PDA

View Full Version : Seth Greenberg: Ahhhh... see ya!

socaldukie
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
4:00 today. Sources on twitter claim Hokies press conference is about a change in head men's basketball program.

-jk
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Hard to say what's happening:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-04-23/seth-greenberg-fired-virginia-tech

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/23/seth-greenberg-im-still-employed-virginia-tech-presser-not-for-him/

-jk

muzikfrk75
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/23/seth-greenberg-im-still-employed-virginia-tech-presser-not-for-him/

Seth Greenberg: “I’m still employed,” Virginia Tech presser not for him

Rich
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Maybe Tony Parker is planning to Skype them! :eek:

superdave
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
This is strange, mostly because the season for coaching changes was March/April. I assume if this is a coaching change, that VT will have a limited pool of candidates because the coaching carousel has slowed down.

If Greenberg is not going anywhere, then the AD is sure letting his head coach twist in the wind this afternoon.

superdave
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Clint Jackson ‏ @clintjackson1

If Seth Greenberg gets fired, Montrezl Harrell will be the hottest name in the recruiting world instantly.

3:01 PM - 23 Apr 12 via web · Details

socaldukie
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
looked like a rumor and according to Seth not going to happen. Then all of a sudden Hokie Journal tweets 2 sources confirm the firing. Color me confused...:confused:

El_Diablo
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Seth Greenberg: “I’m still employed,” Virginia Tech presser not for him

That story has subsequently been updated, indicating that sources are confirming Greenberg has been fired.

Duvall
looked like a rumor and according to Seth not going to happen. Then all of a sudden Hokie Journal tweets 2 sources confirm the firing. Color me confused...:confused:

Sounds like the sources may have gotten the news before Seth got called into Weaver's office for a chat.

moonpie23
if he gets fired, can he PLEASE replace digger on TV?

roywhite
04-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Good thought, though I'm convinced Digger has incriminating pictures of someone...it's hard to understand how he keeps his job otherwise. :)

gumbomoop
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Amen. Have no idea who are the 73 best candidates to replace Digger, but Seth's good enough.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Rich
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
it's hard to understand how he keeps his job otherwise.

He brings in a lot of revenue to ESPN from the makers of highlighters.

superdave
04-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Clint Jackson ‏ @clintjackson1

If Seth Greenberg gets fired, Montrezl Harrell will be the hottest name in the recruiting world instantly.

3:01 PM - 23 Apr 12 via web · Details

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/108136/montrezl-harrell

Harrell had UVA, ECU, SC on his list. I guess he gets released from his scholarship, or out of his LOI.

Again, why would any kid ever sign an LOI?

tbyers11
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
4:00 today. Sources on twitter claim Hokies press conference is about a change in head men's basketball program.

Based on the timing I think that Tony Parker is going to surprise us all and announce that he is going to be the new head coach at Virginia Tech next season

Bob Green
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I always hate to see someone lose their job so I'll offer best wishes to Coach Greenberg and his family in their future endeavors.

roywhite
04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Sounds like the sources may have gotten the news before Seth got called into Weaver's office for a chat.

Or Seth didn't have the latest cell phone technology?

CameronBornAndBred
04-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I always hate to see someone lose their job so I'll offer best wishes to Coach Greenberg and his family in their future endeavors.

It's even worse when the guy firing you said just a month ago that you are doing a fine job and you've got his support 100%.

OldPhiKap
04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
It's even worse when the guy firing you said just a month ago that you are doing a fine job and you've got his support 100%.

Kiss. Of. Death.

An AD praising you is like the Godfather giving you a peck on the cheek. Tonight, you swim with the fishes.

BD80
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Kiss. Of. Death.

An AD praising you is like the Godfather giving you a peck on the cheek. Tonight, you swim with the fishes.

Swimming with fishes is fun. Slepping with fishes, not so much.

burnspbesq
04-23-2012, 04:13 PM
The deed, she is done. So long, Seth.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7846586/virginia-tech-hokies-fire-seth-greenberg-men-basketball-coach

Matches
04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Bizarre. Terrible timing - if they wanted him gone they should've done it right after the season ended. Also bad form not telling him until this afternoon, *after* the press conference had been scheduled. Good luck finding a candidate to step into THAT mess.

fan345678
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Bizarre. Terrible timing - if they wanted him gone they should've done it right after the season ended. Also bad form not telling him until this afternoon, *after* the press conference had been scheduled. Good luck finding a candidate to step into THAT mess.

