PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Optimism Thread

Gthoma2a
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I hear a lot of people talking negatively about Austin, next season, this season, etc. I am starting this thread for the purpose of looking on the bright side. Things to list are positive interpretations of recruits comments, video of players we have coming up, current players off-season work ethic for improvement or comments showing drive towards next year or anything that gets you motivated for our next Duke Men's Basketball game (stuff that may get you in trouble for posting in other threads).

I will start with Alex Murphy and Gbinije getting a shot to give us wings with a little more size (and the growth Gbinije will have). Alex is, in my estimation, going to be something special. He has a year of playing against our team, so he can only have gotten better. Gbinije has the game and just needs the confidence. I think that will come in time for him and sophomore year sounds like a good time to start showing that growth. He is so smooth of a player that he will be able to contribute. He has the athleticism to become a very good defender IMO.

If this is a bad idea, Mods I will totally understand killing it. I just felt that it may be good for morale to fill the void from an early exit and a likely early exit. I know that I, myself, am a little mixed about next year (fear of the unknown and the slow recruiting year; given that Rasheed is a high quality recruit).

MarkD83
03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I hear a lot of people talking negatively about Austin, next season, this season, etc. I am starting this thread for the purpose of looking on the bright side. Things to list are positive interpretations of recruits comments, video of players we have coming up, current players off-season work ethic for improvement or comments showing drive towards next year or anything that gets you motivated for our next Duke Men's Basketball game (stuff that may get you in trouble for posting in other threads).

I will start with Alex Murphy and Gbinije getting a shot to give us wings with a little more size (and the growth Gbinije will have). Alex is, in my estimation, going to be something special. He has a year of playing against our team, so he can only have gotten better. Gbinije has the game and just needs the confidence. I think that will come in time for him and sophomore year sounds like a good time to start showing that growth. He is so smooth of a player that he will be able to contribute. He has the athleticism to become a very good defender IMO.

If this is a bad idea, Mods I will totally understand killing it. I just felt that it may be good for morale to fill the void from an early exit and a likely early exit. I know that I, myself, am a little mixed about next year (fear of the unknown and the slow recruiting year; given that Rasheed is a high quality recruit).

This is a great idea. This time of the college basketball year is always filled with negativism. We celebrate when teams lose, fret over who will turn pro etc....

I am looking forward to seeing silent G get significant minutes, alex and MP3 on the court and rasheed. In fact these four (and hopefully a few more) are really Duke's recruiting class. The difference is three of them have already been through a year in the system.

One other point, is that we need to embrace that Duke is a guard/wing oriented team. What I want to see is if silent G, alex and rasheed can give us multiple slashers and better wing defense. Keep in mind Duke's championship teams were not full of dominate front courts but dominant wings that played great defense.

Edouble
03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind Duke's championship teams were not full of dominate front courts but dominant wings that played great defense.

Strongly disagree. Our championship teams had great, dominant frontcourts. Our championship teams were strong at every position.

Gthoma2a
03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

I meant the early exit and a likely early departure or two.

Gthoma2a
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Strongly disagree. Our championship teams had great, dominant frontcourts. Our championship teams were strong at every position.

Yeah, but the definition of dominant has changed for them. With the 2009 team, we had a dominant front court in defense and rebounding. Our wings were the skill players on the team that executed the sets to perfection. The bigs there were hard working players who feared nothing, knew their goals and refused to let anybody get the best of them on the glass or in the paint. They were great for that team, but would not have been considered "great" by the same standards that 1992/1993/2001 were. I'd like to get Parker just to have a little more depth on the inside. We could use it. That is not to mention that it would be a change of pace that could confuse our opponents. If we don't get him, Mason needs to stay to help his little brother handle the load on the inside. Ryan is a key, but we need more than two true bigs.

SoCalDukeFan
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
when we have Coach K.

Actually I think we will play better as a team. We will miss Mason(if he goes) more than Austin.

I can't wait for the season to start.

SoCal

Gthoma2a
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
This is a great idea. This time of the college basketball year is always filled with negativism. We celebrate when teams lose, fret over who will turn pro etc....

I am looking forward to seeing silent G get significant minutes, alex and MP3 on the court and rasheed. In fact these four (and hopefully a few more) are really Duke's recruiting class. The difference is three of them have already been through a year in the system.

One other point, is that we need to embrace that Duke is a guard/wing oriented team. What I want to see is if silent G, alex and rasheed can give us multiple slashers and better wing defense. Keep in mind Duke's championship teams were not full of dominate front courts but dominant wings that played great defense.

I appreciate our perimeter. I know that it is the trademark of Duke teams. I want to see us utilize the guys with athleticism next year. I think we can do it, too. This year was a big weird. We didn't really execute in the half court towards the end. We relied on isolation. That may have been to utilize Austin's ability to take defenders one on one. I look for K to start looking to execute traditional offense again with a lineup that is more versatile. I like the idea of recruiting players that have played with other top prospects on a regular basis. The reason for this is that they don't feel the pressure to BE the team. MKG and Kyrie were the best things that could have happened to one another because of that.

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
I always look forward to the improvements of the underclassmen just as much as seeing the new incoming freshman. It was a joy for example in recent years, to see the jumps that Gerald Henderson made, Freshman to Sophomore year, and Nolan made, Sophomore to Junior year. It's great watching that development.

