PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Nike Hoop Summit: Rasheed, Parker, Shabazz In

Newton_14
03-28-2012, 10:49 PM
The Nike Hoop Summit is always my favorite High School "All-Star" game each year as most years they play real basketball with both teams trying like heck to win. The rosters are now available, and the game is April 7th in the Rose Garden at 7pm (Pacific Time).

Congrats to Rasheed Suliamon for making the US team. Full Roster below.

•Kyle Anderson (St. Anthony H.S./North Bergen, N.J.)
•Archie Goodwin (Sylvan Hills H.S./Little Rock, Ark.)
•Gary Harris (Hamilton Southeastern H.S./Fishers, Ind.)
•Mitch McGary (Brewster Academy/Porter, Ind.)
•Shabazz Muhammad (Bishop Gorman H.S./Las Vegas, Nev.)
•Nerlens Noel (The Tilton School, N.H./Everett, Ma.)
•Marcus Paige (Linn-Mar H.S./Marion, Iowa)
•Tony Parker (Miller Grove H.S./Lithonia, Ga.)
•Rasheed Sulaimon (Strake Jesuit College Prep/Houston, Texas)
•Kaleb Tarczewski (St. Mark's School, Mass./Claremont, N.H.).

Link to full article (http://www.oregonlive.com/hoop-summit/index.ssf/2012/03/2012_nike_hoop_summit_us_roste.html)

gumbomoop
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Reminder - FYI, Nike Hoop Summit on TV, this Sat eve (4/7) at 10 EDT, FoxSportsSouth (ch. 646 on DirecTV).

This game is usually more interesting than most all-star games, and the World Stars have good players. Including both Anthony Bennett (2012, still undeclared) and, most interesting of all, 2014 top-rated Andrew Wiggins. Both are Canadian. Wiggins supposedly a Duke target.

Just looking at the roster of what's officially called the "USA Men's Junior National Select Team," I'd think Rasheed will get plenty of minutes.

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

Also, the following Sat (4/14, 7 EDT, ESPN), the Jordan Brand Classic, with Sulaimon and Heel trio, Brice Johnson, J.P. Tokoto, and (injured) Marcus Paige.

http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/featured-news/2012-jordan-brand-classic-team-announced.html

devildeac
04-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Just saw this morning in the Raleigh N&O that the unc recruit, Marcus Paige, has a stress fracture in his foot and will have surgery this week but is expected to be ready to play for the pasty blue folks this summer. Wonder if they'll replace him on the Nike Hoops Summit team.

gumbomoop
04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Just saw this morning in the Raleigh N&O that the unc recruit, Marcus Paige, has a stress fracture in his foot and will have surgery this week but is expected to be ready to play for the pasty blue folks this summer. Wonder if they'll replace him on the Nike Hoops Summit team.

Replaced by James Robinson, PG, a Pitt signee.

ETA: Maybe Rasheed will get some time at PG, unless they use Kyle Anderson as the other PG.

CDu
04-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Replaced by James Robinson, PG, a Pitt signee.

ETA: Maybe Rasheed will get some time at PG, unless they use Kyle Anderson as the other PG.

When I first looked at the roster, my thought was "there's no PG with Paige injured." I'd certainly expect Anderson to run some "Point Forward". But I'd also expect Sulaimon to handle the ball a good bit. And given how few guards are on the roster (just Robinson, Sulaimon, and Harris) I'd expect quite a few minutes for our guy.

gumbomoop
04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
When I first looked at the roster, my thought was "there's no PG with Paige injured." I'd certainly expect Anderson to run some "Point Forward". But I'd also expect Sulaimon to handle the ball a good bit. And given how few guards are on the roster (just Robinson, Sulaimon, and Harris) I'd expect quite a few minutes for our guy.

Yes, I'm thinking so, too. For one thing, only 10 guys total on team, rather than the usual 12. Then, as you say, very few guards. On a roster with but a single PG - and Robinson is not highly-highly rated, presumably added because he played at DeMatha for US asst coach - there's gotta be some PG-time for both Sulaimon and Anderson.

Although we might guess that the default mpg is 20/player [10 x 20 = 200], in fact I'd guess maybe 3 perimeter guys will get closer to 25, and my [second] guess is those 3 are Muhammad, Anderson, and Sulaimon.

Looking forward to seeing Wiggins; quite an honor for him, as he's only a rising junior.

