03 PM
11-4 at the half for the Devils. Slow start but that first TO calmed things down and picked things up — great call by Danowski. "This is not an unusual situation for Colgate", says Danowski. They've been behind many times before and look for a second-half comeback. Can't take our foot off the throttle. Need to finish them in the second half.

burnspbesq
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
By far Duke's best quarter of the season. Firing on all cylinders - even getting scoring from the second midfield.

Two more quarters.

Native
05-20-2012, 04:30 PM
15-4 Duke with 10:14 left in the 3Q. Everything going Duke's way right now. Wary of a last-gasp run that Colgate has left in them. If Baum gets touches they can score in bunches.

burnspbesq
05-20-2012, 04:49 PM
No way I saw this. Coming.

Native
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Duke dominates Colgate 17-6 to advance to the Final Four! This is Duke's sixth straight Final Four appearance under Coach Danowski. Amazing feat.

Duke will play ACC foe Maryland in the national semifinal. The winner of (1) Loyola / (4) Notre Dame awaits the winner of our matchup.

Fun fact: Duke freshman midfielder Will Haus will face off against his brother, Maryland midfielder John Haus, in the game next weekend. Their father has been a coach at both Hopkins and Carolina — both Haus brothers attended Chapel Hill HS for a time where I actually had the opportunity to play against them. Needless to say it didn't go well for my team. Great players.

burnspbesq
05-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Josh Offit's family will log some serious late night and early morning mileage next weekend. His sister plays for Florida.

burnspbesq
05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Every other team in the final four has a win over Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Great win today! Six straight Final Fours! Not even Coach K has done that! Let's beat those Terps next weekend! Let's Go Duke! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

roywhite
05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Duke will p;lay in the second game, beginning at approx. 5:00 PM.

Would mean a shorter turn-around for the finals, but might be a bit cooler; heat has been a factor in some recent championships.

Native
05-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Duke will p;lay in the second game, beginning at approx. 5:00 PM.

Would mean a shorter turn-around for the finals, but might be a bit cooler; heat has been a factor in some recent championships.

Especially because IIRC, the field at Gillette Stadium is rubberized turf. I remember that in a recent championship — might have been 2009 — the on-field temperature was in the 120º range. Scalding.

burnspbesq
05-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Especially because IIRC, the field at Gillette Stadium is rubberized turf. I remember that in a recent championship — might have been 2009 — the on-field temperature was in the 120º range. Scalding.

The playing surface was upgraded in 2010 to FieldTurf Duraspine Pro (whatever that is). Hopefully it doesn't retain as much heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Stadium

MCFinARL
05-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Every other team in the final four has a win over Duke.

Not too dissimilar to 2010, when both teams Duke beat in the final four had beaten them during the season. However, Duke hadn't played Cornell, and didn't that weekend, either.

77devil
05-20-2012, 08:40 PM

It was blistering hot in Baltimore in 2010 and we played the second game and it made a big difference in the temperature. The championship game was sweltering but it worked out just fine.

-bdbd
05-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Team looked really good yesterday. Who's likely to have biggest following up in Mass. next weekend?

As for the temps, while relevant, it'll be equally hot for both sides. And since we're maybe the deepest of the teams remaining I'd think it could even help. Having just beaten the Terps in the last couple of weeks I'd think that we have a slight psychological edge. But should be a tough, close game in any event - two opponnets that know one another well.

Can't say that this tournament has broken poorly for us. Quarters against a Colgate team that we obviously matched up well with, and then Semis vs the unranked Terps, who we just beat. Nothing will come easy, but hard to complain at this point. They seem to be peaking at the right time once again.

MCFinARL
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Team looked really good yesterday. Who's likely to have biggest following up in Mass. next weekend?

As for the temps, while relevant, it'll be equally hot for both sides. And since we're maybe the deepest of the teams remaining I'd think it could even help. Having just beaten the Terps in the last couple of weeks I'd think that we have a slight psychological edge. But should be a tough, close game in any event - two opponnets that know one another well.

Can't say that this tournament has broken poorly for us. Quarters against a Colgate team that we obviously matched up well with, and then Semis vs the unranked Terps, who we just beat. Nothing will come easy, but hard to complain at this point. They seem to be peaking at the right time once again.

Good question. Foxborough is a slog, and there is nothing to do nearby unless you really like hanging out in giant shopping malls. The commute from Boston or Providence is painful. So fans really need to be dedicated, either to a team or to the game itself. Without Syracuse (whose fans travel well) and UMass, the obvious fan base is thinned.

