PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Lehigh, NCAA Round of 64 Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Discuss our Round of 64 matchup with the Lehigh Engineers Mountain Hawks here.

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
CJ Mccollum is a heck of a player.....he could give us a run for our money if we aren't ready for it/looking ahead to the next round

Newton_14
03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
CJ Mccollum is a heck of a player.....he could give us a run for our money if we aren't ready for it/looking ahead to the next round

What about inside play? Do they have any big guys? First order of business for Duke is to get healthy, and out of the offensive funk. Getting Ryan back will help tremendously.

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
What about inside play? Do they have any big guys? First order of business for Duke is to get healthy, and out of the offensive funk. Getting Ryan back will help tremendously.

Not sure. I just hear about CJ all the time from an LU alum i know...but i'd bet not much

OldPhiKap
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Not sure, but do not think they are a big rebounding team.

coldriver10
03-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Maybe this was the more appropriate place to ask this (but I'm not sure how to delete my post in the other thread). Anyone have any idea when we'll find out the game time? Thanks, and Go Duke!

Bob Green
03-11-2012, 06:51 PM
It appears Duke and Lehigh have two common opponents: St. John's University and Michigan State. Duke beat both while Lehigh lost to both:

Duke 83, St. John's 76
St. John's 78, Lehigh 73

Duke 74, Michigan State 69
Michigan State 90, Lehigh 81

Chris Randolph
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I expect a good game. Everyone gives Duke their best shot, right? I just hope Duke can do the same. If Duke doesn't play well, we could see a similar game to the one against Belmont in 2008

davekay1971
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Agreed that nothing should be taken for granted with this team, and definitely not this time of year. Lehigh may have lost to our two common opponents, but, at least by the final score, they didn't get blown out by either. Our guys need to focus on their defense, owning the glass, and good, patient offense. If we do that we should move on.

1 24 90
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe this was the more appropriate place to ask this (but I'm not sure how to delete my post in the other thread). Anyone have any idea when we'll find out the game time? Thanks, and Go Duke!

They may reveal the times later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. Last year, Duke played their first game in the afternoon session and unc played the evening session.

DukeGirl4ever
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like their starting line-up is 6'0, 6'3 (McCollum), 6'6, 6'8, and 6'9.

Mason and Miles need to take it to 'em.

Greg_Newton
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
It appears Duke and Lehigh have two common opponents: St. John's University and Michigan State. Duke beat both while Lehigh lost to both:

Duke 83, St. John's 76
St. John's 78, Lehigh 73

Duke 74, Michigan State 69
Michigan State 90, Lehigh 81

Interesting also that Lehigh played both games at SJU and MSU, while Duke played at Cameron and MSG, respectively. Lehigh is by far the best #15 seed, ranked in the low-80's by most of the algorithms. That's better than a lot of teams we've been in close games with.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Interesting also that Lehigh played both games at SJU and MSU, while Duke played at Cameron and MSG, respectively. Lehigh is by far the best #15 seed, ranked in the low-80's by most of the algorithms. That's better than a lot of teams we've been in close games with.

Yeah. Lehigh was up 3 at half vs. Michigan State in East Lansing on 12/22. They ended up scoring 81 on the 3rd most efficient defense in the country.

I mean, we had a tough time with Wake Forest. I fully expect this to be a close game.

loran16
03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
According to Pomeroy, Lehigh is basically the equivalent of Virginia Tech. So keep that in mind - VaTech was a team that gave us some issues, but never truly seemed to be better than us.

Without RK, there might be some annoyances. With RK, we should be fine.

gofurman
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
According to Pomeroy, Lehigh is basically the equivalent of Virginia Tech. So keep that in mind - VaTech was a team that gave us some issues, but never truly seemed to be better than us.

This is the only game that matters right now.. ok , I grant a little look ahead to X vs ND but beyond that really is pointless as (hopefuly !) a lot of upsets will occur and no tellin' who will be out there - IF we are even still in the thing. Go underdogs ! (escept when we play)

CDu
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM

They have bodies, but that's about it. They mostly shoot 3s. They average over 20 attempts per game and make just over 7 of them (35.7%). 10 different guys are at 29.8% or better from 3, with 8 guys shooting 33.8% or better.

Their leading rebounder is a guard (McCollum). They run a ton of bodies out there, but not many of them are very good.

TexHawk
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
KU played Lehigh in the 1-16 game in 2010, when McCollum was a freshman. They gave us all we could handle for the 1st half and the first 7-8 minutes of the 2nd. McCollum ended up with 26 against a really good defensive KU team (#1 or #2 in Kenpom).

DukieTiger
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I see they have a number of 6'6 type guys but not much real size. I hope we emphasize the bigs in this game, contain their stud guard and not let them spread us out with all those mid-sized players.

CDu
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Lehigh's strength is our strength defensively: the 3 point shot. They shoot a bunch of them, and they shoot it reasonably well. They don't have much of an inside game. Even their bigs (who aren't that big) are perimeter shooters.

We have to work hard to contain McCollum while not allowing wide open looks for their shooters, and defensive rebounding is a must. And on the other end, we need to dominate the glass whenever we miss.

We're much better than them, but they shoot the 3 and they have a star player and that makes them dangerous.

Newton_14
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Lehigh's strength is our strength defensively: the 3 point shot. They shoot a bunch of them, and they shoot it reasonably well. They don't have much of an inside game. Even their bigs (who aren't that big) are perimeter shooters.

We have to work hard to contain McCollum while not allowing wide open looks for their shooters, and defensive rebounding is a must. And on the other end, we need to dominate the glass whenever we miss.

We're much better than them, but they shoot the 3 and they have a star player and that makes them dangerous.

Seeing their results against Mich St and St Johns makes me nervous. Neither team blew them out. Good news is, this weekend notwithstanding, this Duke team plays better on the road. I kind of half hoped that Duke would choose to wear Blue every game in the ACC Tourney, just to keep the road game mindset.

If we play defense the way we did in Atlanta, and make shots, we should be ok. Regarding Kelly, Vitale stated on ESPN's Bracketology show, that the Duke staff indicated Ryan will be ready to go on Friday. That is great news if accurate.

DallasDevil
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
7:15 Friday night.

gofurman
03-11-2012, 10:34 PM

This is the only game that matters right now.. ok , I grant a little look ahead to X vs ND but beyond that really is pointless as (hopefuly !) a lot of upsets will occur and no tellin' who will be out there - IF we are even still in the thing. Go underdogs ! (escept when we play)

on ething I like about Lehigh - they only play McCollum 32 minutes a game and Nutson(sp?) 25 mins a game. Nutson is the 2nd best score rebounder behind McCollum. Nutson get about 12pts and 6 boards a game. Despite the great production it seems the Lehigh coach is so deveoted to keeping fresh legs Nutson is only on the court 25 mins+. I like that. Great - take your best players out. Even McCollum - absolutely great - plays 32 minutes. I would have thought he would have played about 36. also mo

So the best players

1) McCollum number 3 - 6'3 guard junr; who rebounds wonderfully ()please BLOCK OUT) - 21 ppg , 6 rbg, 3.5 apg, 2.6 spg ! (impressive steals and rebounds , esp as a combo guard). This guy looks to be the real deal

2) Knutson number42 - 6'9 220 forward Junr ; 12 pts and 5 rpg

3) Greiner #20 - 6'7 210 F Junr ; 10 pts and 5 rpg

4) Mcknight #11 - 6'0" 170 G Sophmr ; with 8pts, 4 boards, about 4 assists per game. Looks like lead guard for team.

dyedwab
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
...we need to do everything that everyone else has been saying (defense, shoot better, protect the ball, etc)

But the key to the game is the performance of Miles and Mason. Lehigh hasn't played anybody with the size/athleticism of the Plumlees - neither SJU or Michigan State have guys like that, and they certainly don't have those guys in the Patriot League.

