PDA

View Full Version : Michigan's Smotrycz to Maryland

gofurman
04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Could be a good get for Maryland: Evan Smotrycz heading to Maryland

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7818975/evan-smotrycz-transfer-michigan-wolverines-maryland-terrapins

Former Michigan forward Evan Smotrycz is heading from the Big Ten to the ACC.
Smotrycz, a 6-foot-9 forward from Reading, Mass., said Monday he has decided to transfer to Maryland over his other two finalists, Colorado and Providence. He made an official visit to Maryland this weekend.

bounce840
04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Good pickup for Maryland. They have good players in place. He is a real good shooter. Combine that with the recruiting class in place and Nick Faust Turgeon will have them boys in contention just like Gary Williams.

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I seem to remember him coming off as cocky and running his mouth when we played Michigan in the tourney in 2011. If I recall, he did some damage against us in the first half, ran his mouth, before eventually fouling out and retreating into sunset.

Makes perfect sense that a guy who rubbed me the wrong way would end up a turtle.:rolleyes: I can see him becoming like David Neal, but better. Big turtle goon who likes to play chippy and can shoot the 3.

His quotes are kind of odd, though. I can't think of a better system for Smotrycz than Michigan's. He is a big guy who is an outstanding shooter. Who knows what the real problem was.

Either way, he will be a good player who will be a pain in our backsides in the near future.

MaxAMillion
04-17-2012, 08:40 AM
The ACC will be much tougher in the future. I expect Maryland and UVA to continue to improve under their new coaches. State will be a lot better going forward as well. Things should be heading back to the good old days where 4-5 conference loss seasons would get you first place. I think it will be good for Duke to be challenged.

dukemsu
04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Smot is, as mentioned above, a really good shooter from distance and a capable defensive rebounder. However, I am sure there has been a less effective individual defender in high D1 recently, but I don't know who that might be. Dukemsu

scottdude8
04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
As a Michigan fan not looking forward to have to root against one of my favorite players (and names, haha) in recent memory. He's gonna be a very good player as a Terp, just watch. Think of him as a mix, albeit less talented, of Singer and Kelly—provides a height mismatch at the three but is also often the best three point shooter on the floor. He's gonna create a lot of matchup problems.