PDA

View Full Version : The Illinois State job

Olympic Fan
04-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Hope this doesn't count as rumor mongering ... I don't claim to have any inside info, I'm just wondering:

Tim Jankovich left Illinois State today to become Larry Brown's top assistant and coach-in-waiting at SMU:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7859037/tim-jankovich-agrees-smu-coach-waiting

That means Illinois State is suddenly without a head coach. Now, they could promote an assistant or hire an out-of-work coach (Seth Greenberg?)

But I'm just wondering if Chris Collins' name will surface before the job is filled? He's an Illinois native and his father was the greatest star in Illinois State history. I think he was a candidate several years ago when the job opened up. I don't know if he turned it down then or they decided to go a different way.

Again, no information here -- just wondering if Chris will be a candidate there?

Greg_Newton
04-27-2012, 03:13 AM
No offense to any ISUers, but wouldn't that job be kind of beneath Chris? I would think that he could get a much higher-profile gig when he decides to branch out.

SilkyJ
04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
No offense to any ISUers, but wouldn't that job be kind of beneath Chris? I would think that he could get a much higher-profile gig when he decides to branch out.

Its my understanding from people in the know, including some posters on this board, that Chris and Wojo are quite happy as assts at Duke (who wouldn't be!? they are among the highest paid assts in the country, they work for and learn from the GOAT, the Duke Athl Dept supports the team very nicely, and they have strong roots in Durham) and, much like Johnny D did, are waiting for the right oppty to open up at a major or high level mid-major. Again, no offense ISUers, but from everything I know this wouldn't seem to qualify.

Monmouth77
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM

I am not sure I understand why a job in the MVC is "beneath" any first time head coach.

Chris is probably a fabulous coach, he certainly has a nice resume working for Coach K, and he gives the kind of polished interviews that lead one to believe he'd be a great living room recruiter. To the extent it matters, his Dad is a longtime successful NBA coach.

All that said, he hasn't ever been a head coach. It was apparent during the Illinois coaching search that his name was never seriously in the mix, despite the self-generated chatter among Duke fans.

Why wouldn't he try to make a name for himself coaching at a mid-major in a conference where at large bids are not unheard of, in a region of the country where he might have some recruiting advantages.

Northwestern might appeal to him more -- and might be a better long term fit-- but who knows when that job will open up.

Just saying, I don't think it would be crazy.

Was the head coaching job at Delaware "beneath" Mike Brey?

Was the VCU job "beneath" Jeff Capel?

Chicago 1995
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM

What evidence is there that Chris (or Wo) will get be able to make a jump to a higher profile program? BCS programs, for the most part, want coaches with experience as a head coach. Thinking Chris and Wo are going to be able to simply walk in to a top 20 job isn't realistic.

Illinois State would be a great opportunity for Chris. Jankovich has a solid roster in place. The MVC has good visibility and there is real opportunity to build a nationally relevant program. Creighton, Wichita State, and SIU before them show that.

Couple that with Chris's connections in the greater Chicago area, one would think he could recruit well and build at ISU. I think it's a great opportunity, and a better and more realistic starting point for Chris than Illinois or a similar job

Reilly
04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
What evidence is there that Chris (or Wo) will get be able to make a jump to a higher profile program? ... Illinois State would be a great opportunity for Chris. .... I think it's a great opportunity, and a better and more realistic starting point for Chris than Illinois or a similar job

Illinois State was a great opportunity for Bender, who parlayed it into the University of Washington job.

Delaware (pre-CAA) was a great opportunity for Brey, who parlayed it into the Notre Dame job.

I guess Amaker (Seton Hall) and Dawkins (Stanford) made direct, bigger-time jumps.

Bob Green
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
No offense to any ISUers, but wouldn't that job be kind of beneath Chris?

Couple that with Chris's connections in the greater Chicago area, one would think he could recruit well and build at ISU. I think it's a great opportunity, and a better and more realistic starting point for Chris than Illinois or a similar job

I agree with Chicago 1995, this seems like a golden opportunity for Coach Collins to move up to a head coaching position. The MVC is a solid league.

gumbomoop
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Small update from Katz, raising issue of whether Chris would want to coach where his father is a legend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

TexHawk
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Jankovich was Bill Self's top assistant at KU before he took the job at ISU. Kevin Stallings used it as a stepping stone to Vanderbilt. He also was the top assistant at KU before going to ISU (he was under Roy). So yea, I don't see why that job would be below anybody.