Based on the last several final fours, Duke has a loyal but fairly small fan base; they'll be there but I don't know that Duke will have any casual fans. Maryland drew fairly well in Baltimore last year (as did Virginia) but I don't know how well that is likely to translate to Foxborough. Loyola--I haven't a clue. That leaves Notre Dame, which definitely had more fans than Duke in Baltimore in 2010. Although their lacrosse tradition is fairly recent, Notre Dame seems to have serious fans that travel well and to be able to pick up casual fans (although the defensive orientation of their game sometimes alienates devoted lacrosse types). So, maybe Notre Dame? Not really sure.

MCFinARL
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Just saw a video of the Ravens' Ray Lewis giving the Loyola lax team a pep talk before last week's game, posted on collegecrosse.com. His theme was team before self, and he had an interesting illustration--the five fingers of his hand, which, when made into a fist, were much more powerful than when extended and separate. Where have I heard that before? ;)

juise
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Just saw a video of the Ravens' Ray Lewis giving the Loyola lax team a pep talk before last week's game, posted on collegecrosse.com. His theme was team before self, and he had an interesting illustration--the five fingers of his hand, which, when made into a fist, were much more powerful than when extended and separate. Where have I heard that before? ;)

If K's life story was transformed into a Zoolander sequel in which the part of K was played by Will Ferrell, his response to this would be:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the fist illustration. I invented it! What have you done, Ray Lewis? Nothing! You've done nothing!!!

House G
05-23-2012, 07:25 PM
http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/DI/2011-12/news/052212_mens_division_i_lacrosse_loyola_finds_way_t o_final_four
http://laxmagazine.com/blogs/author/mclaughlin/05.21.2012_at_11.50_a.m._by_Corey_McLaughlin

A couple of links for this weekend and 3 all-access videos from the game at UVa:
http://laxmagazine.com/thebiggame

MCFinARL
05-23-2012, 08:32 PM
http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/DI/2011-12/news/052212_mens_division_i_lacrosse_loyola_finds_way_t o_final_four
http://laxmagazine.com/blogs/author/mclaughlin/05.21.2012_at_11.50_a.m._by_Corey_McLaughlin

A couple of links for this weekend and 3 all-access videos from the game at UVa:
http://laxmagazine.com/thebiggame

Thanks for these links. I was a little surprised to hear that Colgate fans were talking (heckling?) about 2006, since the last people involved with that team (other than John Danowski as a parent) have been gone since 2010, but I guess you use what you have. Here's hoping the Cameron Crazies always stay more current with their trash cheering.

Elsewhere, Terry Foy of Insidelacrosse.com projects CJ Costabile as a slight favorite for the Tewaaraton Trophy, based on the fact that he is one of only two finalists playing Memorial Day weekend and he had two terrific performances in Duke's playoff games so far. http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/23/mens-lacrosse-chasing-tewaaraton-odds For those who read about, but do not know much about, lacrosse, I'll just note that the Tewaaraton "best player" award definitely puts a lot of emphasis on the post season and almost always goes to an attack or offense-oriented midfielder. Duke's previous winners, Matt Danowski and Ned Crotty, are very typical Tewaaraton winners.

That Duke is playing this weekend is an important boost for CJ, but his role as a longstick middie whose most impressive statistics are face-offs and groundballs, rather than goals or assists, would likely count against him. That he is getting as much attention as he is as a contender for the award is a tremendous testament to what an impact player he is in the middle of the field. No matter what happens this weekend, it's been such a pleasure to watch him and the other seniors like Justin Turri, Mike Manley, Rob Rotanz play. Duke has a lot of talent returning, and they'll be fine, but this class will be missed.

sagegrouse
05-23-2012, 10:10 PM

If K's life story was transformed into a Zoolander sequel in which the part of K was played by Will Ferrell, his response to this would be:

Guys! Guys! The fist analogy is relatively ancient. In Bang the Drum Slowly (1973), possibly Robert DeNiro's first lead role, baseball manager Dutch Schnell (Vincent Gardenia) was having a team meeting. He swatted at a fly. "You know why I missed that fly?' he asked. He fluttered his fingers at the team and said, "These five fingers weren't working together. That's just like this team." Then he made a fist and said, "This is what we want." [Quotes from memory over nearly 40 years - so no promises on accuracy, although I really think there was such a movie.]

sage

burnspbesq
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Congrats to the five Duke players who were named to the USILA All-America teams.

