PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky fans can't get over "the shot"

nmduke2001
03-15-2012, 10:50 AM
You may have seen the new UPS ad featuring Grant Hill’s pass to Laettner. A state senator in Kentucky has asked UPS to pull the ad and a lobbyist has started a protest against UPS.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120314/NEWS01/303140078/Some-UK-fans-think-UPS-delivers-pain-ad

Make sure you read the second page. It’s not clear that the story continues.

FerryFor50
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
You may have seen the new UPS ad featuring Grant Hill’s pass to Laettner. A state senator in Kentucky has asked UPS to pull the ad and a lobbyist has started a protest against UPS.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120314/NEWS01/303140078/Some-UK-fans-think-UPS-delivers-pain-ad

The real question is... will UNC fans get over this year's "the shot"? :p

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2012, 11:11 AM
The real question is... will UNC fans get over this year's "the shot"? :p

I'm pretty sure they have already. Whooping us by 18 at Cameron is a pretty good cure for that sort of thing. Of course, they may not have gotten over being whooped by 33 by FSU and then failing yet again to get vengeance in the ACCT finals.

JG Nothing
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM

We should all be happy Hayward's shot did not go in. We would be watching it ad nauseam for the rest of our lives every March. Just the thought of that shot going in makes me appreciate the misery UK fans have had to endure for the past 20 years. Could not happen to a better fan base!

superdave
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I cannot get over Laettner's shot either.

It always makes me happy to see the DBR poster "WeepingThomasHill" name out there too.

nmduke2001
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
We should all be happy Hayward's shot did not go in. We would be watching it ad nauseam for the rest of our lives every March. Just the thought of that shot going in makes me appreciate the misery UK fans have had to endure for the past 20 years. Could not happen to a better fan base!

I understand that it's not fun to see that shot over and over again, however, protesting UPS is a bit ridiculous. You don't see Ole Miss protesting CBS for showing the Bryce Drew shot over and over again.

WeepingThomasHill
03-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Love the Shot, and if it were possible, I would play it on a continuous loop in my house.

Don't the folks in KY have more important business??

Let's get started toward Banner 5 with a win over Lehigh.

stixof96
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Th UK team 20 years ago had NOTHING in common with the UK team today, that's for sure. That team 20 years ago was mature and very dependable no matter what the situation was. They never folded under pressure. Nobody really won that game 20 years ago, except on the scoreboard. Of course, that's where it counts.

JG Nothing
03-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I understand that it's not fun to see that shot over and over again, however, protesting UPS is a bit ridiculous. You don't see Ole Miss protesting CBS for showing the Bryce Drew shot over and over again.

I absolutely agree.

Jderf
03-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Th UK team 20 years ago had NOTHING in common with the UK team today, that's for sure. That team 20 years ago was mature and very dependable no matter what the situation was. They never folded under pressure.

Well, their record going into the tournament was 26-6, while this year's team is 32-2. So that team folded under pressure at least four more times than this year's UK squad, at the same point in the season. If this year's team can pull off three wins in the tourney (and most would agree that they could), I think it is only reasonable to argue that they are actually much more dependable than that 92 team, as historic as it may have been. But really I'm just playing around with ya ;)

oldnavy
03-15-2012, 12:12 PM

You know, I am not so sure that it would have bothered me that much. I mean I loved winning the NC (who wouldn't), but had that shot gone in it would have been such a boost for the so called mid-majors, and just a real nice "feel good" story.

Now if we had been playing a blue blood like KU, or UK, etc.... not so much!

Tjenkins
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I lived in Kentucky's media market at the time, so I don't hate them, and one of my best friends is a diehard UK fan who hates Duke with a passion.

I asked him once if the 1998 win over Duke(a crushing loss, I think you'll all agree) erased or made up for '92, he said no, because the team Laettner's shot beat had all those Kentucky-bred players(Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, aka "The Unforgetables"), that makes that team (and that loss) "special". So don't expect them to get over it. And I sort of understand that, even if it's a bit silly.