Actually, it's probably a perfect situation. Get a chance to figure out how to run a program on your own in a small pond, deal with the local media, be the closer in recruiting, etc. College basketball is a lot different these days, assistants don't just roll into blue-blood jobs like they used to.

Channing
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Just echoing sentiment ... I think the idea that one of our guys is going to jump to a major program is wishful thinking (Hope I am wrong). While we all think/know that they are great coaches, there are other great coaches who have proved it at the mid-major level (Smart at VCU and McDermott at Creighton). I think the right mid-major is the perfect place for one of our guys to go to cut their teeth as a head coach. I hope nobody's ego is so large to think that the only job worth their while is at a high major.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I am not sure I understand why a job in the MVC is "beneath" any first time head coach.

Chris is probably a fabulous coach, he certainly has a nice resume working for Coach K, and he gives the kind of polished interviews that lead one to believe he'd be a great living room recruiter. To the extent it matters, his Dad is a longtime successful NBA coach.

All that said, he hasn't ever been a head coach. It was apparent during the Illinois coaching search that his name was never seriously in the mix, despite the self-generated chatter among Duke fans.

Why wouldn't he try to make a name for himself coaching at a mid-major in a conference where at large bids are not unheard of, in a region of the country where he might have some recruiting advantages.

Northwestern might appeal to him more -- and might be a better long term fit-- but who knows when that job will open up.

Just saying, I don't think it would be crazy.

Was the head coaching job at Delaware "beneath" Mike Brey?

Was the VCU job "beneath" Jeff Capel?

I agree with your overall point, but just wanted to point out that when Capel took over the VCU job, he was an assistant there already, so it was a nice move without actually having to move. Also he was only 27, and thus the youngest HC in the country.

TexHawk
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Just echoing sentiment ... I think the idea that one of our guys is going to jump to a major program is wishful thinking (Hope I am wrong). While we all think/know that they are great coaches, there are other great coaches who have proved it at the mid-major level (Smart at VCU and McDermott at Creighton). I think the right mid-major is the perfect place for one of our guys to go to cut their teeth as a head coach. I hope nobody's ego is so large to think that the only job worth their while is at a high major.

Slight tangent: McDermott is an example of someone who tried to go the path of mid-major => major, but he failed spectacularly at Iowa State. Now that he's back in the MVC, that seems more like his niche.

SilkyJ
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
What evidence is there that Chris (or Wo) will get be able to make a jump to a higher profile program? BCS programs, for the most part, want coaches with experience as a head coach. Thinking Chris and Wo are going to be able to simply walk in to a top 20 job isn't realistic.

Here's one piece of evidence

and, much like Johnny D did, are waiting for the right oppty to open up at a major or high level mid-major.

And someone else mentioned Tommy Amaker. Yes, for the most part, BCS schools want some HC experience, but by definition for the most part means there are exceptions. Being a 10+ year assistant under the tutelage of the GOAT at the preeminent basketball program in America gives you a pretty good opportunity to be one of those exceptions.

Illinois State would be a great opportunity for Chris. Jankovich has a solid roster in place. The MVC has good visibility and there is real opportunity to build a nationally relevant program. Creighton, Wichita State, and SIU before them show that.

Yes, the MVC has some good programs. You mentioned them, but I don't think ISU is one of them. (In fact I'm not embarrassed to say I've never even heard of them.)

Creighton has has been to the tournament 7 times since 2000 and the NIT 4 times
SIU has been to the tournament 6 times since 2000
WSU has been twice since 2006 and to the NIT 5 times since 2000

In stark contrast

ISU has been to the tournament ZERO times since 2000, but went to the NIT 3 times in a row from 08-10.

So throwing out the MVC as a good conference is fine, and they've have some good success recently, but ISU is not one of the teams that has really helped put them on the map. Could they get to prominence like those teams, as you suggest? Perhaps, but if you're very comfortable and love your current job, and there's precedent to land a job at a major conference where you'll (theoretically) have an easier recruiting, having success, etc. why settle?

(For the record, I don't have an opinion here, just pointing out what I've heard in terms to what Collins and Wojo are interested in and the facts around the arguments being thrown around)

Bob Green
04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes, the MVC has some good programs. You mentioned them, but I don't think ISU is one of them. (In fact I'm not embarrassed to say I've never even heard of them.)

Creighton has has been to the tournament 7 times since 2000 and the NIT 4 times
SIU has been to the tournament 6 times since 2000
WSU has been twice since 2006 and to the NIT 5 times since 2000

In stark contrast

ISU has been to the tournament ZERO times since 2000, but went to the NIT 3 times in a row from 08-10.