Since the season ended, VT has had three assistant coaching vacancies open up. I think they figured that this was the right time to make the change at the top. Additionally, Weaver (AD) doesn't have much time left (Parkinson's) and probably wants to leave a legacy with a basketball hire (though most VT fans would prefer that he never touch anything having to do with basketball again).

juise
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Slepping with fishes

Is that like schlepping?

superdave
04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Since the season ended, VT has had three assistant coaching vacancies open up. I think they figured that this was the right time to make the change at the top

Makes sense. Let a new guy come in and bring his own staff. Next season is a total loss though.

BD80
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Is that like schlepping?

No,no,no. Nothing like schlepping - unless your talking about lox and a bagel with a schmear of cream cheese.

Slepping is more like a Shemp quiver before the actual SLEEPING with the fishes.

Dev11
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I know it's K, Hamilton, Williams, then who's next now?

I, too, wouldn't mind Seth on College GameDay. Gotta get some dome-shiner for the bright lights.

loran16
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Why did this happen?

You can make a case for firing Seth, I guess, if VaTech has high aspirations. But why would you do it now?

pfrduke
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM

I, too, wouldn't mind Seth on College GameDay. Gotta get some dome-shiner for the bright lights.

The killer B's (all of whom are entering their third year as coaches in the league) are next.

Brownell
Bennett
Bzdelik

Then it's the 5 rising sophs...

Donogue
Gregory
Turgeon
Larranaga
Gottfried

hq2
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Well, gee, now that Seth's gone, who's going to get the title of ugliest coach in the conference?

msdukie
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
The killer B's (all of whom are entering their third year as coaches in the league) are next.

Brownell
Bennett
Bzdelik

Then it's the 5 rising sophs...

Donogue
Gregory
Turgeon
Larranaga
Gottfried

Bennett will be entering year 4. Donahue will be entering year 3.

pfrduke
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Bennett will be entering year 4. Donahue will be entering year 3.

That's what happens when you don't look things up to confirm - thanks.

loran16
04-23-2012, 04:57 PM
You now have 4 coaching vacancies (1 HC, 3 assistants) on your team!

I suspect there will be a lot of transfers.

MChambers
04-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Why did this happen?

You can make a case for firing Seth, I guess, if VaTech has high aspirations. But why would you do it now?

I had the same reaction, but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that all three assistant coaches had left since the end of the season. That may have been the final straw.

Duvall
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Well, gee, now that Seth's gone, who's going to get the title of ugliest coach in the conference?

Tony Bennett, obviously.

arnie
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I had the same reaction, but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that all three assistant coaches had left since the end of the season. That may have been the final straw.

Glad to see him gone - complained about tourney picks and officiating constantly. Recall he claimed to be afraid as he walked out of Cameron when he was tossed. VPI can do better!

SupaDave
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm hearing that Virginia Tech wants Shaka badly. Stay tuned...

FerryFor50
04-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Ha.

Every school has.

DU82
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Sylvia Hatchell retired that title a long time ago.

CBDUKE
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Shaka's AD is leaving for Minnesota, so keep an eye out. He might be willing to leave now.

mgtr
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM

I would think that Smart would be smart, and demand complete control of the program and assistants, a long contract, and big, big dollars. I don't know that VPI has that kind of money for basketball, but they do need some good press. This could do it.

fan345678
04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Shaka's AD is leaving for Minnesota, so keep an eye out. He might be willing to leave now.

Shaka rumors are hot among VT folks right now, with many honestly wondering whether or not that's at best a lateral move for him.

Class of '94
04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Shaka rumors are hot among VT folks right now, with many honestly wondering whether or not that's at best a lateral move for him.

I'm wondering if this is the reason why Weaver let Seth go now. Maybe, he's been working behind the scenes on Shaka to the point where it looks favorable for V-Tech. At the very least, I would have to think Jim Weaver has a plan in motion because a "sane" person wouldn't fire Seth and risk losing players without having a plan already in place for his next successor.

loran16
04-23-2012, 05:43 PM

You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.

