PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawkins - Official Statement from Duke

proelitedota
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/bluedevilnation

We will hear concrete reasons why in the next few days.

bdeviled11
04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/11003889/

Interesting.

uh_no
04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Well this would certainly open things up for sheed at the 2 and perhaps a tad at the 3

edit: wrong played...shabazz=/=sheed

pfrduke
04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
All-

On behalf of the moderators, we appreciate that there has been a lot of noise in the twitter-verse and the more traditional rumor mills about Andre Dawkins and potentially redshirting this year. To this point, there hasn't been an official announcement from the school or the player, and none of us really knows what the deal is. Once there is an official announcement - and something concrete to actually talk about - we'll reopen the thread.

Thanks.

-jk
04-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Folks, we don't know any of the details, so please leave the speculation out of the discussion, regardless of the thread. Let's give Andre and the team some space.

thanks,

-jk

BlueDevilBrowns
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
This should make it official:

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/225800/13/After-Rumors-Andre-Dawkins-Staying-At-Duke

pfrduke
04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, that was quick. Back open for discussion.

proelitedota
04-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Matt Christensen red shirted for multiple seasons to finish a chemistry degree.

Perhaps Andre wants the extra year for a real degree? He would be smart not to depend solely on basketball for his future career.

He is only 20 years, ago, so he has that extra year to spare.

blazindw
04-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Matt Christensen red shirted for multiple seasons to finish a chemistry degree.

Perhaps Andre wants the extra year for a real degree? He would be smart not to depend solely on basketball for his future career.

He is only 20 years, ago, so he has that extra year to spare.

Matt Christensen redshirted three seasons to complete his Morman mission. He came back and, outside of that interruption, graduated in 4 years.

pamtar
04-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Be careful what you post here guys. I've seen "duke message boards" quoted twice as "sources" after a google news search on the topic. If Andre has some issues to deal with I feel confident that K and his staff will be fully supportive and fair. Let's hope this clears up soon and in the meantime lets send good vibes Dre's way!

DukeGirl4ever
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
This should make it official:

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/225800/13/After-Rumors-Andre-Dawkins-Staying-At-Duke

I appreciate this statement from Duke as the rumors were all over the place this afternoon.
I hope this gives Dre the respect and privacy now that we have something official. Of course that's always wishful thinking.

I'm really rooting for this kid to succeed no matter what direction he chooses to take in life. He got off to a tough start here at Duke with the family tragedy and I'm sure that weighs heavily on his mind.

Go get 'em Dre! I'll be rooting for you!

WakeDevil
That statement leaves out as much as it reveals. Was it written by a politician's press secretary?

MCFinARL
Without having any idea what the actual reasons are, I can think of some reasons why this might be a very good idea for Andre. It seems clear he has struggled at times, including the end of this season. A year of practicing without playing might give him a chance to really work on his game, both physically and mentally, without as much pressure in what will remain a pretty crowded back court. Might be a way to get back the maturing time he lost between coming to school early and experiencing a terrible personal tragedy, and a chance for him to work on elevating his game to play at the next level.

EDIT: Thought I would help out the mods by deleting a reference to a post they have deleted.

Second edit: Just want to add that Andre has been one of my favorite Duke players since he arrived and I wish the very best for him. I hope the truth of this situation is something similar to my speculation--that Andre and the coaches are working on developing a plan that will be the best for him, personally and athletically.

proelitedota
04-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Matt Christensen redshirted three seasons to complete his Morman mission. He came back and, outside of that interruption, graduated in 4 years.

Ah. My mistake.

Were there any example of past Duke players who red-shirted after freshman year for non-traditional reason such as injury, religion, etc?

ThePublisher
04-19-2012, 10:22 PM
If he redshirts, this will make him a true senior in 13-14. I hope he does what is best for him and his situation works out. He's had a tough time at Duke both on and off the court. Best of luck, Andre, with whatever is going on. If it's personal, keep it that way.

It does make things quite different for our rotation next year. I was really hoping it would be a consistent year for Dawkins next year as he can be a brilliant player if he adds some defensive energy and matures out of his 'emotional slumps'.

roywhite
As most will recall, Andre came to Duke earlier than he had planned; he had been in the high school class of 2010, but finished his requirements and enrolled at Duke in August, 2009. He did that at least partly to help supplement a very thin Duke backcourt rotation. He made some key contributions to that team that won the National Championship.

If he now redshirts and finishes with the 2013-14 season, he would be back with his original fellow recruits Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston.

Don't have any inside info, but this seems like an okay arrangement that may in time benefit both Andre and Duke basketball.

Newton_14
That statement leaves out as much as it reveals. Was it written by a politician's press secretary?

I think the point is clear. It is a private, personal matter.