But boycotting UPS is stupid, no matter what fan base is doing it.

nmduke2001
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is the ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpdGOn58o8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

fuse
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree protesting UPS and looking to politicians to stop an ad campaign is absurd.

However, can you blame Kentucky fans for not being over it?

Duvall
03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I agree protesting UPS and looking to politicians to stop an ad campaign is absurd.

Yes? It's a basketball game, and it's been two full decades.

Bluedog
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Here is the ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpdGOn58o8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the link. Funny that they got the score wrong in the video description. They have it as a 100-98 Duke victory.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Agree. Excuse me while I go hyperbolic for a moment... for a US Senator to waste even half a second on that crap is an insult to democracy. Okay, end of rant.

Bluedog
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Agree. Excuse me while I go hyperbolic for a moment... for a US Senator to waste even half a second on that crap is an insult to democracy. Okay, end of rant.

It's a state Senator, not US Senator. The junior US Senator for Kentucky (Rand Paul) is a Duke med grad. :D

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
It's a state Senator, not US Senator. The junior US Senator for Kentucky (Rand Paul) is a Duke med grad. :D

Ah, missed that, still...

wilko
03-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I hope the shot is a rusty barbed wire rectal probe for them.
I still aint over '78 so there... they can chew on that!

weezie
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
But boycotting UPS is stupid, no matter what fan base is doing it.

Why don't we all go to the UPS store and ship some boxes of Kleenex to the ky booster club?

Sir Stealth
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they have already. Whooping us by 18 at Cameron is a pretty good cure for that sort of thing. Of course, they may not have gotten over being whooped by 33 by FSU and then failing yet again to get vengeance in the ACCT finals.

The best part of the Rivers shot will be it's staying power. Like the Laettner shot, it will be replayed over and over again to torment UNC fans for all eternity every time Duke and UNC play (at the least). None of us will ever have to watch that 18-point loss ever again. This partially explains why Kentucky can't get over '92 despite '66, '78, and '98 (my personal favorite Duke team of all time and an absolutely gut-wrenching collapse of a loss). The Laettner shot gets the pure saturation effect. Having the Laettner shot replaced with a Hayward make for the rest of our lives would have been devastating.

wilko
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Why don't we all go to the UPS store and ship some boxes of Kleenex to the ky booster club?

I'd rather we send some white powder and working girls over. As long a we can forge a certain Chapel Hill athletic department on the originating postmark.

Tjenkins
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Just a coincidence, but UPS now owns Emery Worldwide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Mills

"Chris Mills graduated from University of Arizona, having transferred there from the University of Kentucky after the 1988–89 season, after being the center of a major scandal involving receiving improper payments, allegedly from a UK booster. The scandal broke when an Emery Worldwide package addressed to Mills' father popped open and several large-denomination bills spilled out."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emery_Worldwide
"Emery's successor company, Menlo Worldwide Forwarding, was acquired by UPS at the end of 2004."

Edouble
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

I can! That 1992 Kentucky team had no business winning a championship anyway. UK then went on to complete the cycle that The Unforgettables began by winning 2 out of 3 Championships in the years that followed, including one where they got their revenge on us in the East Regional Final. 1998 UK was definitely not the most talented team in the field. At the time I remember that they considered it payback. Winning another championship that soon after the 1996 Goliath should have been deliciously sweet icing.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I would love ups to put a picture of Grant Hill's pass to Christian Laettner on the side of their trucks in Kentucky.

killerleft
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I would love ups to put a picture of Grant Hill's pass to Christian Laettner on the side of their trucks in Kentucky.

Good one! How about just a big ol' picture of the Sneakered Foot as it makes contact with the Kentucky jersey with such malicious intent that Timberlake is still trying to relearn how to breathe correctly even today?

Kentucky should have a new nickname: The Masochist State. Victimhood forever!