PDA

View Full Version : iPad

Devildog
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Trying to decide between employer provided laptop v desktop and iPad.
Can the latest iPad be used for Powerpoint presentations?
Can the iPad open PDF's that are stored on a usb/flashdrive?

Highlander
03-26-2012, 01:23 PM

1) Yes, but you need a video adapter attachment, which is not included with the base unit. There is also an app (On Live Desktop) that allows you to edit docs via the full MS Office Suite. It isn't as easy or as elegant as a laptop, but if you just want to display things or review powerpoints this is fine. While you CAN do editing on an iPad, it's not easy or straightforward.

2) Believe so, but you need a camera adapter, which is not included with the base unit. Here is a video demo on how to do it with pictures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fumAV69dc) and here is one using the iFile app (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvKhx5Epm0&feature=related).

Devildog
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
1) Yes, but you need a video adapter attachment, which is not included with the base unit. There is also an app (On Live Desktop) that allows you to edit docs via the full MS Office Suite. It isn't as easy or as elegant as a laptop, but if you just want to display things or review powerpoints this is fine. While you CAN do editing on an iPad, it's not easy or straightforward.

2) Believe so, but you need a camera adapter, which is not included with the base unit. Here is a video demo on how to do it with pictures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fumAV69dc) and here is one using the iFile app (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvKhx5Epm0&feature=related).

Thanks for the reply. Having dug a little more into it, it sounds like you can plug in a flashdrive but likely can't access the contents if they are in microsoft word or excel.

Highlander
03-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. Having dug a little more into it, it sounds like you can plug in a flashdrive but likely can't access the contents if they are in microsoft word or excel.

Check out the On Live Desktop app - you have to upload your docs to a share which I think is possible via email, but then you can open and edit. You have to use a slightly different keyboard and it is a bit of a klooge, but it is possible.

I'm learning that the secret with Apple products is to "get what you get and don't throw a fit." Customization is difficult much of the time. Even simple things like setting up a mailing list require a workaround.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-26-2012, 05:28 PM
For those that know, how about using "Go To My PC", which has a free iPad ap, so you can run whatever program on your desktop PC and just watch it on your iPad? Does that actually work? That's what the ads imply.

bluebear
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
For those that know, how about using "Go To My PC", which has a free iPad ap, so you can run whatever program on your desktop PC and just watch it on your iPad? Does that actually work? That's what the ads imply.

I use it and it works pretty well for basic stuff. The controls are a little tricky to get used to but for basic editing or document creation, its good.

Channing
03-26-2012, 10:49 PM

so to go through a powerpoint presentation on the ipad I need to download this On Live Desktop App? Can I use the ipad to make a proper powerpoint presentation, flipping slide to slide?

-jk
03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
If you're using a go to my pc or similar remote to run a presentation, make sure you have good access to the Internet wherever you plan to give the presentation.

Nothing ruins a dog and pony show more than if you can't even bring it up.

Kills your credibility, too.

-jk

PensDevil
03-27-2012, 09:15 AM
You can also use Apple's Keynote app ($9.99) to play MS PowerPoint files locally on your iPad. You'll still need the video adapter to hook into a projector or tv. Getting the PowerPoint files to the device can be done in a number of ways: email attachment, downloaded from the web, through Apple's iCloud (a web based online storage service that is also integrated into Apple's iWork apps), syncing with your computer, etc...

Speaking of the iWork apps, Pages can work with Word documents and Numbers can work with Excel documents. Compatibility isn't 100%. Fonts are more limited on the iPad apps, as are some more advanced features. For basic presentations and document editing, they work okay though.

alteran
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

I think it's pretty important to note that this process requires jailbreaking the iPad. It's not entirely clear to me whether the OP is purchasing the iPad or the business. If the latter, I think it's very unlikely they would want it jailbroken for any reason.

And jailbreaking is also something many consumers would not be comfortable with doing, as it voids the warranty. You also cannot simply accept iOS updates automatically from Apple once jailbroken, as, at a minimum, they will un-jailbreak your device, stopping all your jailbreak software from operating.

Highlander
03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
so to go through a powerpoint presentation on the ipad I need to download this On Live Desktop App? Can I use the ipad to make a proper powerpoint presentation, flipping slide to slide?

You can view powerpoint slides on your ipad natively. However, they are read only. So I think you could use it to give a presentation if you had the right add-on's, but you couldn't edit it natively.

2) Believe so, but you need a camera adapter, which is not included with the base unit. Here is a video demo on how to do it with pictures and here is one using the iFile app.
I think it's pretty important to note that this process requires jailbreaking the iPad. It's not entirely clear to me whether the OP is purchasing the iPad or the business. If the latter, I think it's very unlikely they would want it jailbroken for any reason.

And jailbreaking is also something many consumers would not be comfortable with doing, as it voids the warranty. You also cannot simply accept iOS updates automatically from Apple once jailbroken, as, at a minimum, they will un-jailbreak your device, stopping all your jailbreak software from operating.

Interesting; did not realize this required a jailbreak. Agree that is probably outside of the comfort level of most consumers.

rthomas
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM
One thing you might consider is instead of a flash drive is to use Dropbox. You can get 2 GB free and can upgrade for more. You can put anything into it. You can put the ap on your phone or on your ipad. You can open it from any computer any where.

-jk
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
One thing you might consider is instead of a flash drive is to use Dropbox. You can get 2 GB free and can upgrade for more. You can put anything into it. You can put the ap on your phone or on your ipad. You can open it from any computer any where.

Same point I had with go to my pc - if you're giving a presentation that matters be absolutely sure you have a solid Internet connection before you depend on any sort of offline or "cloud" or whatever storage that's not physically with you. I've seen too many screwups where a connection couldn't be made.

When I was in the live event business, we always took two laptops with everything needed, and a couple projectors. And a long extension cord. We could walk into almost any situation and be able to do something, even if it wasn't exactly how it was planned.

-jk

cf-62
03-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Based on the answers in the forum, let me say three simple words:

Don't do it!

In reality, this can only backfire on you.

Even if it works, the prospect (or at least the group you're presenting to) sees you as an elitist rebel who had to throw the iPad in their face.
If there's even the slightest glitch, you'll be the apple-loving dolt that believes apple devices are more useful than they are
If there's big glitch, then your presentation goes off the rails.

I use my ipad to show presentations at trade shows, when I'm engaged one-on-one with somebody. In fact, doing this at a tradeshow where we gave away that very iPad made me fall in love with the device. It's the reason I bought me one - and my wife - and my dad.

For every other presentation situation, a laptop is a better choice.

Channing
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Based on the answers in the forum, let me say three simple words:

Don't do it!

In reality, this can only backfire on you.

Even if it works, the prospect (or at least the group you're presenting to) sees you as an elitist rebel who had to throw the iPad in their face.
If there's even the slightest glitch, you'll be the apple-loving dolt that believes apple devices are more useful than they are
If there's big glitch, then your presentation goes off the rails.

I use my ipad to show presentations at trade shows, when I'm engaged one-on-one with somebody. In fact, doing this at a tradeshow where we gave away that very iPad made me fall in love with the device. It's the reason I bought me one - and my wife - and my dad.

For every other presentation situation, a laptop is a better choice.

This is precisely why I have my ipad. I do legal work in the captive insurance company space and it is a difficult concept to explain over lunch; especially to non-tax folks. I think being able to go through a couple slides easily, and show a couple examples, would be very helpful.