PDA

View Full Version : A lighter moment; Skip Bayless gets called out

roywhite
04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
jalen-rose-calls-out-skip-bayless-for-high-school-hoops-lies (http://www.thescore.com/buzz/articles/260884-jalen-rose-calls-out-skip-bayless-for-high-school-hoops-lies)

In an effort to prove he has credibility when discussing Russell Westbrook and the point guard position, Skip Bayless of ESPN's First Take recently tweeted these comments claiming he was a star point guard in high school (as if being a good high school athlete actually adds to credibility for analyzing professional athletes):

Pretty funny, esp. the video.

SilkyJ
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
"water pistol pete"

Love it. Its amazing to me some that ESPN give Skip airtime. He's a complete bonehead.

dbowen
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
jalen-rose-calls-out-skip-bayless-for-high-school-hoops-lies (http://www.thescore.com/buzz/articles/260884-jalen-rose-calls-out-skip-bayless-for-high-school-hoops-lies)

Pretty funny, esp. the video.

Skip Bayless is a joke! All that guy does is contradict himself and he shouldn't be allowed to be on First Take. Was glad to see he got put in his place. By no means am I a fan of Jalen Rose, but somebody had to do it!

bounce840
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I am a fan of Jalen and still am even after the Fab Five documentary. But, Bayless is a idiot. Really, calling out my boy Westbrook who is one of my favorite players.

SmartDevil
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
".....Love it. Its amazing to me some that ESPN give Skip airtime. He's a complete bonehead.

There are so many additional boneheads on ESPN that they could easily form the world's largest skeleton skull choir!

superdave
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
There are so many additional boneheads on ESPN that they could easily form the world's largest skeleton skull choir!

Espn seemed to intentionally become more of an opinion forum about ten years ago. They often become the story rather than just report the news. Bayless fits perfectly into that. I now watch the Highlight Express instead of Sportcenter these days because I cannot stand the opinions, music videos and human interest stories.

Super "Boy, my posts sound grumpy today!" Dave

Chris Randolph
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I like Skip Bayless. Sometimes he is a little over the top on some topics but for the most part I think he is real and speaks the truth. I think he knows what he is talking about as well. He is usually dead on in his talent evaluations and predictions (Jay Crawford, the moderator, attest to that show after show).

Jalen Rose on the otherhand, should have stuck to basketball and never gotten into television. Today he completely disrespected all sports reporters and Stephen A Smith let him have it, yet Rose could not comprehend what point Smith was trying to convey to him

Billy Dat
04-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Jalen Rose's weekly Grantland Network podcast is fantastic. The dude is really smart, articulate and funny, with an emphasis on smart. I know the Fab Five doc, and his comments about Duke, will forever keep some Duke fans from liking him, however.

MaxAMillion
04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Skip Bayless just seems like a shock jock. His comments always appear to get the viewer upset. I really don't understand the appeal of all those talking head shows on ESPN. I try to avoid all those shows whenever possible.

slower
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are two of the most loathesome "reporters" in my lifetime. They deserve each other.

jv001
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are two of the most loathesome "reporters" in my lifetime. They deserve each other.

You can throw Bonami Jones into that trash pile. But Jalen Rose is not too far behind those guys. GoDuke!

dukebluesincebirth
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Ever since Jalen Rose called Coach K a racist and Grant Hill an uncle tom, I've had no use for anything he's had to offer. Ignorance seeps through his pores, and he has NO place on national television trying to speak on anything. I've never been a huge Skip Bayless fan, but at least Skip offers facts, then opines on those facts. Jalen Rose just blabbers whatever comes to mind, and it's disgusting to watch. If I'm flipping through tv channels and see Jalen Rose speaking, I immediately move on. If I'm watching ESPN and Jalen Rose comes on, I change the channel. I wish someone would get the clown off of television completely.

roywhite
04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Ever since Jalen Rose called Coach K a racist and Grant Hill an uncle tom, I've had no use for anything he's had to offer. Ignorance seeps through his pores, and he has NO place on national television trying to speak on anything. I've never been a huge Skip Bayless fan, but at least Skip offers facts, then opines on those facts. Jalen Rose just blabbers whatever comes to mind, and it's disgusting to watch. If I'm flipping through tv channels and see Jalen Rose speaking, I immediately move on. If I'm watching ESPN and Jalen Rose comes on, I change the channel. I wish someone would get the clown off of television completely.

