PDA

View Full Version : Kelly & Plumlee Named Captains for 2012-13 Season

Bluedog
04-26-2012, 03:26 PM
DURHAM, N.C. - Rising seniors Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday. Kelly was a captain a year ago, while Plumlee is a first-time team captain
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205420087&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! This past year the captains were Miles, Kelly, and Curry (Curry was named about a month later than the other two).

CDu
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205420087&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! Seth was a co-captain this past year, wasn't he?

Congrats to those two. It is always interesting to see which seniors are named captains.

CameronBornAndBred
04-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Congrats guys! Hope their leadership takes this team to good places! This past year the captains were Miles, Kelly, and Curry (Curry was named about a month later than the other two).
It's interesting that unlike Ryan, Seth was not named this go round. (But maybe he'll get named again in a month!)

Bob Green
04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I would have bet money (and lost) on Tyler Thornton being named Team Captain.

Acymetric
04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I feel like Mason was a near-lock for captain (guy who passes up the draft to play his senior year? Captain). Kelly being a captain could be some sign of a step forward for him, would love to see him really play on fire this coming year. Has a lot of great tools.

ACCBBallFan
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM

It's interesting that unlike Ryan, Seth was not named this go round. (But maybe he'll get named again in a month!)

Bob, you haven't lost yet. My guess is the third tri-captain will be named based on which one of these two earns it.

Mal
04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Bob, you haven't lost yet. My guess is the third tri-captain will be named based on which one of these two earns it.

Sure, sure, but the more important question for the moment is: is this the tallest set of co-captains in Duke basketball history? ;)

Newton_14
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
You and me both Bob. I am a bit surprised.

I am not so sure this will happen this year. K may be sending a message. Perhaps a statement the team will be led by the big men, and the offense will be big man driven.

Congrats to Mason and Ryan. It's their time to lead.

OldPhiKap
04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Interesting with Seth -- not sure I recall a junior captain that was not a senior captain.

May be motivation, who knows. Seth is one of my favorites on this team and a big part of how far we go.

Chris Randolph
04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Interesting with Seth -- not sure I recall a junior captain that was not a senior captain.

May be motivation, who knows. Seth is one of my favorites on this team and a big part of how far we go.

Agree with you on all points here.... I think the coaching staff was disappointed with the lack of leadership from certain guys during last season. Hopefully that is something that will be a strength this upcoming season. Being named a captain is a great thing but you can still be a good leader for the team without the 'C' on your chest. With the number of years of experience on this roster, I'd like to think we have some guys who have figured a few things out that are not so much about skill. It will be interesting to see

NovaScotian
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Not quite what you're looking for, but Greg Paulus was a captain as a Sophomore and not as a Junior.

MCFinARL
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Not quite what you're looking for, but Greg Paulus was a captain as a Sophomore and not as a Junior.

True--though he was a captain again (if a tri-captain) as a senior.

MCFinARL
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Sure, sure, but the more important question for the moment is: is this the tallest set of co-captains in Duke basketball history? ;)

Well, I guess that depends on whether Mason is taller than Miles, since the original co-captains last season (before Seth was added) were Miles and Ryan. both Mason and Miles are listed at 6'10"; I don't get to see them in person and don't know for sure whether one is taller.

OldPhiKap
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, I guess that depends on whether Mason is taller than Miles, since the original co-captains last season (before Seth was added) were Miles and Ryan. both Mason and Miles are listed at 6'10"; I don't get to see them in person and don't know for sure whether one is taller.

I have it on good, inside authority that Mase is at least half a cinder block taller than Miles. I don't know what that means for the basketball team, but it augers well for the football team.

UrinalCake
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Wow, I can't recall the last time we didn't have a guard as one of our captains. Also we usually have a junior as co-captain, which I assume is done to prepare for the following year.

SilkyJ
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I am not so sure this will happen this year. K may be sending a message. Perhaps a statement the team will be led by the big men, and the offense will be big man driven.

Congrats to Mason and Ryan. It's their time to lead.

Naming captains this early?? Definitely seems to be some sort of message. My guess is that it has more to do with leadership than where the offense will be driven...but I do think we need to feed the post A LOT next year.

TheDukeCreed
04-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Front page error. I almost thought for a minute that Miles was really back. "This is no surprise, but seniors Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly have been named co-captains for next season." :)

El_Diablo
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Wow, I can't recall the last time we didn't have a guard as one of our captains.

Um, that would be six months ago. :)

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205275124

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205324026

azzefkram
04-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Congrats to Mason and Ryan.

-jk
04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Front page error. I almost thought for a minute that Miles was really back. "This is no surprise, but seniors Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly have been named co-captains for next season." :)

I think that's a direct consequence of Julian's posting at 0-dark-hundred.

-jk

DukieInBrasil
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM

I'm actually not all that surprised, since K was talking up how Seth was one of the best PG in the country pre-season last year and then had to try to find someone else to be the PG during the year as Seth proved to be an ineffective PG. Some part of that has to be leadership, and if Seth proved to K that he didn't have the leadership qualities K is looking for last year, why would he be named a captain for this year's team?
I really want to see Seth find his comfort zone and be a consistent and effective player, but apparently K sees that leadership is not something he has not been consistent or effective at. Perhaps this is a motivational ploy by K to try to provoke Seth into being more assertive and more of a leader, seeing as how K's tactic of praise last year didn't work.