So, yeah, they are tough, and provide a matchup issue for us on the perimeter. But our matchup advantage inside should be greater - and if we use that to control the boards and control the lane defensively, we should be fine (he says as he crosses his fingers)

Greg_Newton
03-11-2012, 10:41 PM
http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5998 (http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5998')

The good news: we get Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg, with no Elmores to be found.

The bad news: our game immediately follows UNC's. This will be an away game.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5998 (http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5998')

Our game and unc's are different sessions, actually. They have to be that way, so that each sessions winner's play in the round of 32.

davekay1971
03-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Duke gets the downside of the pod system, really unique to our situation. For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans. We'd be far more advantaged having our first weekend anywhere outside of the state of North Carolina. Oh well, we won a natty in 2010 playing a string of away games.

jv001
03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Duke gets the downside of the pod system, really unique to our situation. For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans. We'd be far more advantaged having our first weekend anywhere outside of the state of North Carolina. Oh well, we won a natty in 2010 playing a string of away games.

We just treat it as an ACC road game and we'll be just fine. Don't want the guys to get the idea we're playing at home. GoDuke!

Greg_Newton
03-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Our game and unc's are different sessions, actually. They have to be that way, so that each sessions winner's play in the round of 32.

That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00471DEC239062

1 24 90
03-11-2012, 11:02 PM
That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00471DEC239062

True but maybe they'll go out to dinner instead of watching Duke.

burnspbesq
03-11-2012, 11:05 PM

Phew. No conflict with the men's lax game against Carolina, which is at 5:00 Eastern.

dyedwab
03-11-2012, 11:06 PM
For being a high seed we get rewarded with playing in front of our arch-rival's fans.

Well, last time we played in a building filled with Carolina fans, it worked out OK

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 11:09 PM
That doesn't matter ticket-wise, though, does it? I may be mistaken, but it looks like the tickets are for all sessions:

Ticketmaster may sell the entire region at once, but there are three separate tickets. Always have been. I have two separate tickets from last year's round of 64 games in Denver.

DallasDevil
03-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Ticketmaster may sell the entire region at once, but there are three separate tickets. Always have been. I have two separate tickets from last year's round of 64 games in Denver.

This only applies to the Lehigh game, though. It is the Round of 32, where the quality of our opponent will be higher, that this could really be a factor, and for that round there is just one ticket to both games.

gofurman
03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
on ething I like about Lehigh - they only play McCollum 32 minutes a game and Nutson(sp?) 25 mins a game. Nutson is the 2nd best score rebounder behind McCollum. Nutson get about 12pts and 6 boards a game. Despite the great production it seems the Lehigh coach is so deveoted to keeping fresh legs Nutson is only on the court 25 mins+. I like that. Great - take your best players out. Even McCollum - absolutely great - plays 32 minutes. I would have thought he would have played about 36. also mo

So the best players

1) McCollum number 3 - 6'3 guard junr; who rebounds wonderfully ()please BLOCK OUT) - 21 ppg , 6 rbg, 3.5 apg, 2.6 spg ! (impressive steals and rebounds , esp as a combo guard). This guy looks to be the real deal

2) Knutson number42 - 6'9 220 forward Junr ; 12 pts and 5 rpg

3) Greiner #20 - 6'7 210 F Junr ; 10 pts and 5 rpg

4) Mcknight #11 - 6'0" 170 G Sophmr ; with 8pts, 4 boards, about 4 assists per game. Looks like lead guard for team.

addition: Lehigh looks like they steal the ball a lot / they usually end up on the + side of the turnover battle... but aren't too good on the boards. As an example, 6'3" McCollum is about their best rebounder .. sounds like a smaller "usual" Duke team - stealing a lot of balls, creating turnovers to negate a rebound disadvantage. They shoot the three well too.

Chicken Little
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM

ESPN showing 7:15 ET Friday

gep
03-11-2012, 11:41 PM
We just treat it as an ACC road game and we'll be just fine. Don't want the guys to get the idea we're playing at home. GoDuke!

Well, last time we played in a building filled with Carolina fans, it worked out OK

Just what I was thinking. And, just maybe, the unc fans making "noise" (as much as wine and cheese guys can) will only help Duke.

GO DUKE!!!!

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Hey guys,
Lehigh is sort of my back-up team I follow here on a local level. As many posters have noted, this will be a tough game should we not be ready at tip off on Friday. I have seen this team play both on TV and in person numerous times under Brett Reed, and hope I can help educate those that might not know the Mountain Hawks very well.

Lehigh has given Michigan State (L by 9), Iowa State (L by 11), and St. John's (L by 5) all great tests while on the road this season. They are currently playing their best basketball, and defeated Bucknell twice in Lewisburg to reach this point. I'm very surprised they ended up on the 15 line, because they made such an effort to test themselves outside the conference. They played the above teams I mentioned, and only took to their home floor 3 times in Nov/Dec. Lehigh also enters winners of 8 straight.

I agree with all of the posters mentioning the importance of a healthy RK and a strong showing by the Plumlees. Duke obviously has the height advantage, but Lehigh is very versatile. Several different players can shoot the ball from deep.

It should be noted Lehigh, with McCollum, loves to play an uptempo style. That could play into the hands of Duke, should the Devils be able to wear down and turn Lehigh over.

Starting Five
G: Mackey McKnight 6'/170/Soph.
Though just a sophomore, McKnight is a two-year starter for Lehigh. McKnight enters Friday averaging over 8 points, and just south of 4 assists per game. In the 3 games this year against power conference teams, he has struggled at times taking care of the ball, averaging 1 A to each TO. For the season he averages nearly 2 TO per game. McKnight is more dangerous off of the dribble which is important, because he wants to get to the line. This year McKnight shot 78.5% from the stripe.
G: CJ McCollum 6'3''/190/Jr.
This guy needs little introduction. Much of the story line around this game Friday will be how Duke defends CJ. I assume they will go with Rivers, anytime Austin is in the game. McCollum ranks as a future NBA Draft choice, and is two-time Patriot Lg POY. CJ was PL POY his freshman year, when they won the league and bowed out to Kansas. He had 26 in the game, despite going 7 of 21 shooting. McCollum is a tremendous creator for himself, using a deadly mid-range step-back shot to provide separation in contested shots. He will share PG responsibilities with McKnight. Draft Express ranks him right around Dre and Seth, but obviously since he is the focal point around his team he is much more of a finished product
F: Jordan Hamilton 6'6''/205/Sr.
Hamilton has been huge in Lehigh's improvement this season. Little used as a freshman and sophomore, Hamilton has started every game he's played this season. Averaging 6.6 ppg, he remains Lehigh's third or fourth option offensively. That being said, he shoots it 34% from deep, and 81% from the foul line.
F: John Adams 6'6''/225/Sr.
Adams spent much of his first three seasons in the dog house of Brett Reed. This year, he's turned that around. After being a reserve the first 2/3 of the year, Adams became a starter on Feb. 11. In the eight games he's started, Lehigh is 8-0, and he's averaged 6.3 ppg/4 rpg/.391 3PT%. He is an undersized 4, which has led him to find foul trouble. Michigan St. was able to foul him out in 13 minutes back in December.
F: Gabe Knutson 6'9''/220/Jr.
Knutson really turned up his play in the Patriot Lg. final vs. Bucknell. In the game he went for 23 points, including a huge made 3-pointer. He is very skilled, albeit against other mid-major teams, in isolation situations in the post. Knutson, who is a lefty, shoots it 77% for his career at the foul line.

