PDA

View Full Version : Penny Hardaway: Middle School Basketball Coach

COYS
03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
This story is just too good of a basketball story not to post on this board (http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/us/penny-hardaway-memphis-school/index.html?hpt=hp_c1). No movie has drawn up a scenario quite like this.

Acymetric
03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Even without the incredible comeback win, that is a great story. Good for Penny and good for those kids; more people (myself included) should be more like that more often.

I was too young and uninterested in the NBA when Hardaway was a star so I never really knew much about him but sounds like a great guy.

Edouble
03-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Even without the incredible comeback win, that is a great story. Good for Penny and good for those kids; more people (myself included) should be more like that more often.

I was too young and uninterested in the NBA when Hardaway was a star so I never really knew much about him but sounds like a great guy.

He was very talented, but had a (in my opinion, well-earned) reputation for being a bit soft. Along with Grant Hill, Vince Carter, and a few others, he was one of those in the mid/late-90s labelled the "Next Jordan".

He attended Memphis State, before they changed their name.

Starter
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
He was very talented, but had a (in my opinion, well-earned) reputation for being a bit soft. Along with Grant Hill, Vince Carter, and a few others, he was one of those in the mid/late-90s labelled the "Next Jordan".

He attended Memphis State, before they changed their name.

That's literally the first time I've ever heard Penny called soft. Want to explain that to me? I remember him being one of the best players in the NBA before his knee went on him.

(Sorry, you touched a nerve -- Penny was my first-ever basketball jersey, and I interviewed him in October.)

SupaDave
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
But with little Penny's this time.

I think about these stories every time I see a post in which someone bases a season on accolades alone. It's so much MORE than just a game.

For many of us, basketball is more than just something we watch on TV. It's a way of life. The triumphs, the defeats, and the lessons learned. It pays our bills. Sends us to school. Keeps us in shape and helps to keep the mind focused. And in many cases, it's also an escape...

Just like at Duke University, Penny is trying to create great men - not just great basketball players.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/us/penny-hardaway-memphis-school/index.html