Be very careful what you post in this thread folks. If you want to discuss the impacts to lineups and rotations, that's fine, but please no speculation on why a red shirt may happen. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT our right to know.

Thanks

uh_no
04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
For me what it comes down to is, Andre is going to do what he needs to do. If there are off the court issues, I hope he gets them resolved (they're more important than basketball). If he wants to spend the year getting better, he must be really dedicated if he's taking a red shirt to get better.

I wish the best for andre whether he red shirts or not, and whatever the reason for the decision may be, I hope andre and the team are better for it.

FerryFor50
04-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Well it certainly has been an interesting offseason....

_Gary
04-19-2012, 10:28 PM

The understatement of the decade for us. LOL

proelitedota
04-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Hasn't been as bad and hopeless as 2009 offseason. We still have 5 perimeter players next year in the worst case scenario.

EDIT: 4 perimeter players.

moonpie23
04-19-2012, 10:33 PM
dre has been through a lot, is talented and seems to be a true dukie....i hope this works out in his (and the school's) favor...

msdukie
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Matt Christensen redshirted three seasons to complete his Mormon mission. He came back and, outside of that interruption, graduated in 4 years.

5 years. He played in 95-96, left for his mission during 96-97 and 97-98, came back and redshirted in 98-99, and played in 99-00, 00-01, and 01-02.

burnspbesq
04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
A reminder: nobody other than the staff, his teammates, and Dre's family have any need to know what's up. It's no different that the Lindsey Harding and Chloe Wells situations.

CDu
04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Wow, what a crazy week. We could go from having a logjam at SF to SF becoming a real question mark next year if Dawkins indeed redshirts. That would put a LOT of pressure on Murphy and Sulaimon (unless we get Jefferson or add a grad student transfer somehow).

If Dawkins is redshirting, I hope that it's a sign that he wants to take a year to focus on his ballhandling in a no-pressure situation. I could certainly envision him stepping in (with a year of work devoted to ballhandling) and becoming a taller, more athletic version of Curry (i.e., SG with decent-but-not-great ballhandling/playmaking skills). It's not like the depth chart will get less crowded next year, but at least then he'll have the opportunity to have a year to focus on his game and his studies and perhaps "restoke the fires" (if that is even an issue).

I hope the redshirt isn't true, but if it is I hope that it's being viewed as a positive opportunity for Dawkins and his family. But it's crazy that a week ago we were talking about how we were possibly going to find minutes for all of our SF. And now we're potentially in a position where we need to find another body to fill the backup role.

MCFinARL
The understatement of the decade for us. LOL

Well, but the decade is young yet.

roywhite
5 years. He played in 95-96, left for his mission during 96-97 and 97-98, came back and redshirted in 98-99, and played in 99-00, 00-01, and 01-02.

Yeah; I had forgotten there was a redshirt in addition to the mission.

Reminds me of the family joke about my brother....he was in grad school for two terms...Carter and Reagan's.

Dukehky
I will remain forever indebted to Andre Dawkins for coming to Duke in the 09-10 school year after our losing Elliot Williams and Gerald Henderson. Just the fact that we had another guard besides Jordan Davidson was a great feeling, and he helped us win an ACC Tournament with a great performance against GT, and a NC with clutch shooting against Baylor. As far as I'm concerned he can do absolutely whatever he wants if it helps him as a player/person/student whatever, whether its good for Duke basketball or not, he's done enough in my mind.

ACCBBallFan
04-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Was glad to see Mark Watson step up to stop the bleeding.

This board has a no rumor policy but the other boards and twitter do not. This is what I posted there to statements like the silence is deafening, why doesn't so and so expert say something ....

"I am not a premium member anywhere but I agree with you.

It's one thing to keep things close to the vest when it's positive news that people who paid for the priviledge should have that information somewhat earlier until it becomes public domain.

It's another when something is conjectured so publicly that hurts the team and the individual but is way off base, worse than the actual truth.

Then the premium board owner need to sanction stopping the bleeding of untruths or half truths.

I realize each kid deserves his privacy but at Duke or UNC and in politics, no such thing, a public personna.

I have a hard time believeing a quiet kid like Dawkins would do any conduct detrimental to the team, though we all make mistakes.

Dre has made a number of personal sacrifices that helped Duke win a championship and helped Duke win many games. He had played a fine role on Duke Blue Planet Videos and seems to be a great kid.

Do what needs to be done Dre and hope to see you on the Bball court when the timing is right for you.

The latest statements that Dre will be back with the team this year or next and we should all respect his privacy should be sufficient for everybody. Just wish they had come sooner before speculation ran rampant, self included.