Thus, I look forward to seeing Murphy, Gbinije, MP3, to name a few, next year. Even though we did not get a look at Murphy and MP3 beyond China and the exhibitions, we saw enough to know they needed growth. Murphy looked amazing to me in AAU ball attacking the basket from the wing. I look forward to the day he is comfortable enough and strong enough to do that in a Duke uni. Gbinije has incredible hops, and once he figures out how to use that ability effectively, he is going to be good. MP3 has lots of potential as a true back to the basket post guy, and just needs strength. Plus, he has a nasty streak in him, in that he is not going to back down. No one will ever label MP3 as soft.

I think all 3 of those guys have potential to be really good college players. Their day will come its just a matter of how soon. I am also excited about potentially adding the Ziegler kid.

The thing that will inspire me the most this spring though is to hear the news that Mason will return for his Sr year. We really need him back badly.

MarkD83
03-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Time to define positions. Keep in mind all of these guys are champions so I am not trying to demean any of their talents.

2010: Front court: Z, Lance, Miles --- Mason as a freshman; This team was driven by Jon, Nolan and Kyle. Perhaps Kyle is part of the front court but to me he was a wing.

2001: Front court: Sanders, Boozer, Battier (or was he a wing) Wings/Guards: Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon, James. This team was driven by Williams and Battier.

1991-92 (I am combining these): Front Court: Parks, Laettner, Hill (or was he a wing) Wings/Guards: Hurley, Davis, Thomas, Lang, Koubek...... This team was driven by Hurley and Laettner.

Although there are some back to the basket big men in there, guards and wings drove these teams.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Someone besides me started an Optimism thread? http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif I'm impressed! Great idea!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Chris Randolph
03-25-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm excited to see Seth, Andre and Ryan as seniors in the program. I for one have questioned the leadership skills of these guys but I know how being a senior and knowing this is your last shot brings out the best in you. I expect the 3 of them to have big seasons and if they do we could be in for a fun ride.

Gthoma2a
03-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Someone besides me started an Optimism thread? http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif I'm impressed! Great idea!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Much appreciated. I was just thinking to myself, a while ago, that in a year where we have a guy that people compare to Nolan coming in and a guy who has been referred to as Singler V 2.0 that just spent a year practicing our system, how could we be this down? It may be an uphill climb to get back into Final Four contention, but we have some very good players that will surely make it fun to watch along the way.

duke09hms
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Reasons for optimism: We have the pieces for a high-ceiling team and a title-contender if Mason comes back:

PG: Quinn backed up by Tyler
SG: Seth/Rasheed and hopefully Andre learns how to dribble (seriously what has the kid been working on the last two offseasons?)
SF: Mike/Alex
Post rotation: Marshall/Ryan/Josh/Mason?/Tony Parker?

If it's just Marshall/Ryan/Josh in the post with no Mason and no Tony, I'd be so happy to make it out of the first weekend.

If Quinn is serviceable on defense at PG, then he takes our team to a whole new level being a playmaking PG, but if we still have Seth/Tyler getting the bulk of the minutes at point, next year might not be pretty. Cmon Quinn, practice those defensive slides this summer.

Troublemaker
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Come to Duke, Bazz!

30 Jr Thorn............................................. ..[So Cook]
25 Sr Curry.............25 Fr Sulaimon.............[Jr Dawkins]
30 Fr Bazz..............10 So Gbinije................{Jr Zeigler}
30 Sr Kelly.............10 Fr Amile..................Jr Hairston
25 Sr Oriakhi..........15 Fr Murphy...............Fr MP3

Sulaimon's going to be a stud and our 6th man.

That team could get another 1 seed. Getting Bazz is the key.

ncexnyc
03-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Maybe we should hold off on this thread until we see exactly who will be on next year's team.;)

miramar
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe we should hold off on this thread until we see exactly who will be on next year's team.;)

we should have at least three returning starters (Kelly, Curry, and Thorton) and some experienced reserves (Dawkins, Cook, Hairston), so Coach K will have a good foundation to work with. All of them should show the natural improvement of one more year of experience, but I expect that in order to excel we will need Gbinije and the freshmen to make a solid contribution (Murphy, Marshall, Sulaimon). I'm optimistic all that can happen.

Edouble
03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Time to define positions. Keep in mind all of these guys are champions so I am not trying to demean any of their talents.

2010: Front court: Z, Lance, Miles --- Mason as a freshman; This team was driven by Jon, Nolan and Kyle. Perhaps Kyle is part of the front court but to me he was a wing.

2001: Front court: Sanders, Boozer, Battier (or was he a wing) Wings/Guards: Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon, James. This team was driven by Williams and Battier.

1991-92 (I am combining these): Front Court: Parks, Laettner, Hill (or was he a wing) Wings/Guards: Hurley, Davis, Thomas, Lang, Koubek...... This team was driven by Hurley and Laettner.

Although there are some back to the basket big men in there, guards and wings drove these teams.

I consider forwards and centers to be front court players. I think that is the standard definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_position

Singler is a front court player. He can play center, but not point guard. To me, he's very obviously a front court player. If Battier isn't a front court player, then I don't know what is. He's pretty much a small forward/power forward 'tweener with college PF size.

I consider a "wing" player pretty much the same thing as a small forward. A small forward is a front court player.