So throwing out the MVC as a good conference is fine, and they've have some good success recently, but ISU is not one of the teams that has really helped put them on the map.

SilkyJ - the challenge associated with accepting the head coach position at Illinois State is to lift the program to the level of Creighton and SIU. Collins could head there and turn the Redbirds into a perennial NCAAT team. I believe Coach Collins is a good fit for the job due to his background.

SilkyJ
04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
SilkyJ - the challenge associated with accepting the head coach position at Illinois State is to lift the program to the level of Creighton and SIU. Collins could head there and turn the Redbirds into a perennial NCAAT team. I believe Coach Collins is a good fit for the job due to his background.

Bob- I get it, and my above post wasn't completely clear. Collins might well be a great fit. He might be able to lift them to that level. I'm not opining on the matter. I'm intending to point out what I've heard about what Collins' and Wojo's desire in terms of fit for a HC job, and ISU does not seem to fit that bill (major, i.e. BCS conference, or high level mid-major).

Greg_Newton
04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Is there an assistant coach in the country with a better HC profile than Collins?

I'm not saying it would be the worst thing in the world for him, but his stock seems closer to an Amaker/Snyder than a 27 year-old Capel.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
I think this is the perfect job for Collins. Most of the BCS jobs that open up come open for a reason. I would rather Collins' (or Wojo's) first HC job be at a mid-major where ideally someone left some talent behind to pursue a bigger job (I do not know if this is the case at Illinois State), rather than take on a rebuilding job at a BCS school that was probably at the bottom of its conference without a lot of talent.

Doing a bit of research, they finished last season 21-14, losing to Stanford in the second round of the NIT, so this program is not in awful shape. However, it looks like their court is called "Doug Collins Court", which would make the job that much harder for Chris.

Also note that I am fairly certain that though they are not the official assistants, Collins and Wojo are slated to be unofficial members of the Olympic staff this summer, as I believe they were in Beijing. If Collins were to take over another program, he would have to give that up in order to begin building his program. Not sure he wants to do that, or wait a year and hope something similar comes along.

Verga3
04-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Small update from Katz, raising issue of whether Chris would want to coach where his father is a legend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

I'm sure this will be a Chris Collins family decision. Chris is obviously very happy at Duke. His dad would not want to influence Chris' decision, but trust me, he would be proud beyond words if his boy gets his head coaching start at ISU. Nice, but tough decision forthcoming, if he chooses to interview.

Chicago 1995
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's one piece of evidence

And someone else mentioned Tommy Amaker. Yes, for the most part, BCS schools want some HC experience, but by definition for the most part means there are exceptions. Being a 10+ year assistant under the tutelage of the GOAT at the preeminent basketball program in America gives you a pretty good opportunity to be one of those exceptions.

(For the record, I don't have an opinion here, just pointing out what I've heard in terms to what Collins and Wojo are interested in and the facts around the arguments being thrown around)

Being a long-time assistant for K is obviously a selling point. Just like it was for Tommy, Quin and Johnny. While it may not be fair to Chris and Wojo, the failures of Tommy and Quin at the BCS level and Johnny's middling record and longer than expected rebuild at Stanford hurt the candidacy of Chris and Wojo at the caliber of school they seem to be solely interested in. They might want to start their careers at a BCS level or high mid-major school, but that seems increasingly unrealistic. Collins (and Duke, presumably) couldn't have lobbied harder to try to get his name truly in the mix at Illinois. In a coaching search that ended up most charitably with Plan C, and probably something closer to an wholly uninspiring Plan F, Chris was never considered. I don't doubt they want to walk in to a program like Iowa or Oregon or Rutgers. But looking at the landscape of college basketball as a whole, those programs don't seem interested in assistants. Not when there are head coaches with a track record of success as a head coach that they can hire.

Programs of that caliber can hire coaches with big time pedigrees not dissimilar to Chris or Wojo who have also actually proved they can win as a head coach. McCaffery assisted at ND and was very successful at Siena. Rice assisted at Pitt and was successful at Robert Morris. Heck, Illinois hired a guy that was lauded as an assistant for Matta, and honestly, has a middling record as a head coach, highlighted by a two great March runs. When a guy like John Groce gets hired at Illinois, it should be a sign to Chris to readjust his strategy.

