PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 12, Syracuse 10

burnspbesq
04-01-2012, 06:27 PM
If you are 34 years old or less, you weren't alive the last time Duke beat Syracuse. The Orange are having something of a down year, but this is still a big, big win for the Blue Devils.

Rob Rotanz led the attack with four goals. Duke had the edge in faceoffs and ground balls, and the defense was great in the fourth quarter (for a change!), forcing several turnovers down the stretch with timely, aggressive double-teams.

Wiggy was MIA for three quarters, but really rose to the occasion in the fourth, including two saves of the "how did he do THAT" variety.

Next up: Marist at home on Saturday, before the big one in Hoovile on Friday the 13th.

chrishoke
04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Great win for Duke and an exciting, back and forth game to watch. After a slow start to the year Duke is 9-3 and playing its best lacrosse now with 6 wins in a row. Wiggy's biggest save was off his helmet from close range. Duke solidifies its place in the top 10.

MCFinARL
04-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I gather conditions were bad--slippery and wet. But as happy as I was Duke won this game, I saw a lot to be concerned about going forward.

First and most obvious, the goalie situation remains a giant question mark. One good quarter out of four isn't going to be enough at tournament time. But since Wigrizer stayed in through the first three very shaky quarters, I assume the staff felt it was better to stay with him than to use Turri or Rock, so he must be seen as the bets option at this point. Quint Kessenich said something about concussions or injuries affecting Wigrizer's practice--I thought I remembered that from last year but hadn't heard anything about it continuing into this year--does anyone know anything about that?

Otherwise, many, many turnovers and lots of sloppy passing. Again, weather might have had something to do with this--Syracuse also had lots of turnovers--but it's worrisome.

In other news, I'm not sure what has happened to Duke women's lax, which has lost three straight now. Is someone hurt on that team?