Key Reserves
G: BJ Bailey 6'3''/185/Soph.
Bailey's season stats are about as deceiving as you'll find. After spending a long period of time battling post concussion syndrome, Bailey played just 45 minutes until Feb. 11. Similar to Adams, that's when Lehigh really stepped up. The Boston University-transfer averaged 8 ppg/3 rpg/.691 FG%/.750 3pt%/23 mpg. for Lehigh during the Patriot Lg. tourney.
F: Holden Greiner 6'7'/210/Jr.
Greiner started at the 4 for Lehigh all year until an ankle injury sidelined him on Feb. 11, making room for Adams in the lineup. For the season, Greiner has averaged 10 ppg and 5 rpg. The move to the bench as you would imagine, has limited his opportunities. In 7 games as a reserve, he's scored in double figures just once. A 44% field goal shooter for the year, Hamilton has shot 35% off the bench. The Traverse City, Michigan-native had his best scoring performance during his homecoming at Michigan St., when he had 24 points.
F: Justin Maneri 6'8''/240/Sr.
Maneri comes off of the bench as an energy type for Lehigh. He could be pivotal in this game however, should Duke get Knutson into early foul trouble. However, Maneri can find foul trouble as well. Michigan St. held him scoreless in 9 minutes, and had him pick-up 4 fouls. St. John's kept him to 2 points in 4 minutes, as again he had 4 fouls. Maneri is a tough kid that isn't afraid to mix it up inside. His older brother was a standout football player at Temple, and currently plays TE for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Hope this has helped. Should be an exciting one on Friday.

Go Duke!

Reilly
03-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Lehigh's coach has some N.C. ties:

"Prior to his time at Lehigh, Reed served as the top assistant coach at High Point University in North Carolina for two seasons. ...

Reed spent the 1999-2000 season as the Director of Basketball Operations at the University of North Carolina - Greensboro."

Hope he's not old buddies with the Greensboro clock operators or something ....

OldPhiKap
03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Lehigh's coach has some N.C. ties:

"Prior to his time at Lehigh, Reed served as the top assistant coach at High Point University in North Carolina for two seasons. ...

Reed spent the 1999-2000 season as the Director of Basketball Operations at the University of North Carolina - Greensboro."

Hope he's not old buddies with the Greensboro clock operators or something ....

Wasn't Coach G's husband the head coach there for a spell?

Anyway, should be a tough game. We need to get the business done.

Matches
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Just what I was thinking. And, just maybe, the unc fans making "noise" (as much as wine and cheese guys can) will only help Duke.

GO DUKE!!!!

This phenomenon gets overstated b/c people (myself included) have bad memories of the 2005 subregional in Charlotte. We were an unexpected participant there that year, though - UNC fans knew they were going and bought up all the tickets.

This year it's been pretty clear for quite awhile that we'd be in Greensboro along with UNC. We'll be well-represented. UNC fans outnumber us, of course, but we can fill up a gym.

jv001
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Wasn't Coach G's husband the head coach there for a spell?Anyway, should be a tough game. We need to get the business done.

I thought he was at Elon, but he may have been a coach there as well. GoDuke!

1 24 90
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
ESPN showing 7:15 ET Friday

The game is on CBS - ESPN doesn't have the tournament.

UrinalCake
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
The game is on CBS - ESPN doesn't have the tournament.

I think he meant ESPN's website is currently showing that the game will be played at 7:15...

I'm not too worried about the UNC fans. I mean there are Duke fans around here too, right? Let's worry more about the team on the other side of the court.

Bob Green
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Here is a link to an article at lehighvalleylive.com that includes some comments from Lehigh coach and players about playing Duke:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2012/03/lehigh_university_mens_basketb_49.html

“Greensboro, here we come,” Lehigh coach Brett Reed said. “We’re going down there with a purpose and a mission, and that is to compete with and beat Duke.”

CDu
03-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Just to clarify: Lehigh is similar in efficiency to VT, but they are by no means basically the equivalent of VT. VT gave us issues because of their athleticism, length, and aggressiveness. Those are not Lehigh's strengths. Now, that's not to say that Lehigh can't give us trouble. But it'd be a much different kind of trouble than what VT caused.

I just wanted to bring this up because style of play makes a big difference even when the efficiency numbers are the same. For example, Notre Dame is far superior to VT in both offensive and defensive efficiency. But their approach is much more suited to our strengths than VT's style. It sounds weird, but I might actually rather face Notre Dame than VT even though Notre Dame is unquestionably the better team.

Neals384
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Hey guys,
Lehigh is sort of my back-up team I follow here on a local level. As many posters have noted, this will be a tough game should we not be ready at tip off on Friday. I have seen this team play both on TV and in person numerous times under Brett Reed, and hope I can help educate those that might not know the Mountain Hawks very well.

Lehigh has given Michigan State (L by 9), Iowa State (L by 11), and St. John's (L by 5) all great tests while on the road this season. They are currently playing their best basketball, and defeated Bucknell twice in Lewisburg to reach this point. I'm very surprised they ended up on the 15 line, because they made such an effort to test themselves outside the conference. They played the above teams I mentioned, and only took to their home floor 3 times in Nov/Dec. Lehigh also enters winners of 8 straight.

I agree with all of the posters mentioning the importance of a healthy RK and a strong showing by the Plumlees. Duke obviously has the height advantage, but Lehigh is very versatile. Several different players can shoot the ball from deep.

It should be noted Lehigh, with McCollum, loves to play an uptempo style. That could play into the hands of Duke, should the Devils be able to wear down and turn Lehigh over.

Starting Five
G: Mackey McKnight 6'/170/Soph.
Though just a sophomore, McKnight is a two-year starter for Lehigh. McKnight enters Friday averaging over 8 points, and just south of 4 assists per game. In the 3 games this year against power conference teams, he has struggled at times taking care of the ball, averaging 1 A to each TO. For the season he averages nearly 2 TO per game. McKnight is more dangerous off of the dribble which is important, because he wants to get to the line. This year McKnight shot 78.5% from the stripe.
G: CJ McCollum 6'3''/190/Jr.
This guy needs little introduction. Much of the story line around this game Friday will be how Duke defends CJ. I assume they will go with Rivers, anytime Austin is in the game. McCollum ranks as a future NBA Draft choice, and is two-time Patriot Lg POY. CJ was PL POY his freshman year, when they won the league and bowed out to Kansas. He had 26 in the game, despite going 7 of 21 shooting. McCollum is a tremendous creator for himself, using a deadly mid-range step-back shot to provide separation in contested shots. He will share PG responsibilities with McKnight. Draft Express ranks him right around Dre and Seth, but obviously since he is the focal point around his team he is much more of a finished product
F: Jordan Hamilton 6'6''/205/Sr.
Hamilton has been huge in Lehigh's improvement this season. Little used as a freshman and sophomore, Hamilton has started every game he's played this season. Averaging 6.6 ppg, he remains Lehigh's third or fourth option offensively. That being said, he shoots it 34% from deep, and 81% from the foul line.
F: John Adams 6'6''/225/Sr.
Adams spent much of his first three seasons in the dog house of Brett Reed. This year, he's turned that around. After being a reserve the first 2/3 of the year, Adams became a starter on Feb. 11. In the eight games he's started, Lehigh is 8-0, and he's averaged 6.3 ppg/4 rpg/.391 3PT%. He is an undersized 4, which has led him to find foul trouble. Michigan St. was able to foul him out in 13 minutes back in December.
F: Gabe Knutson 6'9''/220/Jr.
Knutson really turned up his play in the Patriot Lg. final vs. Bucknell. In the game he went for 23 points, including a huge made 3-pointer. He is very skilled, albeit against other mid-major teams, in isolation situations in the post. Knutson, who is a lefty, shoots it 77% for his career at the foul line.