CJ Costabile and Rob Rotanz were named to the first team, Jordan Wolf and Mike Manley to the second team, and Justin Turri got honorable mention.

Well done, gentlemen.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/24/usila-announces-2012-division-i-all-americans

burnspbesq
05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/24/may-madness-dukes-robert-rotanz-peaking-critical-point-his-senior-year

Rob has really had an extraordinary senior season. I'm not certain (the lax media guide is a little light on historical information), but his 38 goals may be the Duke single-season record for a midfielder.

Now he needs to step up for one more weekend. The key to Murlund's success in slowing down our offense is that they have kept Rob and Jordan off the board. We need to spin the ball, force a slide that takes Bernhardt off Rob, and then go at the shorties. Jordan can't just run by Murray, so he has to do more dodging, perhaps from GLE to get underneath.

burnspbesq
05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hs_sports/girls_lacrosse/153445695_Quietly_the_best.html

MCFinARL
05-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Guys! Guys! The fist analogy is relatively ancient. In Bang the Drum Slowly (1973), possibly Robert DeNiro's first lead role, baseball manager Dutch Schnell (Vincent Gardenia) was having a team meeting. He swatted at a fly. "You know why I missed that fly?' he asked. He fluttered his fingers at the team and said, "These five fingers weren't working together. That's just like this team." Then he made a fist and said, "This is what we want." [Quotes from memory over nearly 40 years - so no promises on accuracy, although I really think there was such a movie.]

sage

At least you remembered it! I saw and liked that movie, and didn't remember the fist analogy at all. For that matter, I didn't even remember that Robert DeNiro was in the cast, though I did remember Vincent Gardenia. So your memory beats mine, Sage.

burnspbesq
05-25-2012, 10:49 AM
He wins the USILA's McLaughlin Award as the outstanding midfielder of the year in D1.

If I had a vote, it might have gone to Kiel Matisz of Robert Morris; a 40-goal season for a midfielder is a ridiculous accomplishment, particularly when he doesn't get to enhance his stats in the tournament (Rob Rotanz had 29 in the regular season). But CJ is absolutely a deserving winner.

burnspbesq
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/5/26/3044905/a-zillion-stories-and-one-set-of-beats-semifinal-saturday

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think Maryland can light up our defense. I think nine goals will be enough. Keys are for CJ to be CJ, to force Maryland to slide into matchups it doesn't like and then exploit those matchups, and for non-marquee names (Dionne, Tripucka, Lawson, DeLuca on face offs) to contribute.

roywhite
05-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Accuweather calling for high temp of 84 degrees for Boston this afternoon.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boston-ma/02108/weekend-weather/348735

Monday forecast is cooler, with high of 69 and chance of t-storms.

Native
05-26-2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/5/26/3044905/a-zillion-stories-and-one-set-of-beats-semifinal-saturday

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think Maryland can light up our defense. I think nine goals will be enough. Keys are for CJ to be CJ, to force Maryland to slide into matchups it doesn't like and then exploit those matchups, and for non-marquee names (Dionne, Tripucka, Lawson, DeLuca on face offs) to contribute.

Here's the problem with today's matchup — Maryland is doing what JHU did back when they beat us in '05 and '07 IIRC: they're playing a stalwart possession game, slowing tempo as much as possible and denying our midfielders and attack the ball to score quick goals. Duke favors a traditional, flowing, run-and-gun style of lacrosse — what Maryland will do today is sit on the ball to try and negate that style. After the game, win or lose, brace yourself for a flurry of exclamations of "lacrosse needs a shot clock".

Duke needs to strike early in this game. We have to build a lead of a few goals early so that Maryland is forced to attempt to score instead of holding possession. If they can play us even or ahead through out, that plays greatly into their strategy. We also need to make smart decisions on offense, as Jesse Bernhardt leads a talented group of longsticks:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/05/24/marylands-defense-continues-grow-a-force
This Saturday's matchup with Duke will be the third time the Terps' defense has matched up with the Blue Devils. They've held them to seven and six goals in those contests respectively, though the second game resulted in a 6-5 Duke win. For this rubber match, except the defense to continue to be key.

Dictation of tempo is the penultimate key to this game, and we need to do it from the start. Score early and win faceoffs — CJ, DeLuca, and Fowler need to produce at the X today. We split with Maryland in the regular season, so this is the rubber match!

