PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Collins is offered and takes the Illinois job?

lilblue
03-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Does Wojo work with the guards? What happens with Nate, does he move over to the bigmen? Or do we go after Laettner? What're we looking at here?

buddy
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM
K hires Trey Ziegler's dad, who as a staff member can have tuition remitted for his son, who enrolls at Duke but does not need a basketball scholarship, so can be a team member without the need to free up a scholly. (Just kidding!)

Devilsfan
03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe Doc offers Capel a position and we can bring Hurley, Paulus or JWill in. Paulus i believe has helped Craft turn into what we all expected Greg to be while he was here. He might be an even better coach than point guard.

lilblue
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Does Illinois even have an interest in Collins?

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
News flash. Wojo switched over to coaching the PG's earlier in the season. Capel and Nate worked with the bigs.

Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot. If they stick to that route it seems Capel would have a better chance than Chris. No clue if Capel is on their list or if he would have interest.

Edouble
03-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Maybe Doc offers Capel a position and we can bring Hurley, Paulus or JWill in. Paulus i believe has helped Craft turn into what we all expected Greg to be while he was here. He might be an even better coach than point guard.

Is this whole post a joke? That's not a rhetorical question. I don't know where the part about Doc offering Capel a job is coming from.

It wouldn't be that hard for Paulus to be a better coach than he was a point guard, considering he left Duke a shooting guard. I would think the credit for Craft's development would go to Coach Thad Matta. Paulus isn't even a "coach" for Ohio State. Unless I am mistaken, he is a video coordinator.

I do not think any of those 3 guys would be in the Duke bench if Collins were to take the Illinois job. Jdub has a cushy ESPN job. Hurley is working with his brother. Paulus is just not that great of a basketball mind/hire for us IMO.

I think your post is a joke, the more I think about it, but maybe I am wrong.

lilblue
03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
News flash. Wojo switched over to coaching the PG's earlier in the season. Capel and Nate worked with the bigs.

Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot. If they stick to that route it seems Capel would have a better chance than Chris. No clue if Capel is on their list or if he would have interest.

Thanks for that info, I hadn't heard that. It seems that I'm not the only one, Tony Parker is under the impression that Wojo is still the big man coach. That's according to his "Round Table" article. Somebody call that kid quick?

kingboozer
03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Does Wojo work with the guards? What happens with Nate, does he move over to the bigmen? Or do we go after Laettner? What're we looking at here?

Yes please! I'd love to get some of that old Duke swagger back in Durham!

wilko
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot.

Perhaps Chris could say "I know who I am. I'm the Coach playin' the Coach, disguised as another Coach!"
Sorry - seemed like a great paraphrase to my fave "Tropic Thunder" line..

Dukehky
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
I would absolutely love Laettner back, especially after I watched the back to back documentary, but I don't think he's a coach. Laettner's a-holeness is great as a player, you don't want to have another player show you up like Laettner did to his teammates, so you do your best to get back at him by playing better. As a coach, I'm not sure that's exactly what you want. Could he be great? yeah probably, but he could also be really, really bad. I could see kids not wanting to play for Laettner.

I don't think the Duke coaching ring changes a lot if Collins roles out. I think Capel and Wojo are the clear cut number 2's, and then Nate pops in at the 3 spot, and maybe we bring Carrawell back to do whatever he did last year. Whatever happens, I don't want Collins to drag Jabari Parker to wherever he goes, but I would really like to see a mix-up from the old system. I'm not saying I want somebody who didn't play for Duke, but I would like to see someone outside of the 2000 Duke teams (time trends). I think Hurley would be great, but he's not going to leave Danny, who I believe he really enjoys being around and above all else, I want to see Bobby Hurley enjoying himself, he's been through enough.

Chris Randolph
03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
I hope Coach Collins is able to land a big job. I would hate to see him go for selfish reasons as I think he has had a profound impact on Duke basketball. I know it has been discussed throughout the season but he seemed to have a lot of input on the bench, in play calling, the lineup. So obviously he played an important role. Not sure what would happen but I'm certain that as long as Coach K is making the calls, Duke will be just fine.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Mmmmm.... I missed this shift in assignments. When did it happen? Nate's job description (as he described it throughout the last month of the home season) included no coaching or recruiting duties. During the tournament practices, Wojo ran those for the big men.