What program is going to go after Chris or Wojo that will fit their too narrow view of an appropriate first job? There have been a number of bad Big East jobs -- Seton Hall, Rutgers, Providence. Neither appears to have been a consideration. Va Tech just hired James Johnson, Seth's former assistant to take over. None of the recent ACC openings appeared to show interest. Big XII or Pac 12? Seems to be a dicey geographic fit, and again, it's not like either of them has been mentioned for any of these openings.

Not that it matters.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18906592/duke-assistant-chris-collins-no-slam-dunk-at-illinois-state

That reads to me as Chris's polite way of saying, no thanks. I get there's some issue with his dad's legacy, but ISU is about as solid a fit for Chris as a good mid-major opening as you'll get. ISU doesn't have recent basketball tradition, but the MVC has plenty, and it's proven to be a place where a nationally relevant program can be built -- Creighton and Wichita are now, SIU had its turn recently, Bradley and Missouri State have also been there in the last 15 years -- and where a coach can springboard to a BCS level job. In my opinion, as little as that means, it's a great chance for Chris, and if he's holding out on it for a bigger, higher profile opening, I think he'll regret waiting for that ship that doesn't ever seem to be coming in.

At least he's getting mentioned for job. Wojo? The last and only job I head that was interested in him was Dayton, who instead hired Archie Miller. Wo didn't reciprocate the interest, apparently. If that's not a big enough mid major job, I don't think such a job exists.

Jderf
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
At least he's getting mentioned for job. Wojo? The last and only job I head that was interested in him was Dayton, who instead hired Archie Miller. Wo didn't reciprocate the interest, apparently. If that's not a big enough mid major job, I don't think such a job exists.

The thing you seem to be overlooking, however, is that Chris and Wojo are extremely happy with their current situations at Duke. It is often publicized that the Duke coaching family is very close, and very well taken-care-of. They simply don't want to leave, UNLESS a golden opportunity arises. They are perfectly aware of the fact that golden opportunities are, well... golden. That is to say, they're pretty rare. But because of the fact that, at the moment, they like where they are in their lives, the two are more than comfortable biding their time until the right situation comes along.

This all could change in the coming years (with K leaving and growing ambitions), but for the time being, I'd be surprised if either one of them moves to a position that is anything but perfect.

Chicago 1995
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
The thing you seem to be overlooking, however, is that Chris and Wojo are extremely happy with their current situations at Duke. It is often publicized that the Duke coaching family is very close, and very well taken-care-of. They simply don't want to leave, UNLESS a golden opportunity arises. They are perfectly aware of the fact that golden opportunities are, well... golden. That is to say, they're pretty rare. But because of the fact that, at the moment, they like where they are in their lives, the two are more than comfortable biding their time until the right situation comes along.

This all could change in the coming years (with K leaving and growing ambitions), but for the time being, I'd be surprised if either one of them moves to a position that is anything but perfect.

I understand that they've got about the best gigs as assistants in all of college basketball. That being said, I also assume that one, or both, would like to be considered to be Ks replacement whenever that day comes. I would hope that both would want to actually be head coaches, and I would hope that Duke wouldn't consider guys who don't have head coaching experience. Hence, I'd think, as perfect as Duke may be, both gets that they need to cut the cord and make out on their own.

I also don't think, at this point, either is going to get offered a position that's "perfect" as they seem to define it and that for Chris, Illinois State is probably as close as he's going to see.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Collins says "it is not the right fit." At least he looked into it.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/11041085/

SilkyJ
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
The thing you seem to be overlooking, however, is that Chris and Wojo are extremely happy with their current situations at Duke. It is often publicized that the Duke coaching family is very close, and very well taken-care-of. They simply don't want to leave, UNLESS a golden opportunity arises.

Yes. I would edit ever so slightly to make the bolded part say "UNTIL a golden oppty arises." "Unless" seems to imply they'd be comfortable staying as assistants forever if an oppty never arose...but these guys want to be head coaches and they wont be fine sitting on the bench forever. They are waiting for the right oppty, and it will come, eventually.

-jk
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I've suggested this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are more flexible in what job they go for after the Olympics.

The Olympics offer such an amazing experience - both in developing personal skills and in professional networking. Hard to skip when you can be in the thick of it.

-jk

ThePublisher
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking this would be a 'step down' or however it was described for Collins. He is currently the associate head coach at one of the greatest basketball programs. Chris is right hand man to the greatest coach of all time and is right in line to take over when K retires.
We will see, but I just don't see it...

Newton_14
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes. I would edit ever so slightly to make the bolded part say "UNTIL a golden oppty arises." "Unless" seems to imply they'd be comfortable staying as assistants forever if an oppty never arose...but these guys want to be head coaches and they wont be fine sitting on the bench forever. They are waiting for the right oppty, and it will come, eventually.