BlueDevil16
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
So is redshirting likely? We are really going to be in need of another 3

DukeGirl4ever
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this will effect Hood and Jefferson (even if AJ is not necessarily a "3").
I read that Dre will decide in the fall if a redshirt will be discussed, so it seems as of now, nothing has changed with his status.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/April-2012/School-says-Duke-guard-Andre-Dawkins-still-on-the-

subzero02
04-19-2012, 11:47 PM
I really hope he doesn't redshirt...

mr. synellinden
04-19-2012, 11:48 PM
In terms of respecting Andre's privacy, let's remember that this is a kid who left high school early to come to Duke and bail us out of an unexpected desperate situation in the backcourt - and without him, it is unlikely that there are four national championship banners hanging in Cameron. Also remember that his sister was tragically killed while on her way to see him play during his freshman year. How often must he think about the fact that if he hadn't decided to come to Duke a year early, she probably would be alive? That if Williams' mother hadn't gotten sick and led to him transferring to Memphis, that Duke would not have needed Dawkins to leave school a year early and he wouldn't have been playing in that game against St. John's? Imagine the emotional trauma for an 18 year old kid to have to think about that every day for the rest of his life. Then think about how easy it would be to lost focus during games and practices, which have to be constant reminders of the events that occurred that led to his sister driving to Durham that day. He deserves sympathy and the courtesy of respect for his privacy.

On another note, can Mike come back?:p

MCFinARL
04-19-2012, 11:53 PM
A reminder: nobody other than the staff, his teammates, and Dre's family have any need to know what's up. It's no different that the Lindsey Harding and Chloe Wells situations.

Agree with your first sentence, but would like to add "in that respect" to the end of your second sentence. It is, in fact, different in another way from the Wells situation, in which Wells left school for a semester because of a policy violation (appropriately undisclosed, as you note). In this case, based on what Duke is saying, Andre is in school, will be in school and on the team, and as far as we know has committed no violation.

-bdbd
04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
dre has been through a lot, is talented and seems to be a true dukie....i hope this works out in his (and the school's) favor...

Gotta feel for the kid -- he's had a lot deal with in just the last few years.
Good luck in whatever you're dealing with Andre. You have a lot of people rooting for you (and not just ON the court!). :)

westwall
04-20-2012, 12:33 AM
I will remain forever indebted to Andre Dawkins for coming to Duke in the 09-10 school year after our losing Elliot Williams and Gerald Henderson. Just the fact that we had another guard besides Jordan Davidson was a great feeling, and he helped us win an ACC Tournament with a great performance against GT, and a NC with clutch shooting against Baylor. As far as I'm concerned he can do absolutely whatever he wants if it helps him as a player/person/student whatever, whether its good for Duke basketball or not, he's done enough in my mind.

Agree Completely

Kedsy
04-20-2012, 01:15 AM
EDIT: 4 perimeter players.

Still 5, if you count Alex. Six, if Andre doesn't redshirt.

ACCBBallFan
04-20-2012, 01:23 AM

Since Duke may have a one year need, depending if Rodney joins, for example, and assuming Amile is not a 3 for at least a year skill wise, how about a grad student transfer?

http://www2.vteffect.com/sports/2012/mar/27/jt-thompson-leaves-virginia-tech-basketball-progra-ar-1797415/

Normally VA Tech and Duke do not mix well but J T Thompson 6-foot-6, 225-pound Thompson, a Monroe, N.C., native, will look to transfer to get closer to his home in Monroe NC that apparently is about 3 hours from Durham depending on traffic, just past Charlotte, to be closer to his daughter.

He has had some injuries and is seeking a 6th year of eligibility and has graduated.

I would assume as a grad student he could go in conference if both parties wanted that (as in JT and Duke, not Seth Greenberg) and Duke could come up with a major not offered at VA Tech.

If healthy, JT was an outstanding defender but not much offensively as I recall.

JT would be out of eligibility in 2013 and not affect recruting or scholarship limits.

gumbomoop
04-20-2012, 02:30 AM
I posted several times in March, and I think on several different threads, my preference that Andre redshirt in 2012-'13. No one responded, for the perfectly understandable reason that the subject was probably borderline taboo, or at least a little embarrassing .... for me. Just not a scenario that seemed likely, or maybe wise. I think I had dropped the subject, forever - again, for fear of harping on a "no way, dude" subject. Now this news of a not-definite-but-maybe-redshirt from out of nowhere.

My reasoning, about which I have not yet changed my mind, concerned Andre's need to improve his handle [a lot], but also his court sense and aggressiveness. I suggested that Andre was due a "makeup" year, and would really benefit from sitting on the bench to observe intently the rhythms of the game, player positioning, movement, communication, dozens of things, really. I'd want him to discuss with the coaches his observations, just as if he were an apprentice coach. I think Andre needs to see the game, and to talk with coaches about what he sees. I think he might see a lot, learn a lot, and improve a lot. [Same might be said for others, of course, but Andre's early arrival might make him a special case. Seems to have been relevant, for example, in Alex's decision.]