Teton Jack
03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
To me, the difference between Duke's good years and their so -so years is defensive intensity, that commitment that the other team is not going to score. I would encourage you to look at the video about the 1991-92 squad and, if you have it, re-run the video on the two 2010 Final Four victories. You see teams that were exceptional on defense. This year we were porously poor on defense. We can talk about athleticism but if the mind-set is "I can't wait to get the ball so I can score" we might as well be UNC or UK with John Wall's class. When we dominate teams and score effectively, it's because of our defense.

While I am an optimist when it comes to Duke basketball, the last half of the year we were not effective on defense. It's not that Duke couldn't play good defense but we were inconsistent and sometimes disinterested in it. Duke lost to teams that were willing to make that commitment.

CDu
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I consider forwards and centers to be front court players. I think that is the standard definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_position

Singler is a front court player. He can play center, but not point guard. To me, he's very obviously a front court player. If Battier isn't a front court player, then I don't know what is. He's pretty much a small forward/power forward 'tweener with college PF size.

I consider a "wing" player pretty much the same thing as a small forward. A small forward is a front court player.

I think the old-school definitions don't really apply anymore. The college game has evolved so much that the "frontcourt/backcourt" designations are in many ways obsolete. I think there are several distinctions:

Bigs: These are the guys who do the work inside defensively. They can have perimeter games, but their primary defensive assignments (and best skill sets defensively) are on the interior). Guys like Zoubek, the Plumlees, Kelly, McRoberts, Williams, Laettner, Brand, etc fit that mold.

Wings: These are guys who aren't really suited to play in the post but also aren't really distributors or primary ballhandlers. Guys like Redick, Henderson, Singler, James, Dunleavy, and Dawkins, Langdon, etc fit here.

Playmakers: These are the guys that make things happen with the ball in their hands. They usually play PG, but can sometimes be off-ball guys too. Guys like Duhon, Irving, Smith, Scheyer, Hurley, Williams, Dawkins, Avery etc fit here.

Sometimes we have guys who can span multiple roles. Battier, Hill, and Deng fit this description as guys who could play the post or the wing (or even playmaker in Hill's latter years).

Duke has historically done well when we've had a good playmaker, good length and athleticism at the wings, and a versatile PF who could defend both bigs and wings. The C spot has been variable in terms of offensive contribution, but typically this spot has not been a weakness on our better teams.

devildeac
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM

He heard you were OOT. As you know, Ozzie, you are often imitated but never duplicated ;>)) .

CDu
03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Lots of reason for optimism. We're still, in a "worst reasonable case" scenario, a sure-fire tournament team with at least one if not more All-ACC quality players returning and a couple of terrific players coming in. That's worst-case. There's also the chance that (a) another All-ACC player returns and/or (b) we get another recruit/transfer or two that change the dynamics of the team. We still have lots of talent, lots of experience, and a fantastic coach.

Granted, there are definitely some concerns. But I have nothing but optimism that Coach K will get them figured out.

davekay1971
03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I also see a ton of reason to look forward to next season. I'm still operating under the assumptions (and you know what an assumption makes out of u and me...) that Rivers really is gone, Mason is coming back, and that we may get Jefferson but will not get either Bazz or Parker. I see that as kind of a mid-view of possibilities - we don't lose both underclassmen, but we don't get all our targets either.

With that in mind how do we stand? Pretty well.

Issues:

1) The 1: We went this year without a really good solution at the point. We bring in no one new next year, but Quinn Cook could, and should, be a very different player next year than he was this year. Basically, he goes from being injured freshman to (hopefully) healthy sophomore. So, unless his evaluations as a recruit were wayyyyyyy off, we should have a very serviceable starting PG next season. Tyler is a worker, a classic lunchpail kid, but I think his ceiling is to be a defensive guy who can fill in at the point...he probably won't become a consistent scoring threat or a really good playmaker. Quinn needs to improve his D, but he all can see the potential, if he's healthy, and with work, to become a nice combo PG.

2) The 2: No Austin? Not going to say no problem, because an NBA talent is always good to have around. But Curry will be a senior and has shown that, while he does go into slumps, he can be a nice offensive threat. Dawkins has one more year to find the consistency and defensive effort he's been lacking. It'll be nice if he gets that going, but not essential. Sulaimon is a freshman, and with the rare exception (Irving, Rivers) you don't expect freshmen to carry the load...but from what we're hearing the kid can play, and he should compete for minutes at the 2.

3) The 3: I may be wrong, but I think Murphy is going to get a lot of minutes here. G should as well. 2 different guys, 2 strengths. We go from a team with no legitimate small forward, to a team with (assuming G and Murphy both develop their games over the summer) 2 legitimate small forwards.

4) The 4: Start Kelly, sub in Josh. I'll take that all day long. I'm excited to see what Kelly brings his senior year. The kid could very well be 1st team all-ACC.

5) The 5: Come on back, Mason. Starting Mason and subbing in Marshall will give us a very strong low-post. It'll also give Marshall a chance to develop without having to carry the load.