CDu
03-26-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure that's accurate. Last I heard, Wojo was still working with the bigs (at least based on reports that discussed his work with Mason and Miles). James isn't even officially an assistant coach this year (he had to be reassigned when Capel came on board). I haven't seen anything to suggest that Wojo isn't still the big man's coach.

Matches
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
It wouldn't be that hard for Paulus to be a better coach than he was a point guard, considering he left Duke a shooting guard. I would think the credit for Craft's development would go to Coach Thad Matta. Paulus isn't even a "coach" for Ohio State. Unless I am mistaken, he is a video coordinator.

This is correct. Unless someone has inside information on Ohio St., crediting Paulus with the development of their players seems like a gigantic reach.

CDu
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

I would say that Kraft's progress as a player is all due to Kraft himself, and it was done prior to coming to OSU. It certainly hasn't been due to Paulus. Here are Kraft's numbers at OSU:

2011: 29.6mpg, 6.9ppg, 4.8apg, 2.9rpg, 2.0spg, 2.1tpg, 46.1% fg, 37.7% 3pt fg, 72.7% ft
2012: 32.0mpg, 8.8ppg, 4.7apg, 3.3rpg, 2.5spg, 2.2tpg, 50.7% fg, 34.4% 3pt fg, 71.1% ft

Basically, he's a slightly better player than he was last year. He was an elite defender last year and he was an elite defender this year. I don't see a whole lot of development being done - either by Matta or by Paulus.

superdave
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
I would have to assume that if any of the 3 assistants leaves, Nate James would officially become an assistant coach again.

The question would then be whether Chris Carrawell comes back to Durham to take the non-assistant assistant role. He's currently an assistant in the D-League.

CDu
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I would have to assume that if any of the 3 assistants leaves, Nate James would officially become an assistant coach again.

The question would then be whether Chris Carrawell comes back to Durham to take the non-assistant assistant role. He's currently an assistant in the D-League.

That would be the logical sequence. James would return to an official assistant's role and probably take over Collins's recruting duties.

moonpie23
03-26-2012, 11:46 AM
if chris leaves, i hope he goes to a place where he can mold the system and win......i think he's got a great BB mind....

Newton_14
03-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure that's accurate. Last I heard, Wojo was still working with the bigs (at least based on reports that discussed his work with Mason and Miles). James isn't even officially an assistant coach this year (he had to be reassigned when Capel came on board). I haven't seen anything to suggest that Wojo isn't still the big man's coach.

Will post the link tonight after work. May have been a temporary move or something but it definitely happened. The source is Coach K. (And I know Nate is not an official assistant coach at this point but he is still allowed to attend practices like C-Well did when he was in the role. Nate did help with the bigs the year he was a fulltime assistant)

1999ballboy
03-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I assume that Nate James will be bumped back up to being an official assistant. Might be a nominal change more than anything.

Whether Coach K decides to fortify his bench with additional positions similar to the one Nate held this year, I'm not sure. Chris Spatola is already something of a "special" assistant. Chris Carrawell may be offered his old job back after working with the women's team this year. Or we could see someone new entirely.

mkline09
03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
If Collins leaves I'm all for having James take one of those assistant spots on a full time basis as his role did shift. I also wouldn't object to having K bring back Christian Laettner. He may not want to coach, I thought I heard he wanted to get into it and if he does I think he'd be a great fit. After watching the 91-92 Back to Back Documentary and listening to that guy talk and watching him in the clips at practice with the new guys I think he'd be a great addition. He is a winner, he has an attitude that exemplifies Duke Basketball to the core. He would push the guys and make the realize you have to earn the respect that comes from playing at Duke. You work for what you get, you aren't given anything. I'm sure K will make the right choice though he often does.

Verga3
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Since this all pure speculation, I would opine that Capel will get a head coaching offer that he would seriously consider before Collins. Chris will get a job and he will be successful wherever it is. Bump Nate to full assistant. He is a great representative of Duke and a formidable recruiter. Not sure how Christian would be as a Duke assistant. Would excitement be infused into the program...absolutely. Best fit...not sure. Chris Carrawell would be welcomed with open arms. Wonder if Battier retires after Miami wins it all?

loldevilz
03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
PAULUS!! PAULUS!! PAULUS!!