Surely Andre still hopes to play professionally. His ticket is his wonderful long-range shooting, but it seems unlikely that that's enough. He needs to become a more complete player. I posted, and repeat here, that I wonder whether he can improve enough over this coming summer. He needs a longer watching/learning apprenticeship.

I think the point is clear. [1] It is a private, personal matter. If you want to discuss the [2] impacts to lineups and rotations, that's fine, but please no speculation on why a red shirt may happen.

We can try to separate the issue of [1] what's good for Andre from [2] what's good for the team in 2012-'13 and 2013-'14. As to [1], I have neither any idea of, nor any desire to speculate about, what non-basketball issues will go into the decision that will be made next fall.

As to [2], obviously, when a month ago I posted my suggestion that Andre redshirt, I did not know that Michael Gbinije would transfer. At this moment, we don't know whether any additional 2012 recruits will choose Duke, nor do we know who beyond Matt Jones will arrive in the fall of 2013.

If Andre redshirts, and if neither Tony nor Amile chooses Duke, K has 9 recruited scholarship players, including 2 R-Fr and 1 true Fr. But he's also got 3 seniors - 3 very talented seniors. Were Andre to play next year, and were both Tony and Amile to arrive, these 3 seniors would still be the top 3 in terms of mpg and scoring; and Andre's presence would have minimal impact on the mpg's of any of his fellow seniors. Seth, Ryan, and Mason are going to be the top 3 in mpg, and all in the 27-30 mpg range. Right? And those 3 will be the leading scorers. Right?

If K has only 9 recruited players, well, he's very likely to play a 9-man rotation early, and maybe an 8-9 late, with Marshall the likely #9 guy. Even late-season, Marshall might play spot minutes. I suppose it's even possible he could emerge as more valuable than Josh; they'll both get a chance to play. In Andre's absence, Seth is the lead wing, and the pressure would be on both Alex and Rasheed to play big minutes from the word go. Good. Lucky them and lucky us. They're good, and we're fortunate that they, and Andre, chose to attend Duke. Neither Alex nor Rasheed has to score 14-15 ppg; we have 3 seniors who, all of them, can and should do that, or maybe even a little better. It's time for Mason, Ryan, and Seth to play with consistent excellence. Consistent. Excellence. No disappearing.

IMO, if it's in Andre's interest for non-basketball reasons to redshirt, and since it's in his interest [again, IMO] for his basketball-future prospects to redshirt, there are no overwhelming reasons to fret that his absence will be some disaster for Duke's hopes on the court in 2012-'13. If Andre is an apprentice-coach-observer-cheerleader next season, he will be cheering for a team with, yes, a wing-depth question, but also with real talent and substantial experience. After a redshirt year, he would return to a team whose most experienced/talented players will have graduated, and he would then be expected to have improved significantly enough to battle Alex, Rasheed, and Jabari Parker to lead the team in scoring in 2013-'14.

oldnavy
04-20-2012, 07:02 AM
This is not a total shock to me. I noticed in a game at Cameron during his Fr season that Andre got visably upset and emotional when pulled from the game. He was very demonstative on the bench arguing with a coach (Collins I believe)

I totally understood that since he was really still a high school kid who jumped into one of the biggest college basketball pressure cookers in the country. Yet, he would still to that to some degree even this year which concerned me a little.

Point I am trying to make is that Andre has been through a LOT since coming to Duke. He struggled at the end of the year this year which I am sure added more pressure on the young man if from no other source than himself.

Andre has been one of my favorite players at Duke. His smile is infectous when he is hitting his shot. And his shooting stroke is a thing of pure beauty.

I hope he does redshirt and has a season to play ball (practice) without the pressure and has a chance to relax a little. I really do not care how that impacts our team next year if it is the best thing for him. To me the kids and their well being and future come first. Wins follow...

IMO he deserves it. I think he just needs some time off if you will, but no matter what he and the staff deceide, I wish him and his family only the very best.

brianl
04-20-2012, 07:51 AM
I think it would be beneficial for "us" as fans to be supportive of any and all situations. I've seen quite a bit of second guessing and criticism throughout this board over the last few weeks. While we all feel a close connection to the program (and some of you may actually be closely connected), the vast majority of us really don't understand what goes on behind closed doors. I'm fairly certain that living inside the "pressure cooker" that is Duke basketball weighs heavily on everyone involved.

I'm a fan of Duke, not just the name and jersey color....but the people too.

miramar
04-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Andre has our full support.

He played in the championship game as a freshman and we want him to go out as the champion he is.

wilko
04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Andre has our full support.

He played in the championship game as a freshman and we want him to go out as the champion he is.

THIS.... I give Dre all the credit and space he needs.

