PDA

View Full Version : Hey DBR, You Want To Give Chris Washburn A Break?

Turtleboy
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I mean, c'mon! The guy has been clean and sober for ten years. He's trying to follow his mother's examples, support himself, and help the community. What the hell does he have to do for you not to take a shot at him?

dukeballboy88
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I had the pleasure of hearing a speech at 5 star camp from Howard Garfinkel on appreciating the little things and he was referring to how fast it can all be taken away. Then he said Chris Washburn was by far the best player he had ever seen in his life when he came through the 5 star camp. Thats pretty strong considering who had attended the camp.

Wildcat
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Good to hear Chris has made his way back to his native roots in Hickory. He's a personal friend and believe it or not, he's a great conversationalist. Ten years is pretty good.

gep
04-12-2012, 12:30 AM
When I read DBR's front page blurb, I wasn't expecting much about Chris. However, reading the article, I think it's very inspirational. First, getting off drugs, and clean for 10+ years. Second, going back to his hometown to take care of his mother. Third, his mother is also a very inspirational person with respect to community service and giving back. Fourth, being with Monique and her two children. Fifth, setting up his restaurant in his hometown... a quarter-mile from where he grew up. FIFTH, low prices, the broke and hungry can work for their meals, and helping unemployment by putting folks to work. I didn't see any reason for cynicism... I think Chris will succeed forever... for all the reasons I've mentioned, and I feel, much more that wasn't in the article. GOOD LUCK, CHRIS.... I know there's more of these kinds of stories that just don't make "news"... too bad that "news" today is all about "bad stuff", not "good stuff".

DrChainsaw
04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
I mean, c'mon! The guy has been clean and sober for ten years. He's trying to follow his mother's examples, support himself, and help the community. What the hell does he have to do for you not to take a shot at him?
Agree. Washburn was a prime example of things wrong with the Wolfpack during that era & one reason why I thought it was time for Valvano to go, as much as I admired & liked him.

BUT, DBR has ridiculed Chris in the past and to continue with snarky comments after he has pulled himself out of the deep hole he dug (perhaps with some help from parasites that attached themselves, during his short-lived prime) is just mean-spirited & petty.

sagegrouse
04-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Good to hear Chris has made his way back to his native roots in Hickory. He's a personal friend and believe it or not, he's a great conversationalist. Ten years is pretty good.

When I read DBR's front page blurb, I wasn't expecting much about Chris. However, reading the article, I think it's very inspirational. First, getting off drugs, and clean for 10+ years. Second, going back to his hometown to take care of his mother. Third, his mother is also a very inspirational person with respect to community service and giving back. Fourth, being with Monique and her two children. Fifth, setting up his restaurant in his hometown... a quarter-mile from where he grew up. FIFTH, low prices, the broke and hungry can work for their meals, and helping unemployment by putting folks to work. I didn't see any reason for cynicism... I think Chris will succeed forever... for all the reasons I've mentioned, and I feel, much more that wasn't in the article. GOOD LUCK, CHRIS.... I know there's more of these kinds of stories that just don't make "news"... too bad that "news" today is all about "bad stuff", not "good stuff".

Why don't you write a counterpoint piece and give it to Julio? I bet he'd run it. -- sage

moonpie23
04-12-2012, 01:25 PM
good for chris......sounds like he had some good things happen in his life...

hq2
04-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Agree. Washburn was a prime example of things wrong with the Wolfpack during that era & one reason why I thought it was time for Valvano to go, as much as I admired & liked him.

BUT, DBR has ridiculed Chris in the past and to continue with snarky comments after he has pulled himself out of the deep hole he dug (perhaps with some help from parasites that attached themselves, during his short-lived prime) is just mean-spirited & petty

Chris Washburn had a million dollar body and a 10 cent head. I think in terms of pure athletic ability, I can't remember another player 6-11 with his combination of speed, strength and coordination. He is a classic example of what happens when someone who isn't that bright falls in with the wrong people; he simply didn't know what to do with the demands of living up to his incredible talent. Speaking for everyone who remembers what happened to him, we're glad his life is on a positive path now.
Others have met worse fates.