Duke4life92
04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Reminder - FYI, Nike Hoop Summit on TV, this Sat eve (4/7) at 10 EDT, FoxSportsSouth (ch. 646 on DirecTV).

This game is usually more interesting than most all-star games, and the World Stars have good players. Including both Anthony Bennett (2012, still undeclared) and, most interesting of all, 2014 top-rated Andrew Wiggins. Both are Canadian. Wiggins supposedly a Duke target.

Yep,my son read on twitter that nolan was meeting up with rasheed and hopefully will be doing a little recruiting for us while bazz and tony are there :) recruit on mr smith.

Greg_Newton
04-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Just a heads up - don't think this was expected to be on local TV, but it's on Fox Sports South (#646 DTV in Durham) right now. I think tip may not be for a few minutes though.

Rosters: http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/rosters/

Small roster with only 4 guards, so look for Sheed to get plenty of burn in a legitimate, competitive game.

Bob Green
04-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Here is a stream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmK7FU43U8

Newton_14
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Just a heads up - don't think this was expected to be on local TV, but it's on Fox Sports South (#646 DTV in Durham) right now. I think tip may not be for a few minutes though.

Rosters: http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/rosters/

Small roster with only 4 guards, so look for Sheed to get plenty of burn in a legitimate, competitive game.

For those with Dish Network it is on Channel 440 in HD.

Greg_Newton
04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
These are the most awkward intros ever. Super dramatic cameraman?

ETA: James Robinson starting over Sulaimon at PG. Lame...

Newton_14
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
These are the most awkward intros ever. Super dramatic cameraman?

ETA: James Robinson starting over Sulaimon at PG. Lame...

Yeah, a bit over the top...

Greg_Newton
04-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice call not starting Sheed, Boyle. Off to a scintillating 0-10 start in favor of "The World".

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
This is miserable. Noel's hair is bugging me.

FerryFor50
04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Noel is a pretty darn good defender.

Parker is not as strong as I'd expect him to be...

FerryFor50
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
And the Wiggins kid from Canada is going to be goooood

gumbomoop
04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
According to announcers, Andrew Wiggins may re-classify from class of 2014 to 2013. That would mean that Duke would be chasing 2 superb SFs, Wiggins and Jabari Parker, in the class of 2013. Wiggins has looked really good in the first quarter, and he's easily the youngest guy out there, playing for World Team, as he is from Canada, I guess.

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 10:40 PM
We need K out there coaching these guys! The US doesn't need to be losing like this.

I like hearing Tony talk. He seems like a smart likable kid. I also like hearing him talk about his family being involved.

FerryFor50
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
We need K out there coaching these guys! The US doesn't need to be losing like this.

I like hearing Tony talk. He seems like a smart likable kid. I also like hearing him talk about his family being involved.

I also liked hearing him list Duke first when he talked about his college choices... :p

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
What number is Rasheed out there?

gumbomoop
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
What number is Rasheed out there?

He's # 5.

subzero02
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
How does Shabazz look? Is Rasheed running the point at all?

Greg_Newton
04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
How does Shabazz look? Is Rasheed running the point at all?

Shabazz has 22 of their 34 points. Taken a lot of shots, but really the only one attacking.

Sheed's hardly played, and has been ineffective when he's been in. Don't think this is going to be his game.

Bob Green
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
How does Shabazz look?

He has scored 22 points and has looked good doing it.

wgl1228
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
USA getting schooled by the Internationals. The Canadians have some talent!

FerryFor50
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Shabazz has 22 of their 34 points. Taken a lot of shots, but really the only one attacking.

Sheed's hardly played, and has been ineffective when he's been in. Don't think this is going to be his game.

Everyone but Shabazz and Noel looks overmatched out there. Kyle Anderson is holding his own, but the World team is pretty darn good. The kid from China, Wang, is a monster. And the Eastern Bloc kids are pretty good.

I really hope Duke goes hard after Wiggins, though.

BlueDevilBrowns
04-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Shabazz clearly playing on a different level than everyone else on USA right now. He's playing agressive and can physically dominate 1 on 1 offensively from what I've seen. He's a MKG clone.

While Sheed has struggled, Robinson has looked worse IMO.

subzero02
04-07-2012, 11:15 PM
How does Rasheed's defense look... I assume from the comments that he has tured the ball over and missed some shots

gumbomoop
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Shabazz clearly playing on a different level than everyone else on USA right now. He's playing agressive and can physically dominate 1 on 1 offensively from what I've seen. He's a MKG clone.

