PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill to have knee surgery

Dukehky
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7754622/report-phoenix-suns-forward-grant-hill-needs-knee-surgery

He's supposed to return mid-April, but I think that this may be the end of a great career that could have been a phenomenal one without injuries.

Back to Durham!!!?

superdave
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7754622/report-phoenix-suns-forward-grant-hill-needs-knee-surgery

He's supposed to return mid-April, but I think that this may be the end of a great career that could have been a phenomenal one without injuries.

Back to Durham!!!?

Supposedly minor surgery. But I am guessing coming back next year will be a gametime decision in the fall. He's 39.

I dont think Grant will ever get into coaching. I could see him being a front office guy though. Just a hunch.

Reilly
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
... a great career that could have been a phenomenal one ....

Certainly has been great. Basically has had 12 or 13 full-ish seasons, w/ 5 others lost to injury. Grant has more than 17,000 points (#77 all-time in the NBA). He's #104 all-time in number of NBA games played.

For his long career, averages of 17.1 ppg, 6 rebs, 4.3 assists, 1.2 steals .... night in and night out for 17 seasons over 18 years.

If Grant could have had the lost 320-ish games at his 17 ppg scoring average, that's another 5440 points, and he would be around the top 30 all-time for NBA point total.

As is, he's played nearly 1000 games, and has 17000+ points .... maybe phenomenal even with the injuries ...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hillgr01.html

FerryFor50
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Certainly has been great. Basically has had 12 or 13 full-ish seasons, w/ 5 others lost to injury. Grant has more than 17,000 points (#77 all-time in the NBA). He's #104 all-time in number of NBA games played.

For his long career, averages of 17.1 ppg, 6 rebs, 4.3 assists, 1.2 steals .... night in and night out for 17 seasons over 18 years.

If Grant could have had the lost 320-ish games at his 17 ppg scoring average, that's another 5440 points, and he would be around the top 30 all-time for NBA point total.

As is, he's played nearly 1000 games, and has 17000+ points .... maybe phenomenal even with the injuries ...

Do you think he's HOF worthy at this point?

I think it's actually pretty close...

MChambers
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Scoring is probably the least of his strengths, too.

superdave
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Do you think he's HOF worthy at this point?

I think it's actually pretty close...

7 time All-Star
Rookie of the Year
1st team All-NBA once
2nd team All-NBA 4 times

Basketball Reference rates his HOF probability at 0.413 which seems about right. Were Grant to play more and add 2,000 more points, he'd be top 50 in points all-time, ahead of the likes of Pippen, Isiah, Rick Barry and Doctor J. That's compelling. At 10+ points per game, that is 2.5 seasons away though. Perhaps too tall an order for a 39 year old.

weezie
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Supposedly minor surgery.

May I humbly disagree? If it's the meniscus, it hurts like a son of a gun if they remove it and there isn't anything left to cushion that joint.
I have a pretty good idea about the pain he's probably been feeling. They'll likely do some general tidying up inside the joint, too. Can't imagine a guy his size running all the time afterwards.

But, front office, as in ownership, most def. He'd be superb.

Reilly
03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
... Basketball Reference rates his HOF probability at 0.413 which seems about right.....

Interesting to look at the list of probability and see folks who score lower than Grant and who are in the HOF, like ... Calvin Murphy, Dan Issel, Chris Mullin, Bill Walton, and David Thompson.

Then, look at the scores of players right around Grant who are not in the HOF: Mark Aguirre, Brad Daugherty.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

To me, Grant is Mike Mussina. Seems like he sort of should make it, but maybe not, and thinking he won't....

TheRose77
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Sunday night (April 1) at 10:00 p.m. Oprah's Master Class on OWN features Grant. He'll be talking about life lessons from the ankle surgery complications that almost killed him.

MCFinARL
03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
So sorry to see Grant Hill facing another injury setback, especially when he hasn't got a lot of time left as a player. I have tremendous respect for Hill, who seems to be a first-class human being in every way.

When she was little, my daughter (now 25) developed a series of crushes on athletes, whom she liked to imagine she would marry someday. Grant Hill was the first of these; given what we now know about the others (Allen Iverson, Tiger Woods, Brett Favre), I think she could have just stopped with Grant!

Dukehky
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM

I meant phenomenal as in top 50 player of all time phenomenal. I'm certainly not trying diminish his career in any way. Coming out of college he had the kind of athleticism and work ethic to be at least considered on Pippen's level, without the rings, because nobody was going to put Grant with a player like Jordan

Class of '94
03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
So sorry to see Grant Hill facing another injury setback, especially when he hasn't got a lot of time left as a player. I have tremendous respect for Hill, who seems to be a first-class human being in every way.

When she was little, my daughter (now 25) developed a series of crushes on athletes, whom she liked to imagine she would marry someday. Grant Hill was the first of these; given what we now know about the others (Allen Iverson, Tiger Woods, Brett Favre), I think she could have just stopped with Grant!

He'll back in the NBA next year imo. I watch a lot of Phoenix games via NBA league pass and he was quoted as saying that he wanted to play another couple of years. I think the shortened lockout season hurt him because he had knee surgery in September, then the shortened training camp and the heavy amount of games per week. Phoenix is still in the playoff chase; and if he returns in mid-April, he still has a solid chance of playing more games this season, especially if Phoenix makes the playoffs.

Class of '94
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Here is a link that the Suns website posted about the procedure. http://www.nba.com/suns/news/hill_procedure_120330.html

I'm not a doctor but the injury doesn't appear to be too serious since the procedure took about 30 minutes to repair the tear in the meniscus of Grant's right knee.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Vibes to Grant for a successful surgery and quick recovery! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

basket1544
03-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Grant's just gearing up for the next 20 years. :)

NSDukeFan
03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
I meant phenomenal as in top 50 player of all time phenomenal. I'm certainly not trying diminish his career in any way. Coming out of college he had the kind of athleticism and work ethic to be at least considered on Pippen's level, without the rings, because nobody was going to put Grant with a player like Jordan

I think your "at least" is appropriate as pre-injury I believe Hill was on a pace to have a greater career than Pippen, minus the rings, though he may have had the opportunity to make some playoff runs had he and McGrady been healthy together.

moonpie23
03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
good vibes to grant......loved reading the other thread about laettner talking about how awesome grant would have been sans injuries...