PDA

View Full Version : Maryland's Troubles: Pe'Shon Howard Arrested/Stoglin Gone/Parker Suspended

JBDuke
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Not a huge deal - allegedly, he interfered with an officer doing his duty - but still, not good news for Maryland basketball. Here's the Washington Post story. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-basketball-player-peshon-howard-arrested-cited-for-disorderly-conduct-outside-restaurant/2012/04/29/gIQAeWpcqT_story.html)

ACCBBallFan
04-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Not a huge deal - allegedly, he interfered with an officer doing his duty - but still, not good news for Maryland basketball. Here's the Washington Post story. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-basketball-player-peshon-howard-arrested-cited-for-disorderly-conduct-outside-restaurant/2012/04/29/gIQAeWpcqT_story.html)

Tough day for Terps on guard news - Terrell Stoglin decided to go pro at last minute

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=7203&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

OldPhiKap
04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Tough day for Terps on guard news - Terrell Stoglin decided to go pro at last minute

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=7203&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I guess it's not official until he hires an agent, but sure sounds like he's gone.

I like Turgeon, looks like he will get to build a new team. I know he also has a good transfer from Michigan (Evan Smotrycz) coming in, although I assume that he is not eligible for this upcoming season.

But it could be a long season this year, for sure.

-jk
04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I guess it's not official until he hires an agent, but sure sounds like he's gone.

I like Turgeon, looks like he will get to build a new team. I know he also has a good transfer from Michigan (Evan Smotrycz) coming in, although I assume that he is not eligible for this upcoming season.

But it could be a long season this year, for sure.

I think entering the draft after the April 10 pull-out is irreversible, agent or no.

-jk

jimsumner
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Things getting real strange in College Park.

Press release

"Terrell Stoglin and Mychal Parker have been suspended from the men’s basketball team for one year due to a violation of the University of Maryland Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, athletics department officials announced Monday.

On Sunday, Stoglin entered his name for the upcoming NBA Draft. The deadline to declare for the draft was April 29, with the draft itself to be held June 28 in Newark, N.J.

Parker has already announced his intention to transfer from Maryland to attend another institution. The suspension levied to both players is a university sanction, rather than one imposed by the NCAA.

“Being a University of Maryland student-athlete carries a tremendous honor and responsibility,” said director of athletics Kevin Anderson. “As much as we appreciate the effort these two young men gave to the program this season, they were unable to live up to that responsibility. We’re disappointed, but hope they use this as a learning experience.” "

sagegrouse
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
"Terrell Stoglin and Mychal Parker have been suspended from the men’s basketball team for one year due to a violation of the University of Maryland Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, athletics department officials announced Monday.

On Sunday, Stoglin entered his name for the upcoming NBA Draft. The deadline to declare for the draft was April 29, with the draft itself to be held June 28 in Newark, N.J.

Given Stoglin's public disagreements with Coach Turgeon during the season, looks like the kid is w-a-a-a-y immature.
How's that NBA thing gonna work out, Terrell?
sage

ACCBBallFan
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I think entering the draft after the April 10 pull-out is irreversible, agent or no.

-jk

That's my understanding as well. This was the NBA last date April 29 which was different than the NCAA last date that had no impact on Quincy Miller or Stoglin when they decided later.

I think the UK 5 may have been after the date as well, since coach Calipari said the NCAA date was moot, as far as he was concerned.

OldPhiKap
04-30-2012, 11:43 AM
coach Calipari said the NCAA date was moot, as far as he was concerned.

most rules are for Cal.

UrinalCake
04-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Looks like Howard may have to spend some time in the Pe'Nitentiary.

DUKIE V(A)
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Given Stoglin's public disagreements with Coach Turgeon during the season, looks like the kid is w-a-a-a-y immature.
How's that NBA thing gonna work out, Terrell?
sage

No Terps lover here, but I have to admit Coach Turgeon set some appropriate limits with Terrell. He has gained my respect and seems to be moving the program in the right direction. In the long run, the Terps will be better off without the malcontent. The more I coach (albeit at a much lower level than Elite Division I Basketball) the more I realize that unhappy guys and guys who don't play for the team do much more harm than good no matter their talent level.

Newton_14
04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
No Terps lover here, but I have to admit Coach Turgeon set some appropriate limits with Terrell. He has gained my respect and seems to be moving the program in the right direction. In the long run, the Terps will be better off without the malcontent. The more I coach (albeit at a much lower level than Elite Division I Basketball) the more I realize that unhappy guys and guys who don't play for the team do much more harm than good no matter their talent level.

I am definitely siding with Turgeon in all of this. He is cleaning up the program of the bad apples. Good for him. Once he gets the house in order and gets his own recruits in there, the program will be better for it in my humble opinion. Stoglin was a selfish head case and not a team player.

FerryFor50
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
I am definitely siding with Turgeon in all of this. He is cleaning up the program of the bad apples. Good for him. Once he gets the house in order and gets his own recruits in there, the program will be better for it in my humble opinion. Stoglin was a selfish head case and not a team player.

Are you implying that Gary Williams recruited less than savory characters while at Maryland?