While Sheed has struggled, Robinson has looked worse IMO.

I don't disagree that Rasheed, like most of the US team in the first 2 quarters, has looked less than smooth, but I want to assure posters who can't see this game that Rasheed has plenty of talent.

The World team is working well together, and they're well-coached, given the short training period [I assume]. I will guess that the US will make a run of some sort.

I repeat: Rasheed doesn't "look" good compared to Shabazz or the really impressive Andrew Wiggins. But Rasheed will be very good at Duke, and will contribute substantially his first year. He is not overrated.

SupaDave
04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't disagree that Rasheed, like most of the US team in the first 2 quarters, has looked less than smooth, but I want to assure posters who can't see this game that Rasheed has plenty of talent.

The World team is working well together, and they're well-coached, given the short training period [I assume]. I will guess that the US will make a run of some sort.

I repeat: Rasheed doesn't "look" good compared to Shabazz or the really impressive Andrew Wiggins. But Rasheed will be very good at Duke, and will contribute substantially his first year. He is not overrated.

I agree.

Meanwhile, Kyle Anderson is getting plenty of opportunities to show where he needs to improve. Color me less than impressed. He's skilled but I can't see him making a kid want to go to school to play with him. He dominates the ball. His passes are rarely assists and he's had quite a few turnovers and fouls.

And will someone tell me why they are playing the Sanford and Son theme during the game?

SupaDave
04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Wang Zhelin is looking pretty beastly!! He's got game.

JBDuke
04-07-2012, 11:40 PM
According to announcers, Andrew Wiggins may re-classify from class of 2014 to 2013. That would mean that Duke would be chasing 2 superb SFs, Wiggins and Jabari Parker, in the class of 2013. Wiggins has looked really good in the first quarter, and he's easily the youngest guy out there, playing for World Team, as he is from Canada, I guess.

Please tell me that Wiggins's nickname is "Ender"...

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Come on Rasheed! I want him to start getting things done in this game. He can do it. I don't like having Kevin Boyle coaching this game. I know he is a good coach, but he hasn't taught them how to stop a pick and roll or a double screen at all so far.

Rasheed doesn't seem comfortable trying to penetrate yet. I hope he gets more aggressive later on.

JBDuke
04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Wow. Muhammad has some sweet moves. Loved that little hook in the low post near the end of the third quarter.

SupaDave
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Wiggins is like a mix of Dejuan Wagner, Dewayne Wade, and Allen Iverson. Wow. Just wow.

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
This production is starting to get on my nerves. Why show interviews? Rasheed just fed Shabazz after forcing the turnover! Nice D!

JBDuke
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Nice steal by our guy there and the dish to Muhammad for the jam. USA coming back!

Bob Green
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Sulaimon just demonstrated some strong on ball defense with a steal and then unselfishly gave the ball to Shabazz for a dunk.

gumbomoop
Rasheed has played all during this good comeback run by the US, I think because of his pressure D. Rasheed likes to play D.

Wiggins still looks real good. Ditto Muhammad.

I'm still posting because Rasheed just made a steal and instead of going in for a gimme dunk, fed it to Shabazz for the dunk.

Rasheed can play.

BlueDevilBrowns
Sheed with a nice steal and pass to Shabazz for the jam! Let's hop we see much more of that next year.

Gthoma2a
04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Rasheed has played all during this good comeback run by the US, I think because of his pressure D. Rasheed likes to play D.

Wiggins still looks real good. Ditto Muhammad.

I'm still posting because Rasheed just made a steal and instead of going in for a gimme dunk, fed it to Shabazz for the dunk.

Rasheed can play.

He has forced a couple of turnovers with his D. He caused them to throw it out of bounds after an inbound a few minutes ago.

Bob Green
04-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Sulaimon just knocked down a big 3-pointer!

BlueDevilBrowns
04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Wiggins is like a mix of Dejuan Wagner, Dewayne Wade, and Allen Iverson. Wow. Just wow.

Nice block by Wiggins, too. He's so NBA.

Gthoma2a
04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Turnover forced by Rasheed. Rasheed plays SO hard. He is going to be a very good player. His work ethic and athleticism are there (watching him move his feet on D shows that he has that ability).