Chris Randolph
04-23-2012, 05:51 PM
You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.

I agree with this statement. VCU is more of a "national title contender" than Va Tech is right now anyway. No chance Smart goes to VT. It would take him at least 3-4 years to get them where he has VCU right now.

Glad to see Greenberg go. I got so sick and tired of ESPN doing a semi-split screen during Duke games with a camera on just him! Who cares, what has that guy done!

ACCBBallFan
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM

Believe it or not Tony Bennett who is starting his 4th year in ACC this year.

Figured Seth Greenberg was on the hot seat but not until after this season.

He did well given VA Tech history but time for a new face, since he never got them over the finish line.

Just handled very poorly announcing the press conference before they had the courtesy to tell Seth after 9 years there.

Real reason was with Seth gone, sum of coach K's years coaching in ACC again will exceed the ACC tenure of the other 11 combined.

weezie
04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Sylvia Hatchell retired that title a long time ago.

:D:D:D That. Is. Hilarious.
Seriously enjoying "wine time" tonight after that post.
Hmmmm, the male basketball coaches of the ACC....a calendar in the works?

Chicago 1995
04-23-2012, 07:11 PM

It seems highly unlikely to me that VaTech can match the $$ Illinois offered and was turned down. And given that VaTech is a lesser job than Illinois, I'd expect they'd need to outbid Illinois to get Smart to listen. No chance.

I get Teague leaving is a reason that might get Shaka to move on, but it makes no sense he'd bolt now. VCU is going to be really good next year. His star won't dim in 12 months. Va Tech isn't an opening you jump at if you are already a coach of a top 25 team.

Mike Corey
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
I respect Bob Greene for not wishing ill upon the recently fired Seth Greenberg.

I for one am grateful that Greenberg is no longer representing an ACC program or university.

The timing is peculiar indeed. I'm sure Duke will miss beating the Hokies, too. But now playing them won't be tantamount to a football game.

If we could handpick a new coach for the Hokies, it would probably be someone they couldn't afford or convince to come to Blacksburg, where bball is second fiddle on campus, and last chair in the league. Well, almost.

Here's hoping VT can make a hire worthy of the university and the conference. Time for ACC basketball to up the ante.

muzikfrk75
04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I remember watching Duke beat VT in the ACCT this year and thinking that it might be Greenberg's last game at VT.

BlueDevilBrowns
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Believe it or not Tony Bennett who is starting his 4th year in ACC this year.

Figured Seth Greenberg was on the hot seat but not until after this season.

He did well given VA Tech history but time for a new face, since he never got them over the finish line.

Just handled very poorly announcing the press conference before they had the courtesy to tell Seth after 9 years there.

Real reason was with Seth gone, sum of coach K's years coaching in ACC again will exceed the ACC tenure of the other 11 combined.

Interesting, too, that those are 4 of the top 5 programs in the conference, as well. I can't recall a time when the coaches in our conference were collectively so weak after K and Roy. Until the coaching in the ACC improves, the quality of basketball will continue to struggle too.

Newton_14
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
I respect Bob Greene for not wishing ill upon the recently fired Seth Greenberg.

I for one am grateful that Greenberg is no longer representing an ACC program or university.

The timing is peculiar indeed. I'm sure Duke will miss beating the Hokies, too. But now playing them won't be tantamount to a football game.

If we could handpick a new coach for the Hokies, it would probably be someone they couldn't afford or convince to come to Blacksburg, where bball is second fiddle on campus, and last chair in the league. Well, almost.

Here's hoping VT can make a hire worthy of the university and the conference. Time for ACC basketball to up the ante.

I hear you on the bolded part, but on the other side of the coin, Greenberg was a "personality", and that part will be missed. He maybe came along in the wrong era, as he would have been a great fit in the ACC of the 70's with Lefty, Sloan, Dean, Terry Holland, etc. He has been on local radio here numerous times over the years and is a great interview.

