PDA

View Full Version : March To Madness

bounce840
04-17-2012, 01:07 AM
It's a book by John Feinstein. Very good read. Read it over weekend and pretty decent. I think this was one of K's best coaching jobs and I still remember to this day losing to Providence. I was upset and like a six year old crushed. The next year we had a great team and probably could have won it all. We had a big lead on Kentucky in the Elite Eight and in the second half it crumbled.

Billy Dat
04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
It's a book by John Feinstein. Very good read. Read it over weekend and pretty decent. I think this was one of K's best coaching jobs and I still remember to this day losing to Providence. I was upset and like a six year old crushed. The next year we had a great team and probably could have won it all. We had a big lead on Kentucky in the Elite Eight and in the second half it crumbled.

I've said it in this forum before, but the chapter in that book entitled, "We're Winning on Wednesday" is required reading for any Duke fan. It was the week of the Carolina game, and K gives a speech to the team that sets the tone for winning that game. We all know it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream with K, but that chapter takes you inside the octagon and very clearly demonstrates how demanding he is, and how brutally honest and cutting he can be to motivate the team. I wish it was excerpted online somewhere that I could link to it.

UrinalCake
04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
I read this book many years ago and loved it. It helps you realize how much of a psychologist Coach K is. There's a lot more to coaching the players than just X's and O's.

I'd also recommend "Seven Seconds or Less," a kind-of-similar behind the scenes book about the Phoenix Suns team from a few years ago. Gives you some perspective on how things are at the NBA level (spoiler alert: pretty much the same, although the players have a lot more money).

gwlaw99
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I had no idea Jim Sumner had a book coming out

Tales from the Duke Blue Devils Locker Room: A Collection of the Greatest Duke Basketball Stories Ever Told
http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Duke-Blue-Devils-Locker/dp/1613210531/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334692704&sr=1-6

chaosmage
04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
As a fan of digital tech, I'd like it even more if these titles were in some form of e-format. Drives me bonkers at this point.

/endrant