PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee!

CDu
04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
So this morning was the annual Great Strides Walk - an annual fundraising event in support of those with cystic fibrosis. The walk was held at East Campus at 10am, and afterwards there was lunch and festivities. It was great that Cook and Plumlee were able to attend and visit with all the kids in attendance. Marshall was a big hit with the kids shooting at the mini goals and blocking kids' shots periodically. Both were very friendly and took lots of photos with kids and adults, signed autographs, and played with the kids. Extra kudos to Marshall who, when leaving, was asked by a little boy if he'd come shoot hoops with him. Marshall said "sure" and stuck around for another half hour before finally leaving. It was great to see these guys having fun with the kids in support of a good cause.

Newton_14
04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
So this morning was the annual Great Strides Walk - an annual fundraising event in support of those with cystic fibrosis. The walk was held at East Campus at 10am, and afterwards there was lunch and festivities. It was great that Cook and Plumlee were able to attend and visit with all the kids in attendance. Marshall was a big hit with the kids shooting at the mini goals and blocking kids' shots periodically. Both were very friendly and took lots of photos with kids and adults, signed autographs, and played with the kids. Extra kudos to Marshall who, when leaving, was asked by a little boy if he'd come shoot hoops with him. Marshall said "sure" and stuck around for another half hour before finally leaving. It was great to see these guys having fun with the kids in support of a good cause.

Nice to hear. Thanks for sharing CDu. You hear so many stories of athlete's getting in trouble, it's refreshing to here stories of player's giving back to the community. Both are great kids, and we are lucky to have them at Duke. I will always remember Cook taking an extra minute with T-Rob after the Kansas game, sharing condolences for the loss of a parent (dad I think).

Good stuff

MCFinARL
04-21-2012, 02:13 PM
So glad to hear about this. Thanks for posting. Delighted to hear Quinn and Marshall are getting involved in service opportunities, and thanks to them for being such good representatives of Duke.

MCFinARL
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Nice to hear. Thanks for sharing CDu. You hear so many stories of athlete's getting in trouble, it's refreshing to here stories of player's giving back to the community. Both are great kids, and we are lucky to have them at Duke. I will always remember Cook taking an extra minute with T-Rob after the Kansas game, sharing condolences for the loss of a parent (dad I think).

Good stuff

Yes, it is his dad. Quinn's dad was one of Nolan Smith's important mentors after Nolan lost his dad, and Nolan made a point of mentoring Quinn after Quinn's dad died. Quinn, in turn, seems to be paying this kind of support forward. It's a really nice story about supporting others and handling personal loss in a constructive way.

moonpie23
04-21-2012, 05:34 PM
i've got a good feeling about marshal and quinn....i am glad both are on the team...