PDA

View Full Version : Becca Ward, Three-Time NCAA Champion

burnspbesq
03-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Becca on her third NCAA individual saber championship.

That has to put her pretty high on the list of accomplished Duke athletes, male or female, any sport.

cspan37421
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
That has to put her pretty high on the list of accomplished Duke athletes, male or female, any sport.

Pretty high? Does anyone have four? Does anyone else even have 3?

Wow, that's amazing, and that's the kind of saber-rattling that we can all be proud of!

Bluedog
03-23-2012, 05:10 PM

Wow, that's amazing, and that's the kind of saber-rattling that we can all be proud of!

First woman to win three times in sabre. Fifth women overall in NCAA history to win three fencing championships. Don't know if anybody has ever won four. Congrats! What an accomplishment!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205402819&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Lord Ash
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Crazy. Then again, she is an Olympian and pretty far beyond a lot of her competition at the college level.

Fencing has now contributed what... four NCAA titles? As many as basketball! Coach Beguinet and Coach K... two peas in a pod!:)

devildeac
03-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Very sharp observation;).

Congrats to Becca who visited us at our Brunchgate tent last year. Very nice young lady.

chrishoke
03-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Congrats Becca. Amazing.

fitimi1
03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
First woman to win three times in sabre. Fifth women overall in NCAA history to win three fencing championships. Don't know if anybody has ever won four. Congrats! What an accomplishment!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205402819&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Anna Grzebian and Jennifer Pandolfi won three Championship rings during their careers at Duke as members of the Women's Golf Team. And Coach Brooks has won five NCAA championships.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Very sharp observation;).

Congrats to Becca who visited us at our Brunchgate tent last year. Very nice young lady.

Congrats and thank you for being a Dukie, Becca! Visit us again at our tent next fall. :cool:

cspan37421
03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Anna Grzebian and Jennifer Pandolfi won three Championship rings during their careers at Duke as members of the Women's Golf Team. And Coach Brooks has won five NCAA championships.

Thanks for that info! She joins very select company. I wasn't counting coaches - obviously Coach K has 4. Just individuals who were on championship teams or who won NCAA titles in individual competition.

Reminds me of my 10th Duke reunion ... met a classmate, with whom I had several math classes, who went on to fence in the Olympics and now coaches at Duke - Leslie McFarland Marx. Women's fencing was completely off my radar, and I felt bad for not knowing of her tremendous success in that realm, but I was very happy for her and glad to see her again. Holy crap, I see she got a PhD in econ too. Wow. Another amazing Dukie.