PDA

View Full Version : Memo To: The Committee From: Duke

tommy
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
While we thank you for your placement of our team in sub-regional and regional locations that are close to our campus, and in our "natural" territories, and understand why you would think those locations would be our preference each year, we wish to advise you of our true preferences:

1. When it comes to placement in a regional, geography is not as important to us as is getting the best matchup, per the S-curve, for our team. Meaning it is not our preference to be slated to play a more difficult team per the S-curve just in order to keep us closer to home. Please be aware that we would be happy to travel further in order to play the team we should be playing, if the S-curve was to be more closely followed. You are not doing us any favors by keeping us closer to home but in so doing, matching us up with more difficult opponents.

2. If North Carolina is a top 4 or top 5 seed, and Greensboro or Charlotte is a sub-regional site, it is not our preference to share that site (that pod) with that institution. As you may know, there is a rivalry between the two schools that results in the arena being filled with fans rooting against Duke out of allegiance to North Carolina, thereby producing a very hostile environment for Duke. As we know the intent of the committee is to provide more friendly environments for the top seeds, that purpose is completely frustrated when both teams are part of the same pod. Please consider any other site east of the Mississippi River.

Thank you for your consideration.

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I get what your saying but ANYWHERE Duke goes, fans will cheer against them. I was in DC in '08, and when the game was close with Belmont in the final minutes, the place turned into the Dean Dome of the North. I think K and the players much rather prefer playing closer to home, even if it means having to stare at Carolina Blue in the stands. Duke will most certainly travel well for this game, in their own right.

Remember, Duke plays in the opposite session from Lehigh on Friday, so it should be packed for like a Duke home game. Sunday may be another story, but this Duke team has played some of its best basketball on the road this season.

Bluedog
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Nice! Duke is in a pretty rare situation for a basketball school with these considerations obviously. While travel time perhaps is the main consideration for geography, if you went by "natural fit" as they said they did for Atlanta with UK, then the Northeast would seem to be better for Duke. NYC is the #1 destination of Duke grads nowadays with DC #2 and Boston also in the top 5. Not very often does the larger alumni base come from areas not in the immediate vicinity of the school, though...If OSU had beaten us on the S-curve (which many think they should have), we'd have been likely placed in the East since Columbus is closer to Atlanta than Boston. (Although we'd have a different 3 since FSU could then not be placed in the East.) But, yes, I agree that travel is still a consideration and there are plenty of Duke fans in the South still. Just need to make a lot of noise!

Dev11
03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I was in DC in '08, and when the game was close with Belmont in the final minutes, the place turned into the Dean Dome of the North.

Don't forget that while Duke has a sizable fan base in DC, it is FAR outnumbered by the casual Georgetown and Maryland fan bases, the people who would gobble up the tickets well ahead of time just because they know the games will be played there. I think NYC would be the only potential location for Duke to feel very comfortable in terms of fans, and I'm pretty sure NYC doesn't host first round games thanks to the Big East tournament (correct me if otherwise, I just assumed since they have two professional teams that play in the building, too).

Billy Dat
03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
In the FSU post-game presser, K talked about expecting/hoping to be a #2 seed and playing in Greensboro on Friday so that they could have the maximum amount of time on campus and, especially, to rehab Kelly's foot. So, maybe it worked out the best this year.

Rich
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Remember, Duke plays in the opposite session from Lehigh on Friday

Huh? Is this a typo?

anon
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I understand the sentiment, but I think we'd still rather play somewhere that we're familiar with and that isn't hard to get to. Now, if they wanted to send us to the Prudential Center or the Garden, I'd be OK with that too. :)

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Huh? Is this a typo?

Yes, I meant UNC. Sorry, Lehigh on the brain.

Edouble
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
While we thank you for your placement of our team in sub-regional and regional locations that are close to our campus, and in our "natural" territories, and understand why you would think those locations would be our preference each year, we wish to advise you of our true preferences:

1. When it comes to placement in a regional, geography is not as important to us as is getting the best matchup, per the S-curve, for our team. Meaning it is not our preference to be slated to play a more difficult team per the S-curve just in order to keep us closer to home. Please be aware that we would be happy to travel further in order to play the team we should be playing, if the S-curve was to be more closely followed. You are not doing us any favors by keeping us closer to home but in so doing, matching us up with more difficult opponents.