Imagine how mad our fan base would be if we had Wojo AND Paulus as coaches.

Duvall
03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
PAULUS!! PAULUS!! PAULUS!!

Imagine how mad our fan base would be if we had Wojo AND Paulus as coaches.

Who cares?

tdrake51
03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I have always wanted Grant Hill to come back when he was done playing. I also didn't predict he would still be playing at such a high level at this point.

Newton_14
03-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Mmmmm.... I missed this shift in assignments. When did it happen? Nate's job description (as he described it throughout the last month of the home season) included no coaching or recruiting duties. During the tournament practices, Wojo ran those for the big men.

Attached is the link. It is audio from Coach K's daily "Duke Basketball Report", which is a 3 minute audio interview daily during the season with Coach K and Bob Harris. It was not an "Official Announcement", and it may have been a temporary deal or something, but K does say that at that time Wojo had been working with the PG's and Capel with the bigs.
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=821823&ATCLID=205346230&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200 ("[url)"

My Nate comment came from practice I attended in 2010. When they split into groups Nate and Wojo went with the bigs (C-Well was down there as well) and Collins and K were with the guards. I know Nate is not one of the 3 official assistants, but when he was, he worked with the bigs. I would assume he still works with those guys in whatever capacity he is allowed.

Devilsfan
03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
When Nate and Chris were told they would be reassigned our coaching seamed to change. Funny all I saw was what appeared to me to be A bit of a team chemistry problem I have never seen before on a Coach K Duke squad. Just one fan's opinion, however FWIW.

Edouble
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I have always wanted Grant Hill to come back when he was done playing. I also didn't predict he would still be playing at such a high level at this point.

Don't know if you say this in the sense that you are fantasizing or if you hope it really happens, but I don't think this would ever happen. With his personality, looks, talent, and money, I think Grant's first post-NBA gig will be much bigger than an assistant college basketball coach. The guy has an art collection and millions of dollars. It's like MJ taking a Carolina assistant coaching gig. Seems like a lot to ask for.

Bluedog
03-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Looks like the Illini snatched up Ohio's Groce, according to sources:

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x221016255/Sources-Illini-expected-to-hire-Groce

Groce was 34-40 in the MAC, finishing in 9th, 9th, 5th, and 3rd in the league in his four seasons. Bruce Weber was 89-65 in the Big Ten (a slightly harder league than the MAC ;)), finishing 1st twice, 2nd twice, 4th twice, 5th once, and 9th twice. I don't really see how this is much of an upgrade, but who knows...Seems like it's just a flavor of the minute hire.

So, sounds like Collins will be staying at Duke.

CDu
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Looks like the Illini snatched up Ohio's Groce, according to sources:

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x221016255/Sources-Illini-expected-to-hire-Groce

Groce was 34-40 in the MAC, finishing in 9th, 9th, 5th, and 3rd in the league in his four seasons. Bruce Weber was 89-65 in the Big Ten (a slightly harder league than the MAC ;)), finishing 1st twice, 2nd twice, 4th twice, 5th once, and 9th twice. I don't really see how this is much of an upgrade, but who knows...Seems like it's just a flavor of the minute hire.

So, sounds like Collins will be staying at Duke.

Well, we could discuss the trend being negative with Weber and positive with Groce. Weber took over a stacked Illinois team recruited by Bill Self and progressively missed on many elite recruits. He's been trending in the wrong direction.

But it's certainly a case of striking while the iron is (sort of) hot. But that doesn't necessarily mean Groce can't do the job. It will be interesting to see how it works out with Groce (a former NC State assistant under Sendek). Illinois has high expectations of their basketball coach, and Weber just didn't meet them.

