PDA

View Full Version : Duke 91 92 Documentary

rthomas
03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I hope you got to watch this. It was awesome. I was a post doc then and this brought back so many memories. And things I did not know. Perfect ending to the weekend. Go Duke. Represent!

1 24 90
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
In case anyone missed it, Tru TV will be showing it again 5:30 on Friday. (presumably between tourney games)

Chris Randolph
03-11-2012, 09:14 PM
The good ol days of college basketball (I like present day college basketball, but it was much better then). Great documentary. Hope this year's team watched and learned something from it. Never too late in the season to learn

77devil
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
"Michigan (fab five) was the most overrated team in college basketball. Never has a team with so much produced so little."

Classic Coach Knight.

Delaware
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Loved the end.... the basic gist:

Reporter after the '92 Championship game ... "What do you think of Hurley"

Fab Five member.... "Average I guess".

Hurley.... "I guess I'm just an average guy with two National Championships. I really don't care what they say about me".

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
This was phenomenal. Wish they could have dedicated two hours to it.

My love for Duke basketball started with that little scrawny white boy who was the toughest kid I've ever seen play the game.
There will never be another Bobby Hurley. EVER.

Knight's comments were priceless and what I would totally expect from him.

It was great seeing some of the other guys on the team like Marty Clark and Eric Meek join in on the fun. A few times, I thought Bobby was going to tear up while watching the highlights of their magical run.

It's because of those teams that I am who I am today. Simply put, Duke Basketball is Life!

throatybeard
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Holy mother of Zechariah, how gray has Hurley's hair gotten?

roywhite
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Great show; really well done.

Brought back tons of memories. What a special achievement and what a special time.

diablesseblu
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Would love to see this but don't get TruTV.

Was there in Philly with my then 7th grade daughter. She had a big crush on Christian. All credit to him. She was not interested in sports before his tenure at Duke. It was a special pleasure the next AM when we saw our old friends Lennie & Gail Elmore at the train station. It's still difficult for Mr. Elmore to discuss that day with me.

The import of those days/that team has followed us. When they razed the Spectrum, the "Dad" of the aforementioned child bought the part of the floor from which "The Shot" was launched.

When she married, Daddy and daughter danced their dance on the (surprise for her) floor.

Are we fans or what? ;-) Good times.

stixof96
03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
This was phenomenal. Wish they could have dedicated two hours to it.

My love for Duke basketball started with that little scrawny white boy who was the toughest kid I've ever seen play the game.
There will never be another Bobby Hurley. EVER.

Knight's comments were priceless and what I would totally expect from him.

It was great seeing some of the other guys on the team like Marty Clark and Eric Meek join in on the fun. A few times, I thought Bobby was going to tear up while watching the highlights of their magical run.

It's because of those teams that I am who I am today. Simply put, Duke Basketball is Life!

i am with you 100%..........hurley is my favorite college player EVER !!!!!!........he didn't come to win, he came to die to win if necessary........his will to win was incredible............when his team needed him to step it up even higher and make a big play, he never failed...........today's kids spend life talking to a box with their fingers......they have no concept of a Bobby Hurley............this world has chaged significantly in these few years, and not for the better either.......

diablesseblu
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
i am with you 100%..........hurley is my favorite college player EVER !!!!!!........he didn't come to win, he came to die to win if necessary........his will to win was incredible............when his team needed him to step it up even higher and make a big play, he never failed...........today's kids spend life talking to a box with their fingers......they have no concept of a Bobby Hurley............this world has chaged significantly in these few years, and not for the better either.......

Great post! You've explained what I've missed most when watching college BB these past few years. Bobby Hurley was just visceral with his will to win. He never took a moment off. I'm not sure that I've seen that same constancy/tenacity from any college player this year.

I often watch games (not talking about Duke) and think that these guys act like they're constantly thinking "will I end up on "Sportscenter", i.e., they never go full out and risk being humiliated.

Seems like so much playing these days is about positioning/posturing rather than winning.

stixof96
03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Great post! You've explained what I've missed most when watching college BB these past few years. Bobby Hurley was just visceral with his will to win. He never took a moment off. I'm not sure that I've seen that same constancy/tenacity from any college player this year.

I often watch games (not talking about Duke) and think that these guys act like they're constantly thinking "will I end up on "Sportscenter", i.e., they never go full out and risk being humiliated.

Seems like so much playing these days is about positioning/posturing rather than winning.

we are now living in a world totally focused on self promotion......trust me........i am the C.E.O. of a think tank that is developing a system to completely eliminate bullying in our schools and on the internet.........nationwide..........i have been at this job for 3 years now.......what i have seen and learned about our society, and the lessons that our kids are being taught in this society, is absolutely sickening and frightening..............respect for anything is an ancient part of our society now........it is all about hate and self promotion...........truth, honesty and committment means nothing anymore.....and it clearly shows in our sports world........social darwinism and worse is what it has turned into............today's kids have no idea what the heart of someone like Hurley even is.........they don't know what a 110% effort, every second is................every single second.......they don't know anything about REAL hard work and dedication to something bigger than themselves...........Hurley could care less if his picture was on anything...........he wasn't out there to impress anyone or get any props..........he was out there for his TEAM to kick your ast............nothing else..............and he cared less what he would have to sacrifice to get that win...........that is what he was there for, to overcome any obstacle to win...............all he cared about was that Duke had another w in the bank............and he never made any kind of excuse for anything........he held himself totally accountable and you could clearly see that in his play..............God knows Duke could use a triple dose of Hurley these days.....and so could all the rest..........