Wiggins had his arm out. That should have been an offensive foul.

gumbomoop
04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Just trying to give non-viewers more info on Rasheed. Not only excellent defense to help key the US comeback, but he's played PG much of 2d half. I wouldn't say he has a great handle, but it's plenty good for a combo guard.

SupaDave
04-08-2012, 12:05 AM
It's actually looking like the USA adjusted and figured out their best line-up. This second half has been impressive.

And I think that last foul on Rasheed is a charge in the ACC...

Gthoma2a
04-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Rasheed's shot has been off tonight, but I think it has to do with nerves. Rasheed is a defensive powerhouse, though. We will have someone who can stick to a player trying to penetrate. That really makes me think he has the potential to do what Nolan did. If he works on his handle, he will be able to do the same things.

Greg_Newton
04-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Just trying to give non-viewers more info on Rasheed. Not only excellent defense to help key the US comeback, but he's played PG much of 2d half. I wouldn't say he has a great handle, but it's plenty good for a combo guard.

His handle's a lot like Nolan's; not quite natural like Kyrie's or Austin's, but long arms and has the same kind of moves.

But man, has he been playing his butt off on D. Best on-ball defensive effort by a Duke guard in years!

edunnjr
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
What's the score?

Gthoma2a
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
That's game...

Greg_Newton
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
What's the score?

Anthony Bennett just hit a desperation 30-footer at the shot clock buzzer to put the World up 6 with 13 seconds left.

Bob Green
04-08-2012, 12:13 AM
What's the score?

81-75 World Team.

Gthoma2a
04-08-2012, 12:14 AM
What's the score?

We're down 6. They have the ball... and we fouled.

Bob Green
04-08-2012, 12:21 AM
World Team 84, USA 75. It was an enjoyable game to watch and Rasheed Sulaimon demonstrated solid defensive skills. Shabazz Muhammad is the real deal. April 11th is only four days away. Come on Bazz, come to Duke!

Gthoma2a
04-08-2012, 12:33 AM
World Team 84, USA 75. It was an enjoyable game to watch and Rasheed Sulaimon demonstrated solid defensive skills. Shabazz Muhammad is the real deal. April 11th is only four days away. Come on Bazz, come to Duke!

Agreed. Rasheed is going to add several things that we didn't have last year. He is a guy that can shoot, pressure on D and prevent dribble penetration. This is not to mention that if he tightens up his handle enough, he has the foot speed to do some special things. He will fit INTO the offense at the combo spot. We won't have him playing around the offense like we did Austin this year. That could improve our offensive rhythm (not to mention that he causes turnovers that will lead to fast break points that we didn't get against better teams this past year).

Shabazz is just THE MAN! There is nothing that is beyond him.

I like Tony Parker from what I heard from him, but I didn't see him much. He would be a great kid to have, but I am starting to give in to the fact that he is not going to make an impact in his first year. I had held out that he was good enough from his size, but it was from watching him against high school players that were overwhelmed with his strength.

gumbomoop
04-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Because the US played so poorly in first 2 quarters, they needed their best pressure D in the last 15 minutes of the game. That meant "going small," with Noel, Muhammad, Anderson, Sulaimon, and a variety of 5th-players, but maybe mostly Archie Goodwin [UK].

That, in turn, meant not much PT in last half for McGary, Parker, or Tarczewski. Nor for Gary Harris [MichSt] or James Robinson [Pitt].

I'd say the US's D-comeback was led by Noel and Sulaimon. Bennett's Tyler Thornton-miracle 3 was the killer, followed by Kyle Anderson [who was exhausted, as was Sulaimon] missing 2 FTs that was sort of the US's last chance. Final score not the major story for EK readers. That would be:

1. Muhammad superb.
2. Sulaimon can play, all over the court: on-ball D, footwork, smarts, length, handle, shot [though not tonight], confidence.
3. Wiggins may re-classify from 2014 to 2013. If Jabari Parker is better than Wiggins, watch out.
4. Tony Parker a bit outclassed this eve, but he's got talent. Really nice interview, well-spoken, and did emphasize his family's role in recruitment decision.
5. Hope Noel doesn't land in Lexington.