Key Reserves
G: BJ Bailey 6'3''/185/Soph.
Bailey's season stats are about as deceiving as you'll find. After spending a long period of time battling post concussion syndrome, Bailey played just 45 minutes until Feb. 11. Similar to Adams, that's when Lehigh really stepped up. The Boston University-transfer averaged 8 ppg/3 rpg/.691 FG%/.750 3pt%/23 mpg. for Lehigh during the Patriot Lg. tourney.
F: Holden Greiner 6'7'/210/Jr.
Greiner started at the 4 for Lehigh all year until an ankle injury sidelined him on Feb. 11, making room for Adams in the lineup. For the season, Greiner has averaged 10 ppg and 5 rpg. The move to the bench as you would imagine, has limited his opportunities. In 7 games as a reserve, he's scored in double figures just once. A 44% field goal shooter for the year, Hamilton has shot 35% off the bench. The Traverse City, Michigan-native had his best scoring performance during his homecoming at Michigan St., when he had 24 points.
F: Justin Maneri 6'8''/240/Sr.
Maneri comes off of the bench as an energy type for Lehigh. He could be pivotal in this game however, should Duke get Knutson into early foul trouble. However, Maneri can find foul trouble as well. Michigan St. held him scoreless in 9 minutes, and had him pick-up 4 fouls. St. John's kept him to 2 points in 4 minutes, as again he had 4 fouls. Maneri is a tough kid that isn't afraid to mix it up inside. His older brother was a standout football player at Temple, and currently plays TE for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Hope this has helped. Should be an exciting one on Friday.

Go Duke!

Good stuff, neighbor! That Maneri sounds like he should be an NHL enforcer. Can't wait to see him and Miles mix it up some.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Except that Lehigh is playing in the big dance...

Olympic Fan
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Why do people keep saying this?

Yeah, Duke had a bad experience in Charlotte in 2005, but that was a fluke (for reasons pointed out by Matches).

We played in the same building with UNC in 2009 (Greensboro) and again last year (Charlotte). There was no problem on either occassion -- we had a heavily pro-Duke crowd for our four games.

We are MUCH better off playing in Greensboro than out-of-state. I have to think the heavily pro-Duke crowd in Charlotte last year helped the Devils win a nail-biter against Michigan. As the front page points out, Greensboro has been VERY good to Duke in the NCAAs.

That said, I respect Lehigh -- they are good enough to beat us if we don't play well. And I expect a battle from either Xavier or Notre Dame Sunday (in the NCAA situations, permissable to look ahead to the extent of taking each weekend as a four-game tournament).

It's not going to be easy -- but sharing the building with UNC fans is not one of the things that worries me.

sagegrouse
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Why do people keep saying this?

Yeah, Duke had a bad experience in Charlotte in 2005, but that was a fluke (for reasons pointed out by Matches).

We played in the same building with UNC in 2009 (Greensboro) and again last year (Charlotte). There was no problem on either occassion -- we had a heavily pro-Duke crowd for our four games.

We are MUCH better off playing in Greensboro than out-of-state. I have to think the heavily pro-Duke crowd in Charlotte last year helped the Devils win a nail-biter against Michigan. As the front page points out, Greensboro has been VERY good to Duke in the NCAAs.

That said, I respect Lehigh -- they are good enough to beat us if we don't play well. And I expect a battle from either Xavier or Notre Dame Sunday (in the NCAA situations, permissable to look ahead to the extent of taking each weekend as a four-game tournament).

It's not going to be easy -- but sharing the building with UNC fans is not one of the things that worries me.

The other point is -- well -- if Duke or any team doesn't want to play at an in-state site, claiming it is hostile territory, then I believe the NCAA would be happy to accommodate.

sagegrouse

Kfanarmy
03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
is really number one on my mind and I hope the teams...How many DBR members are going?

OldPhiKap
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I went to the games in Charlotte last year (round of 32). 60% of the crowd was against UNC when the game got close; 65% against Duke when Michigan got close. Not much difference, really. In either the Duke or Carolina game, the opponent and all fans from the other team will pull against the favorite. Marginal difference.

K said last year, and this year, that he wanted to play in the close Carolina site. he obviously favors distance over any potential issues with the crowd. FWIW.

COYS
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
To me, the advantages gained by playing close to Durham at the end of a grueling season and in an arena in which many of our players have already played FAAAAR outweigh any issue with the crowd. The only other possible arena where Duke MIGHT prefer to play would be either MSG or North Jersey, and even then we wouldn't want to face a Big East team in that environment. I think in any venue in the country the top dog team is going to face a general hostile crowd if there is significant overlap with fans from other teams being the bleachers. No one (or, very few) besides Duke fans wants Duke to win. No one besides Hole fans want to see UNC advance. If the underdog puts up a fight, the fans of other teams will jump on the bandwagon. Nevertheless, i can't imagine that Duke would have significantly better fan attendance somewhere else. Add that the guys will all be fresh and ready to go, and I can't see any reason to stray from NC for as long as possible.

UrinalCake
03-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Some classmates of mine went to Lexington in 1998 when we played our opening games there. It was brutal. They would walk down the sidewalk in their Duke gear and parents approaching them would take their children's hands and walk them across the street so they wouldn't have to make eye contact with the Duke people. Rumor has it that there is an unwritten rule/courtesy that the #1 seed in each region gets first priority as to which hotel they want to stay in. The Kentucky locals completely ignored this when Duke was making their reservations.

Agree that the neutral fans in the arena are always going to pull for the underdog. Also, while UNC and Duke fans universally hate each other, the players all know each other and are presumably more amicable and respectful to one another, so I wonder if having them share the building provides any sense of comfort in the sense of familiarity.

watzone
03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Who better to break down Lehigh than the assistant coach who scouted them and made the game plan? Jeff Capel shares his thoughts - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/03/duke-associate-head-coach-jeff-capel-breaks-down-lehigh-for-bdn-premium/

Chris Randolph
03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Well it is gameday. How is everyone's vibe about the game? I feel... Uneasy. This season, this team's play has frustrated me more at times than ever so there is some doubt in my mind going in. I feel the game will be close and if it is in the 2nd half, the neutral crowd will back Lehigh. I hope ALL of the Duke players take Lehigh serious for the full 40 minutes.

Bob Green
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
How is everyone's vibe about the game?

I'm confident the team is going to hit the court and play with pride.

The Gordog
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Well it is gameday. How is everyone's vibe about the game? I feel... Uneasy. This season, this team's play has frustrated me more at times than ever so there is some doubt in my mind going in. I feel the game will be close and if it is in the 2nd half, the neutral crowd will back Lehigh. I hope ALL of the Duke players take Lehigh serious for the full 40 minutes.