When I first saw Seth that night in Cameron where he got tossed, I thought "man this guy is in way over his head, he belongs at a Middle-Elementary school", but he actually is not a terrible coach. His biggest issue (aside apparently from running off assistants) was the ability to win against Top 5 Duke and UNC teams in the very same season as losing to multiple teams not in the Top 100.

The whining at the refs became amusing to me at some point, but I do agree on the rough play. Our guys endured lots of bumps, bruises, elbows, and knees along the way. No excuse for that at all.

roywhite
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Interesting, too, that those are 4 of the top 5 programs in the conference, as well. I can't recall a time when the coaches in our conference were collectively so weak after K and Roy. Until the coaching in the ACC improves, the quality of basketball will continue to struggle too.

Well, maybe; another perspective is that needed changes have been made and that a new batch of talented coaches is on the rise.

Leonard Hamilton at FSU has proven himself; NC State and Virginia are on the rise; Maryland, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami show signs of improvement with coaches who have had success elsewhere.
Boston College, Wake, and now Virginia Tech are question marks. Then add national powers Syracuse and Pitt.

I'd say the ACC has been down, but is on the way up again.

Bob Green
04-23-2012, 08:33 PM

If Shaka Smart leaves VCU for VT, he had better be prepared to start being referred to as Shaka Dumb.

Newton_14
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Well, maybe; another perspective is that needed changes have been made and that a new batch of talented coaches is on the rise.

Leonard Hamilton at FSU has proven himself; NC State and Virginia are on the rise; Maryland, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami show signs of improvement with coaches who have had success elsewhere.
Boston College, Wake, and now Virginia Tech are question marks. Then add national powers Syracuse and Pitt.

Definitely on the way back up with the core of coaches you mentioned. Other than Wake, and dependent on what VaTech does, the ACC is in much better shape now than just 2 years ago, coaching wise.

OldPhiKap
04-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Agreed 100%. I think that top to bottom, this is the best the conference has been since the drop-off after the '80's.

Reilly
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
If Shaka Smart leaves VCU for VT, he had better be prepared to start being referred to as Shaka Dumb.

I disagree with this, Bob. It's an ACC job. There's talent there. Didn't they just build a practice facility? The school is sports-obsessed and would embrace a winner big-time, although football will always be king. I liken the opportunity to Florida. Florida hoops had one final AP Top 25 poll showing in its history before Billy Donovan; that's what VT has right now, as well. Though VCU and GMU and ODU and Richmond have had nice runs and NCAA success, it's still a UVa and VT state ... a splashy hire like Shaka and the enthusiasm that would generate, and then keeping some of the Tidewater talent in-state (like the football team does) now that VT is ACC (the area that has produced Iverson, JR Reid, Alonzo) ... or the other talent that has crossed the border (Grant Hill, JJ Redick, Silent G, Joey Beard! just to Duke) .... even the hoops-rich DC market is saturated with VT coverage, even though Blacksburg is 5 hours away, because of the alumni base in NoVa and the football success ....

wgl1228
04-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I would have fired him after the FSU game. That was a total debacle and an embarassment.

UrinalCake
04-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Ever since Greenberg mocked Greg Paulus for getting "tea bagged" in a post-game press conference (yes, he actually used that phrase) I lost all respect for him and have wished nothing but misfortune on him. Their program has a culture of thuggery and punkishness. Forget the fans, the players themselves carry this attitude and it starts at the top.

This is awesome.

Olympic Fan
04-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Good riddance ... I never knew a coach who was so arrogant with so little to be arrogant about.

I've always said, he would ahve been fired a long time ago at a school that gave a darn about basketball (1 NCAA appearance ion eight years?)

That said, it is a tough job and I'd be very surprised if Shaka Smart -- who not only turned down Illinois (far more money), but also NC State ( a MUCH easier place to win).

Johnny Chill
04-24-2012, 01:37 AM
If he decides to leave V.Tech, would Duke make a move for Montrezl Harrell?

Reilly
04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Good riddance ... I never knew a coach who was so arrogant with so little to be arrogant about.

I've always said, he would ahve been fired a long time ago at a school that gave a darn about basketball (1 NCAA appearance ion eight years?)

