PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Men's and Women's basketball teams in trouble

wgl1228
04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7791434/baylor-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

NCAA probably will give them a slap on the wrist but I have heard rumors of Scott Drew being involved in far worse affairs than this.

RoyalBlue08
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm going to file this one under not shocking.

FerryFor50
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm going to file this one under not shocking.

Funny how the NCAA only starts noticing things when you start winning (unless you're UNC football)

A-Tex Devil
04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Funny how the NCAA only starts noticing things when you start winning (unless you're UNC football)

I didn't realize that Baylor's football and basketball teams set the record for most wins among the three teams combined in a year. That's pretty impressive.

... but what is pretty obvious is that something like this was going to happen to Scott Drew. Somewhat surprised Mulkey is similarly a problem.

FerryFor50
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I didn't realize that Baylor's football and basketball teams set the record for most wins among the three teams combined in a year. That's pretty impressive.

... but what is pretty obvious is that something like this was going to happen to Scott Drew. Somewhat surprised Mulkey is similarly a problem.

Yea programs on the rise that normally weren't are always going to face scrutiny.

Kind of makes you wonder if traditional powers are whistleblowers in some form or fashion...

A-Tex Devil
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Yea programs on the rise that normally weren't are always going to face scrutiny.

Kind of makes you wonder if traditional powers are whistleblowers in some form or fashion...

I can tell you that Texas definitely does this in football. Kentucky, ironically, has potentially played that role in basketball this year (look at the Poythress and 'Bazz recruitments and the timing of minor infractions related to those players vis a vis UK visits).

Texas basically handed the media the Willie Lyles/Oregon story.

FerryFor50
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I can tell you that Texas definitely does this in football. Kentucky, ironically, has potentially played that role in basketball this year (look at the Poythress and 'Bazz recruitments and the timing of minor infractions related to those players vis a vis UK visits).

Good times.

How much would you be willing to bet some major university helped leak this Urban Meyer nugget?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-09/urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

Kfanarmy
04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Good times.

How much would you be willing to bet some major university helped leak this Urban Meyer nugget?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-09/urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc wow what a hatchet job there. almost no facts, one or two, perhaps, disgruntled players willing to speak out...what a piece of dog doo for journalism. I have no idea what Meyer got into at UF, but he certainly hasn't done as bad a job in his profession as the author of that story.

devildeac
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7791434/baylor-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

NCAA probably will give them a slap on the wrist but I have heard rumors of Scott Drew being involved in far worse affairs than this.

How many illegal texts/phone calls did it take to get Mike Davis in trouble at IU several years ago?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Go back a bit longer... what about blowing the whistle on SMU?

sagegrouse
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
How many illegal texts/phone calls did it take to get Mike Davis in trouble at IU several years ago?

I think it was Kelvin Sampson and there were many, many fewer calls than 500+ -- but they may have involved other violations.

sage

devildeac
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I think it was Kelvin Sampson and there were many, many fewer calls than 500+ -- but they may have involved other violations.

sage

You are correct, oh sage one. Crean took over for interim coach Dan Dakich who took over for "Call/Text Me" Kelvin who took over for Mike Davis. That's where/when/why I was confused. Damn memory problems.

jimsumner
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
You are correct, oh sage one. Crean took over for interim coach Dan Dakich who took over for "Call/Text Me" Kelvin who took over for Mike Davis. That's where/when/why I was confused. Damn memory problems.

Sampson had been nailed for the same offense while at Oklahoma. He was told as clearly as possible that he had darn well better not get caught doing the same thing at IU. That seemed to have dissuaded him not one whit.

A textbook definition of a serial cheater.

Saratoga2
04-10-2012, 09:08 AM

The reason that the NCAA bans this sort of illegal contact is that it provides the team(s) doing it an unfair advantage(s). In the case of Baylor, their programs did very well this year, but the coaches must know that they are cheating when they make 1200 illegal contacts. Couple this with the kind of courses that were announced for all the women's championship team (all 5 were Athletics and Human Performance) and you see a school more into winning championships than sticking with the spirit of college athletics. The NCAA should deliver significant punishments for these violations.