stixof96
03-11-2012, 11:54 PM
another thing about Hurley..........his do or die committment was highly contagious and extremely addicting.............no only was he a force on his own, he made every other player on his team MUCH BETTER......he even made opposing players much better when they played Duke...........if you were going to be on the court with Hurley, you better have a 100% quality effort or you were going to look like a high school J.V. player out there, compared to him, in front of the whole world...........every Duke player around him was injected with his " poison ".......a very good poison..............Hurley never had an overall bad night....if he was off in one area, he willed himself to be great in another area to turn in a complete quality game each and every time he took the floor.............he demanded nothing less of himself...........that was obvious.........today's kids totally lack that.........it's all about the glitter now..........

Underdog5
03-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Expected to release a long version with additional interviews and footage available on iTunes some time this week.

davekay1971
03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
To stix:

While I share some of the frustrations about "kids these days" (and I have to chuckle at myself for that very old-guy sentiment), I think you're being a little harsh, and certainly over-generalizing. While I am absolutely sure working on a system to stop bullying exposes you to some of the worst today's kids have to offer, it may be skewing your view a little negative. To put it in context, as a cardiologist I get to see all the marvels of a lazy, obese 30something America (the lazier, more obese 20somethings haven't hit the point of seeing a cardiologist yet, for the most part). It's enough to make me sometimes feel like that's all the folks a half-generation behind me have to offer. And, while the obesity epidimic is real and getting worse, it's also inaccurate for me to think that EVERYONE in their 20s and 30s is an obese couch potato...that's just the skewed sample I see.

Your views on current basketball kids don't apply to every kid on this team. Guys like Thornton and Hairston, for example, are hard-working lunchpail kids. Coach K is an old-school guy, but he seems to really like the effort the team, as a whole, is giving. Guys like Hurley and Laettner and Battier, with their non-stop motor and desire, are actually a rarity in ANY generation.

And, for a great example of a recent team: The 2010 team, just 2 years ago (and college kids can't have changed that much in 2 years), was a team absolutely full of guys who worked their butts off every game, had an amazing sense of team, an amazing desire to win, and not one showboat among them.

While you've shown a real distaste for the one-and-done kids (and I think I now have a better understanding and appreciation of why) and other aspects of the current state of the game and the kids who play it, I'd suggest that there are, in today's college basketball, plenty of examples of kids who reflect the old-school values that Hurley most certainly showed on court.

diablesseblu
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Expected to release a long version with additional interviews and footage available on iTunes some time this week.

Thanks so much for this news! Can't wait to see it.

77devil
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Really enjoyed the show, but was surprised at the absence in the interviews of some notable players from the era.

AsiaMinor
03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Watched it.
Watched it again.
I remember these games because it was before I became a Duke
fan and was just another chick in the boardroom filling out my
brackets. I won two years in a row causing the "dudes" to shake
their heads in wonder at my intelligent picks. You're right guys:
The players had a different hunger and attitude in "those days".
So did the fans.

stixof96
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Watched it.
Watched it again.
I remember these games because it was before I became a Duke
fan and was just another chick in the boardroom filling out my
brackets. I won two years in a row causing the "dudes" to shake
their heads in wonder at my intelligent picks. You're right guys:
So did the fans.

You are so right....and the proof is right here on these boards.........just read the comments........75% of the people commenting on here are scared to death.....look at how many times you see the word HOPE on this board....." i hope this happens and i hope that doesn't happen ".........back in those days, the only place fear existed was on the other bench........in fact, i used to say that Duke players back then should have come out on the floor with tee shirts that said...." NOTHING your mother has taught you will help you now".............LOL !!!.........For opposing teams, playing Duke meant only one thing.......40 minutes of Hell.........regardless of who you were......everybody knew that Duke walked into the building to do one thing..... to slaughter you........and they were probably going to do it...Duke knew how to go in for the kill like nobody else...it was beyond brutal........if you think Duke wasn't intimidating back then, you are badly mistaken.......just ask the Fab 5......or UNLV.....or the guy that Lattener stomped......I LOVED IT !!!....a little bad intentions doesn't hurt a thing........it's time to get back to that.........and it can be done.........

Jderf
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM

I would like to see any DBR poster at one of Duke's year-round 6 a.m. practices, or at the team's pre-season two-a-days, or in video sessions, or in one-on-one's with Coach K. Show up at just one of their never-ending practices and tell them how they just don't have the "hunger" that the guys had back in "those days." Tell them that they just don't work hard enough. After all, we seem to know better than they do.

This year's struggles (if you can even call them "struggles") have nothing to do with hunger, but with personnel. We don't have a Christian Laettner, a Bobby Hurley, or a Grant Hill on this year's roster. Let alone just one player of that caliber (though you might be able to make a case fior Austin). We have a lop-sided roster of talented but ill-fitting pieces, who have no choice but to contend with each other's flaws. And yet, our boys have still done a damn fine job, easily exceeding any reasonable expectation. We are a 2-seed and a top-ten team with one of the best records in the country (and against one of the toughest schedules in all of the NCAA), and somehow people still feel entitled to question our players' hunger.