*shock*

OldPhiKap
05-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Are you implying that Gary Williams recruited less than savory characters while at Maryland?

*shock*

I don't think Gary brought in thugs and bad kids. His kids all played hard and physical, but not in a VTech-bountyfest style.

The "fans" on the otherhand were out of control, and Gary did little to reign that in AFAIK.

roywhite
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't think Gary brought in thugs and bad kids. His kids all played hard and physical, but not in a VTech-bountyfest style.

The "fans" on the otherhand were out of control, and Gary did little to reign that in AFAIK.

Just my opinion, but I think Gary tired of recruiting and spent less time doing it, resulting in losing out on some good local talent, and then bringing in kids with less than stellar behavior.

Terp fan behavior?....Gary is not the only one to blame there (administration could have been waaay more forceful), but Gary could have set the tone....never did.

FerryFor50
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

I guess you're forgetting about Lonnie Baxter. And Steve Francis. And Stoglin was Gary's recruit...

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. But he definitely brought in less than savory individuals.

sagegrouse
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I guess you're forgetting about Lonnie Baxter. And Steve Francis. And Stoglin was Gary's recruit...

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. But he definitely brought in less than savory individuals.

And the memorable John Gilchrist, who left after his sophomore year in 2004 for the riches of the NBA and vanished without a trace.

sage

OldPhiKap
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM

And the memorable John Gilchrist, who left after his sophomore year in 2004 for the riches of the NBA and vanished without a trace.

sage

I don't recall any of those guys playing dirty or getting into trouble. My memory is getting worse each year, though.

Plus, IIRC, Francis only played a year there (he was a transfer). I thought Gilchrist was all-world soph year but actually didn't leave until after his jr. year.

Jderf
05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Dave Neal.

I doubt think Gary spent very much time addressing how to set picks without driving your shoulder into the defender's skull. Dangerous stuff.

UrinalCake
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Terp fan behavior?....Gary is not the only one to blame there (administration could have been waaay more forceful), but Gary could have set the tone....never did.

Gary was constantly at odds with the administration. When fan behavior got bad, the administration would try to take action and Gary would complain publicly about it. He set an example of disrespecting authority and of self-promotion and the fans followed suit. So yeah, Gary definitely shares in the blame for fan behavior IMO.

Also, Gilchrist was a headcase who reminds me a lot of Stoglin. Great talent but a difficult teammate and difficult to coach. I think Maryland will be better off without Stoglin, especially since they have a lot of young talent that needs to develop.

capitolhill
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't recall any of those guys playing dirty or getting into trouble. My memory is getting worse each year, though.

Plus, IIRC, Francis only played a year there (he was a transfer). I thought Gilchrist was all-world soph year but actually didn't leave until after his jr. year.

What, exactly, was unsavory about Steve Francis? The guy was a three-time all star in the NBA and had a pretty good overall career. Sure, he complained publicly about going to Vancouver, but overall he was a pretty good guy.

Baxter had a dumb incident few years after college, but as a recruit and college athlete he was just a hard-working kid. I'd hardly call him an unsavory character. Hell - Duke recruited Sheldon Williams. Remember him?

awhom111
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM

sage

Sometimes when people bring up these old names, I get curious and look up where they are. Gilchrist started the season in Slovakia (obscure, but not totally out there) and is currently playing in Kosovo (about as far out there as you can get in the sports world considering how long it's been a country).

Newton_14
05-03-2012, 11:17 PM
What, exactly, was unsavory about Steve Francis? The guy was a three-time all star in the NBA and had a pretty good overall career. Sure, he complained publicly about going to Vancouver, but overall he was a pretty good guy.

Baxter had a dumb incident few years after college, but as a recruit and college athlete he was just a hard-working kid. I'd hardly call him an unsavory character. Hell - Duke recruited Sheldon Williams. Remember him?

Sheldon Williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to Shelden Williams, he was one of the Duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented Duke well since Day 1 of becoming a Blue Devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

And FWIW, I had no issues with Francis. Good player. Hot Tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.

subzero02
05-04-2012, 02:35 AM
sheldon williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to shelden williams, he was one of the duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented duke well since day 1 of becoming a blue devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

and fwiw, i had no issues with francis. Good player. Hot tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.

rati!!!

oldnavy
05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Sheldon Williams? Never heard of him. Now if you are referring to Shelden Williams, he was one of the Duke greats. All charges were dropped in the supposed incident you are referring to, and were there anything to it, that would not have happened. Shelden has represented Duke well since Day 1 of becoming a Blue Devil. Wrong choice if you are looking for problem child's.

And FWIW, I had no issues with Francis. Good player. Hot Tempered at times, but that isn't a big deal to me.

As usual I agree with my Creedmoore friend here. No problems with Stevie Francis. I remember reading about him losing his mother at an critical point in his life (teens, I believe) and I wrote him a letter of encouragement having gone through the same thing. I never heard back from him so I am not sure he got the letter or not, but that type of thing can have an profound impact on a kids personality, so I always cut him some slack. Plus he was a heck of a player.

Shelden was an ambassador while at Duke, not sure about the reference there... anyone can accuse anyone for just about anything, seems we of all fans should remember that from the lacrosse farce.