Saratoga2
04-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow, what a crazy week. We could go from having a logjam at SF to SF becoming a real question mark next year if Dawkins indeed redshirts. That would put a LOT of pressure on Murphy and Sulaimon (unless we get Jefferson or add a grad student transfer somehow).

If Dawkins is redshirting, I hope that it's a sign that he wants to take a year to focus on his ballhandling in a no-pressure situation. I could certainly envision him stepping in (with a year of work devoted to ballhandling) and becoming a taller, more athletic version of Curry (i.e., SG with decent-but-not-great ballhandling/playmaking skills). It's not like the depth chart will get less crowded next year, but at least then he'll have the opportunity to have a year to focus on his game and his studies and perhaps "restoke the fires" (if that is even an issue).

I hope the redshirt isn't true, but if it is I hope that it's being viewed as a positive opportunity for Dawkins and his family. But it's crazy that a week ago we were talking about how we were possibly going to find minutes for all of our SF. And now we're potentially in a position where we need to find another body to fill the backup role.

Maybe he has private personal issues that he needs to work on more than ball handling. Give the kid a break while he and his family decide on what to do going forward.

OldPhiKap
04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Dre is family. Whatever he and the coaches decide, it is a much more informed opinion/view than mine. Good luck to all.

superdave
04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Dre is family. Whatever he and the coaches decide, it is a much more informed opinion/view than mine. Good luck to all.

Similar to the Miles Plumlee appreciation thread at the end of the season, we should retitle this one to say National Champion Andre Dawkins - Official Statement from Duke. He's family, he's a National Champion. I hope he can get some time away and I hope his friends in Durham are there for him when he needs them.

Mike Corey
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
These last few posts reinforce why I love being a Duke fan and a Duke alum.

Andre's going through what Andre's going through. Sometimes, unconditional support is okay.

Let's wait until we know what's going on, and let's keep Andre's best interests at heart.

lotusland
04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
On another note, can Mike come back?:p

Seriously with Andre out SG would likely get a lot of playing time at Duke next year even if Alex Starts. Has anyone ever un-transfered?

I think a red shirt year is not a bad idea for Dre for his basketball development regardless of personal issues. Everyone knows what Andre needs to work on to be a big time college player and potential pro - ball handling, defense (I don't think he is as bad as some) and scoring off the bounce. He seems to be have the athletic tools so hopefully it's just a matter of focus. His shooting skill overlaps more with Seth than it will will Sheed or Jones who won't likely be as ready to contribute as a frosh so he could actually be our most important Senior contributor in 2013. Work it out Dre and come back strong!

superdave
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Raleigh N&O article. (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/20/2013270/dawkins-dad-reiterates-andre-still.html) Andre's Dad mentions the death of Andre's sister is still difficult.

MCFinARL
04-20-2012, 10:09 AM
These last few posts reinforce why I love being a Duke fan and a Duke alum.

Andre's going through what Andre's going through. Sometimes, unconditional support is okay.

Let's wait until we know what's going on, and let's keep Andre's best interests at heart.

Agree completely. Just want to add one small thing--according to tweets from Jack Daly of the N&O, who has spoken with Andre's father, it sounds like Duke and Andre are working together on this--Andre's father was quoted as very much appreciating the offer of a redshirt option. Daly went on to tweet that he has heard the situation has been blown way out of proportion, which I'm pretty confident is true even though I have no inside knowledge. But from a fan point of view, we can and should support Andre unconditionally while taking some comfort from indications that he and Duke are still, literally and figuratively, on the same team.

EDIT: Article linked above by Super Dave has all the information from the tweets, except for Daly's report he has heard that situation has been blown out of proportion.

FerryFor50
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
I'd like to make a request that this thread not make any mention of what the impact to the basketball side of things are.

Playing time, minutes, development... who cares. This is life, and that's what matters.

Take all the time you need, Dre.

Kfanarmy
04-20-2012, 10:23 AM
In terms of respecting Andre's privacy, let's remember that this is a kid who left high school early to come to Duke and bail us out of an unexpected desperate situation in the backcourt - and without him, it is unlikely that there are four national championship banners hanging in Cameron. Also remember that his sister was tragically killed while on her way to see him play during his freshman year. How often must he think about the fact that if he hadn't decided to come to Duke a year early, she probably would be alive? That if Williams' mother hadn't gotten sick and led to him transferring to Memphis, that Duke would not have needed Dawkins to leave school a year early and he wouldn't have been playing in that game against St. John's? Imagine the emotional trauma for an 18 year old kid to have to think about that every day for the rest of his life. Then think about how easy it would be to lost focus during games and practices, which have to be constant reminders of the events that occurred that led to his sister driving to Durham that day. He deserves sympathy and the courtesy of respect for his privacy.