6) Defense: This will be the biggest question again, and there are a million questions here. Can Cook upgrade his on-ball D to keep himself on the court, where we will probably need him to keep the offense humming? Curry's not a bad defender, but he needs to improve. So does Dre (needless to say). How about Rasheed...is he ready to come play Duke D? How about Alex? G has the athleticism, and should be a very good defensive option at the small forward. Our interior guys get slammed for their D, but when the perimeter is letting guards into the lane, it puts the bigs into an almost impossible position. We need to improve our D at every position. Without a bunch of new bodies, can we do that? YES. Our D was NOT our problem the last 3 weeks of the season. We went from about Kenpom 100 to Kenpom 50. The guys were finally getting it. Now we bring most of them back. We need to be better. But we can be.

Hey, this team is not going to start the season top 5, we're not going to come in as a juggernaut. We're going to have to develop the talent we have. The five fingers will NEED to become that fist. But there is the potential there. For those who expect Duke to be the best team in the ACC and a final four contender coming out of the gate every season, you may want to look away and check the standings about February 1 to see if it's worth tuning in. For those of us who get excited about seeing the process of a team coming together, realizing that potential is not always filled but expectations are sometimes exceeded, it should be a really fun season.

If the underclassmen at Chapa Heeya all come back, UNC is going to be a beast. If, as I expect, Barnes and Henson go, UNC will be good, but will be at a level that I think Carolina, Duke, and (assuming the freshmen are as good as advertised) State will compete for the regular season title. 3 of the Big 4 fighting on roughly even terms in the ACC? Man, I'm expecting to start hearing Van Halen, Duran Duran, and Michael Jackson on Top 40 radio...

moonpie23
03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
an "optimist" is just someone who hasn't checked their email yet.....

i'm ALWAYS an optimist...

greybeard
03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but the definition of dominant has changed for them. With the 2009 team, we had a dominant front court in defense and rebounding. Our wings were the skill players on the team that executed the sets to perfection. The bigs there were hard working players who feared nothing, knew their goals and refused to let anybody get the best of them on the glass or in the paint. They were great for that team, but would not have been considered "great" by the same standards that 1992/1993/2001 were. I'd like to get Parker just to have a little more depth on the inside. We could use it. That is not to mention that it would be a change of pace that could confuse our opponents. If we don't get him, Mason needs to stay to help his little brother handle the load on the inside. Ryan is a key, but we need more than two true bigs.

Zoubek's screens made the offense. Those multiple screens, some of which were according to plan, others I['m sure were ad lib, were brilliantly executed. Zoubek's role in freeing the three scorers for open looks, taking and keeping the other team's center away from the basket opening passing lanes, and then beating the big back inside, getting rebounds and throwing them out for put back threes created an offense that nobody had seen before or since that was impossible to practice against, and more difficult than teams could even imagine to play against. Without Zoubek's role on offense, that team was an early out, as all the heads predicted, not recognizing how potent the "Zoubek" ffense was.

By the way, Zoubek's basketball IQ was a high as anyone else's on that team; his speed, determination, stamina, selflessness, and skill in setting multiple screens on nearly every half court set (how many fouls do you recall being called against him for setting an improper screen) were remarkable.

gep
03-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Zoubek's screens made the offense. Those multiple screens, some of which were according to plan, others I['m sure were ad lib, were brilliantly executed. Zoubek's role in freeing the three scorers for open looks, taking and keeping the other team's center away from the basket opening passing lanes, and then beating the big back inside, getting rebounds and throwing them out for put back threes created an offense that nobody had seen before or since that was impossible to practice against, and more difficult than teams could even imagine to play against. Without Zoubek's role on offense, that team was an early out, as all the heads predicted, not recognizing how potent the "Zoubek" ffense was.

By the way, Zoubek's basketball IQ was a high as anyone else's on that team; his speed, determination, stamina, selflessness, and skill in setting multiple screens on nearly every half court set (how many fouls do you recall being called against him for setting an improper screen) were remarkable.

ZOUBS!!! YES!!! I remember one game, where the color commentator specifically mentioned that Zoubs set 5 screens in one single possession, emphasizing on slow-mo replay, resulting in a score. Zoubs mastered his role. And getting the offensive rebound, and passing out to the open 3-point shooter... PRICELESS.

For next year... MARSHALL PLUMLEE!!!! Maybe not Zoubs role, but in his own role... YES!!!

GO DUKE!!!

NYC Duke Fan
03-27-2012, 04:40 AM
I also see a ton of reason to look forward to next season. I'm still operating under the assumptions (and you know what an assumption makes out of u and me...) that Rivers really is gone, Mason is coming back, and that we may get Jefferson but will not get either Bazz or Parker. I see that as kind of a mid-view of possibilities - we don't lose both underclassmen, but we don't get all our targets either.

Issues:

1) The 1: We went this year without a really good solution at the point. We bring in no one new next year, but Quinn Cook could, and should, be a very different player next year than he was this year. Basically, he goes from being injured freshman to (hopefully) healthy sophomore. So, unless his evaluations as a recruit were wayyyyyyy off, we should have a very serviceable starting PG next season. Tyler is a worker, a classic lunchpail kid, but I think his ceiling is to be a defensive guy who can fill in at the point...he probably won't become a consistent scoring threat or a really good playmaker. Quinn needs to improve his D, but he all can see the potential, if he's healthy, and with work, to become a nice combo PG.