Game time is 5PM EST. Go Devils!

DukieInKansas
05-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Just have to say, as the game starts, LET'S GO, DUKE!

I fully expect a Duke win, but I do want to say congratulations on a great season, so far. Let's get 2 more victories!

Bob Green
05-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Halftime: Maryland 7, Duke 4. The game has been fast paced but sloppy with both teams turning it over.

burnspbesq
05-26-2012, 06:28 PM
A couple of really uncharacteristic mistakes by Manley. Stay home, win your matchup.

75Crazie
05-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Who is this team in white? This is not the same Duke team I've been watching the last few weeks. Has Maryland gotten inside our heads?

Kewlswim
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Is it OK to say, "I really hate another FF loss." I know it is better to get here and lose than not get here, but ugh.

GO DUKE!

_Gary
05-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank goodness for 2010. But for that I'd feel like the team was mirroring Coach K's before the breakthrough. What is this, the 7th Final Four trip in 8 years? I hate getting that close so often and only having 1 championship to show for it. Nothing lasts forever and you want to make hay while it's daylight.

coldriver10
05-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Thank goodness for 2010. But for that I'd feel like the team was mirroring Coach K's before the breakthrough. What is this, the 7th Final Four trip in 8 years? I hate getting that close so often and only having 1 championship to show for it. Nothing lasts forever and you want to make hay while it's daylight.
As a huge Braves fan, I can relate...only 1 WS championship has a way of undermining 14 straight division titles.

Bummed about this loss, but hats off to Amato...he played a great game. Hopefully next year will be another version of 2010 for two Duke squads!

msdukie
05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Next play!

DevilWearsPrada
05-27-2012, 12:23 PM

I was at the Final Championship game in Baltimore in 2010, with a very good Dukie friend. It was about 110 degrees sitting in the Ravens Arena that afternoon! But what a wonderful win over ND! And to see the 1st ever Duke Lacrosse National Championship was a thrill and honor. The prior month, we went to the Final Four in Indianapolis for Basketball! 2010 was a great year for traveling to see the Blue Devils bring home the Top Honors!

So proud of our Mens LAcrosse team, and having a great season, and getting back to the Final 4. Coach D has done a remarkable job has a coach and leader and restoring the Good Name of Duke in regards to Lacrosse!

Go Duke!

burnspbesq
05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Duke should be a top-five caliber team in 2013.

We lose four key players (Rotanz, Turri, Manley, Costabile) and one other regular (Coyle). They represent over 60 percent of our midfield scoring. That said, the cupboard is anything but bare, and we have another strong recruiting class coming in, led by the number one player in the espnhs 100, attackman Case Mattheis from Darien CT, top goaltending prospect Luke Aaron from Deerfield Academy, and 2011 Under Armour All-American midfielder Myles Jones (who took a PG year).

We have quality and depth at every position.

A guess at the opening-day lineup.

G: Wigrizer

D: Connors, Lobb, Hipps

First M: Tripucka, Wolf, Jones

Second M: Lawson, Class, Keenan

LSM: Duprey (Dailey and Ikeda will also see time)

SSDM: DeLuca, Haus (Patterson will also see time)

A: Walsh, Dionne, Mattheis

FO: Fowler (DeLuca will also take some)

FO wings: Dailey, Haus (Duprey, Patterson, Ikeda will also see time)

EMO: Walsh, Dionne, Mattheis, Tripucka, Jones, Class

MDD: Connors, Lobb, Hipps, Dailey, Haus

Native
05-27-2012, 02:39 PM

We lose four key players (Rotanz, Turri, Manley, Costabile) and one other regular (Coyle). They represent over 60 percent of our midfield scoring. That said, the cupboard is anything but bare, and we have another strong recruiting class coming in, led by the number one player in the espnhs 100, attackman Case Mattheis from Darien CT, top goaltending prospect Luke Aaron from Deerfield Academy, and 2011 Under Armour All-American midfielder Myles Jones (who took a PG year).

Wow, I haven't seen anything on Case Mattheis but if it's thought that he'll start over Jordan Wolf at the attack he must be very, very good. Was Wolf a midfielder in HS or something? I don't see any reason to move him from A unless Matheis is as advertised.

burnspbesq
05-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow, I haven't seen anything on Case Mattheis but if it's thought that he'll start over Jordan Wolf at the attack he must be very, very good. Was Wolf a midfielder in HS or something? I don't see any reason to move him from A unless Matheis is as advertised.