On another note, can Mike come back?:p Well you'll be right there to remind him. why let the potential he's having a good day spoil the desire to reflect on his misfortune?

CDu
04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Maybe he has private personal issues that he needs to work on more than ball handling. Give the kid a break while he and his family decide on what to do going forward.

I didn't intend my post to be in any way negative toward Dawkins. I am fully supportive (for the zero cents that support is worth) of whatever decision Dawkins makes and for whatever reasons he makes it. I don't think I warranted a "give the kid a break" comment. I'm not asking him to make any decision on any sort of timetable and I'm not asking him to explain whatever decision he makes. It's his life, his decision, and none of my business. And I honestly don't care what his reasons are: whether he feels it is best to play, redshirt, or transfer, that's his decision and his business. I was merely discussing a possible benefit to him (as a basketball player) and to Duke (as a basketball team) that could come of a redshirt.

superdave
04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
You have to be joking here. what in the world do speculation and "right to know" have to do with each other. How do we avoid arrest for thoughtcrimes and transfer to an Oceanian Jail?

Please make your posts here useful to the conversation. No one is accusing anyone of thought crimes. We're suggesting people be concerned about Andre's well-being. If you cannot take that suggestion or bring something useful to the conversation, then please do not post.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd like to make a request that this thread not make any mention of what the impact to the basketball side of things are.

Playing time, minutes, development... who cares. This is life, and that's what matters.

Take all the time you need, Dre.

I can respect this.

This basically sounds like a personal decision Dre will make when the time comes. Count me as one that thinks he WILL be back next season ready to go. Maybe what he needs is some time away from Duke and the basketball court. Take a month or two and go on a backpacking trip or something, go to the beach and chill. Since Andre has arrived at Duke, I think year after year, he is the player that has been under the most scrutiny. Even when he came in as a young freshman, he didn't have the chance to really be a freshman, he was forced to play. I myself have been hard on him wondering why he hasn't done this or that. Maybe its taken a toll on him. Take some time away Dre and collect your thoughts. He'll know what is right when the time comes, but again, I believe he'll be back in uniform next year.

ACCBBallFan
04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I can respect this.

This basically sounds like a personal decision Dre will make when the time comes. ...what he needs is some time away from Duke and the basketball court. Take a month or two and go on a backpacking trip or something, go to the beach and chill. Since Andre has arrived at Duke, I think year after year, he is the player that has been under the most scrutiny. Even when he came in as a young freshman, he didn't have the chance to really be a freshman, he was forced to play. ...Take some time away Dre and collect your thoughts. He'll know what is right when the time comes.To expand upon this part of your post, it was not just since Dre came to Duke.

That whole summer before he sacrificed to finish up his school work, even skipped his senior prom, all for the benefit of the Duke prgram. Duke fans owe Andre more than he owes Duke anything.

Finishing up his career at Duke and graduating with his two buds from his area Tyler and Josh who originally were all coming to Duke in the same class, could work out just as well for him and for Duke as Seth's senior replacement next year. Though they no doubt empathize with all Dre has gone and is going through, I am sure they will relish having him as a friend and teammate another year.

There is nobody better than coach K at deciding how best to utilize 9 ACC caliber guys (or more wtih several possibilities for who that would be) regardless of nominal positions. He in not entrenched into a single system that the roster must be shoe horned into. He enjoys the challenge on new dynamics, but surely not the pain Dre is currently experiencing.

The important thing is that Dre and his family do whatever they decide on their own time frame, and the Duke staff will be fully supportive of that as they always are.

Dre has an outstanding support system and will be back to draining 3's, infectious smile and all, when the timing is right.

Neals384
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Andre has been one of my favorite players at Duke. His smile is infectous when he is hitting his shot. And his shooting stroke is a thing of pure beauty.

This. No matter how many games I watch, there is a special thrill when a Blue Devil
releases a 3 with perfect form and it hits "nothing but net" or just kisses the back rim.
Whether it's 2012-13 or 2013-14, I'm looking forward to one more season of appreciating Andre's artistry.

Kfanarmy
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
This thread strikes me as extremely odd. First it starts with a rumor, that Dawkins might redshirt or leave.

Second it is followed with a non-statement from Duke, that when boiled down only indicates that "There is a possibility of him redshirting next season." (Which, I would suggest is about as committal on a player's appearance in uniform as a decision to start recruting a guy from the incoming high school class of 2015. After all can't anyone with a years eligibility left possibly redshirt next year?)

Then there's all sorts of admonitions about speculating why he would redshirt, followed by speculation and full-on assertions that it is for "personal reasons," which is included no where in any official Duke statement, nor is it stated that way by the young man's own father, press paraphrasing notwithstanding. Seriously?

