PDA

View Full Version : Butler & Florida

Ggallagher
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I was kind of curious as to how often Butler's situation had occurred - specifically playing in the Championship game in back to back years, but then not making the tournament at all in the third year.
Going all the way back to 1966, it's only happened one other time. Florida had the same experience in the 2006-2008 period.
So it's only twice under the current tournament structure, and had not happened previously all the way back to 1966 when UCLA missed the tournament after playing in back to back championship games. Of course with only 22 teams in the tournament then, it was a LITTLE harder to make the field.
Seems like THAT would be depressing. Play for the big prize twice in a row, and then not get to play at all the next year.

anon
03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
I was kind of curious as to how often Butler's situation had occurred - specifically playing in the Championship game in back to back years, but then not making the tournament at all in the third year.
Going all the way back to 1966, it's only happened one other time. Florida had the same experience in the 2006-2008 period.
So it's only twice under the current tournament structure, and had not happened previously all the way back to 1966 when UCLA missed the tournament after playing in back to back championship games. Of course with only 22 teams in the tournament then, it was a LITTLE harder to make the field.
Seems like THAT would be depressing. Play for the big prize twice in a row, and then not get to play at all the next year.

You leave out an important distinction — Florida *won* the tournament two years in a row before qualifying for the NIT in 2008.

Ggallagher
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM
You leave out an important distinction — Florida *won* the tournament two years in a row before qualifying for the NIT in 2008.

Good point - Of course that's also what UCLA did when they won two years in a row, and then missed the tournament entirely in 1966. But then they bounced back pretty well for the 1967-1973 years.

gus
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Good point - Of course that's also what UCLA did when they won two years in a row, and then missed the tournament entirely in 1966. But then they bounced back pretty well for the 1967-1973 years.

I guess Cal saves Duke from that ignominy?