Yikes. Happy you guys aren't my boss.

Indoor66
03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I would like to see any DBR poster at one of Duke's year-round 6 a.m. practices, or at the team's pre-season two-a-days, or in video sessions, or in one-on-one's with Coach K. Show up at just one of their never-ending practices and tell them how they just don't have the "hunger" that the guys had back in "those days." Tell them that they just don't work hard enough. After all, we seem to know better than they do.

This year's struggles (if you can even call them "struggles") have nothing to do with hunger, but with personnel. We don't have a Christian Laettner, a Bobby Hurley, or a Grant Hill on this year's roster. Let alone just one player of that caliber (though you might be able to make a case fior Austin). We have a lop-sided roster of talented but ill-fitting pieces, who have no choice but to contend with each other's flaws. And yet, our boys have still done a damn fine job, easily exceeding any reasonable expectation. We are a 2-seed and a top-ten team with one of the best records in the country (and against one of the toughest schedules in all of the NCAA), and somehow people still feel entitled to question our players' hunger.

Well said. I agree with you. Some people never get it.

bird
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
You are so right....and the proof is right here on these boards.........just read the comments........75% of the people commenting on here are scared to death.....look at how many times you see the word HOPE on this board....." i hope this happens and i hope that doesn't happen ".........back in those days, the only place fear existed was on the other bench........in fact, i used to say that Duke players back then should have come out on the floor with tee shirts that said...." NOTHING your mother has taught you will help you now".............LOL !!!.........For opposing teams, playing Duke meant only one thing.......40 minutes of Hell.........regardless of who you were......everybody knew that Duke walked into the building to do one thing..... to slaughter you........and they were probably going to do it...Duke knew how to go in for the kill like nobody else...it was beyond brutal........if you think Duke wasn't intimidating back then, you are badly mistaken.......just ask the Fab 5......or UNLV.....or the guy that Lattener stomped......I LOVED IT !!!....a little bad intentions doesn't hurt a thing........it's time to get back to that.........and it can be done.........

I agree with much of what you say in your various posts. However, I do have a rejoinder:

Jon Scheyer.

K said once that the only statistic that Scheyer cared about was W-L. That was so evidently true. That was one heck of a team and story, between Z's redemption, unconventional "win first" point guard, and on and on. And it was only a couple of years ago.

roywhite
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
As great as that team was (and it was indeed great and a joy to watch) the documentary reminds us just how dangerous the NCAA Tournament single-loss format is.
In some way, the format worked in our favor in 1991 as we beat UNLV, yet could we have beaten them in a best of 7 or even best of 3?
And then in 1992, without Laettner's last shot of a perfect shooting day, we would have lost to a KY team that probably couldn't handle Duke in a longer series, but nearly won that day.

oldnavy
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Really enjoyed the documentary, especially the parts about Christian and Bobby butting heads. Interesting reason Christian gave.... that Coach K gave Bobby the ball at his first practice and said this is Bobby's team....

If you guys want to read a funny book, get "Dont put me in Coach"... by Mark Titus. Has some language, but is a pretty funny read about his life at the end of the Ohio State bench for 4 years....
He and Evan Turner had a rather "interesting" relationship as well, in the sense that they basically hated each other....

Edouble
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
As great as that team was (and it was indeed great and a joy to watch) the documentary reminds us just how dangerous the NCAA Tournament single-loss format is.
In some way, the format worked in our favor in 1991 as we beat UNLV, yet could we have beaten them in a best of 7 or even best of 3?
And then in 1992, without Laettner's last shot of a perfect shooting day, we would have lost to a KY team that probably couldn't handle Duke in a longer series, but nearly won that day.

As you hint at, it all evens itself out. We probably would have won a championship in 1999, but maybe not in 1991. I love the tournament the way it is. Don't add any more games or any more teams!!!

stixof96
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM

here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.........when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out............when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was............WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!...........and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win..........i don't know if the team would believe that today........as far as UNLV went........after Duke beat them , they were done for......Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row........Duke leveled castle in the desert.....after that game , UNLV was more scared of bobby hurley than they were of a rattlesnake......and hurley knew it too.........he would have loved to beat that ast again............LOL !!!!!!!!!!!1

stixof96
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree with much of what you say in your various posts. However, I do have a rejoinder:

Jon Scheyer.

K said once that the only statistic that Scheyer cared about was W-L. That was so evidently true. That was one heck of a team and story, between Z's redemption, unconventional "win first" point guard, and on and on. And it was only a couple of years ago.

i agree totally.........i loved Scheyer.......he was Duke up one side and down the other.....Zubek too.......never quit....i loved singler..........i love Tyler Thornton too.......we just need their attitudes from all of the players ..........and I just am not seeing it from some in the last 2 years......the last 2 years have lacked some of that in my opinion...........i blame it on the one and dones.....i could be wrong, but, that is something we have never gotten involved with before now...and i don't think the experiment is working out for us.....just my opinion.......

roywhite
03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.........when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out............when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was............WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!...........and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win..........i don't know if the team would believe that today........as far as UNLV went........after Duke beat them , they were done for......Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row........Duke dismembered entire castle in the desert.....

I certainly appreciate the win over Kentucky; I was actually at the game in Philadelphia and enjoy seeing and reading about it....well aware of the account of Coach K in the huddle.