FireOgilvie
04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Not surprised that the US team lost; this class is very underwhelming outside of Muhammad and Noel. Obviously, I hope Muhammad ends up at Duke. Muhammad is by far the best player in the class, and looks completely different than he did 1.5 years ago, when he had trouble hitting anything outside of 15 feet. Noel was dominated today by Wang, who will be a very high draft pick at some point. Wang has improved immensely since the last time I saw him while playing against Duke, when he only put up 7 pts, 3 rebounds. Noel tries to block every shot taken within 10 feet of him and he's frequently out of position. Noel would be smart to go somewhere besides Kentucky; he doesn't want to constantly be compared to Anthony Davis. Davis is/was much smarter and has a better feel for the game, in my opinion, although Noel has a ton of potential. I have no idea what to think of Kyle Anderson. He's talented, but I probably wouldn't want him running PG for my team. He needs to learn to play off the ball more effectively, because there is no way he runs an NBA offense. Andrew Wiggins is fantastic. I would love to see him play for Duke.

Sulaimon is better than what he showed tonight on offense, but his defense was very good. I'm really excited for him to come next year. I think he's going to play a lot of minutes.

roywhite
04-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Because the US played so poorly in first 2 quarters, they needed their best pressure D in the last 15 minutes of the game. That meant "going small," with Noel, Muhammad, Anderson, Sulaimon, and a variety of 5th-players, but maybe mostly Archie Goodwin [UK].

That, in turn, meant not much PT in last half for McGary, Parker, or Tarczewski. Nor for Gary Harris [MichSt] or James Robinson [Pitt].

I'd say the US's D-comeback was led by Noel and Sulaimon. Bennett's Tyler Thornton-miracle 3 was the killer, followed by Kyle Anderson [who was exhausted, as was Sulaimon] missing 2 FTs that was sort of the US's last chance. Final score not the major story for EK readers. That would be:

1. Muhammad superb.
2. Sulaimon can play, all over the court: on-ball D, footwork, smarts, length, handle, shot [though not tonight], confidence.
3. Wiggins may re-classify from 2014 to 2013. If Jabari Parker is better than Wiggins, watch out.
4. Tony Parker a bit outclassed this eve, but he's got talent. Really nice interview, well-spoken, and did emphasize his family's role in recruitment decision.
5. Hope Noel doesn't land in Lexington.

Thanks much for the report.

I watched parts of the first half where it looked more like an all-star game than a basketball game and didn't stick with it.

Didn't realize Wiggins was so good.

dukelifer
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks much for the report.

I watched parts of the first half where it looked more like an all-star game than a basketball game and didn't stick with it.

Didn't realize Wiggins was so good.

Wiggins is a phenom. And he is still only 17. Amazing talent.

dukelifer
04-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Rasheed will add a lot to this Duke team. He has very good lateral quickness and seems to glide around the court. Still not a finished product but you can see all the potential in this kid. Bazz is on another level. The guy just does not stop. His outside shot needs work to be elite- but he appears to be an excellent free throw shooter and has an amazing array of shots around the hoop. Setting the scoring record in that game is no easy feat- because the other team is actually playing some D. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. He will clearly play a lot at Duke should he choose to come. Same at KY. So it might come down to who he wants his teammates to be.

Bob Green
04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. He will clearly play a lot at Duke should he choose to come. Same at KY. So it might come down to who he wants his teammates to be.

Shabazz playing on the wing at Duke would free Andre Dawkins up to play at his natural shooting guard position along with Seth Curry and incoming freshman Sulaimon. We would be deep at the 2/3. Here is the game recap (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/12_hsum_game.html) and box score (http://www.usabasketball.com/photos/12_hsum_box_score.pdf) from the game.

gumbomoop
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Here is the game recap (http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/12_hsum_game.html)....

I encourage readers to check out the game recap, notable for its failure to mention Sulaimon. Because he didn't score much - and to be clear, his shot wasn't on - he gets no mention. But he was a major factor in the US comeback, particularly for his everywhere-D but also for his work in helping the US show some O.

Only if you saw the game might you be able to connect US Coach Kevin Boyle's emphasis on the US causing lots of turnovers in the second half, which enabled the US "to get back into the game," with Rasheed's and Noel's contributions. Neither of these key-D guys got a mention, whereas the "scribe" did note that Gary Harris and Archie Goodwin scored 8 and 7, respectively. Fine players to be sure, Harris and Goodwin, but it was Sulaimon and Noel who keyed the D.

