PDA

View Full Version : Leroy Walker Dies

hq2
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
A great loss for the Durham area. Remember when he brought in the U.S. Pan-Africa games in '72; great moment
for track and Wallace Wade. A great track coach who will be missed by a lot of people.

Son of Jarhead
04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
... he will be missed by Durham, NCCU and by the Olympic Movement.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4667186/

WRAL will talk to Dr. Walker's long-time friend, Duke's Coach Al Buehler, during the sports segment of their 6pm newscast tonight.

Indoor66
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Leroy Walker was one of the finest men I ever knew. He had a dignity and heart that drew in all around him. He was soft spoken yet powerfully strong. The world was a better place for him having been in it.

Rest in Peace. You earned it, my friend.

Verga3
04-24-2012, 08:22 PM
A great loss for the Durham area. Remember when he brought in the U.S. Pan-Africa games in '72; great moment
for track and Wallace Wade. A great track coach who will be missed by a lot of people.

Thanks for the remembrance from 1972. As high school track athlete, I was in attendance at the Pan-Africa games. Unforgettable...Kip Keino, Miruts Yifter and the incredible Kenyan distance corp was there and performed incredibly. Steve Prefontaine, Pat Matzdorf, et al carried the U.S. banner. My high school track coach knew Al Beuhler and Leroy Walker and we were able to meet them on the Wallace Wade track in 1972. Will never forget it. We all realized, even then as 16-18 year-olds, the stature of Dr. Walker and his place in U.S. Track & Field. What a life and legacy. What a role model. One of our own.

Son of Jarhead
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
FYI: Services for Dr. Walker will be Tuesday, May 1st, 11:00am at Duke Chapel.