As to the present day, we've seen some remarkable finishes from this group of players, from Maui to Chapel Hill being down by 10 with 2:30 left, to being down by 20 against the Wolfpack with 11+ minutes to go.
These players too have demonstrated a remarkable will to win, and I'm certain their coach has communicated in a similar fashion to them.

In some ways, the comebacks this year have been more remarkable, because we don't have a Laettner, Hurley, or Hill. Let's give this team some credit.

stixof96
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I certainly appreciate the win over Kentucky; I was actually at the game in Philadelphia and enjoy seeing and reading about it....well aware of the account of Coach K in the huddle.

As to the present day, we've seen some remarkable finishes from this group of players, from Maui to Chapel Hill being down by 10 with 2:30 left, to being down by 20 against the Wolfpack with 11+ minutes to go.
These players too have demonstrated a remarkable will to win, and I'm certain their coach has communicated in a similar fashion to them.

In some ways, the comebacks this year have been more remarkable, because we don't have a Laettner, Hurley, or Hill. Let's give this team some credit.

Miles Plumlee just said........
I am tired of seeing this team do just enough to win.

He ought to know...........if this team wants credit, they have the opportunity right now to earn a train load of it.......either they will or they won't.........

Rich
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
i agree totally.........i loved Scheyer.......he was Duke up one side and down the other.....Zubek too.......never quit....i loved singler..........i love Tyler Thornton too.......we just need their attitudes from all of the players ..........and I just am not seeing it from some in the last 2 years......the last 2 years have lacked some of that in my opinion...........i blame it on the one and dones.....i could be wrong, but, that is something we have never gotten involved with before now...and i don't think the experiment is working out for us.....just my opinion.......

Dude, what is with your style of writing? What's with the ellipses? Can't you just separate your thoughts with a period? You make some decent points, but it's near impossible to read.

stixof96
03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Dude, what is with your style of writing? What's with the ellipses? Can't you just separate your thoughts with a period? You make some decent points, but it's near impossible to read.

just read it like i am talking to you..........nothing to it.........i'm not a secretary and never had typing in my life........when i graduated from college there wasn't a single computer on the entire campus.........

stixof96
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM

well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely.......all they have to do is play duke basketball and then they can look at people like me and say........" NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ??? "...............and i hope they do just that........

as far as you working for me, you are no where near ready for the world i function in..........you would get eaten alive.......LOL !!!......in time maybe........

Jderf
03-12-2012, 04:04 PM
well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely.......all they have to do is play duke basketball and then they can look at people like me and say........" NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ??? "...............and i hope they do just that........

Yes, but where you and I disagree is that I believe they have already done this. Multiple times this season. Kansas in Maui, NC State in Cameron, UNC in the Dean Dome -- those were all astonishing, gritty performances. What did you have to say after those?

stixof96
03-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes, but where you and I disagree is that I believe they have already done this. Multiple times this season. Kansas in Maui, NC State in Cameron, UNC in the Dean Dome -- those were all astonishing, gritty performances. What did you have to say after those?

oh no buddy..........yesterday is gone........now teams are playing with the most on the line.........this is where we separate the men from the boys...........nobody has proven anything yet..............winners don't live in yesterday..........losers do.........

NSDukeFan
03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I think the danger of the one-and-done format may lead to the fear-mongering that appears on this board quite often. When Duke doesn't play as well as we as fans (or the players and coaches) would hope, or, gasp, loses a game, many find all the reasons this team could not be successful in the tournament. In a one-and-done format, where Duke is normally a very high seed, there is a high statistical probability that Duke will not match its seed every year, in terms of how far the team advances. This is scary and though this team has had a fabulous season, by just about any possible measure, there have been a lot of close games, and if Duke advances far this year, they are unlikely to steamroll many (or any) teams. There is certainly a possibility of Duke getting beat in an early round, if a close game goes wrong. The flip-side of course is that this Duke team has won a lot of close games, beaten a lot of very good teams and can beat anyone on a given day. This is what makes the tournament so exciting/ nerve wracking.

here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.........when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out............when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was............WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!...........and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win..........i don't know if the team would believe that today........as far as UNLV went........after Duke beat them , they were done for......Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row........Duke leveled castle in the desert.....after that game , UNLV was more scared of bobby hurley than they were of a rattlesnake......and hurley knew it too.........he would have loved to beat that ast again............LOL !!!!!!!!!!!1

I bet the 1992 team would be jealous of the UNC and State comeback wins this Duke team had this year. I doubt very much this team lacks belief in their ability or will to win. I doubt very much that Duke team would have beaten the 1991 UNLV team 10 times in a row. I expect with a 1-0 lead, that series would still likely have gone 7-3 UNLV. I doubt very much that team was scared of Bobby Hurley, just as the Fab Five certainly weren't, even after he beat them a few times.

