PDA

View Full Version : Some People are Afraid of Their Own Shadow

Kewlswim
03-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi,

For goodness sake, every game in the NCAA tournament (no matter who you play) is potentially the last one played that season. Bravado shown by other teams about playing Duke masks respect they have for the program. Anytime Duke loses hurts, it hurts badly, but does that mean we should cringe at the first sign of a "tough" bracket? Duke is not a one hit wonder (like many other teams) Duke will be back.

I for one, am not willing to say, "OK, good season." The tournament hasn't even started yet. Let's see what happens. Dre might be "en fuego." Austin might shoot lights out. The Plumlees might go all Zoubs on us. :)

Don't be scared, welcome the challenge of competition. Going in scared and we lose. Going in with the idea that we will fight to the end with the hearts of lions (something we have shown) is the way to approach this.

Again, it hurts when we lose, that is for sure. I just don't like all this fear and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning about how we were seeded and other nonsense. We were given a draw and let's go show why Kentucky (YES Kentucky) should be scared to see us in their bracket.

FIGHT BLUE DEVILS FIGHT!

GO DUKE!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Yup. We have six ( 6 ) games left this season. The National Championship goes through DUKE! :cool: We respect all our opponents, they ALL fear playing us.

Rich
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Yup. We have six ( 6 ) games left this season. The National Championship goes through DUKE! :cool: We respect all our opponents, they ALL fear playing us.

My brother-in-law went to Lehigh. He says he's not afraid. ;)

wilko
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Easy for him to say... he aint playing..

rsvman
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Maybe he doesn't abhor losing?

SharkD
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM

He will be… he will be…

Rich
03-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Easy for him to say... he aint playing..

No lie, his favorite band is Wilko...coincidence?

stixof96
03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
as a 30 year Duke fan, what I read on these boards is unbelievable..........for you kids on here, know one thing........Duke basketball was not built on fear.......just ask the guy that Lattener stomped.........i just posted on this very thing in another thraed.........this " softness" needs to go........when it comes to Duke basketball, that foundation was built on one thing.......

"We want some......the question is do you want some ".........

It's time to get back to that.............

NashvilleDevil
03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi,

For goodness sake, every game in the NCAA tournament (no matter who you play) is potentially the last one played that season. Bravado shown by other teams about playing Duke masks respect they have for the program. Anytime Duke loses hurts, it hurts badly, but does that mean we should cringe at the first sign of a "tough" bracket? Duke is not a one hit wonder (like many other teams) Duke will be back.

I for one, am not willing to say, "OK, good season." The tournament hasn't even started yet. Let's see what happens. Dre might be "en fuego." Austin might shoot lights out. The Plumlees might go all Zoubs on us. :)

Don't be scared, welcome the challenge of competition. Going in scared and we lose. Going in with the idea that we will fight to the end with the hearts of lions (something we have shown) is the way to approach this.

Again, it hurts when we lose, that is for sure. I just don't like all this fear and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning about how we were seeded and other nonsense. We were given a draw and let's go show why Kentucky (YES Kentucky) should be scared to see us in their bracket.

FIGHT BLUE DEVILS FIGHT!

GO DUKE!

Glad someone said it. Reading the posts in the Lehigh thread and the South Regional thread you would think that Duke has no chance to win on Friday. I just want to see what happens, we know this team never quits and they'll be in every game they play in this tourney.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Can't resist pony reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlkJTYIjqcQ)...

We usually lose in the Sweet 16. We're all past the denial phase on this, but most of us are still in the anger/bargaining region. I got to acceptance several years ago.

Indoor66
03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
We go into every game believing we can win. Guess what - we usually do. I hate it when we lose but I am an OZZIE for each and every upcoming game. No fear - I expect to win. Go Duke.

wilko
03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
No lie, his favorite band is Wilko...coincidence?

I'll take coincidence over fate on THAT one...

Kedsy
03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
We usually lose in the Sweet 16. We're all past the denial phase on this, but most of us are still in the anger/bargaining region. I got to acceptance several years ago.

I'm not past the denial phase, because it's not true. Under Coach K we've been to the Sweet 16 twenty times. We've won and moved past the Sweet 16 twelve times and lost eight times. So we don't usually lose in the Sweet 16.

