PDA

View Full Version : Crowds shrink at DI basketball games

JG Nothing
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I thought some folks might find interesting this Chronicle of Higher Ed article on decreased attendance at DI basketball games.
http://chronicle.com/article/Basketball-Draws-Shrinking/131294/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en

SilkyJ
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Someone call Gregg Doyell. It must be the Crazies' fault. In fact, it was probably the Crazies' fault for not convincing Coach K to help Greg out with his book.

Wait, someone get Bernanke on the phone. I think Krzyzewskiville is the reason for the housing crisis.

mgtr
01-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Not a subscriber, so I don't know the major points they make. In my view, the advent of almost universal TV coverage (not necessarily broadcast or cable) means you can stay home and watch the game. Not the same, of course, but sure is a lot easier.

luburch
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Not a subscriber, so I don't know the major points they make. In my view, the advent of almost universal TV coverage (not necessarily broadcast or cable) means you can stay home and watch the game. Not the same, of course, but sure is a lot easier.

Not a subscriber either :(

I really enjoy live sports, but sometimes (more so with Football since it takes 45 hours) I'd just rather watch the game on my couch.

dukelifer
01-29-2016, 01:31 PM
I thought some folks might find interesting this Chronicle of Higher Ed article on decreased attendance at DI basketball games.
http://chronicle.com/article/Basketball-Draws-Shrinking/131294/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en

Strange article. 70 have seen a decline and 90 have seen a rise in ticket revenue over the past 4 years. Also ticket revenue is only 5-10% It does not really say if there has been a net decline in total revenue given the large TV contracts. Not sure this is a big deal but there is no question that there are options out there and you may be less likely to shell out $200 to see a game if you don't have confidence that your team will win. My guess is that shifts occur as teams lose over some period of time and then start winning again and vice versa. There is a ton of money in sport. Also many ADs could take a $160K paycut and hardly feel the pain to make up the difference should they want to do that.

BigWayne
01-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Didn't read the article, but I saw UNC is having to do internet specials (https://www.livingsocial.com/events/1573918-ticket-to-carolina-basketball-vs-syracuse) to sell tickets to their senior night game.

oldnavy
01-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I have a question for those of you that have children in the 8-15 year old range... are they interested in college basketball?

The reason I ask, it that when my kids were in that age group, it seemed like there was little to zero interest in following basketball within their peer group. I have one son that follows a college BB team and my other isn't interested at all in BB, but watches NFL games....

Of course when I was that age, I lived and died for the Duke games.... went to every home game and watched the ones that would be on the JP game of the week when they were not at home.

I have a gut feeling that we are in decline with regards to new, younger fans.... of course I have ZERO data that would support this and I hope it isn't true.

kmspeaks
01-29-2016, 06:16 PM
I have a question for those of you that have children in the 8-15 year old range... are they interested in college basketball?

The reason I ask, it that when my kids were in that age group, it seemed like there was little to zero interest in following basketball within their peer group. I have one son that follows a college BB team and my other isn't interested at all in BB, but watches NFL games...

Of course when I was that age, I lived and died for the Duke games... went to every home game and watched the ones that would be on the JP game of the week when they were not at home.

I have a gut feeling that we are in decline with regards to new, younger fans... of course I have ZERO data that would support this and I hope it isn't true.

For the 2010-2013 NCAA Tournaments I was working at a middle school and the kids there (12-14) had zero interest in the tournament. For the last 2 years I've been at a high school and noticed an interesting difference between my classes full of freshmen and those made up of juniors/seniors. The younger kids don't care, even when we filled out brackets and I told them they would win a prize if theirs was better than mine. The older ones have begged me to put tournament games on during class and are pulling up their brackets on their phones all of March asking me how mine is looking. At least where my students are concerned, it seems basketball isn't much of a draw until they get their driver's license - then they can't get enough.

fidel
01-29-2016, 06:19 PM
How did this thread get restarted almost 4 years later and never miss a beat?

sagegrouse
01-29-2016, 06:22 PM
How did this thread get restarted almost 4 years later and never miss a beat?

Time warp. Einstein was right.

-jk
01-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Search feature. We generally encourage it.

Necrophilia, not so much.

Let dead threads rest in peace. Start a new on, especially after a year or more... (Four? Ick!)

-jk