Are we sure of that though? Some guys are content being lifetime assistants. I do think Collins wants to be a HC one day, but not sure if Wojo wants that or not. Nothing wrong with being a career assistant if you love your job and your pay. I think it is going to take a very perfect situation for either to leave until the day K retires. Whether either wants the Duke job one day is another matter altogether.

With Collins removing his name from this job, the staff will stay intact for at least one more season.

CameronBornAndBred
05-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Chris is right hand man to the greatest coach of all time and is right in line to take over when K retires.

With each passing season, "when K retires" draws nearer. Now it still may 10 years or more away, but I'm like many other posters that would like to see whomever takes the reigns also have some head coaching experienc himself. And by that I also mean more than one year; I'd like to see what his successor does with his own recruiting class like we've seen Amaker, Brey, Capel and Quinn Snyder do. (This isn't an advocation for any of those, they are just examples.) So time is potentially running short for either Collins or Wojo to be able to do that. Hopefully neither picks some school that never plays in the tourney or that isn't a basketball powerhouse. Like Army.

Chicago 1995
05-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't think a head coaching job in the MVC is a step down from being an assistant at Duke. Being in charge of your own program is a massive jump in responsibility and prestige.

I too think that Chris should have HC experience is he wants to be considered as Ks replacement. Duke's too big a job to hand it over to someone who's never run a program on their own before. Part of the reason I think this was such a great opportunity is that Chris would be well positioned to succeed quickly at ISU, making his candidacy to replace K very strong.

Right now, we don't have a candidate from the K coaching tree, in my opinion, who has shown to be a viable replacement when retirement comes. I'd like that to change, since I think it highly unlikely we hire outside the K family tree, and this was a great chance for Chirs to make it change.

Doesn't matter. He's not interested, whatever the reason.

Reilly
05-01-2012, 08:15 AM
... we don't have a candidate from the K coaching tree, in my opinion, who has shown to be a viable replacement when retirement comes. ....

In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.

pfrduke
05-01-2012, 09:18 AM
In my opinion, we do have a viable replacement from the K coaching tree when retirement comes: Jay Bilas. Former Duke player, multiple Duke degrees, highly praised (by K) serious b'ball mind, tremendous exposure to other ideas and systems via media work, cachet of espn job, could handle the media, could be a star-power "face" of the program .... The infrastructure of Duke basketball is there (facilities, endowed scholarships, history, media exposure) ... there is no program building required ... what's required is the star wattage/serious basketball mind/honesty to reel in the talent, mold it, and keep doing things the right way. I think Bilas provides that.

Of course, we have no idea if he can coach. That's still, technically, part of the job requirements.

Jderf
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Seems fair. I'd approve that edit.

Are we sure of that though? Some guys are content being lifetime assistants. I do think Collins wants to be a HC one day, but not sure if Wojo wants that or not. Nothing wrong with being a career assistant if you love your job and your pay. I think it is going to take a very perfect situation for either to leave until the day K retires. Whether either wants the Duke job one day is another matter altogether.

Hmm. Either way, it is reassuring to think that both Collins and Wojo are in positions of strength, from which they can carefully consider their next step. There is nothing pushing them out the door, so whatever their ambitions, they can be sure that when they do finally get around to making their choices, they will be doing it for all the right reasons.

This is an idea that we haven't seen floated around much, but I'm not sure if I would buy into it. Jay may have been an assistant at Duke for a few years -- and he sure picked some good years to be around for -- but I don't think that he has the coaching pedigree our program would be looking for. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good coach, but if he was ultimately selected over the more proven members on the family tree, it could be viewed as a gimmick hire.

Now if we brought Jay back as an assistant (post-K), with Dawkins or Amaker or somebody else at the helm... could be interesting.

Reilly
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Of course, we have no idea if he can coach. That's still, technically, part of the job requirements.

Serious question: what do you mean by "coach." Seems the skill set and job requirements to lead the Duke program are varied: be honest, recruit elite talent, motivate, implement systems, diagram plays, teach....

Bilas was a coach under Coach K for three years. I imagine K has an idea if he can coach. That's what planted this seed in my mind -- reading a quote by K from probably a decade or so ago, speaking glowingly about Bilas' coaching and what might have happened if he had stayed with coaching. Per wikipedia, Bilas speaks at camps and clinics -- don't know the substance of those presentations.