The self-same scribe attributed Bennett's late miracle-3 to Andrew Wiggins, so unless several EK posters [including me] and the game commentators got it wrong, it was Bennett. OTOH, Wiggins's game was second only to Muhammad's, and, while not miraculous, was eye-poppingly good.

Rasheed was among the many US players who looked lousy, even overwhelmed, in the first half. Muhammad was the only exception. Second half, different story. Rasheed played almost entire 2d half. I'm sure he was kicking himself for missing some shots.

Hope it's not Muhammad, Noel, and Bennett to UK. Blech.

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
How is Sulaimon not Nolan 2.0?

-Loves to play D
-Works his tail off
-Offense is still a little raw
-Better than average 3pt shooter

I have a new man crush.

gumbomoop
04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Among the many, many pieces of unasked-for advice I'd give to the staff: Get lots of video of Aaron Craft, and make Rasheed [others, too, but especially Rasheed] watch and practice footwork, anticipation, quickness, angles, positioning, fight-through-picks.

Rasheed showed a bit of Craft's on-ball D in last night's game, so he might have it to become a Craft-clone true disruptor up top. Footwork, length, hands, and a tough, determined - somewhere between conscious and intuitive - willingness to absorb lots of hips, elbows, bumps.

G man
04-08-2012, 05:18 PM
How is Sulaimon not Nolan 2.0?

-Loves to play D
-Works his tail off
-Offense is still a little raw
-Better than average 3pt shooter

I have a new man crush.

I love Nolan but I hope Sulaimon starts his career out stronger than Nolan did. Nolan didn't blow up till he was a junior.

elvis14
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I love Nolan but I hope Sulaimon starts his career out stronger than Nolan did. Nolan didn't blow up till he was a junior.

I agree, we really need him to play big time next season. I really appreciate all the reviews of this play and I'm glad to hear that he's playing defense so well.

Johnny Chill
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I encourage readers to check out the game recap, notable for its failure to mention Sulaimon. Because he didn't score much - and to be clear, his shot wasn't on - he gets no mention. But he was a major factor in the US comeback, particularly for his everywhere-D but also for his work in helping the US show some O.

Only if you saw the game might you be able to connect US Coach Kevin Boyle's emphasis on the US causing lots of turnovers in the second half, which enabled the US "to get back into the game," with Rasheed's and Noel's contributions. Neither of these key-D guys got a mention, whereas the "scribe" did note that Gary Harris and Archie Goodwin scored 8 and 7, respectively. Fine players to be sure, Harris and Goodwin, but it was Sulaimon and Noel who keyed the D.

The self-same scribe attributed Bennett's late miracle-3 to Andrew Wiggins, so unless several EK posters [including me] and the game commentators got it wrong, it was Bennett. OTOH, Wiggins's game was second only to Muhammad's, and, while not miraculous, was eye-poppingly good.

Rasheed was among the many US players who looked lousy, even overwhelmed, in the first half. Muhammad was the only exception. Second half, different story. Rasheed played almost entire 2d half. I'm sure he was kicking himself for missing some shots.

Hope it's not Muhammad, Noel, and Bennett to UK. Blech.

I think the USA Coach made a mistake by tweaking the starting lineup in the last minute.
He started Kaleb Tarc at Center and James Robinson at PG, who was a late addition to the team. The USA got off to a horrible start on offense and defense.

Noel, proved that he is the best Center in this class, and while his offense is still raw, he showed the can make an impact with this defense. The other Centers didnt do anything on defense or offense, McGary, Parker, and Tarc all picked up fouls fast when they played.

Bazz is going to be good. He is pretty much going to beat players by simply being more physical than anyone.
Anderson is a good player, very versatile. Shaun Livingston 2.0, just slower.

Anderson and Bazz, were the 2 best players for USA and got a lot of burn together.

Sheed, didnt shoot the ball well at all, all of his shots were going long, maybe the international line played into it. But, I do like his defensive abilities. He is easily the best perimeter defender for Duke. He plays more like a combo guard, not a true PG, but can handle the ball. He is probably going to be better suited to play the 2.

I like Parker a lot, very physical, he isnt Brand or Sullinger right now. He needs a lot of work, but has the tools to be a good player.

Bennett reminds of me Brandon Bass. Undersize for a NBA PF, but in college he is going to beast.
Wiggins....well Duke needs to offer him right now. He has lots of talent and didnt back down from Bazz one bit.