Mattheis is all that. He'll be on the field from day one. It's not a matter of him "starting over" Wolf; all four of Wolf, Walsh, Dionne, and Mattheis have to be on the field. In my view, Wolf has the best skill-set to move to midfield. He'll break ankles up top, force early slides with his speed, and generally create havoc.

MCFinARL
05-27-2012, 06:14 PM

There are a lot of very promising options here--but I think the team is likely to miss CJ Costabile's unique skill set. It will be interesting to see who steps up to take on the role of all-around difference maker next season.

jkidd31
05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Hoping Hop takes care of Maryland. UM has Duke's number the way We have UVa's.

I think ND shuts down UVa. I think they can take Stanwick out and UVa will need someone else to step up.

Hoping for a repeat of 2010...my sons lax coach played for ND and we have a good time talking trash to each other.

Wish I was wrong on this...the Terps made us look real bad yesterday. Not sure what happened to the D...16 goals tied for second most UM put up this year. If you would have told me Duke would score 10 goals before the game I would have thought we'd be playing on Monday.

Really disappointing was for the season to end.

burnspbesq
05-27-2012, 11:55 PM
There are a lot of very promising options here--but I think the team is likely to miss CJ Costabile's unique skill set. It will be interesting to see who steps up to take on the role of all-around difference maker next season.

It very well could be Will Haus. He's got the complete package. I'm not betting on it happening on a regular basis, but Dano could send out Tripucka, DeLuca, and Haus as an old-school two-way first midfield unit. And they would dominate on both ends.

burnspbesq
05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=30678

chrishoke
05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Maryland just flat out kicked our butt - I am in shock at how easily they scored the whole game.

-bdbd
05-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Maryland just flat out kicked our butt - I am in shock at how easily they scored the whole game.

That was a really tough final 20 minutes to watch. This team has depth and will clearly be very good again next year. Looking forward to yet another Final-Four run.
:cool:

AtlBluRew
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
MD executed their offense very, very well. As a Duke fan, it was difficult to watch that efficiency. On the other hand, as a Duke fan, it was very good to watch us winning face-offs and making a run in the second half. As a Duke alum and fan, I'm proud of this team and this coaching staff! Already looking forward to next year.

burnspbesq
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
A dominating performance by the Hounds, who shut out Maryland for the last 40:40 to win 9-3.

Eric Lusby broke Zac Greer's tournament goal-scoring record with 17.

As I said on another site, it's so typical of Murlund to spend all its emotion against Duke and not show up for the championship game.

When does next season start?

greybeard
05-28-2012, 04:24 PM
A dominating performance by the Hounds, who shut out Maryland for the last 40:40 to win 9-3.

Eric Lusby broke Zac Greer's tournament goal-scoring record with 17.

As I said on another site, it's so typical of Murlund to spend all its emotion against Duke and not show up for the championship game.

When does next season start?

This does none of the three justice--not Duke for having gotten there on shakey legs, not Maryland for its daring strategy of taking on Duke and beating it at Duke's own game, and certainly not Loyola, clearly and by far the best team in the nation, which chose to play Maryland's game and beat it decisively.

Billy Dat
05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
This does none of the three justice--not Duke for having gotten there on shakey legs, not Maryland for its daring strategy of taking on Duke and beating it at Duke's own game, and certainly not Loyola, clearly and by far the best team in the nation, which chose to play Maryland's game and beat it decisively.

After that first quarter, Loyola's defense was insane. I have been learning the game as my sons have picked it up and we were marveling at how well the Loyola defenders moved their feet to stay in front of their men, and helped on defense. Lacrosse defense is remarkably similar to basketball and Loyola were not getting beaten "off the dribble". Maryland, on the other hand, gave Loyola way too many open looks. Had Maryland not dominated the face-offs, Loyola may have won by more. It really was a dominant performance.

MCFinARL
05-29-2012, 12:06 PM
After that first quarter, Loyola's defense was insane. I have been learning the game as my sons have picked it up and we were marveling at how well the Loyola defenders moved their feet to stay in front of their men, and helped on defense. Lacrosse defense is remarkably similar to basketball and Loyola were not getting beaten "off the dribble". Maryland, on the other hand, gave Loyola way too many open looks. Had Maryland not dominated the face-offs, Loyola may have won by more. It really was a dominant performance.