Honestly, I feel very confident heading into this first weekend. We are close to home but the players have gotten away from the girlfriends which I suspect has been messing with their at home performance.
:cool:
Stay focused, men!

Chris Randolph
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm confident the team is going to hit the court and play with pride.

Is this your way of stating the obvious or you are not too confident of the other aspects of the team/game?

Bob Green
03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Is this your way of stating the obvious or you are not too confident of the other aspects of the team/game?

I'm confident on all aspects of the team/game. We will handle business this weekend.

Chris Randolph
03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm confident on all aspects of the team/game. We will handle business this weekend.

Good to hear Bob! I trust your instincts! :)

jipops
03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm anticipating a stressful game to watch. I feel like we're in a somewhat similar position as Cuse right now.

Edouble
03-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Honestly, I feel very confident heading into this first weekend. We are close to home but the players have gotten away from the girlfriends which I suspect has been messing with their at home performance.
:cool:
Stay focused, men!

Or boyfriends?

I am feeling nervous, just like before any big March game. I'll calm down once the ball is tipped and I can see our guys out on the floor, get a feel for the opponent, start yelling and getting out some of this nervous energy. I watched hoops for the full 12 hours yesterday, but today my focus has been off, 'cause the initial excitement of day one is gone and I only really care about one game today. If we take good shots, play good D, and if our big guys play hard but intelligently, we'll win the game, I should think.

GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!!

proelitedota
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I want smart and hard basketball ball played by our team, no matter if we're down or up by two dozen.

riverside6
03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=13831

UrinalCake
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Good to see we're looking inside early. Monster slam by mason!

UrinalCake
03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
The Plumlee Dunking Company is open for business!

WVDUKEFAN
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Mason looks great. I hope Curry gets his game back at some point. He's just been off.

gep
03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
only watching boxscore... Austin has 2 fouls? out for the half? Andre shooting, off today again?

uh_no
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
only watching boxscore... Austin has 2 fouls? out for the half? Andre shooting, off today again?

curry with 2 also now, lehigh's perimeter D is relentless, and they're fighting much harder for rebounds

UrinalCake
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
10 points in 8 minutes. Offense not running all that well. Need to go on a little run here.

BlueDGal
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
oh God...duke looks awful on offense....again.

Chris Randolph
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Ohhhh boy.... Ohhhh boy.... Not liking the vibe of this game. Missed shots aren't bugging me too much. Getting out worked and hustled is

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Good to see we're looking inside early. Monster slam by mason!

Didn't seem to last long. We pass away from the wings back to middle before our bigs can even set up. Of all the games when I thought we would just continue to dump it inside non-stop. But alas... we are stubborn... Oy.

ice-9
We are not going inside enough...too many long jumpers leading to leak outs and fast breaks for lehigh.

slower
Apparently, Andre is wearing his cloak of invisibility. Quinn and Miles took long jumpers instead of getting Andre the ball. I mean, at least SEE if he can get it going.

gumbomoop
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Still early, but so far Lehigh much more active, block out,, follow shots, spirited. Duke guys, not so much on those fundamentals so far. Still early. No, Austin has only one, I think.

uh_no
03-16-2012, 07:39 PM
We are not going inside enough...too many long jumpers leading to leak outs and fast breaks for lehigh.

they're doing a great job a) pressuring the guards so its difficult to make the pass, and b) the guys guarding the plums are doing a great job denying that pass

BlueDGal
03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
stop dribbling around....geesh.

slower
03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Looks like it's gonna be Plumlees or bust tonight.

Ugly.

Again.

I mean, honestly, there's NO excuse for this. Please spare me all the usual arguments.

House G
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
I feel like we are playing Butler.

gumbomoop
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Andre's shot missing. He's also given up 2 and-ones with weak fouls.

rtnorthrup
03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Kelly injured and Andre missing in action. Go ahead and strap in, this one is going to be tight.

ice-9
03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
they're doing a great job a) pressuring the guards so its difficult to make the pass, and b) the guys guarding the plums are doing a great job denying that pass

Right...sorry didn't realize we are the more talented 2nd seed playing against the 15th seed. No wonder we can't execute our game plan.

MartyClark
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
If Andre could just hit a shot, any shot, even a layup, I think the lid might come off the basket for him.

Utley
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Guards all look off. We need some attitude here big time.

CAT Blue Devil
03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
2 of 14 if you take away Mason.

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Dre might not be playing if he were on the other team. He is 0-4 from the arc and has two fouls. What is wrong with his game? Maybe he's injured or suffering from an illness.

subzero02
03-16-2012, 07:45 PM
We need to see a 3 drop... Ryan Kelly's absence is hurting us right now. A screen and a QUICK drive by Austin might not hurt either.

Chris Randolph
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
People are laughing at and bashing Mizzou. But if this keeps up, I will hibernate for the rest of the month

mndukie
Andre's shot missing. He's also given up 2 and-ones with weak fouls.

He really needs to start bringing something to the table, I get he has the ability to shoot at a high level. But when his shot isn't falling he brings very little to enhance our play. I know this isn't breaking news but the kid's finishing his junior year, it would have been nice if he could have found a way(s) to positively impact a game on top of his jump shot by now.

uh_no
Right...sorry didn't realize we are the more talented 2nd seed playing against the 15th seed. No wonder we can't execute our game plan.

Just because we're more talented does not mean other teams cannot do things to interrupt our game plan....in fact that is exactly how you win against a more talented team....you disrupt normalcy. Its rather arrogant to think a less talented team cannot possibly find a way to make it difficult for us to exercise our strengths.

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Austin seems to miss his second free throw more than he makes it. Maybe he stops concentrating.

jipops
03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Excruciating to watch, as predicted.

rtnorthrup
03-16-2012, 07:50 PM
We have no confidence right now, playing very tight.

ice-9
Just because we're more talented does not mean other teams cannot do things to interrupt our game plan....in fact that is exactly how you win against a more talented team....you disrupt normalcy. Its rather arrogant to think a less talented team cannot possibly find a way to make it difficult for us to exercise our strengths.

How many times has miles rolled in after the pick and been open and still not receive the pass?? I count at least three.

Lehigh has played as if they want this more. They are playing well, we are not.

wacobluedevil
Thankfully Lehigh is missing many of its foul shots.

uh_no
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
How many times has miles rolled in after the pick and been open and still not receive the pass?? I count at least three.

Lehigh has played as if they want this more. They are playing well, we are not.

We've had trouble getting passes off the pick and roll all year...this isn't new, its a function of inexperienced point guards, and the pass looking deceptively easy on tv.

I would argue the rebounding numbers are more advantage that they're fighting a bit harder.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Thankfully Lehigh is missing many of its foul shots.

As I said.

uh_no
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
fouls are going to be huge down the stretch...we have 4 guys with 2 now....

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Thank you, Lehigh 31.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Thankfully Hairston came to play.

slower
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Crowd on the verge of turning strongly in Lehigh's favor.

_Gary
03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Crowd on the verge of turning strongly in Lehigh's favor.

Of course. All the UNC fans. That's not a shock at all.

grossbus
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
What has happened to our shooting?

Have never understood why we switch bigs onto guards.

mndukie
fouls are going to be huge down the stretch...we have 4 guys with 2 now....

I know we absolutely dread using a zone defense but we may have no choice.

They've hit some shots, and correct me if I missed any of the scouting comments earlier, but are they a lethal outside team?