Although if you're saying the round in which we have the most losses is the Sweet 16 (as opposed to losing in other rounds or winning the whole thing), then that would be correct (we've won four titles, lost in the title game four times, lost in the semifinal three times, lost in the Elite Eight once, lost in the Sweet 16 eight times, lost in the 2nd round five times, lost in the first round twice, and missed the tournament four times). Although I personally wouldn't apply the adverb "usually" to something that has only happened 8 out of 31 years.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I know what our stats are. 3-7 in our last 10 Sweet 16s. Don't get me wrong, I realize no other school has played in 10 Sweet 16s in the last 12 years (12/14, actually). But again, I know what our stats are.

Kedsy
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I know what our stats are. 3-7 in our last 10 Sweet 16s.

But why do you stop at 10? Seems arbitrary to me. Go back to 15 and we're 8-7 (also arbitrary, I know). Go back to 20 (not arbitrary because it includes every year under Coach K and every year in the 64 team era) and we're 12-8.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Why did you stop at my second sentence? Seems arbitrary to me.

Fine, if you ignore that our 20 Sweet 16s break down to a 9-1 run and a 3-7 run, in that order, and/or ascribe that to chance I won't argue. I'm thrilled to have been on the good side of "chance" when I was at Duke.

Steven43
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
But why do you stop at 10? Seems arbitrary to me. Go back to 15 and we're 8-7 (also arbitrary, I know). Go back to 20 (not arbitrary because it includes every year under Coach K and every year in the 64 team era) and we're 12-8.

So we started out 9-1 in our first ten Sweet 16's under Coach K and since then we've gone 3-7. Not a great trend.

sporthenry
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I think Duke is in a great situation. They have essentially lowered all expectations for us fans that I guess some expect us to be the fifth 2 seed to go down. Just getting to the second weekend will be good enough for most and yet this team could get hot and beat anyone on any night. Additionally, the media is giving us no credit. Didn't see one bracket with us in the F4 from either the "experts" at ESPN or CBS. Additionally, many are seemingly calling us the weakest of the 1-2 seeds which no doubt provides bulletin board material.

CDu
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Surely you understand the concept of trends, Kedsy. In our last 2 seasons we're 1-1 in the sweet 16. In our last 4 seasons we're 1-2. In our last 6 seasons we're 1-3. In our last 8 seasons, we're 2-4. In our last 10 seasons we're 2-6. In our last 12 seasons we're 3-7. In our last 14 seasons we're 4-7. In our last 18 seasons we're 5-7. In our last 20 seasons we're 6-7. You have to go back 21 years to a time in which we were .500 in the Sweet 16 games beyond a sample size of 2.

I don't think it's unfair at all to say that we mostly get to the sweet-16 and lose these days. I think it's a lot more realistic to say that than to continue to cite data that occurred when most of these players weren't born and many of the coaches were still in grade school.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that our program has become so good that a Sweet 16 feels a bit disappointing. Other schools would kill for that. Ask UCLA fans if they'd prefer the Steve Lavin years over the current state of their program. But I think it's just contrarian to disagree based on data that are quite dated.

arnie
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
So we started out 9-1 in our first ten Sweet 16's under Coach K and since then we've gone 3-7. Not a great trend.

And, with the huge exception of 2010, have not beaten an opponent seeded better than a "7" in the NCAA tourney since 2004. That's what happens when you're a 1 or 2 seed and don't get past the sweet sixteen.

slower
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
as a 30 year Duke fan, what I read on these boards is unbelievable..........for you kids on here, know one thing........Duke basketball was not built on fear.......just ask the guy that Lattener stomped.........i just posted on this very thing in another thraed.........this " softness" needs to go........when it comes to Duke basketball, that foundation was built on one thing.......

"We want some......the question is do you want some ".........

It's time to get back to that.............

In case you haven't noticed, the "softness" that apparently concerns some of us is not that of the fans.

And to Ozzie - God love you, but Duke just doesn't strike fear into EVERYBODY they play. That's just where we are at this moment in time. And no amount of bluster from board members will strike fear in any opponent's heart. This team is very capable of earning that fear and respect ON THE COURT - let's see if they can do it.