2. If North Carolina is a top 4 or top 5 seed, and Greensboro or Charlotte is a sub-regional site, it is not our preference to share that site (that pod) with that institution. As you may know, there is a rivalry between the two schools that results in the arena being filled with fans rooting against Duke out of allegiance to North Carolina, thereby producing a very hostile environment for Duke. As we know the intent of the committee is to provide more friendly environments for the top seeds, that purpose is completely frustrated when both teams are part of the same pod. Please consider any other site east of the Mississippi River.

With the recent twitter wars between the Duke and UNC school newspapers, all Duke folks need to pay special attention to spelling and grammar. It's "farther", not "further".

I hear what you are saying, but Coach K did ask for Greensboro! Also, anywhere we go that is in close proximity to another big-time basketball school is going to have a bunch of fans that will cheer loudly against Duke. Personally, I would rather be in NC with lots of fan ugliness than in Texas, LA, etc. with lots of fan ugliness. Plus, 'Heels fans are wine and cheesers at heart. I'm sure fans in other areas of the country can be much nastier.

oldnavy
03-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I hear ya, but it is rarely ever a "easy path" to the FF. Just ask Kansas and Kentucky back in 2010... who would have thunk it???

We just need our boys to take it up a level or two. Mason needs to get out of his little funk and be a man down low like he has shown he can be, and we need to hit some shots.

I hope to see some penetration by Austin and Seth with a lob to MP 1 or 2... seems we have gotten away from that as of late.... even before Kelly went out....

Don't laugh, but Lehigh is the type of team that scares the mess out of me.... they will give us a much closer game than I think most folks will anticipate.

follyblue
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
You do know that there is a fairly simple solution to this conundrum. GO TO THE GAME AND CHEER FOR DUKE! I know that UNC has the bigger alumni base, but really there is no excuse not to go when it is so close. I know it is what Coach K prefers.

Just make sure you bring a poncho to keep from getting soaking wet from all the Tar Heel tears over the refs who, you know, always call the game against the Heels. ;)

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't laugh, but Lehigh is the type of team that scares the mess out of me.... they will give us a much closer game than I think most folks will anticipate.

Couldn't agree more. Lehigh's website posted a video last night of when they learned they were playing Duke, and to a man several players said this is the team they match-up best with being a 15-seed.

Obviously, that's what you'd expect them to say, but they have good guards and versatile bigs who can score. RK and the Plumlee's will have to be big in this game.

weezie
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
K and the team are pleased to be able to sleep in their own beds for an additional four nights.

I'll take care of the cheering, and they can take care of the defense.

Nobody who plays for Duke is afraid of toothless hicks booing them.

NashvilleDevil
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Not laughing but I think Duke beats Lehigh by a comfortable margin on Friday. In fact I think Duke will breeze into the Sweet 16 and the talking heads will start talking them up as a team that could make it to New Orleans especially if some 1 seeds struggle early. Am I looking ahead? Yes I am but at some point fans just need to think the team is going to win and not post the doomsday scenario when it comes to Duke in the tourney.

oldnavy
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Not laughing but I think Duke beats Lehigh by a comfortable margin on Friday. In fact I think Duke will breeze into the Sweet 16 and the talking heads will start talking them up as a team that could make it to New Orleans especially if some 1 seeds struggle early. Am I looking ahead? Yes I am but at some point fans just need to think the team is going to win and not post the doomsday scenario when it comes to Duke in the tourney.

Not doomsday at all. I expect Duke to win, but at the same time I would probably pick them to not cover, depending on the spread. I guess without looking at what the odds makers are saying Duke will win by no more than 13 and no less than 1.... :p

NashvilleDevil
03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Not doomsday at all. I expect Duke to win, but at the same time I would probably pick them to not cover, depending on the spread. I guess without looking at what the odds makers are saying Duke will win by no more than 13 and no less than 1.... :p

Wasn't referring to you as doomsday and that was probably the wrong word. I just get a little tired of the immediate overreaction when the brackets come out and how Duke is going to lose early.

Jderf
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Nobody who plays for Duke is afraid of toothless hicks booing them.

Plus, 'Heels fans are wine and cheesers at heart.

I love how within a single thread we can criticize UNC fans for being -- at the same time -- both rednecks and country clubbers. Good stuff. :D

rasputin
03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I love how within a single thread we can criticize UNC fans for being -- at the same time -- both rednecks and country clubbers. Good stuff. :D

It's just that the toothless hicks have an easier time gumming down soft cheese.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Hilarious part is that it's so true. I was at the whole foods in CH this past Saturday (wearing my Duke hat of course) and within a span of 5 minutes was snotted at by some snotty woman in awful blue while helping my three year old get a cheese sample (how's that for coincidence? :D) and then snickered at by a couple of good ol' boys who walked into the beer section and looked immediately overwhelmed and confused by the lack of PBR.

