PDA

View Full Version : Could Miles pull a Paulus?

roboguy
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Let's assume that Miles may not be a great NBA prospect. Yes he is good and has potential at the next level but certainly not a sure thing. What about the possibility of him using his considerable athletic ability as a tight end for Coach Cut? Could he do what Paulus did and take a fifth year in another sport? Does he have any football background? Others have made the switch and played in the NFL.
Discuss….

UrinalCake
03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
We discussed this earlier this season here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27190-Basketball-players-in-the-NFL-Miles-next)

I wouldn't count out his NBA prospects. He's going to put him great numbers at the combine, he's a hard worker and willing to defend, rebound, and do the dirty work. Almost any team could just a guy like that off the bench.

superdave
03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Miles has the athleticism to play in the NBA. His hands and footwork are the issue. I think he could bounce around the NBA a few years, ultimately landing in Europe. But he can make money playing basketball. 6'10'', fit and a really good leaper.

If he went the football route, he'd be wise to play a year in college someplace. I am not sure a 6'10'' would work. Any football experts out there care to comment? But he's got the build, the work ethic, the leaping ability to do what Jimmy Graham has done. I'd question route running ability, blocking ability and hands.

CDu
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Miles has the athleticism to play in the NBA. His hands and footwork are the issue. I think he could bounce around the NBA a few years, ultimately landing in Europe. But he can make money playing basketball. 6'10'', fit and a really good leaper.

If he went the football route, he'd be wise to play a year in college someplace. I am not sure a 6'10'' would work. Any football experts out there care to comment? But he's got the build, the work ethic, the leaping ability to do what Jimmy Graham has done. I'd question route running ability, blocking ability and hands.

I'm not sure Miles has the build (yet) for it. Graham was shorter (6'7" ish) and stouter (250+). Athletically, though, Miles has the gifts. But as you said, he'd probably need at least a year of college ball under his belt.

I agree that he's better off pursuing his basketball future. With his size and ahtleticism, he can play basketball for at least a few years overseas or in the D-League. And if he finds his offensive game, he certainly has the size and athleticism to play in the NBA. With Miles, it's always been a question about basketball skills and basketball IQ - not about physical ability or size.

Lord Ash
03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
There is nothing to indicate that Miles Plumlee A) could play high level football with no prep or previous experience, or B) that he would WANT to. I am not sure why this would even come up.