This is (obviously) not the Laettner/Hill/Hurley or Jwill/Dunleavy/Boozer team - THOSE teams made our opponents piss themselves. If Kyrie had stayed healthy all year, I think last year's team would have been close to that level. But this year's team does not terrify the big boys. Not yet, at least. :)

DukieInKansas
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I know what our stats are. 3-7 in our last 10 Sweet 16s. Don't get me wrong, I realize no other school has played in 10 Sweet 16s in the last 12 years (12/14, actually). But again, I know what our stats are.

I look at this from a different perspective. Rather than focus on the 3-7, I would rather focus on the fact that we are the only school that has played in 12 Sweet 16s in the last 14 years. That is a fantastic accomplishment. Perhaps the losses are more a result of better competition than just a downward trend with Duke.

I would love Duke to win it all every year but that is not a realistic expectation. I hate every Duke loss but remind myself to step back and look at the big picture. We have a group of kids that represent the University in the best light. Our Coach and his staff are fantastic. It is one of, if not the, cleanest programs in the country. We are in a tournament with only 67 other participants. That is better than what, about 260 other D1 schools? That is great. Now is the time to survive and advance.

I confess, when I fill out my brackets, I always have Duke going all the way in at least one of them. (Yes, I've meet Ozzie, the paradigm of optimism. We can all learn a bit from him.) We don't need to wear rose colored glasses but must also look at the team's accomplishments as compared to the current year and current competition. Comparing them to past Duke teams isn't really fair to the current Duke team.

Let's Go, Duke.

Kewlswim
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi,

While professional sports teams are often essentially the same cast of players year in and year out, college sports are different. So, we have gone to a bunch of Sweet 16s and lost recently (we also have a Natty Championship a couple of years ago too)? Past performance is not indicative of future success. A team earns every win in the Tournament. Nobody, I think, knows that better than the one constant through all those years: Coach K.

While I am at it, I like Duke's chances playing any team with Coach K at the helm even if it was a group of "walk-ons" and water boys! In the NCAA Tournament only one of 68 teams leaves "happy." Coach K wasn't happy the team fell to FSU in Atlanta, but he was happy that they gave it their all and played as hard as they could. Period. By the way, the team only lost by 3 (same as some other team down the road a bit), yet we have "no" chance of winning it all and they have every chance. I don't understand, for example, how losing Henson for the tournament gives UNC a "pass" and losing Kelly for the tournament just shows how thin and weak and unworthy Duke was of even sniffing the ACC Championship? Yes, the Devils played without an important cog who will most likely be back for the NCAA Tournament.

Have you also noticed how the pundits say how icky Duke is this year, yet when they talk about how another team did they will often validate the other teams season by a statement like, "And they beat Duke too, showing they are good." If Duke is bad how come a victory over them is seen with such reverence and importance?

I understand the importance of being reasonable and rational, etc. Yet, we are fans, a word derived from "fanatic." I am fanatical over my Blue Devils. I am not willing to concede anything. Deep down the pundits want us to lose because their envy is so great it keeps them up at night. They (in some cases) wish to holy heaven they had been able to play for Coach K or in Billy Packer's case (I think) Vic Bubas (not sure that was spelled correctly).

Do you think for a moment Coach K is just willing to let the Devils waltz into Greensboro with the idea of losing? They have won in Maui beating Michigan and Kansas, they have beaten MSU--yes Michigan State--, they have beaten FSU, and for all those who still can't believe it they have beaten UNC.

GO DUKE!

Troublemaker
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Great post, Kewlswim.

I for one would love to see a Duke-Kentucky matchup.

Unless I'm missing something, Duke hasn't been the underdog in an NCAA tournament game since 2004. I think we'd relish the chance to play that role (but obviously should focus on 1 game at a time).

Kedsy
03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Why did you stop at my second sentence? Seems arbitrary to me.

Well, no disrespect intended, but I stopped after your first sentence because the last two sentences weren't relevant to the point we were discussing.

Surely you understand the concept of trends, Kedsy. In our last 2 seasons we're 1-1 in the sweet 16. In our last 4 seasons we're 1-2. In our last 6 seasons we're 1-3. In our last 8 seasons, we're 2-4. In our last 10 seasons we're 2-6. In our last 12 seasons we're 3-7. In our last 14 seasons we're 4-7. In our last 18 seasons we're 5-7. In our last 20 seasons we're 6-7. You have to go back 21 years to a time in which we were .500 in the Sweet 16 games beyond a sample size of 2.