That said, it is a tough job and I'd be very surprised if Shaka Smart -- who not only turned down Illinois (far more money), but also NC State ( a MUCH easier place to win).

Greenberg was off-putting. (As was his brother, fired at Radford for thinking he was above the rules).

NCSU is a *much* easier place to win than VT? or Illinois? or both? NCSU has a storied past, fine arena, supportive alums ... yet I would think that NCState being the little brother to Duke and Carolina the last 25 years would make State, in some respects, a pretty tough place to win. VT has no history outside Allen Bristow and Dell Curry, but is a big school like State, in the ACC like State, and doesn't have Duke and Carolina right down the road (and particularly doesn't have a Carolina dominating in-state recruiting).

Reilly
04-24-2012, 07:55 AM
A VT friend said he likes dreaming big, but realistically would settle for being like NCState or UVa and making the NCAA tourney pushing 50% of the time.

The NCAA expanded to 64 teams in 1985. In those 28 years ...

VT made the tourney 4 times.
State made the tourney 12 times.
UVa made the tourney 12 times.

In the past 28 years, VT was ranked at some point during the season 5 times (UVa 13 times; State 12 times).

In the past 28 years, those three schools have 1 conference tournament title (State - 1987).

In the past 28 years, those schools have 4 regular season conference crowns (VT-1; ST-1; VA-2).

roywhite
04-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Don't have exact figures, but based on what I've read, Greenberg was earning less than average for an ACC coach, and considerably less than Frank Beamer.

Given the importance of football at VaTech and the lack of a strong basketball tradition, will the Hokies spend big for a new coach?

Matches
04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
I think Shaka Smart would have to be "certifiably insane" to leave VCU for VT. At best that's a lateral move. I know VT is in the ACC, but that does not have the cache it once did.

I really doubt VT is going to get a "name" guy at this late date. It's a good job but not a great one, and really the time for luring away the top guys has passed. IMO they'd be well-served to look for an up-and-comer, maybe an assistant at a top program who is ready for the big chair.

Wonder if @headhokie has changed his Twitter handle yet.....

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
When Smart turned down Illinois I remember him saying he was given advice that (paraphrased) "he shouldn't look to run away from happiness." He referenced the fact that he was just starting a new family and was happy where he was, that there was no reason for him to leave.

Maybe the proximity of Blacksburg and the VCU AD leaving provides an opportunity that Shaka would at least be interested in exploring?

But, like others have said, this would not be a traditional career path, and if he went to VT you would think it would be a lateral move. I can't imagine him going through with it, but stranger things have happened.

dyedwab
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
...I can't imagine that the way the firing went down will help VTech in hiring someone like Shaka Smart, someone with established credentials.

I mean, look at the position VTech has put their new hire in. He has to hire an entirely new staff, re-recruit his own players, and basically has no time in the spring signing period to go out and find new recruits. Plus, the previous head coach essentially didn't hear about his firing until have the world already new from internet sources.

It strikes me that this becomes a job where an ambitious assistant can "punch above his weight" and get an ACC job in a place that might or might not have potential, but would be less attractive to some other up and coming coaches do to the weirdness of the situation.

UrinalCake
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
VT has no history outside Allen Bristow and Dell Curry, but is a big school like State, in the ACC like State, and doesn't have Duke and Carolina right down the road (and particularly doesn't have a Carolina dominating in-state recruiting).

VT might not have the Big Two right down the road, but it still has to play them just as many times as State does, so in that sense it's equally as hard to win. I agree that the media pressure isn't as great, and you make a good point about in-state recruiting (though State has done extremely well for themselves as of late). Overall I think VT is a harder place to win than NCSU.

...I can't imagine that the way the firing went down will help VTech in hiring someone like Shaka Smart, someone with established credentials.

Absolutely, I mean who would want to coach for them after the way they just treated Greenberg? Greenberg himself didn't even know he was being canned until a few hours before the press conference. They told him a month ago that he had their full support.

It reminds me of when Dan Gilbert publicly lambasted Lebron for leaving Cleveland. Whether or not you think he deserved it, what player would want to go play for someone who would do that?

OldPhiKap
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Absolutely, I mean who would want to coach for them after the way they just treated Greenberg? Greenberg himself didn't even know he was being canned until a few hours before the press conference. They told him a month ago that he had their full support.