2) The 2: No Austin? Not going to say no problem, because an NBA talent is always good to have around. But Curry will be a senior and has shown that, while he does go into slumps, he can be a nice offensive threat. Dawkins has one more year to find the consistency and defensive effort he's been lacking. It'll be nice if he gets that going, but not essential. Sulaimon is a freshman, and with the rare exception (Irving, Rivers) you don't expect freshmen to carry the load...but from what we're hearing the kid can play, and he should compete for minutes at the 2.

3) The 3: I may be wrong, but I think Murphy is going to get a lot of minutes here. G should as well. 2 different guys, 2 strengths. We go from a team with no legitimate small forward, to a team with (assuming G and Murphy both develop their games over the summer) 2 legitimate small forwards.

4) The 4: Start Kelly, sub in Josh. I'll take that all day long. I'm excited to see what Kelly brings his senior year. The kid could very well be 1st team all-ACC.

5) The 5: Come on back, Mason. Starting Mason and subbing in Marshall will give us a very strong low-post. It'll also give Marshall a chance to develop without having to carry the load.

6) Defense: This will be the biggest question again, and there are a million questions here. Can Cook upgrade his on-ball D to keep himself on the court, where we will probably need him to keep the offense humming? Curry's not a bad defender, but he needs to improve. So does Dre (needless to say). How about Rasheed...is he ready to come play Duke D? How about Alex? G has the athleticism, and should be a very good defensive option at the small forward. Our interior guys get slammed for their D, but when the perimeter is letting guards into the lane, it puts the bigs into an almost impossible position. We need to improve our D at every position. Without a bunch of new bodies, can we do that? YES. Our D was NOT our problem the last 3 weeks of the season. We went from about Kenpom 100 to Kenpom 50. The guys were finally getting it. Now we bring most of them back. We need to be better. But we can be.

Hey, this team is not going to start the season top 5, we're not going to come in as a juggernaut. We're going to have to develop the talent we have. The five fingers will NEED to become that fist. But there is the potential there. For those who expect Duke to be the best team in the ACC and a final four contender coming out of the gate every season, you may want to look away and check the standings about February 1 to see if it's worth tuning in. For those of us who get excited about seeing the process of a team coming together, realizing that potential is not always filled but expectations are sometimes exceeded, it should be a really fun season.

If the underclassmen at Chapa Heeya all come back, UNC is going to be a beast. If, as I expect, Barnes and Henson go, UNC will be good, but will be at a level that I think Carolina, Duke, and (assuming the freshmen are as good as advertised) State will compete for the regular season title. 3 of the Big 4 fighting on roughly even terms in the ACC? Man, I'm expecting to start hearing Van Halen, Duran Duran, and Michael Jackson on Top 40 radio...

Interesting post and I agree with some of your opinions.

My question though is , who is going to rebound if Mason leaves ? Actually who will rebound , other than Mason, even if he stays...Kelley, Marshall ?

As I said on another post, Coach K and staff should do everything they can to get Oriaki who would make a huge difference.

NashvilleDevil
03-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Does anyone else find it odd that this thread has only 2 pages while the thread discussing Duke's problems has 6 or 7?

MCFinARL
03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Does anyone else find it odd that this thread has only 2 pages while the thread discussing Duke's problems has 6 or 7?

Nah. It's the same reason the TV news reports on more murders than good deeds--bad stuff is just more compelling, for better or worse, than good stuff.

toooskies
03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Ryan has improved significantly the past 2 years, and I expect to see more next year.

Seth has the talent to be a great college guard.

Quinn is full of potential, as soon as he figures out defense and his knee recovers.

I fully expect to see a top 10 team next year, but I don't call that optimism. I was bullish on this team all year, and I like our returning players a lot. Especially now that they don't have to defer to a freshman.

Bluealum
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Issues:

So...wait...

A possible starting 5 of:

Quin Cook - Elite Passer who should improve his quickness and lateral speed following a year of rehab after knee surgery
Andre Dawkins - One of the purest shooters in the land with good size and athleticism as a senior with motivation to prove he can be consistent
Michael Gbinije - Physically gifted sophomore with smarts and a year of experience in the system
Ryan Kelly - Highly skilled 6-11(!) senior captain with a variety of skills, great range out to the 3 point arc and a high basketball IQ
Mason Plumlee - In the discussion as a 1st or 2nd team all American, one of the great rebounders in Duke history and also in the conversation as one of the most athletic bigs Duke has ever had

THAT is a starting 5 with skills, athleticism, and experience.

Oh...and we have a bench of:

Tyler Thornton - Tenacious defender and leader. Sets an example day in and day out. Relentless in practice and games, making his teammates better. Improving 3 pt. shooter
Seth Curry - Highly skilled and very crafty 5th year senior guard with excellent range and an improving mid-range shot. Known for steady/heady play and spurts of brilliance
Alex Murphy - Highly touted red-shirt freshmen, who is noted for his versatile skill set. Has very good size and is still growing. Added strength and familiarity with the system with the red shirt year.
Josh Hairston - Physical junior who has consistently exhibited great energy, good hands, and a good jump shot. Willing to mix it up and is a positive contributor in practice and in games.
Marshall Plumlee - Redshirt freshmen, with loads of moxie and a personality that exudes confidence. 7 footer with above average athleticism and a year of experience in the system.

Oh ... and we have recruits....

Rasheed and others, welcome to one heck of a team. The second 5 alone as starters would be in the upper division of the ACC next year with talent, experience, and skill.

