PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming

The Gordog
07-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I will be coming down for the VA Tech football game this year, but the time is still listed as TBA. Supposedly the alumni assn. is planning a pre-game lunch, so it's probably not a noon game, right?

Does anyone know when the game time will be announced?

What's your opinion? Is it better to travel down Friday night and head back after the game on Saturday (4 hour drive from northern VA) or travel Saturday morning and enjoy a night out on Saturday before heading back on Sunday mornng?

I guess if it's a 4:00pm game or later I would lean toward the Saturday night stay, whereas if it's noon or 1:00pm I would lean toward a Friday night stay.

-jk
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd say stay the whole weekend! Sun morning traffic on 95 is more civilized than Sat evening.

Of course, I'm not the best one to ask: I typically drive down and back for mid-week games, leaving DC by about 2:15 (to catch HOV), have dinner in Durham if it's a 9:00 game, and drive home after the game. The adrenaline usually gets me beyond 85.

-jk

The Gordog
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
I'd say stay the whole weekend! Sun morning traffic on 95 is more civilized than Sat evening.

Of course, I'm not the best one to ask: I typically drive down and back for mid-week games, leaving DC by about 2:15 (to catch HOV), have dinner in Durham if it's a 9:00 game, and drive home after the game. The adrenaline usually gets me beyond 85.

-jk

Well, I think the whole weekend thing would require going too far in debt to the wife for having the kids alone for the relatively small payoff of DUke Football - it's not the final four or anything.

Re: HOV: do you know what time it switches over to Southbound? Is 2:15 significant in that regard?

SilkyJ
07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, I think the whole weekend thing would require going too far in debt to the wife for having the kids alone for the relatively small payoff of DUke Football - it's not the final four or anything.

Re: HOV: do you know what time it switches over to Southbound? Is 2:15 significant in that regard?

I believe they switch over at 1pm (they are completely closed from 11-1, I think) and more importantly, HOV is open to everyone southbound BEFORE 3:30, then from 3:30-6:30 it is only 3 or more people, so I think that was the significance. I used to do the same thing when I was in DC. See the schedule below...

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-novasched.asp

VaDukie
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
If any of you are Virginia residents traveling soutbound just remember the atrocious $3,000 potential speeding tickets.

-jk
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM

What SilkyJ said. I live in MD a little outside the beltway. It's about 30 or 40 minutes to the Mixing Bowl, then I need 20 minutes or so for the HOV. You're not allowed on it after 3:30 unless you have 3 people in your car - even if you got on it before then. Hence, 2:15 or so, with a small cushion for traffic. It works for 7:00 or 9:00 games.

I'm fond of the HOV lanes: they're posted 65 most of the way.

One nice thing - the HOV is usually northbound Saturday evening and all day Sunday, which helps with the traffic getting home.

-jk

Classof06
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's HOV?

DevilAlumna
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's HOV?

High-Occupancy Vehical -- usually the full name is HOV Lane(s) but it gets shortened. Usually followed by a number indicating how many people have to be in the car -- HOV-2 and HOV-3 being most common.

In DC, HOV lanes are also sometimes (on I-395 for example) limited access/exit express lanes, that switch traffic flow direction, depending on the time of day. (Inbound to DC in the AM; Outbound in the PM)

I was surprised, after my 15 years in the NoVA area to move out here and encounter non-HOV express lanes. Just seemed weird that there was this special roadway for speeding people through town, that wasn't carpool-limited.

Another annoying thing out here -- HOV lasts from 5AM to 7PM. No midday break. Though in DC, my friends and I referred to that as "granny time," and you didn't want to have to drive with them anyways.

duke2x
08-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I predict Homecoming will be a noon game and probably televised on Raycom. The Hokies draw pretty well on Raycom and are always picked up by ESPN/ABC for the other 7 ACC games. If it's untelevised, Homecoming is usually an early-mid afternoon start.

The Gordog
08-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I was surprised, after my 15 years in the NoVA area to move out here and encounter non-HOV express lanes. Just seemed weird that there was this special roadway for speeding people through town, that wasn't carpool-limited.

Another annoying thing out here -- HOV lasts from 5AM to 7PM. No midday break. Though in DC, my friends and I referred to that as "granny time," and you didn't want to have to drive with them anyways.

Where is "out here"? I like the idea of no mid day break, particularly for I-66 which is pretty bad during the day every day.