PDA

View Full Version : West/Phoenix region discussion (Michigan State #1)

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Discuss the West region here. Michigan State is the 1 seed.

Acymetric
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Virginia as a 10...any thoughts on what that means for other ACC bubble teams?

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
UVA is in....If i'm missouri, not sure i like the matchup in the second round with florida. Missouri is likely the top 2 seed, so they see the easiest of the 3 and 7 seeds

jamos14
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
This regional is substantially weaker than the South. I think Mizzou goes through them. Kentucky got the shaft as the#1 overall.

pfrduke
03-11-2012, 06:23 PM
UVA is in....If i'm missouri, not sure i like the matchup in the second round with....i just forgot who they showed

Florida (or, I suppose, UVA, but if I'm Missouri, I like a matchup with UVA).

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
This regional is substantially weaker than the South. I think Mizzou goes through them. Kentucky got the shaft as the#1 overall.

missouri is a higher seed than Duke, or so it would seem....which is why it looks easier from the perspective of the 2 seed.

Louisville and Marquette are both dangerous teams.

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:26 PM

yeah...i meant the matchup with florida is no pushover..

loran16
03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
The South has all the big names, but MSU is in for a toughie.

This has EIGHT Pomeroy Ranked Top 20 teams (The East has 4) - #3, #8, #9, #13, #15, #18, #19, and #20.

Poor MSU has to face either the #9 team (Memphis) or #15 team (SLU) in the SECOND ROUND. By Contrast, Kentucky has either #30 Iowa State or #36 UConn.

YIKES!

CoachJ10
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Do we know if Sene is coming back for the NCAA's for UVA?

sporthenry
03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
After filling out a bracket, this quadrant is very underwhelming. No clue who to take. Mizzou and Marquette both lack size yet lucked out and got each other. Additionally, MSU is a bit underwhelming but can't really find a team to pick against them.

gumbomoop
03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I assume - but maybe not - this is a record for early-start in an NCAAT game: UL-Davidson tip-off is 10:40 a.m., Portland local time. This is necessary to accommodate EDT viewers of the final game that eve in Portland, which will begin roughly 9:45 EDT.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I like this region. I feel like the middle #6 Murray State, #7 Florida, #8 Memphis and #9 Saint Louis could all pull off upsets and make the sweet 16, or at least make things interesting.

juise
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm surprised nobody's commenting on the BYU's record-breaking comeback against Iona. BYU was down 49-24 with ~6 minutes left in the first half and Iona went cold scoring only 17 points in the last 25 minutes of the game. Erasing a 25 point margin breaks what NCAAT record? Duke's 2001 comeback in FF against Maryland, of course!

I think it's worth checking out the highlights (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7684070&categoryid=2459792) just to hear Scott Van Pelt choke on having to discuss Duke's victory over the Terps. :)

Jderf
03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised nobody's commenting on the BYU's record-breaking comeback against Iona. BYU was down 49-24 with ~6 minutes left in the first half and Iona went cold scoring only 17 points in the last 25 minutes of the game. Erasing a 25 point margin breaks what NCAAT record? Duke's 2001 comeback in FF against Maryland, of course!

I think it's worth checking out the highlights (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7684070&categoryid=2459792) just to hear Scott Van Pelt choke on having to discuss Duke's victory over the Terps. :)

Our record is really only broken if you consider that game a part of the NCAA tournament, which I don't. The record stands! :D

(Only half serious)

Greg_Newton
03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm so mad I picked New Mexico to get all the way past Louisville. They look atrocious against LBSU.

Somehow they've found themselves up five with three minutes to go, but have zero faith in them.

Greg_Newton
03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Told you guys New Mexico would cruise. Ye of little faith...

superdave
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Anyone watching this here UVA-Florida game?

Virginia was playing them tough for the first 10 minutes, the Donovan had Florida pick up full court and it sped Virginia up. Mistakes followed, Florida now has a little bit of a lead.

I like that - when the other team controls the tempo, throw some press and traps at them and take them out of what they are doing. Duke should do A LOT of this based on our backcourt depth. Alas.

dukelifer
03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Anyone watching this here UVA-Florida game?

Virginia was playing them tough for the first 10 minutes, the Donovan had Florida pick up full court and it sped Virginia up. Mistakes followed, Florida now has a little bit of a lead.

I like that - when the other team controls the tempo, throw some press and traps at them and take them out of what they are doing. Duke should do A LOT of this based on our backcourt depth. Alas.

Virginia getting absolutely killed.

superdave
03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Virginia getting absolutely killed.