Sgt. Dingleberry
I liked that last drive by Seth. He looks pissed.

Guys just need to play with more confidence and aggression on the offensive end. A 3 falling would be nice too!:rolleyes:

BlueDGal
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
guards 0-12.

_Gary
We are seeing why having quick guards, with great command of their dribble, makes things so much easier on the offensive end. Lehigh's guards are schooling us by getting into the lane at will. We don't have one player, outside of Austin (who's seemed to regress a bit in that area), who can do what the Lehigh guards do. It's a big, big deal in my opinion. And there really is no answer for us on that front. On top of that, without Kelly to create a little more space, the problem is exasperated all the more.

OldSchool
We came out running more motion offense rather than the high pick and roll like we often do.

When we get the defense in motion and then get it to our big guys, we get paid off with dunks or fouls. But just trying to feed the bigs on entry passes isn't working.

I would like to see us do more high pick and roll in this game and throw it over the top. We would really start collecting fouls on their front line.

OldSchool
03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Our defense isn't what's letting us down, even with giving up some avoidable transition baskets Lehigh is scoring so far on pace for only in the 50's.

wgl1228
03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Ok guys settle down and put the ball in the hole.

MartyClark
03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
We are seeing why having quick guards, with great command of their dribble, makes things so much easier on the offensive end. Lehigh's guards are schooling us by getting into the lane at will. We don't have one player, outside of Austin (who's seemed to regress a bit in that area), who can do what the Lehigh guards do. It's a big, big deal in my opinion. And there really is no answer for us on that front. On top of that, without Kelly to create a little more space, the problem is exasperated all the more.

Agree. We don't have anyone, other than Austin, who is consistently quicker than their counterpart on the opposition. We've done a good job this year of winning games in spite of this but its a significant problem.

jipops
03-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Excruciating to watch, as predicted.

ice-9
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
We've had trouble getting passes off the pick and roll all year...this isn't new, its a function of inexperienced point guards, and the pass looking deceptively easy on tv.

I would argue the rebounding numbers are more advantage that they're fighting a bit harder.

C'mon man...I can make that pass. We don't need to make excuses for our players.

The announcers said it best, that we need to be "deliberate" about making the inside pass. For the first quarter, first third of the game, we were NOT deliberate. We took too many quick threes and long twos that clanked off the iron and led to Lehigh fast breaks, instead of being patient and working the ball. That, compounded with Lehigh's penetration and forcing turnovers, is what's accounting for the score. We are very, very lucky that Lehigh missed so many easy shots.

(To our credit we did get better at executing. But still...let's not pretend our performance is within expectations.)

nyesq83
Ok guys settle down and put the ball in the hole.

Dawkins chunks a two. Finally.

Coach K: "We're limited" = "My guards had better make shots or we are going home tonight."

gumbomoop
We are seeing why having quick guards, with great command of their dribble, makes things so much easier on the offensive end. Lehigh's guards are schooling us by getting into the lane at will. We don't have one player, outside of Austin (who's seemed to regress a bit in that area), who can do what the Lehigh guards do. It's a big, big deal in my opinion.

Amen. That end-of-half 2-for-1 drive by Lehigh guard an excellent example. Handle is single most important physical skill for perimeter players, by far, IMO. Andre an example of why.

Nice mid-jumper by Andre to spoil Lehigh's 2-for-1 plan, thank goodness.

K did walking off interview. Has Collins already been hired at Ill? [Small attempt at comic relief.....]

Son of Mojo
I hope that shot is what finally gets Andre going--if we're going to win this game and any further, he's got to show up and produce something. Got to get the fire in the belly and pound them down. I'd rather let McCollum attempt jumpers than let him drive. Might need to implement that into the defense and close their driving lanes.

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Forget that the threes aren't dropping, don't we have a lock down defender we can put on #3?

arnie
03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Watching the offensive sets closely - don't recall seeing this much standing around. I don't get it - it appears Lehigh is the better team.

rtnorthrup
Consistently feeding the post is simply not in our DNA.

uh_no
I hope that shot is what finally gets Andre going--if we're going to win this game and any further, he's got to show up and produce something. Got to get the fire in the belly and pound them down. I'd rather let McCollum attempt jumpers than let him drive. Might need to implement that into the defense and close their driving lanes.

We haven't been able to accomplish that all year, I'm not sure we'll be able to start doing so against a player Mccollum's caliber.

jipops
03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I thought we were playing Lehigh, a Patriot League team. A team of McDonald AAs vs. a team without a player Duke even barely considered.

See anybody on our roster with the quickness of Lehigh's?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm just wondering what the gameplan is. Because it's really hard to discern at this point. I've never seen a team stand still as much as we are... and literally looking at each for direction.

Honestly, even K's halftime comments just now were surprising. To just say that we are "limited" without Ryan is frustrating. We all know that. But there has to be an alternate plan. Let's hope they find the missing playbook at halftime.

jipops
03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Barkley made a good point. Duke has a hard time winning if one of the Plumlees is the leading scorer.

_Gary
03-16-2012, 08:17 PM
We aren't going to magically change as a team at this point. Over the course of the entire year we have lived and died by our guard play, especially on the offensive end with long range shots. If those aren't falling, I seriously doubt we can or will morph into a different animal in order to compensate. It just isn't going to happen. Hence, we'd all better be praying for the 3 ball to start falling at a better rate than we've seen thus far.

Utley
03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm just wondering what the gameplan is. Because it's really hard to discern at this point. I've never seen a team stand still as much as we are... and literally looking at each for direction.

Honestly, even K's halftime comments just now were surprising. To just say that we are "limited" without Ryan is frustrating. We all know that. But there has to be an alternate plan. Let's hope they find the missing playbook at halftime.

I agree - not quite leadership inspirational material.

turnandburn55
Consistently feeding the post is simply not in our DNA.

Scoring without dribbling around a lot is simply not in the Plumlees' DNA.

azzefkram
We just can't seem to get any dribble penetration. They are doing a great job on Austin.

60's Devil
03-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Inability to penetrate or to defend penetration is a very big deal. They have taken our guards out of the game. This is very painful to watch. Doubt if we will use a zone but we may need to. Coach K, at the half, blamed our problems on the absence of Kelly. The problem is lack of penetration and quickness. Their defense is so good that we can,t get an open three. Kelly's absence is a factor, but every game this year except a couple has been like a root canal. Happy to have a halftime lead!

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 08:22 PM
The fellow announcer Smith made a point. Except for Rivers they have guards as good as we do,but there is no answer for the Plumlees. Pound it inside and free up some open looks from outside.

Greg_Newton
Halftime speech:

Do not take a shot outside of 15 feet. Exception is if you're WIDE open from a kickout from a doubleteam.

The end.

No excuse for not exploiting our massive size advantage. Taking a 3 when the ball hasn't gone inside 15 feet in this game is just dumb, weak basketball.

OldSchool
I'm just wondering what the gameplan is.

My take is that the gameplan coming out was to run motion offense and let our guys loosen up and just make plays, and to give Andre plenty of opportunity to get his groove back.

Hopefully we'll come out in the second half with a game plan of throwing it up for Miles and Mason to get it at the rim and collect fouls or layups. Lehigh simply cannot match up with Miles and Mason, but they have been doing a pretty good job of matching up with our guards.

Utley
03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Halftime speech:

Do not take a shot outside of 15 feet. Exception is if you're WIDE open from a kickout from a doubleteam.

The end.