It reminds me of when Dan Gilbert publicly lambasted Lebron for leaving Cleveland. Whether or not you think he deserved it, what player would want to go play for someone who would do that?

VT's actions only make sense if they already have a strong line on someone. I assume someone coming in would want his own staff, so the loss of assistants is probably a plus not a minus. But otherwise, the timing is tough for a new hire -- let alone starting a seach committee fresh at this point.

As far as Seth not knowing -- not sure that has much impact on a potential hire. There are few good ways to get fired, and taking the job requires a certain level of comfort with the AD anyway.

sagegrouse
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM

I found a cite that Greenberg was making $750K in 2009. It was probably closer to $1 million in 2012. His buyout was $1.2 million, which covered the guaranteed portion of the remaining four years on his contract.

So, for $1 million per year, how many former head coaches now looking for work, current assistants anywhere, or head coaches at mid-major level or below would compete for this job?

How about: Except for Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens, all of them?

Weaver's hand was forced. He would need to help Seth recruit three new assistants who would want compeititve salaries and some guarantees of longevity. Since Seth was clearly on a short leash after a losing record, this was a bad position for Weaver. As to timing, James Johnson left for Clemson on April 13 (dateline of story). Weaver went to the VT Chancellor last week, and they jointly agreed yesterday.

These are never happy occasions, and the timing was indeed awkward. Announcement was made as soon as possible to minimize leaks.

sagegrouse

roywhite
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I found a cite that Greenberg was making $750K in 2009. It was probably closer to $1 million in 2012. His buyout was $1.2 million, which covered the guaranteed portion of the remaining four years on his contract.

So, for $1 million per year, how many former head coaches now looking for work, current assistants anywhere, or head coaches at mid-major level or below would compete for this job?

How about: Except for Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens, all of them?

Weaver's hand was forced. He would need to help Seth recruit three new assistants who would want compeititve salaries and some guarantees of longevity. Since Seth was clearly on a short leash after a losing record, this was a bad position for Weaver. As to timing, James Johnson left for Clemson on April 13 (dateline of story). Weaver went to the VT Chancellor last week, and they jointly agreed yesterday.

These are never happy occasions, and the timing was indeed awkward. Announcement was made as soon as possible to minimize leaks.

sagegrouse

Saw some of Weaver's news conference and was wondering about his remarks and presentation...seemed nervous or halting.
I've seen a few references that actually he has Parkinson's disease.
Like some other comments, I'm really wondering if he has somebody lined up for this, or is starting from scratch and doing it with some budget restrictions? Seems to me that the VaTech program could be looking at some tough times if they don't make a good hire.

Indoor66
04-24-2012, 12:03 PM
They told him a month ago that he had their full support.

From what I read, the situation changed when they lost all of the assistants. They were going to have to hire three new assistants and this was, seemingly, the perverbial straw. Why have three new hires when you are dissatisfied with the man at the top? Why wait for one more year with an unsettled situation.

I agree it was not handled artfully but then, Seth did not seem to run an artful shop.

whereinthehellami
04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Here is a good write-up (http://www.techsideline.com/article/2012/04/24/the-posse-closes-in/)from Techsideline on what happened to Seth Greenberg.

alteran
04-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Ah yes, the classic AD vote of confidence. Always the kiss of death.

[Ooops, functionally a dupe. My bad.]

Duvall
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Here is a good write-up (http://www.techsideline.com/article/2012/04/24/the-posse-closes-in/)from Techsideline on what happened to Seth Greenberg.

Summary: Greenberg is a jerk - it takes some longer than others to realize it, but eventually most everyone gets there.

OldPhiKap
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree it was not handled artfully but then, Seth did not seem to run an artful shop.

That's pure poetry.

greybeard
04-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Greenberg had a long run. Many get clipped without warning after one or two years. Now we see coaches jumping ship, leaving recruits high and dry. Today, onje left alma mater after one year. Predictions are likely to lose many, if not all, recruits. Between coaches on move, by choice or not, players going early or switching schools, looking more like pros ever more. Crazy how money can ruin things,not make them better. Paradox.