PDA

View Full Version : Fab Melo Out for NCAA Tourney

mr. synellinden
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Syracuse's big man is out for the NCAAs (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney). Big blow to their chances.

slower
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Syracuse's big man is out for the NCAAs (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney). Big blow to their chances.

Hmmm. Can't decide whether that would be better or worse if the Holes make the Final 4. Could potentially open up the East bracket for FSU or Ohio State. Would that (OSU or FSU instead of Cuse) be better or worse for the Holes? Assuming they make it that far, of course. :)

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Wonder how long they knew that was coming. I'm getting tired of Syracuse already... oops, guess we're in for the long haul now.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Wonder how long they knew that was coming. I'm getting tired of Syracuse already... oops, guess we're in for the long haul now.

I posted this over in the Syracuse bracket thread, so maybe the mods can merge the discussion?

Gotta wonder if this is the end of the road for Good Old Jim. A lot of smoke around this program right now, in fact, it's now probably a fire.

cbnaylor
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
and the bad news is......they're coming to the ACC. We already had to clean up one program being the Tarheels. Like we need another one.

pfrduke
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I posted this over in the Syracuse bracket thread, so maybe the mods can merge the discussion?

Gotta wonder if this is the end of the road for Good Old Jim. A lot of smoke around this program right now, in fact, it's now probably a fire.

and the bad news is......they're coming to the ACC. We already had to clean up one program being the Tarheels. Like we need another one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but academic eligibility issues with regard to one player does not seem to indicate a program-level scandal (and certainly has no relation to the Bernie Fine issue, other than that the two issues surfaced during the same season). I think every school in the country (including us) has had players who weren't able to maintain academic eligibility and so were forced to sit.

gam7
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but academic eligibility issues with regard to one player does not seem to indicate a program-level scandal (and certainly has no relation to the Bernie Fine issue, other than that the two issues surfaced during the same season). I think every school in the country (including us) has had players who weren't able to maintain academic eligibility and so were forced to sit.

I think they are referring to the recent story regarding numerous players who failed Syracuse-administered drug tests but were allowed to play anyway.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM

You are correct. I didn't insinuate that, did I? If I did, that was not my intent.

However, as someone who has always been a rule-follower, the three "issues" that have come up with Syracuse don't sit well with me.
Sure, one kid ineligible does not make a scandal, but that coupled with the Fine allegations and the drug testing issues make me as a college basketball a bit concerned.

Please don't take this as me saying that I blame Boeheim or that he knew anything about this stuff. Who knows? That's not for me to decide.
My point was that given he's not the youngest guy on the sideline and the issues/concerns around the program this year, I wonder if he's going to decide it's time to move on.

I always liked him/Syracuse. If he truly had no knowledge of some of these things, I feel sorry for him.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I think they are referring to the recent story regarding numerous players who failed Syracuse-administered drug tests but were allowed to play anyway.

Yes, thank you! It's been all of the issues coupled together this year that I was referring to!
And let's not forget, this isn't Fab's first ineligibility this year.

pfrduke
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Ah - hadn't heard about one.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Ah - hadn't heard about one.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/report-syracuse-players-failed-drug-tests-still-played-2219366.html

There was also a little discussion on here about the drug tests.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27840-Problems-at-Syracuse&highlight=syracuse+drug

DUKIE V(A)
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM

All the more reason #2 in the EAST would have been ideal. Oh well, one game at a time.

DukeGirl4ever
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
You are correct. I didn't insinuate that, did I? If I did, that was not my intent.

However, as someone who has always been a rule-follower, the three "issues" that have come up with Syracuse don't sit well with me.
Sure, one kid ineligible does not make a scandal, but that coupled with the Fine allegations and the drug testing issues make me as a college basketball FAN a bit concerned.

Please forgive the ERROR in my above post as someone so nicely pointed out. :D
I am sick with the flu and my only entertainment today is the computer (as you can tell with my # of posts), and my brain isn't 100% functioning!
(And note I did re-read my post 3 times before hitting submit.) :cool:

Back on topic:
On ESPN, they debated whether or not 'Cuse will sit in the zone that they so love without Melo. They think they'll get out of it and pressure more. I don't know why they'd change it up now.