No excuse for not exploiting our massive size advantage. Taking a 3 when the ball hasn't gone inside 15 feet in this game is just dumb, weak basketball.

I totally agree - you go with the hand you're dealt.

BlueandWhite
03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
We just can't seem to get any dribble penetration. They are doing a great job on Austin.

Their perimeter defense has been excellent, and from the start of the game they have defended Austin particularly well.

So...time for Duke to work harder on offense than they are on defense to create better shots, set screens...MOVE ON OFFENSE AND STOP STANDING AROUND...and negate Lehigh's quickness...Duke guards, no one is going to hand you open shot opportunities...

nyesq83
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
1 of 10 from 3 in Greensboro. Never would have guessed.

DesertDevil
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
When you play a team that overplays on D like Lehigh does, you've got to take advantage of that. Space wide once in a while, pull the posts up high & get some back cut layups. The D will soften quickly.

azzefkram
03-16-2012, 08:28 PM
When you play a team that overplays on D like Lehigh does, you've got to take advantage of that. Space wide once in a while, pull the posts up high & get some back cut layups. The D will soften quickly.

Sounds good but I can't remember the last time I saw a duke player make a back door cut.

Utley
03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
How about us playing one of our best 2nd halves of the year - right now.

DevilYouthCoach
I agree that there has to be some psychological weakness undercutting this team. They have shown the will to win many times this year, but they have some really puzzling behaviors. Dawkins just disappearing, Mason also. Miles making a huge leap forward a half dozen games ago. Curry and Rivers getting worse rather than better for the past ten games or so. Tyler Thornton never improving his shot the whole year. And the team as a whole never really becoming a great defensive team, such as we are used to seeing in the Duke defenses of old. Really and truly we have gotten worse throughout the year, I think. What the heck is going on?

That said, Let's Go Duke. Play tough this half!

UrinalCake
Sounds good but I can't remember the last time I saw a duke player make a back door cut.

The high post only makes sense if Ryan is out there. With either Plumlee the defender will just sag off of him.

azzefkram
How about us playing one of our best 2nd halves of the year - right now.

Here here. I'm all for that

dairedevil
03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
in the first half (both teams)....hope that changes in the second half. The refs really were calling it close, and our guards suffered for it, with Rivers, Curry and Thornton all having 2. That was bound to disrupt some of the game flow. Now, with the refs be consistent, or will they swallow their whistles in the second half?

rtnorthrup
03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
1 of 10 from 3 in Greensboro. Never would have guessed.

Not many of them have been good looks. A lot of contested or step back threes. We just cant get ourselves open anymore.

turnandburn55
03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Mason Plumlee is certainly doing a nice job answering everyone's questions about why we don't "feed the post" more.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
in the first half (both teams)....hope that changes in the second half. The refs really were calling it close, and our guards suffered for it, with Rivers, Curry and Thornton all having 2. That was bound to disrupt some of the game flow. Now, with the refs be consistent, or will they swallow their whistles in the second half?

You know it's bad when Duke can't even "get all the calls" against a 15 seed.

That said, ugly game, but they're still up by 2. If they even play halfway as good as they're capable, they win going away.

gep
03-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Seth with 4 fouls...:confused:

Utley
Nice start guys. Dawkins time!

azzefkram
I wish Hairston was taller

muzikfrk75
03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Seth with 4 fouls. Ouch.

That being said, let's go Duke! We refuse to lose in the Boro!

nyesq83
03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Consistently calling fouls on Seth, anyway. Plumlee socked in the stomach on the dunk but the official did not see it.

dairedevil
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Stupid, stupid 4th foul on Curry...somebody else better step up or we will follow Missouri home.

comdytrd
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Put Kelly in?.

gep
03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
maybe a "short" willis reed moment?

uh_no
Put Kelly in?.

he didn't dress, if i heard correctly at the start of the game

OldSchool
Mason Plumlee is certainly doing a nice job answering everyone's questions about why we don't "feed the post" more.

How about if our guards deliver a bounce pass above the knees? Or just throw it over the top, where only Mason can go up and get it? We can make plays like the pass to Miles at the rim that he dunked all day long if our guards would properly deliver the goods.

jipops
03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
NOW we are limited. No Curry.

gep
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
holy smokes... well, at least there's 5 more minutes until 10 minutes left in the game:cool:

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Move over, Mizzou, we just might be joining you. Slow and incapable of making shots.

buddy
03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Is our game plan really to feed Hairston in the corner?

_Gary
Boy this game has a really bad feel to it right now. I don't like the body language I'm seeing right now from the Duke players. Feels like everyone is just resigned to a certain fate. Not sure what buttons Coach has left to push, but if he has any he's got to push them now.

uh_no

hairson consistently knocks down the 18 fter....just not tonight apparently....

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 08:50 PM
We have a huge size advantage, but we can't get the ball to them.

DevilYouthCoach
Put Kelly in?.

I don't see a single bright light out there on the court on our side. We don't seem to have any idea of how to play this game. And Coach K seems rather passive and resigned.... I don't get it.

FerryFor50
He's currently shooting better than Dawkins and Rivers.

So... let him shoot.

Devilsfan
Com on mam!

ChrisP
I'm sorry, but Duke is playing really, REALLY stupid right now. Curry's 4th was so obvious, I called it from my couch before the ref did. He had is hand right on McCollum! And then don't even get me started on Mason's light tap of the guy AS he's making a layup. Dude, either pull back and don't foul, or don't let him make the freakin' basket! And I love Josh's energy and enthusiasm, but if a 15 foot jumper from him is our only offense, we are in big, big trouble. I have been semi-frustrated with this team all year but now I'm just about ready to give up. We just don't look ready to play tonight. And yes, I know we're without Ryan but OMG, if we can't handle Lehigh without ONE player, we're just not that good, folks.

Sgt. Dingleberry
Paging Austin Rivers....

It's time for you to take over this game.

nyesq83
03-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Rivers to Hairston, how many assists does Rivers have to Hairston this year?

Bench looks like they already conceded.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
We have a huge size advantage, but we can't get the ball to them.

And when we manage to do it we travel with the ball.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Rivers looks like he may be coming to life.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
YES... go after McCallum. Get him the heck out of there.

_Gary
03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I think what we've done the last couple of trips down the court is what we will have to do, almost exclusively, from this point forward to win - just give it to Austin and get out of the way. I'm serious too!

dairedevil
Drawing foul #3 on McCollum.

nyesq83
YES... go after McCallum. Get him the heck out of there.

Not soon enough.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
How does McCallum get so many foul calls on so little contact?

gep
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Rivers looks like he may be coming to life.

I hope the whole Duke team wakes up at the 10 minute mark... seems that's where it happens

rtnorthrup
03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
We are in real trouble.

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
If they don't they'll have plenty of time to sleep.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 08:59 PM
We are in real trouble.

We are indeed.

dairedevil
Well, we woke up the crowd - unfortunately they are cheering loudly for the underdog.

Better figure out a way to fix this fast.

Sgt. Dingleberry
I don't care what the seedings say....We are the underdog right now...

That being said....Let's Go Duke!!!

Keep you head up Dre!

rtnorthrup
We have completely conceded our height advantage. 4 guard lineup.

_Gary
Yikes. Feels like we are going home, folks. It really does. Still, there's time to turn this thing around. Problem is, I honestly don't know how it will happen. This game feels very much like a few we saw in the Greg Paulus years when opposing guards just dominated us.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2012, 09:00 PM
We've got to do something or else this could be the season. I really don't want it to end like this.