Reilly
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
... I don't think that he has the coaching pedigree our program would be looking for. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good coach, but if he was ultimately selected over the more proven members on the family tree, it could be viewed as a gimmick hire. ....

I believe you look for qualities you want in a head coach -- identify what you believe it will take to be successful, and find someone with those qualities. A coaching pedigree can be a proxy for those qualities: a whole laundry list of boxes need to be checked to get a major program to win at a certain level, and if someone has gotten a program to win at that level, then we can conclude they possess the qualities we want. Having that coaching pedigree, of course, is not the only way to demonstrate one has the needed qualities.

In 2003, I advocated Jim Harbaugh be looked at for Duke's football coaching opening. I thought he had the qualities that Duke wanted. At the time, he was the Raiders QB coach (only his 2d year coaching full-time; he had helped his dad part-time before that). Duke didn't hire him or even consider him that I know of. The University of San Diego (I-AA school) hired him, and he did very well there (and since w/ Stanford and 49ers).

Jderf
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I believe you look for qualities you want in a head coach -- identify what you believe it will take to be successful, and find someone with those qualities. A coaching pedigree can be a proxy for those qualities: a whole laundry list of boxes need to be checked to get a major program to win at a certain level, and if someone has gotten a program to win at that level, then we can conclude they possess the qualities we want. Having that coaching pedigree, of course, is not the only way to demonstrate one has the needed qualities.

I'm with you to an extent, but ultimately I can't agree. You're certainly right that Jay has all the qualities you might want in a head coach. He has a spotless record, character-wise. He is well spoken. He is clearly smart and knows basketball in and out. But there is a lot more to being a head coach than simple coaching: in a certain sense, he would also be running an organization. And no matter how many of the coaching qualities a man may possess, if you don't have any experience in running such an organization, you aren't going to magically be good at it.

It is so much more than just X's and O's + recruiting. It's picking your staff. It's managing various institutional interests (ADs, commissioners, boosters, etc.). It's about having an army of reliable contacts, anywhere and everywhere. There is probably so much more to it that I (an outsider) could not even begin to paint a realistic picture of the job. As much as I love Bilas, I just can't imagine that 3 years as an assistant and his time at ESPN could fully prepare him for the logistical and organizational aspects of being a head coach.

K runs a very tight ship. Whoever follows him will need to have a proven ability to do the same.

shf9
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think a head coaching job in the MVC is a step down from being an assistant at Duke. Being in charge of your own program is a massive jump in responsibility and prestige.

Doesn't matter. He's not interested, whatever the reason.

it shouldn't be dismissed that the ISU job likely pays a small fraction of what he makes now at Duke.

CDu
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm with you to an extent, but ultimately I can't agree. You're certainly right that Jay has all the qualities you might want in a head coach. He has a spotless record, character-wise. He is well spoken. He is clearly smart and knows basketball in and out. But there is a lot more to being a head coach than simple coaching: in a certain sense, he would also be running an organization. And no matter how many of the coaching qualities a man may possess, if you don't have any experience in running such an organization, you aren't going to magically be good at it.

It is so much more than just X's and O's + recruiting. It's picking your staff. It's managing various institutional interests (ADs, commissioners, boosters, etc.). It's about having an army of reliable contacts, anywhere and everywhere. There is probably so much more to it that I (an outsider) could not even begin to paint a realistic picture of the job. As much as I love Bilas, I just can't imagine that 3 years as an assistant and his time at ESPN could fully prepare him for the logistical and organizational aspects of being a head coach.

K runs a very tight ship. Whoever follows him will need to have a proven ability to do the same.

Yup. In theory, Bilas has all the tools to be a good head coach. But that's all in theory. To be the head coach at Duke, you need some track record. We got very lucky when Coach K worked out despite a lack of proven pedigree. But that is not a model that lends itself to continued success. It makes more sense to hire someone with a proven ability to coach, not a theoretical ability to coach.

I'd also add that I wonder if Bilas has any interest in coaching. He could have had any number of opportunities at this point, but seems very comfortable in the analyst's chair. He's probably well-compensated and has a fairly cushy gig at ESPN. No reason to give that up for the tougher coaching lifestyle and pressure unless you really want it.

Raleighfan
05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Don't forget that Bilas also has another career: attorney. I don't know how much time he spends there since he's "of counsel", but he's still listed as an attorney with Moore & Van Allen in Charlotte.

tommy
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM

And, at 6'8", he could be his own big-man coach. :D

Indoor66
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
And, at 6'8", he could be his own big-man coach. :D

Nah, he's way too tall.