PDA

View Full Version : What does "signing with an agent" actually mean?

Kewlswim
04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi,

If a kid goes into an agents office and says, "When I go pro, you will be my agent" and the agent starts giving him advice about the draft isn't that the same as if he actually signs some piece of paper? If a kid goes to ask advice from an agent who stands to get a financial gain from the transaction in the future, isn't that the same as "signing" on the dotted line? I am not sure where signing and getting information from the person who will be the future agent really differs.

GO DUKE!

superdave
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi,

If a kid goes into an agents office and says, "When I go pro, you will be my agent" and the agent starts giving him advice about the draft isn't that the same as if he actually signs some piece of paper? If a kid goes to ask advice from an agent who stands to get a financial gain from the transaction in the future, isn't that the same as "signing" on the dotted line? I am not sure where signing and getting information from the person who will be the future agent really differs.

GO DUKE!

I would think a student-athlete could interview and consult with agents informally without stepping over the legal threshold of being contractually obligated to that agent. It's sort of like dating but still playing the field a little bit. But if you are in a committed dating relationship with the agent, you've signed a contract.

moonpie23
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
providing the kid with "advice and counsel" is a tricky situation, however, i'm sure those agents have a threshold of when they think a piece of paper is the next step....

superdave
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
providing the kid with "advice and counsel" is a tricky situation, however, i'm sure those agents have a threshold of when they think a piece of paper is the next step....

Yeah, I dont think an agent would give away too much of their time and effort without a signed piece of paper. Mason would have a little advantage though, considering Miles has already signed on with the agent.