Jeff0r3
03-16-2012, 09:01 PM
so disappointed right now.. Just feels like they are making simple fundamental mistakes. Typical for much of this season...

nyesq83
03-16-2012, 09:01 PM
We started running motion offense and then just relied on not so open threes with no one in position to rebound.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:02 PM
My theory is that some rogue Carolina fans replaced the rims after their game.

And wtf was that walk on Mason? He got PUSHED.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 09:02 PM
'Bout time we got it inside.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Austin Rivers time.

dukebluelemur
03-16-2012, 09:04 PM
That said, good things are happening when Rivers takes it inside.

A-Tex Devil
Rivers is in good with his numbers guy, though. Clearly. Isolation play with rivers and Mason rest of game. We win by 10.

nyesq83
Hope we don't need that timeout later.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Alright! They are feeling the pressure, too. This is good. They don't look unaffected like Norfolk did against Mizz. That was a little scary.

FerryFor50
McCallum is trying to have a one man "one shining moment." Hope he keeps trying by jacking up contested 3s instead of driving...

wacobluedevil

It's only our second t.o.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2012, 09:06 PM

No need to handle things like Roy. I think we can take over from here without the TO.

FerryFor50
How did that dude NOT get T'd up for his tantrum?

wacobluedevil
Showing some life finally.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Looks like we woke up....

And Lehigh is starting to lose their composure. Now is the time to step on the gas!

Gthoma2a
03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Yikes...

muzikfrk75
03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
The energy level has definitely increased.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Dang it. Lucky rainbow 3 by Lehigh settles them down.

Need to keep scoring and keep the pressure on them!

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
So the question is: do we want this? I mean, is the wanna' there?

gep
03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
shades of Belmont? pull it out at the end? or VCU... I'm hoping for Belmont

Mr.Analogy
So the question is: do we want this? I mean, is the wanna' there?

That's been the question all season long.

OldSchool
Rivers is in good with his numbers guy, though. Clearly. Isolation play with rivers and Mason rest of game. We win by 10.

Mason is 9-9 from the floor. If Austin keeps being aggressive he can start putting them in some serious foul trouble.

Sgt. Dingleberry
LOL.

This is too good.

If this team played my middle school team it would somehow be a nail biter that came down to the last two minutes.

I don't have any answers, except......LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Devilsfan
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't remember it being this painful watching a Duke team play since Coach was out.

nyesq83
Lehigh shoots 78 percent from free throw line. This will not be fun.

LSanders
Is there some reason we're not pick 'n rolling the crap out of them?

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
We throw the ball at the knees of Mason, making him the smallest guy on the floor.

Mr.Analogy
03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Is there some reason we're not pick 'n rolling the crap out of them?

The same reason we can't hit the three...it's just not there. It hasn't been there most of the season and it's not showing up tonight....

Gthoma2a
Chemistry just doesn't seem right. We are playing so disjointedly. There is no cohesive strategy on either end of the floor.

muzikfrk75
I don't remember it being this painful watching a Duke team play since Coach was out.

22-11.

Greg_Newton
Lord, that was a middle school Y-league fourth foul by Mason there. Jump way too early, sail in, and hack down blindly.

You just have to be smarter than that in this type situation.

trinity79
03-16-2012, 09:14 PM
i got nothing. neither, it seems, do we tonight. Congrats to Lehigh.

uh_no
03-16-2012, 09:14 PM

jeez people...its a 3 point game with 6 minutes left......really?????

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow. So McCallum can run through Curry... and Duke gets called for an intentional foul?

nyesq83
No reshowing of Thornton's foul?

OldSchool

Way too early for that. This Duke team is maddening but they can suddenly run off a dozen points like snapping your fingers. Which I wish they would do now!

Mr.Analogy
03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Lord, that was a middle school Y-league fourth foul by Mason there. Jump way too early, sail in, and hack down blindly.

You just have to be smarter than that in this type situation.

It's hard to watch the guys so out of sync, committing silly fouls and turn overs, not hitting 3's.....

If they are lucky enough to win tonight I don't see how Duke can beat Baylor if they meet....

uh_no
Wow. So McCallum can run through Curry... and Duke gets called for an intentional foul?

that was bullocks....not sure what they saw there....apparently it was thornton? did he push him from behind?

jipops
Overachieving throughout the season tends to make us severely overrated.

Gthoma2a

Agreed. We still have time. We just need to start using it and playing together.

A-Tex Devil
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Andre - we aren't going to cover. You are good. Let's go win the game now.

Fellas - go to the damn rim!

Mr.Analogy
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Kevorkian it. Put us all out of our misery.

LOL, that's what I said in the first half. Just get this season over with already, we're tired of this same old show....

Just let the tar holes choke and someone other than UK win the title and we'll all look on to next season....:cool:

uh_no
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
bad charge call....

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Nothing is going right... only 4 minutes to turn it around.

Sigh.

dairedevil
Agreed. We still have time. We just need to start using it and playing together.

and yet, it seems we're playing isolation with Curry and Rivers...with nobody there to rebound if they miss.

uh_no
turning point?

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Bad turnover, great hustle and pass by Tyler.

Maybe that should be our offense.

A-Tex Devil
Ummm. Mason is good against this team. Austin and Mason pick and roll the rest of the game. This is easy fellas. Don't lose to 1 stars.

Gthoma2a
I hate this tournament sometimes. It is the only time I have to worry about losing to the Lehighs of the world. They aren't bad, but the loss would sound bad.

wacobluedevil
03-16-2012, 09:21 PM
This is cruel, Devils. You show some life, and then...

trinity79

This is not UNC or Florida State or even St. Johns
Really? Believe me, I wish this were some sort of a dream.
4:06 to go. Really. 3:13, down by 3. Sheesh.

Greg_Newton
lol

This may end disastrously for us, but no matter what, you gotta love Tyler Thornton.

FerryFor50
Ummm. Mason is good against this team. Austin and Mason pick and roll the rest of the game. This is easy fellas. Don't lose to 1 stars.

10-10 so far from the field.

Why is he ONLY 10-10?

He should have at least 15 shot attempts by now... not feeding your best option enough.

_Gary
03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Mason has to hit both these!

Gthoma2a
This is cruel, Devils. You show some life, and then...

They're still showing life. It isn't over yet. The key is win and survive. If we can make it until Ryan comes back, we could do some things.

gep
on the other hand, Seth is 0-10

wacobluedevil
lol

This may end disastrously for us, but no matter what, you gotta love Tyler Thornton.

No doubting his effort, or some of the plays he's made.

ice-9
Please mason sink these two foul shots...we need em!

_Gary
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
10-10 so far from the field.

Why is he ONLY 10-10?

He should have at least 15 shot attempts by now... not feeding your best option enough.

Well, to be fair we have fed him a couple of times this half where he's dribbled and allowed a defender to strip the ball cleanly from him.

wacobluedevil
Well, to be fair we have fed him a couple of times this half where he's dribbled and allowed a defender to strip the ball cleanly from him.

But not where he can do something with it. We throw it low, and they steal it.

Gthoma2a
Let's get some boards!

uh_no
03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Let's get some boards!

the fact that they're so close on rebounding margin is inexplicable

FerryFor50
But not where he can do something with it. We throw it low, and they steal it.

Yea, why would you throw it up high to the tallest player on the floor?

Gthoma2a
What was that?!

OldSchool
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Andre afraid to shoot an open 3.

JD79
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Indeed.