Well, I'm no statistician, but it seems to me a sample size of 10 is little better than a sample size of 2. Especially when the 10 was arbitrarily chosen to come right after a hot streak ended. Sometimes things that look like a trend really aren't, at least not a statistically significant trend.

I don't think it's unfair at all to say that we mostly get to the sweet-16 and lose these days. I think it's a lot more realistic to say that than to continue to cite data that occurred when most of these players weren't born and many of the coaches were still in grade school.

Really, how is any data that occurred before the current crop of players started playing relevant? Why is a Sweet 16 loss in 2002 any more relevant that a Sweet 16 win in 1998? For that matter, how is a Sweet 16 loss in 2006 any more relevant than a Sweet 16 win in 1986? None of the current players played for us in either year; who cares when they were born? What does "these days" even mean?

The only constant here is Coach K, and he has a winning record in Sweet 16s. Unless you think he's lost it somehow, or unless you have some reasonable basis for counting or not counting certain years, I don't see how you can draw any conclusion based on a tiny, arbitrarily chosen subset.

CDu
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, I'm no statistician, but it seems to me a sample size of 10 is little better than a sample size of 2. Especially when the 10 was arbitrarily chosen to come right after a hot streak ended. Sometimes things that look like a trend really aren't, at least not a statistically significant trend.

Yeah, that was my point. The sample size of 10 runs counter to your point. I just included the n of 2 so that some clown didn't call me out saying "hey, we're 1-1 in our last two trips."

Really, how is any data that occurred before the current crop of players started playing relevant? Why is a Sweet 16 loss in 2002 any more relevant that a Sweet 16 win in 1998? For that matter, how is a Sweet 16 loss in 2006 any more relevant than a Sweet 16 win in 1986? None of the current players played for us in either year; who cares when they were born? What does "these days" even mean?

The only constant here is Coach K, and he has a winning record in Sweet 16s. Unless you think he's lost it somehow, or unless you have some reasonable basis for counting or not counting certain years, I don't see how you can draw any conclusion based on a tiny, arbitrarily chosen subset.

Life is a small sample size. And while Coach K is the only constant, the other variables have changed around him. You only gain from increasing the number of years (observations) so long as the increase in years doesn't introduce too many new variables. I'd argue that they've changed a lot less in the past 10 years than they have in the past 27 years. Though even still, they've certainly changed in the last 5 years compared to the last 10.

I'm also not drawing any conclusions so I don't know why you suggest that. I'm not saying we'll lose in the sweet 16 (at least that's the only way I could interpret as drawing a conclusion). I'm just noting that it's just as debatable to look at 27 years of data (which introduces much more longitudinal variation that you're ignoring) as it is to use 10 years of data (which has less longitudinal variation but a smaller sample size). It's all an arbitrary point of discussion. You called someone onto the mat for ignoring the first 10 years of tourney success for Coach K. I merely point out that it's just as defensible to not include those as it is to include them when the only "conclusion" is whether we "tend to get to the sweet 16 and lose" (which is, to some degree, a qualitative opinion-based statement, as is evidenced by this discussion).

wavedukefan70s
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
None of the past matters now.only thing that matters is that we throttle our next opponent.then see who's next to get throttled.

mgtr
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
None of the past matters now.only thing that matters is that we throttle our next opponent.then see who's next to get throttled.

Now there is the Duke attitude! Bring on the next team -- we'll be ready.

Go Duke.

CDu
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Yup. In sports, the past only matters for talk radio and message boards. This just happens to be one of those venues.

Bring on Lehigh!

1 24 90
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty happy that Duke is the only team who has actually made the Sweet 16 in each of the last 3 years. I'm glad we had the chance to play a Sweet 16 game when over 300 other teams didn't each year. Still would like to win the title every year though.

AsiaMinor
03-12-2012, 07:04 PM
If it is a new season, with a new team, and new opponents, how do statistics of past games and past opponents even factor in? If it were the same 5 players on both sides, I could see it, but with all the variables....

uh_no
03-12-2012, 07:11 PM
If it is a new season, with a new team, and new opponents, how do statistics of past games and past opponents even factor in? If it were the same 5 players on both sides, I could see it, but with all the variables....