Oh....and....er....we have a pretty good coaching staff with a man who leads the conversation on greatest basketball coaches of all time.

Nah, I don't think there is cause for optimism...!

CDu
03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
So...wait...

A possible starting 5 of:

Quin Cook - Elite Passer who should improve his quickness and lateral speed following a year of rehab after knee surgery
Andre Dawkins - One of the purest shooters in the land with good size and athleticism as a senior with motivation to prove he can be consistent
Michael Gbinije - Physically gifted sophomore with smarts and a year of experience in the system
Ryan Kelly - Highly skilled 6-11(!) senior captain with a variety of skills, great range out to the 3 point arc and a high basketball IQ
Mason Plumlee - In the discussion as a 1st or 2nd team all American, one of the great rebounders in Duke history and also in the conversation as one of the most athletic bigs Duke has ever had

THAT is a starting 5 with skills, athleticism, and experience.

Oh...and we have a bench of:

Tyler Thornton - Tenacious defender and leader. Sets an example day in and day out. Relentless in practice and games, making his teammates better. Improving 3 pt. shooter
Seth Curry - Highly skilled and very crafty 5th year senior guard with excellent range and an improving mid-range shot. Known for steady/heady play and spurts of brilliance
Alex Murphy - Highly touted red-shirt freshmen, who is noted for his versatile skill set. Has very good size and is still growing. Added strength and familiarity with the system with the red shirt year.
Josh Hairston - Physical junior who has consistently exhibited great energy, good hands, and a good jump shot. Willing to mix it up and is a positive contributor in practice and in games.
Marshall Plumlee - Redshirt freshmen, with loads of moxie and a personality that exudes confidence. 7 footer with above average athleticism and a year of experience in the system.

Oh ... and we have recruits....

Rasheed and others, welcome to one heck of a team. The second 5 alone as starters would be in the upper division of the ACC next year with talent, experience, and skill.

Oh....and....er....we have a pretty good coaching staff with a man who leads the conversation on greatest basketball coaches of all time.

Nah, I don't think there is cause for optimism...!

Considering that Curry was All-ACC last year, I'd be shocked if Dawkins started over Curry. Dawkins might start over Gbinije and Murphy at SF, but I really can't see Curry getting bumped from the starting gig. I'd also venture a guess that Murphy may push for a starting spot as well. There was lots of talk about him pushing for a starting job this past year before he decided to redshirt. I suspect with a year of development he'll be really pushing for that this coming year.

Other than that, though, I agree. Lots of reason for optimism. The team will likely have a very different look and feel from this past season. But I think it'll be a really good team. Especially if guys like Sulaimon and Murphy are as good as some are predicting.

Will it be a world-beater type of team? Probably not. But I fully expect us to compete for an ACC championship (especially if Leslie and a few UNCers go pro).

Losing Mason and not getting a replacement would make things tougher. But we'd still be a sure-fire tourney team and Top-25ish team without Mason. There's just a lot of really good players and a lot of experience.

Bluealum
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Considering that Curry was All-ACC last year, I'd be shocked if Dawkins started over Curry. Dawkins might start over Gbinije and Murphy at SF, but I really can't see Curry getting bumped from the starting gig. I'd also venture a guess that Murphy may push for a starting spot as well. There was lots of talk about him pushing for a starting job this past year before he decided to redshirt. I suspect with a year of development he'll be really pushing for that this coming year.

Other than that, though, I agree. Lots of reason for optimism. The team will likely have a very different look and feel from this past season. But I think it'll be a really good team. Especially if guys like Sulaimon and Murphy are as good as some are predicting.

Will it be a world-beater type of team? Probably not. But I fully expect us to compete for an ACC championship (especially if Leslie and a few UNCers go pro).

Losing Mason and not getting a replacement would make things tougher. But we'd still be a sure-fire tourney team and Top-25ish team without Mason. There's just a lot of really good players and a lot of experience.

CDU, I can't say I disagree that it is tough to have Curry come off the bench, but we do have 4 productive seniors (assuming Mason stays) there likely will be someone coming off the bench). I suggested that lineup in the 'optimism' thread, because there is so much anxiety over the 'eye test' of our physicality that we start reaching for recruits and transfers in our minds. If you look at a lineup with Quin, Andre, Mike, Ryan, and Mason that is a physically imposing lineup in my view. We are average to above average in height at 4 of 5 spots with inarguable athleticism. If Curry starts and Andre slides over, or if at noticeably slighter (now) Alex starts over Mike, it's not because we don't have the 'prototypical' athletes on our team. It's because we have players with such skill (Seth/Alex) that it is hard not to start them over more physically imposing players. In any case, if history is an indicator the starters will evolve over the course of the season and there will be some shuffling. It's part of the fun of watching the team grow. This year watching the late emergence of Miles was a real pleasure and one of the good memories from the season.

We have all the talent in the world. What makes a great team is talent and a special chemistry. When that mix occurs it is sublime to watch it develop.

