PDA

View Full Version : Political writer John Harwood on Duke hoops

JasonEvans
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Mike Corey, a frequent contributor to these boards, has a blog on Duke hoops and he recently interviewed (http://dukeland.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/talking-duke-basketball-with-john-harwood78/) Duke alum/NYTimes political writer John Harwood. There are some interesting moments. Among them--

Obviously basketball has been really important in Obama’s life and still is. So no doubt he enjoys it (with help from Reggie Love, as you know). But showing that enjoyment is a good way for politicians to connect with voters on a personal level on topic THEY really care about. BTW, I interviewed Obama very soon after Duke won the 2010 championship. I asked him for a congratulatory high-five and he pulled his hand back at the last second. He later sent the WH photo of that moment with the inscription: “I rarely high-five Duke people.”

-Jason "congrats to Mike on a fine blog (http://dukeland.wordpress.com/)" Evans

weezie
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
"I asked him for a congratulatory high-five and he pulled his hand back at the last second. He later sent the WH photo of that moment with the inscription: “I rarely high-five Duke people.”

What a tease.
Ask his retiring ambassador to Austria if that's true. One of his major fund-raisers, for heaven's sake.

Mike Corey
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
It's okay. We still have this (http://ondemand.duke.edu/video/22394/president-obama-welcomes-the-d):

dukebluesincebirth
03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
So why does Obama "rarely high-five Duke people?" I need to know this as it could very well influence my presidential vote in the coming election.

delfrio
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
So why does Obama "rarely high-five Duke people?" I need to know this as it could very well influence my presidential vote in the coming election.

He doesn't want a photo of it with the headline "Obama Makes Deal with Devil" to make the media rounds.

Mike Corey
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM

As Mr. Harwood explained on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/JohnJHarwood), the president "was totally joking."

Bluedog
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a joke. He high fived (or at least fist bumped) Reggie all the time...The person responsible for whitehouse.gov is also a Duke grad as is the Obama-appointed Secretary of Veteran Affairs, Eric Shinseki. Although he has been picking UNC to win the title way too often, ha. Thanks for the piece.

duke79
03-15-2012, 05:30 PM

I think the President is secretly a "hater". He may have said he was joking, but I'm guessing he is not a big Blue Devil fan (despite Reggie Love). I won't even begin to speculate where his animosity comes from.

(PS. This is PURELY speculation on my part)

MartyClark
03-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I think the President is secretly a "hater". He may have said he was joking, but I'm guessing he is not a big Blue Devil fan (despite Reggie Love). I won't even begin to speculate where his animosity comes from.

(PS. This is PURELY speculation on my part)

That seals it. He's lost my vote.

MCFinARL
03-15-2012, 06:45 PM
That seals it. He's lost my vote.

Well, that is about as much, and as reliable, evidence as most people base their vote on, sadly enough. ;)

MartyClark
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Well, that is about as much, and as reliable, evidence as most people base their vote on, sadly enough. ;)

Yup, we run the risk of getting off topic but you are right.

Devilsfan
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't get us started on stupid things like facts to substantiate the above reply. Lets not get into this, please. This site's too good for politics and politicians.

camion
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

I was hypothesizing it was because Reggie Love regularly beat him like a drum on the court. Then I thought better of it. He's the president so obviously he picks first and chooses Reggie for his team. So it was just joke.

phaedrus
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Coming out as a Duke fan is a surefire way to lose the state of North Carolina.

But in addition to the positions already mentioned, Obama does have a Duke alum running the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

sagegrouse
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Coming out as a Duke fan is a surefire way to lose the state of North Carolina.

But in addition to the positions already mentioned, Obama does have a Duke alum running the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

And the Department of Veterans Affairs. -- sage

Duke76
03-17-2012, 05:33 PM

The guy has picked Carolina like the last 2 out 3 yrs to win it all....figure it out...thinks like a hole

uh_no
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
The guy has picked Carolina like the last 2 out 3 yrs to win it all....figure it out...thinks like a hole

2/4 to be exact

2009 UNC
2010 KU
2011 KU
2012 UNC

glad to see the pres sticking up for the little guy

loldevilz
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I really don't think he was completely joking. He takes basketball way to seriously for this to be a complete joke. Would it really surprise you if a guy who is a full blown Tar Heel fan, liberal politician hates Duke? Remember the guy played pick up with the 2010 team. He seemed all to glad to point out how Coach K wanted him to "stick to his job" after he picked UNC to win it all. He also mentioned that most of the people in his cabinet weren't too happy about the blue devils winning, except for Reggie.

Frankly, I'd prefer if he would stick to his job. I think its kind of scary how Duke hate is sometimes politicized. When Rand Paul ran for senate in Kentucky, his opponent was running ads about how Rand was a Duke fan and he was a Kentucy fan. I wish that stuff surprised me, but it doesn't anymore. Just last week there was a Kentucky politician saying how horrible it was that UPS was showing the Laettner shot.