PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on UK/UL Rivalry

KYtotheCore
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Good insight.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/18101267/heaven-help-the-losing-side-in-this-louisvillekentucky-grudge-match

Lord Ash
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Interesting, but really that is K on Duke/UNC, just applied to UK and L'ville.

weezie
03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Greg Doyel... how in the heck does that boob have a job?

Bluedog
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
You tricked my into clicking an article that was written by Gregg Doyel! :mad: haha. But, seriously, I realize that UK/UL is a big-time rivalry in Kentucky, but the fact that CBS decided to make it the undercard is a bit telling from a national perspective. No way in heck would CBS ever put a Duke-UNC Final Four matchup as the early game. Although I realize OSU-Kansas is also a marquee matchup and is projected to be more competitive. But, I agree with Coach K, it would be impossible to recover for the losing fanbase, so I don't wish for it either.

LSanders
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Armageddon, only bigger ...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7750560/the-life-death-attitude-kentucky-louisville-rivalry

My favorite Pitino quote (referring to something Calamari said earlier): "Four things I've learned in my 59 years about people," he said. "I ignore the jealous, I ignore the malicious, I ignore the ignorant, and I ignore the paranoid. If the shoe fits anyone, wear it."

Rich
03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
My favorite Pitino quote (referring to something Calamari said earlier): "Four things I've learned in my 59 years about people," he said. "I ignore the jealous, I ignore the malicious, I ignore the ignorant, and I ignore the paranoid. If the shoe fits anyone, wear it."

Then he followed it by saying, "Now a pretty woman in a restaurant after closing, that's something I NEVER ignore!"

weezie
03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
No way in heck would CBS ever put a Duke-UNC Final Four matchup as the early game.

Excellent observation Bluedoggy! As for me, I don't care if either, any or all fan bases recover. Let 'em all choke on it! :D

chris13
03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Interesting, but really that is K on Duke/UNC, just applied to UK and L'ville.

While I agree that Duke/UNC rivalry would never be the undercard, the fact that Pitino coached UK and then came back to coach L'ville does add an element Duke/UNC has never had. Imagine if Coach K had taken the NBA job he was offered in 1994, not done well, and then took the UNC job after Dean Smith retired in 1997 and THEN the 2 teams met in the Final Four.

I don't have any love for Pitino but dear God I hope Louisville can pull this off. I think if Calipari loses this game his motivation to escape to the NBA might rise significantly.

LSanders
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
No way in heck would CBS ever put a Duke-UNC Final Four matchup as the early game.

Just heard on ESPN that they have a rule ... They add the seeds, and the lower sum gets the second spot. So, KY-UL (1+4=5) gets the undercard and KS-OSU (2+2=4) gets the prime spot. Have no idea what they do with ties.

hurleyfor3
03-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Just heard on ESPN that they have a rule ... They add the seeds, and the lower sum gets the second spot. So, KY-UL (1+4=5) gets the undercard and KS-OSU (2+2=4) gets the prime spot. Have no idea what they do with ties.

I can think of at least two exceptions to this "rule", both of which involve Duke. (Left as an exercise for the reader.)

gumbomoop
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I can think of at least two exceptions to this "rule", both of which involve Duke. (Left as an exercise for the reader.)

My guess: Duke v. UNC, and Duke v. UK, no matter how high the sum in either case.

weezie
03-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Boy, that's a lot of heavy math for the pinheads at espn.....

hurleyfor3
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
My guess: Duke v. UNC, and Duke v. UK, no matter how high the sum in either case.

No, I meant years in the past when the higher sum went second. This definitely happened with Duke games twice, and I'm pretty certain it's happened on other occasions.

oldnavy
03-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Does ESPN have anything to do with CBS and the final four? I know ESPN and ABC are partners....

freshmanjs
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
No, I meant years in the past when the higher sum went second. This definitely happened with Duke games twice, and I'm pretty certain it's happened on other occasions.

wasn't duke-wva the first game and butler - mich state 2nd? (2010)

uh_no
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
wasn't duke-wva the first game and butler - mich state 2nd? (2010)

nope

subzero02
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Boy, that's a lot of heavy math for the pinheads at espn.....

Hahaha... They usually shy away from the complicated mathematical explanations(ie the BCS computer rankings) . This final four breakdown won't scare away too much of the general viewing audience.

subzero02
03-30-2012, 11:59 AM

What about Duke(2) vs. Florida(3) in 94? Didn't they play after arkansas(1) and arizona(2)?...

subzero02
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
2001 also... Duke(1) vs. Maryland (3)... Played after Arizona (2) and MSU (1)

Tjenkins
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
I lived in Kentucky's media market for 5 years and some of my best friends are UK fans. Their fanbase hasn't gotten over the 1992 loss in Philly.

But if Kentucky loses on Saturday, that loss will surpass the Laettner game as the most crushing loss in UK hoops history. Maybe that's stating the obvious, but I haven't heard this from Doyel or any of the other "experts" put it in those terms.

El_Diablo
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
A pretty cool picture of Churchill Downs:

Rich
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Does ESPN have anything to do with CBS and the final four? I know ESPN and ABC are partners....

No, no relation. They are competitors. According to http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main:

The Walt Disney Company owns the ABC Television Network, cable networks including ESPN, the Disney Channel, SOAPnet, A&E and Lifetime, 277 radio stations, music and book publishing companies, production companies Touchstone, Miramax and Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, the cellular service Disney Mobile, and theme parks around the world.

CBS Corporation owns the CBS Television Network, CBS Television Distribution Group, the CW (a joint venture with Time Warner), Showtime, book publisher Simon & Schuster, 30 television stations, and CBS Radio, Inc, which has 130 stations. CBS is now the leading supplier of video to Google’s new Video Marketplace.