PDA

View Full Version : Furman Bisher (1918-2012)

throatybeard
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
It's not often I read the obit of someone who is 93 and react with surprise when they die, but I thought that dude was indestructible. More so than Celestine Sibley.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7707594/longtime-atlanta-journal-constitution-sportswriter-furman-bisher-dies-93

Not a real good guy when it came to racial issues (read Howard Bryant's book on Henry Aaron), but I guess a product of his time. I enjoyed his columns growing up in Georgia in the 1980s and earl 1990s.

Duke76
03-19-2012, 10:06 PM
It's not often I read the obit of someone who is 93 and react with surprise when they die, but I thought that dude was indestructible. More so than Celestine Sibley.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7707594/longtime-atlanta-journal-constitution-sportswriter-furman-bisher-dies-93

Not a real good guy when it came to racial issues (read Howard Bryant's book on Henry Aaron), but I guess a product of his time. I enjoyed his columns growing up in Georgia in the 1980s and earl 1990s.

I think he definitely changed/grew over time from those days...he was a real pleasure read each and every time he showed up in the paper.

He will be missed down here, now have to put up with more Bradley and a couple more tarhole supporters....what's new...sometimes I think there are more heel sympathizers down here than bulldogs

hurleyfor3
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Not to make fun of the dead, but his name makes more sense spoonerized.

throatybeard
03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Well, everyone hates us everywhere, but I thought Bradley was a UK guy.

sagegrouse
03-20-2012, 12:11 AM
I met him at Duke in the 1960's. There was a two-day seminar on campus publications and the student organizer's father knew Bisher and got him to come. Smart; seemed like a good guy. BTW the organizer was from Atlanta and her given names were Scarlett O'Hara.

sagegrouse

PaIronDuke
03-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I met him at Duke in the 1960's. There was a two-day seminar on campus publications and the student organizer's father knew Bisher and got him to come. Smart; seemed like a good guy. BTW the organizer was from Atlanta and her given names were Scarlett O'Hara.

sagegrouse

Furman Bisher was a legendary sports-writer at the Charlotte Observer and Atlanta Journal, very much in the mold of Smith Barrier, Dick Herbert, and other southern writers who more commonly wrote their best columns about football. A North Carolinian (Denton, NC), he wrote a number of Grantland Rice-quality columns on teams coached by Bobby Dodd, Wallace Wade, General Neyland, etc., and seemed to raise his efforts when writing about Duke-Tech football games. He was of an era when some sports-writing approached being an art, and he will be missed, among others, at those colorful annual get-togethers ( if they still occur) in Salisbury.

Should be some great yarn-swapping up there, 'bout now. Re-read some of his columns if you want to encounter quality writing. R.I.P. Mr. Bisher............(dots courtesy of Add Penfield!)

Reilly
03-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Bisher had a small role in the Wally Butts/Bear Bryant/Saturday Evening Post Supreme Court case:

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/4/27/1412599/rbr-reading-room-fumble

AsiaMinor
03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Not to make fun of the dead, but his name makes more sense spoonerized.

Another problem with being a "Yhankee" is the we never have these lyrical names.

luvdahops
03-20-2012, 06:15 PM
My favorite recollection of Bisher is his refusal to call Steve Spurrier by name, instead referring to him only as the "Evil Genius", a reflection of the fact that his Florida teams beat Georgia like a drum. And that Steve can, of course, be less than gracious in victory.