I agree this team deserves a lot of credit for an outstanding season and think you would have to rank Rivers ahead of Laettner, Hurley and Hill after their freshmen years, though their championships obviously occurred when they had more experience.

slower
03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely

Is this something WE can do, or is the team our only hope for salvation? :)

Just........messin............with............you. .........dude............ :)

stixof96
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
let me say this before i get labeled here as a duke basher or something like that...........i absolutely love duke basketball...........i believe this team has everything they need to not just do well in this tournament, but to win this tournament...........they have the best pure shooter in the game in dawkins, he just has to do his thing EVERY TIME he takes the court......no more excuses......they have the best playmaker in rivers he just has to function as a finger on the fist, not the whole fist..........the plumlees are men enough to take on anyone..........curry can be as good as he wants to be..........he is loaded with talent...........thornton can neutralize any star they put in front of him..........kelly is a lethal weapon all over the floor.........and they certainly have the coach to do it........it all boils down to one thing............WILL............do they have the will to do it ???..............every other ingriedent is perfectly in place.........duke is good enough to will themselves to victory against anybody they will play in this tournament......and they should expect nothing less of themselves...........just like you guys have said, they have beaten most of them already...........

stixof96
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Is this something WE can do, or is the team our only hope for salvation? :)

Just........messin............with............you. .........dude............ :)

LOL..........i can take a joke, no problem.....and that was funny..........the team is your only salvation.........to me, winning is a religion...........not a past time.........

slower
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
LOL..........i can take a joke, no problem.....and that was funny..........the team is your only salvation.........to me, winning is a religion...........not a past time.........

Thx, dude - you're a good sport!

Troublemaker
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I love all those players too, but to be honest, I doubt you were singing their praises like this in 2009.

What I've learned about Duke fans is this. When we win a championship, then everything is awesome and the players all had heart. When we don't win, the players lacked toughness and heart.

Same as any other fanbase.

pfrduke
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.........when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out............when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was............WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!...........and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win

In Gene Wojo's recent book (great read, by the way) about the '92 Kentucky game, he included an interesting comment from Bilas about the "we are going to win" from Coach K. Bilas said (and I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the book in front of me) Coach K said this all the time when they had late game huddles when the team was trailing and they won almost none of those games. We romanticize the story when it came out the right way. But they were in the exact same situation in the Wake Forest game earlier that season, I bet Coach K said exactly the same thing in the huddle, they ran exactly the same play, and they lost. Doesn't mean their will to win (or their confidence in their will to win, whatever that means) was any less when they played Wake than it was when they played Kentucky.

Similarly, you mention that Scheyer is emblematic of the type of Duke player who was like those of the past and missing from this team. I love Scheyer, and think he was a great player. But let's also remember that his first three Duke teams lost in the first round (to 11-seeded VCU), the second round (to 7-seeded West Virginia), and in a blowout in the Sweet 16 (to Villanova). Those were three ugly tournament losses. Scheyer's (and Singler's - another player people around here love to refer to as iron-willed) will to win didn't mysteriously materialize after his junior year - it was probably as much there in 2009 as it was in 2010. But the team got a little better, and the ball bounced the right way, and we ended up with a championship.

Psychological projection is probably the greatest fool's errand that we as fans can engage in. We have absolutely no idea what's going on inside these kids' heads. For all I know, Miles Plumlee's will to win is equal to that of Laettner's. But Miles Plumlee the player is nowhere near Christian Laettner the player, and there's only so far that will can get you.

slower
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
In Gene Wojo's recent book (great read, by the way) about the '92 Kentucky game, he included an interesting comment from Bilas about the "we are going to win" from Coach K. Bilas said (and I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the book in front of me) Coach K said this all the time when they had late game huddles when the team was trailing and they won almost none of those games. We romanticize the story when it came out the right way. But they were in the exact same situation in the Wake Forest game earlier that season, I bet Coach K said exactly the same thing in the huddle, they ran exactly the same play, and they lost. Doesn't mean their will to win (or their confidence in their will to win, whatever that means) was any less when they played Wake than it was when they played Kentucky.

Similarly, you mention that Scheyer is emblematic of the type of Duke player who was like those of the past and missing from this team. I love Scheyer, and think he was a great player. But let's also remember that his first three Duke teams lost in the first round (to 11-seeded VCU), the second round (to 7-seeded West Virginia), and in a blowout in the Sweet 16 (to Villanova). Those were three ugly tournament losses. Scheyer's (and Singler's - another player people around here love to refer to as iron-willed) will to win didn't mysteriously materialize after his junior year - it was probably as much there in 2009 as it was in 2010. But the team got a little better, and the ball bounced the right way, and we ended up with a championship.

Psychological projection is probably the greatest fool's errand that we as fans can engage in. We have absolutely no idea what's going on inside these kids' heads. For all I know, Miles Plumlee's will to win is equal to that of Laettner's. But Miles Plumlee the player is nowhere near Christian Laettner the player, and there's only so far that will can get you.

POTD - dead on

Jderf
03-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Psychological projection is probably the greatest fool's errand that we as fans can engage in. We have absolutely no idea what's going on inside these kids' heads.

None whatsoever. This is a fact. Which is why it frustrates me to no end when oblivious fans write off a player's (or a whole team's) entire season by saying they just didn't have the drive, the will, the intensity, the hunger, or whatever buzz-word people choose when they can't accurately analyze a game but still want to offer a reason -- any reason, even if it is completely vacuous -- for why the team fell short. It actually makes me physically angry. I mean, these guys bleed Duke blue, all day, every day, in a way that we fans cannot even begin to comprehend. To suggest that they lack effort at all is beyond asinine.

And besides, what do we base these judgements on? Body language? Facial expressions? Wild inferences? We just have no idea.