Zeke
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Back in the day the terms such as Southern Regional ment something. All the teams were from that region. I miss that. I can see the reason for the change but I just don't feel right about a team - such as Duke, NC State, UNC playing in the western regional that has it's first round games in, for example, Greenboro. Strange.

Edouble
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Hilarious part is that it's so true. I was at the whole foods in CH this past Saturday (wearing my Duke hat of course) and within a span of 5 minutes was snotted at by some snotty woman in awful blue while helping my three year old get a cheese sample (how's that for coincidence? :D) and then snickered at by a couple of good ol' boys who walked into the beer section and looked immediately overwhelmed and confused by the lack of PBR.

Funny, because where I live, PBR is the beer of choice for the ultra-hip. You're saying it's for the "toothless rednecks" up where you live. Seems analogous to UNC being appreciated by the country clubbers and the country boys.

Duvall
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

There are numerous varieties of UNC fans. Assembling a complete taxonomy would take days.

gus
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Funny, because where I live, PBR is the beer of choice for the ultra-hip. You're saying it's for the "toothless rednecks" up where you live. Seems analogous to UNC being appreciated by the country clubbers and the country boys.

Brooklyn? (Williamsburg?)

throatybeard
03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I still don't understand how, with KU and MU not getting #1s, they put Carolina in the Midwest and Kentucky in Atlanta instead of the reverse.

Duvall
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
I still don't understand how, with KU and MU not getting #1s, they put Carolina in the Midwest and Kentucky in Atlanta instead of the reverse.

Gotta fill it. (http://www.princetonbasketball.com/images/hoyasncaa.jpg)

pfrduke
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Kentucky gets preference, and Atlanta is much more SEC country than St. Louis is. Perks of being the top team - you don't have to accommodate anyone else's preferences.

-bdbd
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I get what your saying but ANYWHERE Duke goes, fans will cheer against them. I was in DC in '08, and when the game was close with Belmont in the final minutes, the place turned into the Dean Dome of the North. I think K and the players much rather prefer playing closer to home, even if it means having to stare at Carolina Blue in the stands. Duke will most certainly travel well for this game, in their own right.

What, you could hear a pin drop, and everybody stayed sitting down???!

Remember, Duke plays in the opposite session from Lehigh on Friday, so it should be packed for like a Duke home game. Sunday may be another story, but this Duke team has played some of its best basketball on the road this season.
This is very different from Charlotte about 7 years ago when we were all surprised to have Duke play there, but NC had been expecting it for months (and their fans gobbled up all the public tix). Duke fans will dominate our session in Greensboro, but make no mistake there will be the Kerlina hateful showing up (who bought tix to both sessions well in advance) for the Duke session only to cheer against Duke. But it won't be like Custer's last stand (which it was in Charlotte), as I expect us to to out-loud them in our session pretty easily. Also, get ahead early and those 'haters' tend to lose interest and leave very early.

Actually, I think the prognosticators/bettors are already building in the anti-Duke skepticism and lowering our spreads/betting-lines accordingly. I'm actually looking for this squad to pleasantly surprise a few folks over the next couple of weeks...

:rolleyes: :D :eek:

tommy
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
What, you could hear a pin drop, and everybody stayed sitting down???!

This is very different from Charlotte about 7 years ago when we were all surprised to have Duke play there, but NC had been expecting it for months (and their fans gobbled up all the public tix). Duke fans will dominate our session in Greensboro, but make no mistake there will be the Kerlina hateful showing up (who bought tix to both sessions well in advance) for the Duke session only to cheer against Duke. But it won't be like Custer's last stand (which it was in Charlotte), as I expect us to to out-loud them in our session pretty easily. Also, get ahead early and those 'haters' tend to lose interest and leave very early.

Actually, I think the prognosticators/bettors are already building in the anti-Duke skepticism and lowering our spreads/betting-lines accordingly. I'm actually looking for this squad to pleasantly surprise a few folks over the next couple of weeks...

:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Yes. From the spreads I saw today, the spread on our game is 5 to 10 points less than are the other #2 seeds' spreads. But I think that's more due to how seldom we blow teams out rather than anything relating to the crowd.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
I like this year's road team better than home team.

gam7
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM

I would add the following: "PS - if you disregard everything we say in this memo, please just do us a solid by putting us in a position to have an opportunity to face Notre Dame the day after St. Patrick's Day." Fortunately, this part of it worked out this year.