Yes, I think a lot of people weren't sure what to make of Loyola this year because, coming into the season, the prognosticators didn't think they would be a top team. But it appears, looking back on their excellent season, that they really were the best team in college lacrosse this year. Good for them!

roywhite
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, I think a lot of people weren't sure what to make of Loyola this year because, coming into the season, the prognosticators didn't think they would be a top team. But it appears, looking back on their excellent season, that they really were the best team in college lacrosse this year. Good for them!

I've enjoyed following Coach Danowski's stellar program, and enjoyed the commentary from those who follow the sport closely.

I find it interesting to see the variation in results....how strange it seems to have Maryland score 16 vs Duke and then 3 vs Loyola, or how Duke is able to dominate Virginia and struggle with Maryland.
Variables seem to include goal tending and just overall team matchups. Plus a single elimination format, which we certainly see in NCAA hoops upsets.

MCFinARL
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I've enjoyed following Coach Danowski's stellar program, and enjoyed the commentary from those who follow the sport closely.

I find it interesting to see the variation in results....how strange it seems to have Maryland score 16 vs Duke and then 3 vs Loyola, or how Duke is able to dominate Virginia and struggle with Maryland.
Variables seem to include goal tending and just overall team matchups. Plus a single elimination format, which we certainly see in NCAA hoops upsets.

I'm sure there are commenters here who can speak more knowledgeably than I on this subject, but certainly all the factors you mention are part of it. Goaltending is complicated by the way the defense is playing. Certainly Duke's goalie, Dan Wigrizer, looked a lot better in the first two tournament games than he did against Maryland--but he also faced a lot more point-blank shots against Maryland than he did in the other two games. Whenever a Duke slide left someone open, Maryland found the open man with a quick, accurate pass, and that man took an accurate shot before a Duke defender could pick him up. Sometimes if a goaltender is seeing the ball really well and having an excellent day, he can stop a larger percentage of those wide-open, accurate shots than Wigrizer did on Saturday. But forcing teams to take difficult shots is, overall, a better way to reduce opponents' scoring than relying on a defenseless goaltender to come up with a heroic performance. Interestingly, the Loyola goalie commented that his defense made sure that he saw mostly high, stick-side shots this weekend--which are the kind he feels best able to handle.

In the end, it was apparently an advantage for Maryland to know Duke so well (and to have a bit of a psychological edge based on its winning record against Duke recently--even the ACC tournament game Duke won was close to the last second). They seemed to know just how to counter Duke's strengths and exploit its weaknesses, but didn't have the same experience against Loyola.

burnspbesq
05-31-2012, 04:43 PM

Oddly enough, Maryland head coach John Tillman saw the same things I saw.

Exhausted and emotionally spent, there wasn’t much the Terps could do to prove otherwise in the second half against Loyola.

“I told them at halftime, ‘Who is this group and who replaced the guys from the other day?’ ” Tillman said. “We just didn’t have our A-game. We just didn’t. We got away from what got us here. Part of that was us, but part of that, you have to give Loyola all the credit.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/28/against-loyola-terps-stopped-doing-what-they-had-d/

sagegrouse
05-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Sometimes it's the dynamics of a series of sporting contests. I harken back to the easy win over Colgate. Trailing 4-2, Duke thoroughly dominated and demoralized a good Colgate team to win 17-6. How many times in hoops and other sports does an easy win lead to a huge letdown? And it is hard for coaches to talk sense to teams in such circumstances.

sagegrouse

MCFinARL
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Sometimes it's the dynamics of a series of sporting contests. I harken back to the easy win over Colgate. Trailing 4-2, Duke thoroughly dominated and demoralized a good Colgate team to win 17-6. How many times in hoops and other sports does an easy win lead to a huge letdown? And it is hard for coaches to talk sense to teams in such circumstances.

sagegrouse

I'm sure there is some truth to this--but Maryland was a known opponent, and not in a confidence-inspiring way. On the one hand, the team may have perceived themselves to be peaking and thus better than they were in previous games against Maryland; on the other hand, I wouldn't think it would take a lot of sense-talking from the coaches to remind the players of how close their previous game against Maryland--only a couple of weeks earlier--was. For whatever reason, the team did not play its best; overconfidence may have been part of that, but it shouldn't have been, under the circumstances.

Your logic does, though, possibly apply to Maryland, who perhaps couldn't recover enough energy in a 2-day turnaround to match Loyola after level of excellence and energy they sustained in beating Duke.