(And also, fantastic post, pfrduke. Woulda given you pitchforks but apparently I've been too trigger-happy in the last day or so.)

stixof96
03-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Bilas wasn't on that team or any team like it in my opinion.....Bilas has always worried more about ESPN than Duke........Schyer openly said at the beginning of his senior year that he had a total committment to winning it all, something he had not had in the past.......zubek was nowhere as good as Laettner either, but his will to win was as strong once the tourney started and he achieved the same results......

do not ever underestimate the will to win.......in the end, the team and players that have the greatest will to win, will be the ones to win......there are probably a dozen teams in this tournament this year that have the ingrediants to win........the one with the trophy will be the ones with the greatest will to win...........

if you are trying to convince me that this years team lacks the ingredients to win it all, i ain't buying it......as far as the will to win it all, we will see.........

pfrduke
03-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Bilas wasn't on that team or any team like it in my opinion.....Bilas has always worried more about ESPN than Duke........Schyer openly said at the beginning of his senior year that he had a total committment to winning it all, something he had not had in the past.......zubek was nowhere as good as Laettner either, but his will to win was as strong once the tourney started and he achieved the same results......

Bilas was an assistant coach on that team and in the huddle, as well as in many similar huddles as both a coach and a player.

do not ever underestimate the will to win.......in the end, the team and players that have the greatest will to win, will be the ones to win......there are probably a dozen teams in this tournament this year that have the ingrediants to win........the one with the trophy will be the ones with the greatest will to win...........

This is reductive thinking. It's also incredibly convenient - it allows you to be right, no matter what, because you can always say on April 3 that whichever team won the night before was the one with the greatest will to win, and it will be impossible to prove you wrong. It will also be impossible to prove you right.

if you are trying to convince me that this years team lacks the ingredients to win it all, i ain't buying it......as far as the will to win it all, we will see.........

I'm trying to do nothing of the sort. I, too, think this team has the ingredients to win it all, although it will take them playing their best (and a fair bit of luck) for them to do so. But what I cannot agree with is the notion that if we lose, we lacked the will to win, whereas if we win it all, it's because we had the will to do so.

Jderf
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
But what I cannot agree with is the notion that if we lose, we lacked the will to win, whereas if we win it all, it's because we had the will to do so.

Spot on again. And (I'm not trying to be dismissive here, just discussing the issue) the real problem with stixof96's position as I see it, is that it is actually worse than wrong. Because whether or not the conclusion is correct or incorrect, it is just not very interesting. It doesn't tell us anything about the game itself, or about the plays which decided it. It says nothing about what specific things each player on the court actually did. It ignores the actual events of the game, and instead it simply takes the fact that one of the teams won, and from there it moves backwards towards an "explanation:" they had more heart.

Beyond that, it is disrespectful to the losing team, who probably gave everything they had and left just as much on the court as the winners.

Again, I hope I don't come across as harsh or anything like that, I just happen to disagree with you very strongly.

rthomas
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
just read it like i am talking to you..........nothing to it.........i'm not a secretary and never had typing in my life........when i graduated from college there wasn't a single computer on the entire campus.........

What college did you go to?

blueduke59
03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Loved the doc. Brought back many pleasant memories. I hope the Fab Five watched it. Was much better than the ESPN doc about them. Wonder if they've ever realized just how petulant they actually were?

stixof96
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Spot on again. And (I'm not trying to be dismissive here, just discussing the issue) the real problem with stixof96's position as I see it, is that it is actually worse than wrong. Because whether or not the conclusion is correct or incorrect, it is just not very interesting. It doesn't tell us anything about the game itself, or about the plays which decided it. It says nothing about what specific things each player on the court actually did. It ignores the actual events of the game, and instead it simply takes the fact that one of the teams won, and from there it moves backwards towards an "explanation:" they had more heart.

Beyond that, it is disrespectful to the losing team, who probably gave everything they had and left just as much on the court as the winners.

Again, I hope I don't come across as harsh or anything like that, I just happen to disagree with you very strongly.

First, there is certainly no sin in disagreeing with me..........i respect your right to disagree with me no matter how harshly you do it, so don't worry about that........
I come from the vince lombardi generation and i am a living disciple of his.......here is what he said about the will to win.....he talked about it all the time.............

“Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.”

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

“All right Mister, let me tell you what winning means... you're willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else.”

“The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.”

stixof96
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
What college did you go to?

i have 2 degrees from 2 different colleges.........neither one duke........but both 4 year universities.....the last one in 1980.....i am old school......can you tell ???.....LOL !!!.......

Jderf
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
“Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.”

Haha, sorry I was being so cautious. Some people take things personally, which I like to avoid. The last thing I will say is this:

I agree with you that the will to win is extremely important. You must have it if you want to do well in sports -- or anything, for that matter. But I disagree that losing means that you did not have the will to win. A team can have the ultimate will to win and yet still lose. Those teams can simply be overmatched, they can have a bad night, or they can just get hit by bad luck. It happens. And if, despite our best efforts, this Duke team gets knocked out earlier than expected, I will argue that we were one of those unfortunate, but strong-willed teams.

kingboozer
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
It's available on iTunes now for $3.99 FYI

stixof96
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Haha, sorry I was being so cautious. Some people take things personally, which I like to avoid. The last thing I will say is this:

I agree with you that the will to win is extremely important. You must have it if you want to do well in sports -- or anything, for that matter. But I disagree that losing means that you did not have the will to win. A team can have the ultimate will to win and yet still lose. Those teams can simply be overmatched, they can have a bad night, or they can just get hit by bad luck. It happens. And if, despite our best efforts, this Duke team gets knocked out earlier than expected, I will argue that we were one of those unfortunate, but strong-willed teams.

i am not taking this personal........don't know where that came from.........i have competed in a very high level environment many, many times in my life....from those experiences i have learned something....when you are surrounded by quality competition, the winner usually is the one that refuses to lose.........i strongly believe in the power of refusing to lose...........