It was hard to beat Grant Hill's response to Jalen Rose about those comments.

thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/ (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/)

That said, I think the two have returned to speaking terms. If Grant can get past an incident like that, I guess most of us can, too.

I was certainly no fan of the Fab Five, and hated those comments Rose directed toward Duke, but I'll agree with some others that Rose knows his NBA basketball very well and is worth listening to...even enjoyable to listen to.
Skip Bayless---uuuh, not so much.

jv001
04-11-2012, 05:04 PM
It was hard to beat Grant Hill's response to Jalen Rose about those comments.

thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/ (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/)

That said, I think the two have returned to speaking terms. If Grant can get past an incident like that, I guess most of us can, too.

I was certainly no fan of the Fab Five, and hated those comments Rose directed toward Duke, but I'll agree with some others that Rose knows his NBA basketball very well and is worth listening to...even enjoyable to listen to.
Skip Bayless---uuuh, not so much.

I just saw on ESPN that Grant has been cleared to play Friday after his knee surgery. Among other great things, Grant is a fast healer. GoDuke!

Cicero
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Among other great things, Grant is a fast healer.

I had a good laugh at this. Tell it to the Orlando Magic!

Dev11
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I just saw on ESPN that Grant has been cleared to play Friday after his knee surgery. Among other great things, the Phoenix Suns' training and medical staffs are wizards (not Andray Blatche-style). GoDuke!

Honest mistake, no worries

wsb3
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
You can throw Bonami Jones into that trash pile. But Jalen Rose is not too far behind those guys. GoDuke!

I would like to add Colin Cowherd. I can't tolerate condescending people. One of the first times I ever heard him a caller had the nerve to disagree with him and he cuts the call and tells him good luck mowing grass for a living. Well as a former Park Supervisor who has spent a fair amount of time doing just that he lost me right then. And he was the great conspirator on how in 2010 the brackets were drawn up to get Duke to the final four.

Dev11
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I would like to add Colin Cowherd. I can't tolerate condescending people. One of the first times I ever heard him a caller had the nerve to disagree with him and he cuts the call and tells him good luck mowing grass for a living. Well as a former Park Supervisor who has spent a fair amount of time doing just that he lost me right then. And he was the great conspirator on how in 2010 the brackets were drawn up to get Duke to the final four.

When I'm listening to ESPN Radio through my headphones, and a Colin commercial comes on, I have to remove my headphones because the quality of his voice coming through actually gives me a headache. And that's not even when I start to actually listen to what he's saying.

JNort
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Can you prove he thinks that? Or is that just your ignorance? I do not like Jalen either but what they said in the documentary was what they thought when they were 18 years old! They were immature and jealous and wanted reasons to hate teams like Duke. When you were 18 you probably said a lot of stupid things and did stupid things you regret now. So does Jalen and he has said as much after the documentary so people could understand. Sorry to sound like I am going after you but what you said was unfair to Jalen even if I myself do not particularly care for him.

mph
04-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Can you prove he thinks that? Or is that just your ignorance? I do not like Jalen either but what they said in the documentary was what they thought when they were 18 years old! They were immature and jealous and wanted reasons to hate teams like Duke. When you were 18 you probably said a lot of stupid things and did stupid things you regret now. So does Jalen and he has said as much after the documentary so people could understand. Sorry to sound like I am going after you but what you said was unfair to Jalen even if I myself do not particularly care for him.

I think it's unfair to say Rose called Coach K a racist, but it also misrepresents his comments to say he believes his views as an 18 year old were "immature" and "stupid." He backed away from his comments without backing away from his comments. I also think it's fair to say he implicitly called Grant Hill an Uncle Tom. Grant certainly took it that way. (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/) Here's a partial transcript (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-03-15/sports/os-jalen-rose-espn-defends-duke-comments_1_duke-university-comments-documentary) of Rose explaining his comments (emphasis added):

Jalen Rose: “As a 17-year-old recruit, that’s exactly how I felt. I felt like I was an inner-city kid from the public school league that was waking up with kerosene heaters for heat in the house, boiling water to wash up, sleeping with hoodies and skullies, that at that time I felt like I wasn’t good enough for certain stages. That’s just a fact,” Rose said.