COYS
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Issues:

This is an excellent post. Unfortunately, I have to spread the love before I can give you sporks for it. The staff faced some tough decisions this past season. None of our perimeter players emerged as a defensive cog while none of their possible replacements (Mike, Quinn) were quite ready to handle the load. We had to go for offense over defense because putting the more physically imposing players like Mike did not give us a defensive boost and also hurt our offense. I anticipate that we will not have to make such compromises next season. Mike, with his physical ability and another year to develop his skills, will be ready to compete for real minutes. Alex has already received some love from the coaching staff and will also compete from the get-go. I don't expect Rasheed to star for Duke his freshman year, but if his physical ability allows him to play defense in a similar fashion to freshman-year Nolan (14.7 mpg), it would not be surprising to see him earn some significant minutes, as well. Seth and Ryan will be a year older and a year better. Same goes for Josh and Tyler. The team will need to gel, just as you stated, but I think the talent is there for a contender, especially if Mason returns.

COYS
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
This is an excellent post. Unfortunately, I have to spread the love before I can give you sporks for it. The staff faced some tough decisions this past season. None of our perimeter players emerged as a defensive cog while none of their possible replacements (Mike, Quinn) were quite ready to handle the load. We had to go for offense over defense because putting the more physically imposing players like Mike did not give us a defensive boost and also hurt our offense. I anticipate that we will not have to make such compromises next season. Mike, with his physical ability and another year to develop his skills, will be ready to compete for real minutes. Alex has already received some love from the coaching staff and will also compete from the get-go. I don't expect Rasheed to star for Duke his freshman year, but if his physical ability allows him to play defense in a similar fashion to freshman-year Nolan (14.7 mpg), it would not be surprising to see him earn some significant minutes, as well. Seth and Ryan will be a year older and a year better. Same goes for Josh and Tyler. The team will need to gel, just as you stated, but I think the talent is there for a contender, especially if Mason returns.

One other quick note. A lot of people are concerned about rebounding. I agree that it will be a bit of a concern, but this year was interesting because we got little help from our guards in the rebounding department and didn't have the size at the 3 spot to rebound. Again, with Mike and Alex getting more time next year, we will probably have a better chance of grabbing more boards from our perimeter spots which will help fill the void left by Miles (and possibly Mason).

MCFinARL
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
CDU, I can't say I disagree that it is tough to have Curry come off the bench, but we do have 4 productive seniors (assuming Mason stays) there likely will be someone coming off the bench). I suggested that lineup in the 'optimism' thread, because there is so much anxiety over the 'eye test' of our physicality that we start reaching for recruits and transfers in our minds. If you look at a lineup with Quin, Andre, Mike, Ryan, and Mason that is a physically imposing lineup in my view. We are average to above average in height at 4 of 5 spots with inarguable athleticism. If Curry starts and Andre slides over, or if at noticeably slighter (now) Alex starts over Mike, it's not because we don't have the 'prototypical' athletes on our team. It's because we have players with such skill (Seth/Alex) that it is hard not to start them over more physically imposing players. In any case, if history is an indicator the starters will evolve over the course of the season and there will be some shuffling. It's part of the fun of watching the team grow. This year watching the late emergence of Miles was a real pleasure and one of the good memories from the season.

We have all the talent in the world. What makes a great team is talent and a special chemistry. When that mix occurs it is sublime to watch it develop.

Maybe you know something I don't know (I don't live in Durham and don't see the players in person), but I'm surprised to hear Alex described as "noticeably slighter" than Mike. On the roster he is an inch taller and 15 pounds heavier. I believe I have read that he has grown a little taller over the course of the year; that might make him "slighter" inch for inch, but unless he has lost weight or Mike has gained a lot, I'm not sure Mike would be more physically imposing than Alex.

CDu
03-27-2012, 10:56 AM

I'd say we'd be more likely to see a starting lineup of Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije/Murphy, Kelly, and Mason than we are to see a lineup of Cook, Dawkins, Gbinije/Murphy, Kelly, and Mason. I just don't see any way a fifth-year senior who was All-ACC last year isn't a starter next year (not saying he's guaranteed a job - just that he's likely to continue to earn that job). While Dawkins is taller, bigger, and a better leaper, he's not really shown to be any more imposing than Curry in my opinion. Maybe he changes that next year.

In any case, I agree that we have tons of talented players next year. It's just a question of how the talent fits together and who steps up.

Kedsy
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
One other quick note. A lot of people are concerned about rebounding. I agree that it will be a bit of a concern, but this year was interesting because we got little help from our guards in the rebounding department and didn't have the size at the 3 spot to rebound. Again, with Mike and Alex getting more time next year, we will probably have a better chance of grabbing more boards from our perimeter spots which will help fill the void left by Miles (and possibly Mason).

I think it depends. If Mason leaves and we don't get Parker or Oriakhi, I think we'll see a significant portion of the game with Ryan at the 5 and Alex at the 4. If Mike is playing the 3 during those minutes, then I agree with you. If not, we'll have similar perimeter-rebounding issues as we had this season. If Mason or Parker or Oriakhi are part of our big man rotation, and thus Alex plays more at the 3, then I also agree with you.

BleedsP287
03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I can't imagine Seth not starting next year, he is arguably our best returning player, esp if Mason goes pro. But yeah, we have loads of talent, and the future is bright.

CDu
03-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I think it depends. If Mason leaves and we don't get Parker or Oriakhi, I think we'll see a significant portion of the game with Ryan at the 5 and Alex at the 4. If Mike is playing the 3 during those minutes, then I agree with you. If not, we'll have similar perimeter-rebounding issues as we had this season. If Mason or Parker or Oriakhi are part of our big man rotation, and thus Alex plays more at the 3, then I also agree with you.