Edouble
03-12-2012, 10:56 PM

I seriously doubt LJ and crew were scared of Bobby Hurley. That was a great win, but it seems silly to inflate it beyond what actually happened. The fact that UNLV would never be scared of Duke was what made it so great.

Also, you can't say that everybody on the Duke bench believed Coach K 100%. That's just not reasonable. It's true that Laettner did, but he was pathologically competitive, as he hinted at in the documentary. If you watch the documentary, it is pretty clear that Grant Hill did not believe 100% that we were going to win the game. He bought into the idea, sure, but he was still hesitant. It was not until he stepped on the court and saw that noone was guarding the inbounds pass that he became fully confident that it would work (from what he said in the documentary).

Also, I agree with another posters comment that your posts are not reader friendly. I will probably start skipping them if you keep writing them this way. It is sort of dizzying.

stixof96
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I seriously doubt LJ and crew were scared of Bobby Hurley. That was a great win, but it seems silly to inflate it beyond what actually happened. The fact that UNLV would never be scared of Duke was what made it so great.

Also, you can't say that everybody on the Duke bench believed Coach K 100%. That's just not reasonable. It's true that Laettner did, but he was pathologically competitive, as he hinted at in the documentary. If you watch the documentary, it is pretty clear that Grant Hill did not believe 100% that we were going to win the game. He bought into the idea, sure, but he was still hesitant. It was not until he stepped on the court and saw that noone was guarding the inbounds pass that he became fully confident that it would work (from what he said in the documentary).

Also, I agree with another posters comment that your posts are not reader friendly. I will probably start skipping them if you keep writing them this way. It is sort of dizzying.

one thing is very clear.......there are a lot of people on this board who have never peronally experienced competition at extremely high levels......or struggle..........both are the greatest lessons in life.........

Edouble
03-12-2012, 11:14 PM
one thing is very clear.......there are a lot of people on this board who have never peronally experienced competition at extremely high levels......or struggle..........both are the greatest lessons in life.........

This is probably the most far-reachingly offensive post I have ever read on DBR. You know nothing of anyone's struggles around here sir. Keep the talk to hoops, not personal/life judgement.

Zeb
03-13-2012, 12:58 AM

another thing is very clear..........there is one poster in this thread who prides himself on his will to win..............but is too old.....or simple minded........ to learn how to use punctuation........ one of the basic lessons in writing.

LSanders
03-13-2012, 02:49 AM
It's available on iTunes now for $3.99 FYI

Never comes up when I search. Would appreciate a link. Thanks!

Edouble
03-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Never comes up when I search. Would appreciate a link. Thanks!

I found it pretty easily, just now.

I went to the iTunes store through the iTunes on my computer, chose the TV Shows dropdown menu, selected Shows Just Added, and it's on that page--the first show on the third column down.

AZLA
03-13-2012, 04:27 AM

This isn't true. When the Duke players came to the huddle in the Wake Forest game, Coach K said to the team, "Look, we're definitely not going to win this game. You can go ahead and give it a college try, but let's save up our mojo for a bigger game, say like the regional finals in the NCAA tourney against Kentucky."

True story, Scouts honor.

Actually, the big difference between those teams and when Coach K said "we are going to win" comes down to the person listening to it -- Laettner. He truly believed it, which is something he says repeatedly about buying into what Coach K was teaching. Coach K was why he came to Duke, and Coach K helped Laettner maximize his potential and be fiercer competitor.

Edouble
03-13-2012, 05:08 AM
This isn't true. When the Duke players came to the huddle in the Wake Forest game, Coach K said to the team, "Look, we're definitely not going to win this game. You can go ahead and give it a college try, but let's save up our mojo for a bigger game, say like the regional finals in the NCAA tourney against Kentucky."

True story, Scouts honor.

Actually, the big difference between those teams and when Coach K said "we are going to win" comes down to the person listening to it -- Laettner. He truly believed it, which is something he says repeatedly about buying into what Coach K was teaching. Coach K was why he came to Duke, and Coach K helped Laettner maximize his potential and be fiercer competitor.

They are the same team. Laettner was there for both games.

Matches
03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
I found it pretty easily, just now.

I went to the iTunes store through the iTunes on my computer, chose the TV Shows dropdown menu, selected Shows Just Added, and it's on that page--the first show on the third column down.

Is this the final version? Seems like there were rumors of an expanded version dropping later this week?

Jderf
03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
i am not taking this personal........don't know where that came from.........i have competed in a very high level environment many, many times in my life....from those experiences i have learned something....when you are surrounded by quality competition, the winner usually is the one that refuses to lose.........i strongly believe in the power of refusing to lose...........

I actually was not in any way trying to imply that you were taking things personal. I always appreciate level-headedness, as I do here.