This board is mostly about speculation about the future performance of the Duke Team, its individual players and the coaching staff (not rumor mongering mind you) based upon facts, opinion, and analysis. Got to feel for what has happened to Andre Dawkins personally, as I've lost siblings myself at a fairly young age, but 1) posters wouldn't be talking about him, were he not a Duke BB player. 2) if he does redshirt, it will have an effect on the team. 3) Andre's performance at the end of last season may be having a significant impact on the decision and recommendations about redshirting. and 4) As long as no one is violating the rumor mongering or destructively negative cannons of participation, I don't understand the harm in discussing the potential reasons behind, and impacts of this very odd circumstance.

Des Esseintes
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
This board is mostly about speculation about the future performance of the Duke Team, its individual players and the coaching staff (not rumor mongering mind you) based upon facts, opinion, and analysis. Got to feel for what has happened to Andre Dawkins personally, as I've lost siblings myself at a fairly young age, but 1) posters wouldn't be talking about him, were he not a Duke BB player. 2) if he does redshirt, it will have an effect on the team. 3) Andre's performance at the end of last season may be having a significant impact on the decision and recommendations about redshirting. and 4) As long as no one is violating the rumor mongering or destructively negative cannons of participation, I don't understand the harm in discussing the potential reasons behind, and impacts of this very odd circumstance.

I agree that it should be well within bounds to talk about the effect on the court of Andre's decision. However. Of course we should not be speculating as to why he might redshirt. You can't see the problem with that speculation? We know nothing! There is nothing to discuss! Your point #3, for example, came entirely out of your own head and has zero substantiation. It's cheap pop psychology you're performing on a kid in Durham from your workstation in New Orleans. I join others on the board in finding that immensely tawdry. Maybe you see a lot of value in baseless speculation. Great. There are plenty of places on the internet to do exactly that. Some of them are even dedicated to Duke basketball. Have at 'em, tiger.

Kfanarmy
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Please make your posts here useful to the conversation. No one is accusing anyone of thought crimes. We're suggesting people be concerned about Andre's well-being. If you cannot take that suggestion or bring something useful to the conversation, then please do not post. Newton stated, "Be very careful what you post in this thread folks. If you want to discuss the impacts to lineups and rotations, that's fine, but please no speculation on why a red shirt may happen. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT our right to know."

I believe it is always useful to resist efforts by folks to unnecessarily direct the conversation away from real discussion, especially when there is no signicant evidence as to why Andre Dawkins might or might not redshirt. Assertions notwithstanding, no one at Duke has said this situation is, solely or in-part, about the young man's well-being or personal sitautions. This thread was started with speculation and bolstered by rampant speculation about the reason behind a redshirt.

The post by Newton indicated there was a "popular belief" that we have a "right to know." I haven't seen any indication of anyone here thinking they have a "right" to know....the post also implies that speculating about why he might redshirt is somehow against the rules.

I don't agree with any of that and if it is useful for Newton to write this then it is useful for me to refute it. CLEARLY if Dawkins redshirt is driven by personal reasons only, that fact alone is worth knowing, as a fact so that we don't speculate on potential performance reasons. If the decision may be driven in part or whole by performance or behavior reasons, that is also worth knowing, and speculating about, whether or not we have a "right" to know it.

oldnavy
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Raleigh N&O article. (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/20/2013270/dawkins-dad-reiterates-andre-still.html) Andre's Dad mentions the death of Andre's sister is still difficult.

You know it has to be tough. I lost my mother when at the end of my sophmore year in HS, and I still have "days", and that was 1977. Just everyone say a prayer for him and give him time and space to do what he needs to do.

I do think that he is in the best place he can be. Not to say other schools and coaching staff would not be supportive or that Duke has a monopoly on caring coaches, but Coach K and our staff are sure to be there for Dre. I think I can say the same for the majority of our fan base as well.

azzefkram
04-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Best of luck with whatever you are going through Dre. I hope Duke can help you get through this and look forward to seeing you again in Duke Blue whenever you are ready.

obsesseddukefan
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
after hearing from the article that Andre's Dad says the death of his sister still hurts, I can only imagine what he is going through. While I have never lost a close family member, I lost my best friend who past 3 years ago this weekend. He was 33 at the time. My friend was full of life, and the first person I met when I moved to Illinois at age 6. We were best friends ever since. His passing still haunts me to this day, so I can only imagine what he is going through. I guess the reason I am posting this is to show my support for Andre. Keep strong Andre...there was a time when everyone said time heals all wounds and I brushed it off. I am here to say that 3 years later it is not as heavy but there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think of my best friend. You will figure it out and the main thing is to make sure you deal with your loss in a positive way. The sun will rise again Andre...I promise.

Forever Duke,

obsesseddukefan.