Illinois should be a good job. The campus is in the middle of nowhere, but it still should have prime access to two great recruiting spots (Chicago and St. Louis). Weber hasn't been able to leverage that proximity at all. Maybe Groce will fair better.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Attached is the link. It is audio from Coach K's daily "Duke Basketball Report", which is a 3 minute audio interview daily during the season with Coach K and Bob Harris. It was not an "Official Announcement", and it may have been a temporary deal or something, but K does say that at that time Wojo had been working with the PG's and Capel with the bigs.
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=821823&ATCLID=205346230&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200 ("[url)"

My Nate comment came from practice I attended in 2010. When they split into groups Nate and Wojo went with the bigs (C-Well was down there as well) and Collins and K were with the guards. I know Nate is not one of the 3 official assistants, but when he was, he worked with the bigs. I would assume he still works with those guys in whatever capacity he is allowed.

Can't get this link to work. Would you post it again, please?

tdrake51
03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Don't know if you say this in the sense that you are fantasizing or if you hope it really happens, but I don't think this would ever happen. With his personality, looks, talent, and money, I think Grant's first post-NBA gig will be much bigger than an assistant college basketball coach. The guy has an art collection and millions of dollars. It's like MJ taking a Carolina assistant coaching gig. Seems like a lot to ask for.

It was much more fantasy than hope. I'm sure he will be very successful in whatever he does after his playing days are over.

Chicago 1995
03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Well, we could discuss the trend being negative with Weber and positive with Groce. Weber took over a stacked Illinois team recruited by Bill Self and progressively missed on many elite recruits. He's been trending in the wrong direction.

But it's certainly a case of striking while the iron is (sort of) hot. But that doesn't necessarily mean Groce can't do the job. It will be interesting to see how it works out with Groce (a former NC State assistant under Sendek). Illinois has high expectations of their basketball coach, and Weber just didn't meet them.

Illinois should be a good job. The campus is in the middle of nowhere, but it still should have prime access to two great recruiting spots (Chicago and St. Louis). Weber hasn't been able to leverage that proximity at all. Maybe Groce will fair better.

I didn't think Chris was a viable candidate at Illinois because of his lack of head coaching experience.

Compared to Groce, I wish he would have been. It's an uninspiring hire that the Illinois fan base is at best apathetic about. I'm not impressed at all.

Huh?
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Who cares?

Recruits

CDu
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I didn't think Chris was a viable candidate at Illinois because of his lack of head coaching experience.

Compared to Groce, I wish he would have been. It's an uninspiring hire that the Illinois fan base is at best apathetic about. I'm not impressed at all.

I agree. Illinois has progressively worked their way down the mid-major coaching ladder in their last 3 hires (Self to Weber to Groce). It would have been gutsy to go with a guy with no head coaching experience. But I'm guessing that Collins is as capable a recruiter and has certainly gotten as good if not better training as an assistant. Groce seems like a "catching lightning in a bottle" hire. Those frequently don't work out well.

It's a shame, too, because Illinois has a nice basketball tradition and is in a very talent-rich recruiting area. I'm not sure why they keep going cheap on their basketball coach hires.

Johnny Chill
03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
If Collins gets the Illini job, he brings Wojo with him to coach the Bigs.

Duvall
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
It's a shame, too, because Illinois has a nice basketball tradition and is in a very talent-rich recruiting area. I'm not sure why they keep going cheap on their basketball coach hires.

Is their athletic department facing a money crunch? Hard to see that in the Big Ten.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I assume that Nate James will be bumped back up to being an official assistant. Might be a nominal change more than anything.

Whether Coach K decides to fortify his bench with additional positions similar to the one Nate held this year, I'm not sure. Chris Spatola is already something of a "special" assistant. Chris Carrawell may be offered his old job back after working with the women's team this year. Or we could see someone new entirely.
I reported this back in October, just after it happened. I spoke with Chris Carrawell at the Duke HOF induction ceremony, and that's when he told me he had taken the D-League assistant coaching job, which was facilitated by Billy King, even though Billy is no longer with the 76'ers. He was very happy and excited to be moving into a "real" coaching position, rather than being in a "nebulous assistant" position. Chris's last position at Duke was with the Duke Women's team, not with the men's team.

Chris Spatola is the Director of Basketball Operations, not a "special" assistant. See page 49 here: http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/2011-12_Duke-MBB_Staff--35-56.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200

(http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/web-docs/2011-12_Duke-MBB_Staff--35-56.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200)