Because you can draw similarities between certain types of players and certain types of teams. The predictive power isn't huge, but it does exit.

For example, we can predict that its highly unlikely that a 16 will beat a 1 seed. We have never seen these same 5 players play against the 16 team, but we can say with all likelihood that the 1 seed will win.

That takes the counter argument to its extent, but demonstrates that you can gather some predictive value from similar though not identical situations in the past.

throatybeard
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Life is a small sample size.

Dude. Cosmic. Depressing.

wilko
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
We've beat half of the one seeds already..
On the right night we can beat anyone!

stixof96
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
We've beat half of the one seeds already..
On the right night we can beat anyone!

i agree....that can also be the night of our chosing if we want it to be.......

Greg_Newton
03-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Terrific advice for when I play in the NCAA tournament against Lehigh Friday night. I'll keep that in mind as I play basketball for my coach, Mike Krzyzewski, in my Duke uniform, with my teammates Mason Plumlee, Austin Rivers, and Seth Curry in about four days.

:rolleyes:

Kewlswim
03-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Hi,

Coach K has often spoken about how Duke fans are "part of the team." Thus, it is good advice for you too, that is if you root for Duke. I am not sure how Ole Roy, for example, feels about his team's fans--I feel from some of his comments that he does not really have a lot of respect for them.

Greg, weren't your team mates on a team from a few years back? You seem a bit old to lace them up against Lehigh, you might want to wait until the team is done for the year around Easter time and can get in on some pickup games around campus. I wouldn't want Duke to run into some sort of compliance issues because you were chomping at the bit to play on Friday. :D

GO DUKE!!

Terrific advice for when I play in the NCAA tournament against Lehigh Friday night. I'll keep that in mind as I play basketball for my coach, Mike Krzyzewski, in my Duke uniform, with my teammates Mason Plumlee, Austin Rivers, and Seth Curry in about four days.

:rolleyes:

Edouble
03-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Hi,

Coach K has often spoken about how Duke fans are "part of the team." Thus, it is good advice for you too, that is if you root for Duke. I am not sure how Ole Roy, for example, feels about his team's fans--I feel from some of his comments that he does not really have a lot of respect for them.

Greg, weren't your team mates on a team from a few years back? You seem a bit old to lace them up against Lehigh, you might want to wait until the team is done for the year around Easter time and can get in on some pickup games around campus. I wouldn't want Duke to run into some sort of compliance issues because you were chomping at the bit to play on Friday. :D

GO DUKE!!

Agree. I don't understand some people's issue with the word "we". Duke is a very "we" program. Coach K told me I was part of the team when I was at Duke. Would Grant Hill get called out if he referred to Duke as "we"?

Fans refer to their teams as "we", not "they". That's basic sports dogma.

Matches
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Agree. I don't understand some people's issue with the word "we". Duke is a very "we" program. Coach K told me I was part of the team when I was at Duke. Would Grant Hill get called out if he referred to Duke as "we"?

Fans refer to their teams as "we", not "they". That's basic sports dogma.

Certainly. But our attitude as fans has basically nothing to do with how the team will perform this weekend. We can collectively wet our pants all week, and it won't change a thing that happens on the Court.

CDu
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Certainly. But our attitude as fans has basically nothing to do with how the team will perform this weekend. We can collectively wet our pants all week, and it won't change a thing that happens on the Court.

Yup. Talking big on a message board has no positive impact on the team's game(s) this weekend. Voicing concern will have no negative impact, either.

Kedsy
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
We can collectively wet our pants all week, and it won't change a thing that happens on the Court.

Yeah, but think of our dry cleaners...

SupaDave
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Not true - confidence is contagious. A pat on the back for a player during a lunchtime meal could become a 30 point performance on the court.

A "let's go get 'em" goes a lot further than a "don't mess up today"...

ChrisP
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I have never been a big fan of teams/players who take motivation from being "dissed" but...I, for one, am SICK of all the so-called experts picking Duke to lose to Lehigh and/or the ND/Xavier winner. Forget that junk!!! We may not have a team built to go all the way, but, we're freakin' DUKE. We have freakin' Coach freakin' K. We got Nate Dogg and Wojo and Collins and Capel on the bench. We got Sub-Zero, Seth, nearly 21 feet of Plumlees and guys named Josh and Tyler who have hearts the size of freakin' Montana. So, to paraphrase my man Flava Flave - we ain't goin' out like that!!!