Yup. We'll be a very strong rebounding team if we have one of Mason or Oriakhi (I'm not yet sold on Parker, but could be convinced) and one or more of Murphy, Gbinije, Muhammad, or Zeigler at the SF spot. I think we could still be a strong rebounding team if we lose Mason and don't get Oriakhi/Parker IF some (not necessarily all, though it'd be nice) of the following happen:

1. Marshall is ready to play 15-20 solid minutes at C
2. Hairston is ready to play 20-25 solid minutes at PF
3. Gbinije and Murphy are both ready for significant minutes
4. We get Muhammad or Zeigler

If we go into next year with the team as is it's very possible that we're an even worse rebounding team.

In other words, getting stronger rebounding from the SF position will go a long way toward offsetting the loss of the Plumlees (whose rebounding prowess may already be somewhat offset by Marshall, Kelly, and Hairston). If we don't get stronger rebounding from the 3 spot, it'll be critical that we get a strong inside rebounding presence at the 5 spot.

Kedsy
03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
(I'm not yet sold on Parker, but could be convinced)

My thinking on Parker if he chooses Duke (and Mason leaves and we don't get Oriakhi) is he could get 5 or so rpg in 15 to 18 mpg. But it's not just those 5 rebounds. If Parker can play 15 to 18 minutes, then Alex Murphy would get more of his minutes at the 3 (instead of almost all his minutes at the 4, which is what I think would happen if our only "true" bigs are Ryan, Marshall, and Josh), and Alex at the 3 will lead to more rebounds for the team. Thus, Tony Parker in the rotation leads to more Duke rebounds. Does that make sense?

ncexnyc
03-27-2012, 01:23 PM
I can see why this is the optimism thread. I'm seeing the words if and may throw around quite a few times.

During the year a number of members were screaming for Silent G. They were always shouted down with the he's not anywhere near ready yet, which I understand based on what we saw.

I do find it strange that suddenly those who were quick to point out his lack of ability to grasp our schemes are touting him as magically being able to contribute and in a significant way next season.

Alex and Marshall are two other kids who haven't played one college game and again certain members are looking for these two youngsters who are totally unproven to provide us with solid contributions.

Of course I understand there isn't a whole lot for us to actually discuss now that the season is over, but I'd hate for us to build these kids up so high in the off season with false expectations that come next season should things not pan out people decide these kids weren't good and want to tear into them.

I guess what I'd like to see is for us to temper our expectations for the kids that our on the roster and let them actually show us what they can or can't do before we make any grand pronouncements.

CDu
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
My thinking on Parker if he chooses Duke (and Mason leaves and we don't get Oriakhi) is he could get 5 or so rpg in 15 to 18 mpg. But it's not just those 5 rebounds. If Parker can play 15 to 18 minutes, then Alex Murphy would get more of his minutes at the 3 (instead of almost all his minutes at the 4, which is what I think would happen if our only "true" bigs are Ryan, Marshall, and Josh), and Alex at the 3 will lead to more rebounds for the team. Thus, Tony Parker in the rotation leads to more Duke rebounds. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. If we have two guys who can log reasonable minutes at C in Marshall and Parker (say, 30-35 mpg combined?), then Kelly and Hairston can play most (if not all) of the remaining minutes at PF and C. That frees Murphy up to play the 3 with Gbinije and/or whomever else warrants minutes there.

Part of me is still intrigued by the idea of Murphy playing the 4 with Gbinije and/or Zeigler/Muhammad at the 3. I do wonder if the increased quickness at the PF spot along with increased size and toughness at the SF spot would change the dynamics in such a way that offsets the loss in size and true post play. That said, I'd also be just fine if Murphy could spend most of his time at the 3.

CDu
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I can see why this is the optimism thread. I'm seeing the words if and may throw around quite a few times.

During the year a number of members were screaming for Silent G. They were always shouted down with the he's not anywhere near ready yet, which I understand based on what we saw.

I do find it strange that suddenly those who were quick to point out his lack of ability to grasp our schemes are touting him as magically being able to contribute and in a significant way next season.

Alex and Marshall are two other kids who haven't played one college game and again certain members are looking for these two youngsters who are totally unproven to provide us with solid contributions.

Of course I understand there isn't a whole lot for us to actually discuss now that the season is over, but I'd hate for us to build these kids up so high in the off season with false expectations that come next season should things not pan out people decide these kids weren't good and want to tear into them.

I guess what I'd like to see is for us to temper our expectations for the kids that our on the roster and let them actually show us what they can or can't do before we make any grand pronouncements.

It's not a thread for expectations. I expect us to be very good next year even if the "ifs" don't pan out. We likely won't be as good as usual in that scenario, but we'll still be really good relative to D-1 basketball teams (still top 20-30, safely in the tournament).

But again, it's a thread for optimism. So the "ifs" are part of the equation in such a thread. If you want to talk about what you expect to happen, I suggest a "Expectations for 2012-2013" thread instead.

Matches
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Historically we've seen that for most guys, they improve more between their freshman and sophomore years than at any other time. At that point they've had a full year in the system and have the whole summer to work on improving deficiencies in their game. So I don't think it's out of line to be optimistic that those three guys will improve pretty markedly over this summer.