Since this debate is taking an ad hominem turn, I'd like to point out that I have also competed in a very high-level environment many, many times in my life (and by high-level, I am talking about international competition, with multiple US national championships in my event -- its not very often that I get to brag about it :D). What I've found is that when you get to the highest level in any sport, at a certain point you will have sifted out all the people who lack a strong enough will to win, and you are left competing only against the elite. At that level, everybody has a supreme will to win, otherwise they would not have gotten that far in the first place. From that elite group, what determines the winner is often not will, but a combination of natural talent, strategy, split-second execution, and -- of course -- luck. And I can tell you with apodictic certainty that in the years where I won my event, as well as in the years where I lost my event, my "will to win" was no less strong than it was any other year.

Bringing it back to this year's Duke team, I can promise you that every one of our players is infused with the highest competitiveness, the greatest possible will to win. Otherwise they never would have earned a spot on the roster to begin with. Our guys leave everything they have on the court, every time they go out there. And that fact will continue to be true, no matter how lucky or unlucky they may be in the coming weeks.

killerleft
03-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Yep... I have just skipped all those posts after the second one.

kingboozer
03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Is this the final version? Seems like there were rumors of an expanded version dropping later this week?

The one on iTunes is the one they showed at CIS on the 2nd and it has more footage than the one they aired on TruTV so I'm assuming this is the expanded version.

Matches
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
The one on iTunes is the one they showed at CIS on the 2nd and it has more footage than the one they aired on TruTV so I'm assuming this is the expanded version.

Awesome - thank you. Will be downloading it once I get home this evening.

Jderf
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Awesome - thank you. Will be downloading it once I get home this evening.

Same. I almost forgot that the first time I checkd this thread I was actually interested in the documentary, haha. Got a little sidetracked :o. Excited to finally watch it tonight.

stixof96
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I actually was not in any way trying to imply that you were taking things personal. I always appreciate level-headedness, as I do here.

Since this debate is taking an ad hominem turn, I'd like to point out that I have also competed in a very high-level environment many, many times in my life (and by high-level, I am talking about international competition, with multiple US national championships in my event -- its not very often that I get to brag about it :D). What I've found is that when you get to the highest level in any sport, at a certain point you will have sifted out all the people who lack a strong enough will to win, and you are left competing only against the elite. At that level, everybody has a supreme will to win, otherwise they would not have gotten that far in the first place. From that elite group, what determines the winner is often not will, but a combination of natural talent, strategy, split-second execution, and -- of course -- luck. And I can tell you with apodictic certainty that in the years where I won my event, as well as in the years where I lost my event, my "will to win" was no less strong than it was any other year.

Bringing it back to this year's Duke team, I can promise you that every one of our players is infused with the highest competitiveness, the greatest possible will to win. Otherwise they never would have earned a spot on the roster to begin with. Our guys leave everything they have on the court, every time they go out there. And that fact will continue to be true, no matter how lucky or unlucky they may be in the coming weeks.

congrats on your successes......semms that you attribute it mostly to luck..........luck, from my experiences, is a by product of the will to win......and the refusal to lose........vince lombardi agreed with me on this...........

stixof96
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Winners never make excuses for losing, especially before the game starts. That is something losers do. I never thought I would see the day that Duke fans would start cooking up excuses for losing before the devils even took the floor.
( see, i can type properly, but it takes me longer, LOL )

tendev
03-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Talent helps a whole helluva lot. Will can only take you so far. Talent for a sport or anything begets enjoyment from doing that sport or thing and enjoyment begets more practice and work which begets more success and eventually achievement at the highest level.

The will to win is highly correlated with talent and of the two I think talent is far more important. Let's get real. The 91-92 teams had a ton of talent.

stixof96
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Talent helps a whole helluva lot. Will can only take you so far. Talent for a sport or anything begets enjoyment from doing that sport or thing and enjoyment begets more practice and work which begets more success and eventually achievement at the highest level.

The will to win is highly correlated with talent and of the two I think talent is far more important. Let's get real. The 91-92 teams had a ton of talent.

Tell me when was the last time the most talented team in the tournament won it ? Everybody has talent, loads of it.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Tell me when was the last time the most talented team in the tournament won it ? Everybody has talent, loads of it.

2010, 2001, 1991 and 1992 are the only years I can think of. ;)

AZLA
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
They are the same team. Laettner was there for both games.

I know, I thought that my sarcasm was obvious. Guess not.

stixof96
03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
2010, 2001, 1991 and 1992 are the only years I can think of. ;)

I hear ya daddy !!!!!...............lol !!!!!

mpholt
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe not the best thread for it, but closest one that came up in my search.. Thomas Hill states that he wasn't crying post-game...

http://deadspin.com/5897795/thomas-hill-dukes-famous-weeper-finally-confesses-i-wasnt-crying

Alex18
03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
As a teenager who's first real duke memories was j.j and Shelden, this was a really good documentary showing just how good laettner Hurley hill and the rest of the 91-92 teams were

roywhite
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Just caught this again, shown on the NBA channel (216 on DirecTV). Nice part of an Independence Day Holiday viewing.

This was a 90-minute version, and even more enjoyable than the 60-minute show I saw the first time (on TRU TV?)
Check local listings; believe it will be shown again soon.

msdukie
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Duke_Blue_Devils/Duke_Blue_Devils_1991-92_Back_to_Back_Champions_DVD