Let's straight up shut some people UP on Friday and Sunday. Go DUKE!!!

Matches
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Not true - confidence is contagious. A pat on the back for a player during a lunchtime meal could become a 30 point performance on the court.

In theory, maybe - but I live and work in Charlotte. Though I have tried to do so in every conceivable way, I have had no success in affecting games through my television set. (And I'm not kidding - much to my family's chagrin, I've tried everything short of a seance.)

I'd certainly hope no one is approaching our players at lunch to tell them they're going to lose this weekend though.

wilko
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM

No disrespect to the fine folks at Lehigh who work hard and are deserving -

But nothing would help this Duke team more than to put on dazzling display and run them out of the gym. It would be really nice considering the injury to RK, new challenges for players filling in, new plays from the bench to compensate. If this team gets a taste of success and can get back to having fun.. I think it will be a tremendous shot in the arm for confidence.

Lately our games (wins and losses)... the ball has afterbirth on it. Everything is such a labor.
Need to make it fun and knock down a straw-man or 2 to get it rolling again

Kewlswim
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I am sorry that my saying "we" when referring to the team has upset some of your Vulcan sensibilities. I feel sort of bad for those of you who feel yelling positive encouragement (even if it is at the tv) does nothing and aren't invested as "part" of the team.

I think part of the reason for this is that if you don't put all your chips in there is less chance for being hurt. I guess I carry my emotions more on my sleeve and so I can't understand all this ultra rational, calm, calculating stuff when it comes to Duke. It is Duke basketball, not some shares of IBM.

GO DUKE!

CDu
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Yup. And if I was still a student or had any sort of contact with members of the team and/or coaching staff, I'd absolutely do that. But I don't (even though I live in Durham). So I don't think anything I say is going to have much of an affect on the team's performance this weekend. I'm pretty sure that Coach K and the staff will have much more influence on getting these guys confidence than any possible effects of a message board post (if those guys are even reading that sort of thing - I know I wouldn't be if I were them).

Edouble
03-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Well, he said "We can't go in scared". I thought he was talking about the guys on the court. If he was talking about the fans, you're right, it seems pretty unnecessary.

ncexnyc
03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I am sorry that my saying "we" when referring to the team has upset some of your Vulcan sensibilities. I feel sort of bad for those of you who feel yelling positive encouragement (even if it is at the tv) does nothing and aren't invested as "part" of the team.

I think part of the reason for this is that if you don't put all your chips in there is less chance for being hurt. I guess I carry my emotions more on my sleeve and so I can't understand all this ultra rational, calm, calculating stuff when it comes to Duke. It is Duke basketball, not some shares of IBM.

GO DUKE!

I yell lots of things at my TV during Duke games. Can't say they're very positive, which is why I'm locked in the guest room by myself.:D

But I'm with you all the way on the "WE" issue. That's why I sport my Duke gear win, lose, or draw after every game. That's why I talk so much smack at work to my heel worshiping co-workers. Yes, I'm invested and if you don't have the shakes or get so hyper during or after the game, to the point it's hard to fall asleep, then I have to question just how serious you are about this team.

Kewlswim
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I yell lots of things at my TV during Duke games. Can't say they're very positive, which is why I'm locked in the guest room by myself.:D

But I'm with you all the way on the "WE" issue. That's why I sport my Duke gear win, lose, or draw after every game. That's why I talk so much smack at work to my heel worshiping co-workers. Yes, I'm invested and if you don't have the shakes or get so hyper during or after the game, to the point it's hard to fall asleep, then I have to question just how serious you are about this team.

Ncexnyc,

I am with you. When we (yes WE) lose in the tournament I have a hell of a hard time sleeping. I say to myself, "Thank God it [the Tournament] is over soon so I can start concentrating on next year." Then I will start to feel bad for the seniors. In this case we only have one, but I will still feel bad that his last year wasn't an NCAA championship.

When we win it is sheer bliss. I feel that being able to show emotions like happiness and sadness about something is very healthy. Who wants to spend time with some cold, calculating, ultra rational person? Then again, I like laughing, think it is good to cry when happy or sad, believe there isn't enough empathy in the world, I feel walking with my beloved Labrador is pretty darn awesome, and I thank God that I matriculated at Duke for all it has done for me. Life is good when one is a Blue Devil.