“But also it was something I used as motivation. Now, I understand what their program represents because I’m a mature adult. I know that it’s a private school. I know that they do recruit players from well-to-do, affluent families, but also I understand some of the reason why. So that they don’t see some of their players selling goods or selling their rings for money. Also they want to get kids that are going to represent the program the right way. I get all of that. But that’s the minority, I was speaking for the majority. That’s exactly how I felt then.

Skip Bayless: “So you don’t feel that way today nearly as strongly?

Rose: “Well the bottom line is this, they do recruit a certain type of player. They recruit a lot of players from private schools."

Dana Jacobson: “Would they recruit you now?”

Rose: “I think they would recruit my kids. I don’t think they would have recruited me. I never seen Coach K in Detroit, but that’s just me.”

JNort
04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I think it's unfair to say Rose called Coach K a racist, but it also misrepresents his comments to say he believes his views as an 18 year old were "immature" and "stupid." He backed away from his comments without backing away from his comments. I also think it's fair to say he implicitly called Grant Hill an Uncle Tom. Grant certainly took it that way. (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/) Here's a partial transcript (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-03-15/sports/os-jalen-rose-espn-defends-duke-comments_1_duke-university-comments-documentary) of Rose explaining his comments (emphasis added):

But that just proved my point.

Jalen Rose: “As a 17-year-old recruit, that’s exactly how I felt.

Dukeface88
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM

And how he still feels now. He makes that quite clear - "they do", "I don't think", rather than "I thought".

mph
04-12-2012, 09:10 PM

No, because 38 year old Jalen agrees with 17 year old Jalen that Duke only recruits "a certain type of player" and that he's "never seen Coach K in Detroit." That's the part of the transcript after Bayless gives him a chance to clarify that he no longer feels that way. Instead of offering that clarification he came pretty close to doubling down.

You chided another poster for failing to prove that Rose called K a racist and Grant an Uncle Tom. Fair enough, but I've seen nothing approaching proof that Rose regrets anything he said in that documentary. That's a shame given the offensiveness of his original comments.

JNort
04-12-2012, 10:16 PM
No, because 38 year old Jalen agrees with 17 year old Jalen that Duke only recruits "a certain type of player" and that he's "never seen Coach K in Detroit." That's the part of the transcript after Bayless gives him a chance to clarify that he no longer feels that way. Instead of offering that clarification he came pretty close to doubling down.

You chided another poster for failing to prove that Rose called K a racist and Grant an Uncle Tom. Fair enough, but I've seen nothing approaching proof that Rose regrets anything he said in that documentary. That's a shame given the offensiveness of his original comments.

I think the point I was trying to go for is going amiss.

17 year old Jalen: Coach K is a racist and only recruits Uncle Toms.

Present Jalen: Coach does not give kids from the hood a chance and he only recruits kids who are model students/citizens

To me that is a very big difference in how he feels.

Also I would like to say I do agree with Jalen that we only recruit certain kids. Why do I agree? Because it is true! Every school has their own standards as does every coach. At Duke under coach K we recruit guys who typically are very smart, well mannered, and stay out of trouble and believe that the team is a family. Uconn.... ehh not so much, they seemingly have looser standards although some of them are great and would be accepted at Duke.

moonpie23
04-13-2012, 07:38 AM

granted......but jalen never said that he was WRONG....he's danced around admitting that his perceptions were WRONG....it's fine to say that's the way you saw it back when you were 17, but he needs to say, "but i was WRONG"...

oldnavy
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
I understand what Jalen Rose is saying (I think). From his perspective he sees Duke recruiting a "certain" type of player. Who can argue with that? It seems to me that Duke does steer away from players that have questionable character, which is the point I think Jalen is making.

The mistake I believe he makes is that he believes that the character issues are related to race and social standing. I seriously doubt that Coach K cares one bit about race and social standing when he recruits kids he thinks will be successful at Duke. I am sure that those more in the know can give examples of black players who came from moderate to poor backgrounds that had successful careers at Duke.

I can think of one example off the top of my head, where a white kid from a well to do family was turned down/away by Duke for character issues, Kris Humphries.

So while Jalen makes a point, he overlooks the bigger picture. It would be interesting to look down the road at UNC and see if there are example of Dean Smith or Roy Williams going after some of the kids like Jalen Rose compares himself to.

I know that both schools have had their dissappointments with regards to players after they got to the school and after they moved on. Mistakes happen and you cannot always predict how personalities emerge in different situations. But as a rule, I would say that both Duke and UNC shy away from the questionable types.....