Newton_14
04-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Andre's father speaks on the situation.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/andre-dawkins-dad-clears-mystery-surrounding-son-future-143806701.html)

Dawkins' father cleared up that mystery Friday morning when he told the Raleigh News & Observer that his son has the option to sit out next season to work through any lingering grief from the death of his older sister. Lacey Dawkins died at age 21 in a car accident in Dec. 2009 while driving from Columbus, Ohio, to Durham to see Duke play St. John's

dukeman28428
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I have been a Duke fan since 1948 and Andre is one of my all time favorites.

Whatever decision is made by Andre and the coaches is fine with me as he will always be a champion and Duke favorite for life.

He is family and let's give him space and time.

OldPhiKap
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Andre's father speaks on the situation.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/andre-dawkins-dad-clears-mystery-surrounding-son-future-143806701.html)

Thanks. One would hope that's the end of it.

MulletMan
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Then there's all sorts of admonitions about speculating why he would redshirt, followed by speculation and full-on assertions that it is for "personal reasons," which is included no where in any official Duke statement, nor is it stated that way by the young man's own father, press paraphrasing notwithstanding. Seriously?

Oh yeah... you're right on. Andre's father hasn't said anything about this. (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/20/2013270/dawkins-dad-reiterates-andre-still.html) We should totally sit here an speculate.

The elder Andre Dawkins said Andre has the option of taking next season off to work through any lingering grief from the death of his sister. Lacey Dawkins was killed in a car accident on Dec. 5, 2009, while driving to a Duke-St. John’s basketball game.

“He’s dealt with a lot,” Dawkins’ father said. “It’s been tough. It hasn’t been easy at all. With the fast pace of playing high-level basketball, you don’t really get the time to deal with things like that.

“Everyone is different and so everyone might handle that situation differently. I appreciate the fact that’s an option for him if that’s going to be the case. That’s been really great.”

ncexnyc
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Whatever is in the best interest of Andre Dawkins the person is fine with me.

SoCalDukeFan
04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I have not lost a sibling or child and my parents lived fairly long lives.

Whatever Andre decides is best for Andre is fine with me.

SoCal

camion
04-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I have not lost a sibling or child and my parents lived fairly long lives.

Whatever Andre decides is best for Andre is fine with me.

SoCal

Basketball is a wonderful game and I enjoy it immensely.

But baskeball is just a game and life is, well, life. Life issues trump basketball. I wish Andre the best in life and hope he can find his way to a good place.

-jk
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Everyone, please give Andre space and stop speculating on what may be his reasons. They are personal, and not our business.

The players spend their playing lives under a microscope. It's the policy of this board to let them have as private a personal life as possible.

Regards,

-jk

ACCBBallFan
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Since Duke may have a one year need, depending if Rodney joins, for example, and assuming Amile is not a 3 for at least a year skill wise, how about a grad student transfer?

http://www2.vteffect.com/sports/2012/mar/27/jt-thompson-leaves-virginia-tech-basketball-progra-ar-1797415/

Normally VA Tech and Duke do not mix well but J T Thompson 6-foot-6, 225-pound Thompson, a Monroe, N.C., native, will look to transfer to get closer to his home in Monroe NC that apparently is about 3 hours from Durham depending on traffic, just past Charlotte, to be closer to his daughter.

He has had some injuries and is seeking a 6th year of eligibility and has graduated.

I would assume as a grad student he could go in conference if both parties wanted that (as in JT and Duke, not Seth Greenberg) and Duke could come up with a major not offered at VA Tech.

If healthy, JT was an outstanding defender but not much offensively as I recall.

JT would be out of eligibility in 2013 and not affect recruting or scholarship limits.

Here's an update - @GoodmanCBS: Virginia Tech transfer JT Thompson told CBSSports he is looking at Charlotte and Winthrop. Will visit winthrop this weekend.

CDu
04-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Here's an update - @GoodmanCBS: Virginia Tech transfer JT Thompson told CBSSports he is looking at Charlotte and Winthrop. Will visit winthrop this weekend.

Not sure why this is in the Dawkins thread?

ChicagoCrazy84
04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Not sure why this is in the Dawkins thread?

Just in case anyone was wondering if we were interested in JT? Not that I thought we ever would be.

CDu
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering if we were interested in JT? Not that I thought we ever would be.

Yeah, maybe so. But I agree that I can't imagine we were going to get involved with him.

KenTankerous
04-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I second, third and quadrangle every one backing up and loving on Andre right now. I have lost siblings and understand this isn't something you recover from in a season, or a year or a life time. It is always there and I still and will always miss my Huggy and my Devil.

What Andre is dealing with, how he needs and any of his issues are not our business. At the risk of the terms of service, we all need to shut the I am a wanker for saying UP. and remember he brought home a little piece of historic hardware in 2010 and we love you for it 'dre. But we also want you to be healthy and find a path. So take your time. The more time at Duke, the better.