GO DUKE!

weezie
03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
I have to question just how serious you are about this team.

Well, whatever your emotional make-up may be, after our 2010 NC I was standing in the Duke section in Indy talking to my daughter on the phone when I just started bawling. She was non-plussed and wondered why the heck I was crying!
Boy, that felt good! Happy crying is the best!

NSDukeFan
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, whatever your emotional make-up may be, after our 2010 NC I was standing in the Duke section in Indy talking to my daughter on the phone when I just started bawling. She was non-plussed and wondered why the heck I was crying!
Boy, that felt good! Happy crying is the best!

I would be ok with having a tear in my eye seeing senior Miles hug coach K as Miles, Mason, Andre, Ryan (and Seth?) win their second national championship. This team is certainly not favored to do it, but I am picking them to win and think that if they have a hot shooting game at the right time has as good a chance as almost any of winning all their remaining games.

stixof96
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
As far as I am concerned, Duke is going to win the whole ball of wax. I don't know what you people are talking about. Losing is just not an option in the world I live in when it comes to Duke Basketball.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
As far as I am concerned, Duke is going to win the whole ball of wax. I don't know what you people are talking about. Losing is just not an option in the world I live in when it comes to Duke Basketball.

That's because you have more of a will to win than I do.

stixof96
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
That's because you have more of a will to win than I do.

Neither of us will be playing.

Edouble
03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Neither of us will be playing.

OK, but I will be aping post up moves, boxing out, and Riversian jab steps at the big screen.

DukieInKansas
03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I have never been a big fan of teams/players who take motivation from being "dissed" but...I, for one, am SICK of all the so-called experts picking Duke to lose to Lehigh and/or the ND/Xavier winner. Forget that junk!!! We may not have a team built to go all the way, but, we're freakin' DUKE. We have freakin' Coach freakin' K. We got Nate Dogg and Wojo and Collins and Capel on the bench. We got Sub-Zero, Seth, nearly 21 feet of Plumlees and guys named Josh and Tyler who have hearts the size of freakin' Montana. So, to paraphrase my man Flava Flave - we ain't goin' out like that!!!

Let's straight up shut some people UP on Friday and Sunday. Go DUKE!!!

I seem to recall the 2010 team was predicted to lose starting with the Sweet 16 round and when they didn't, everyone said that Duke had the easiest road to the Final Four. I never could figure that out - if we weren't supposed to win several of the games along the way, how could we have the easiest path. I can only hope this tournament goes the same way. Let's go, Duke!

wilko
03-14-2012, 08:38 AM
OK, but I will be aping post up moves, boxing out, and Riversian jab steps at the big screen.

I think you just pitched an xbox360 Kinect basketball game.
Your moves in game space ARE the moves instead of button combinations...

I'm built like Reggie Johnson, play like Josh Hairston, but am just a shade taller than wojo..
Now in the game.. I can BE taller.

This could be a REAL game that helps kids focus on fundamentals.. Footwork, timing, positioning..

Hummmm

mgtr
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I seem to recall the 2010 team was predicted to lose starting with the Sweet 16 round and when they didn't, everyone said that Duke had the easiest road to the Final Four. I never could figure that out - if we weren't supposed to win several of the games along the way, how could we have the easiest path. I can only hope this tournament goes the same way. Let's go, Duke!

And one of the teams we faced was Baylor, and they were a tough out, and expect they will be again this year.

SupaDave
03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
And one of the teams we faced was Baylor, and they were a tough out, and expect they will be again this year.

I think Joe Jackson, Will Barton and Memphis shoot Baylor down!

Kedsy
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I think Joe Jackson, Will Barton and Memphis shoot Baylor down!

You mean in the Final Four? Because unless I'm misreading my bracket, that's the first place that Memphis (#8 in the West) can play Baylor (#3 in the South).

SupaDave
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
You mean in the Final Four? Because unless I'm misreading my bracket, that's the first place that Memphis (#8 in the West) can play Baylor (#3 in the South).

Holy smokes I was wrong on that. Somehow I got Memphis confused with UNLV. But yeah - I think UNLV shoots Baylor down!!

I've been filling out so many brackets that I'm seeing stars.