Florida has the #3 offense in the KenPom rankings, Virginia has the #5 defense. Something had to give....and it was Virginia.

pfrduke
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Only the third time all season that the Hoos gave up more than 70 points, and one of the other two games was in overtime (the other, oddly enough, was against Seattle U).

Greg_Newton
03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Still don't think UVA had any business being in the tournament, given who they've been since Sene went down. Oh well, they've got a great class coming in, hopefully they can regroup and come back strong next year.

ACC is really not looking good so far.

dukelifer
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Florida has the #3 offense in the KenPom rankings, Virginia has the #5 defense. Something had to give....and it was Virginia.

I did not see the game- but I have been impressed with Florida. They have talent for sure.

Greg_Newton
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Mizzou down to Norfolk St. with 2 minutes, and not looking like they're about to turn it up. Bracket buster here for me and many others...

ETA Down to 2 with a 1:26 left, Norfolk ball.

FerryFor50
03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, Mizzou was one of my Final Four teams... but I can't say I am upset seeing Frank Haith lose.

moonpie23
03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
down goes sparty...

1 24 90
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
down goes sparty...

Big East 2-0 against the Big Ten tonight. Let's make it 3 for 3! and Marquette could make it a Big East sweep tonight.

uh_no
03-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Big East 2-0 against the Big Ten tonight. Let's make it 3 for 3! and Marquette could make it a Big East sweep tonight.

*cincinatti could make it a big east seep agains the big 10....Marquette is playing florida

1 24 90
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
*cincinatti could make it a big east seep agains the big 10....Marquette is playing florida

I just meant that Big East teams could be 4-0 tonight. I'm aware that Marquette is playing Florida but wasn't overly clear.

uh_no
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I just meant that Big East teams could be 4-0 tonight. I'm aware that Marquette is playing Florida but wasn't overly clear.

gotcha, wasn't sure!

Either way, don't think cincy is gonna pull this one out...but either way, the big east has certainly performed more admirably than last year....the only bad loss was the GT to NCSU...which might not even qualify as all that bad seeing as NCSU is in the sweet16

Bluedog
03-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Flagrant elbow to the face of Marquette player late not called and would have been a game changer. If it was Dre I'm sure Teddy would have ejected him. I could see somebody perhaps calling it inadvertent, but that's not supposed to matter. I just really don't like the inconsistency in the call. If by rule any elbow to the head is a flagrant, then call it. It's not like he barely grazed him either. He knocked him to the ground.

uh_no
03-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Flagrant elbow to the face of Marquette player late not called and would have been a game changer. If it was Dre I'm sure Teddy would have ejected him. I could see somebody perhaps calling it inadvertent, but that's not supposed to matter. I just really don't like the inconsistency in the call. If by rule any elbow to the head is a flagrant, then call it. It's not like he barely grazed him either. He knocked him to the ground.

Its hard to tell, the elbow was not above its owners shoulder, and it was not really swung faster than his hips, as he was turning his whole body to maintain balance/stay in bounds.

What the call is MEANT to prevent is the swinging of the elbows while holding the ball to create space, and i'm not sure it applied necessarily in this case....i'll have to look up how its written in the rulebook, but much to late for that tonight

weezie
03-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Reggie Miller is fantasizing about pounding Elmore-bore over the head with a big fat carp?
What did Reggie do to deserve this hellish punishment?

weezie
03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Hahah, Pitino going toe to toe with Karl.

A nightmare for both of them, I'm sure.

sagegrouse
03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
... versus Lullville. Another Final Four for Billy Donovan as a #7 seed, would add to a stellar NCAA-T record the last seven years.

sage

sagegrouse
03-24-2012, 06:24 PM
... versus Lullville. Another Final Four for Billy Donovan as a #7 seed, would add to a stellar NCAA-T record the last seven years.

sage

Well, I managed to jinx the Gators with my post. Now just two points. BTW, I am available for other witch-doctor duty. -- sage

1 24 90
03-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, I managed to jinx the Gators with my post. Now just two points. BTW, I am available for other witch-doctor duty. -- sage

Can you pick OSU to win easily in the next game?

wow, 2 straight years that Florida has blown an elite 8 game!

dukelifer
03-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Well you know what you need to do now. Louisville vs KY (most likely)- in New Orleans- I would expect a bunch of fights in the streets and maybe on the court. Wow.

uh_no
03-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Can you pick OSU to win easily in the next game?

wow, 2 straight years that Florida has blown an elite 8 game!

Having picked UL in the final four, I just about had a heart attack....

1 24 90
03-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Well you know what you need to do now. Louisville vs KY (most likely)- in New Orleans- I would expect a bunch of fights in the streets and maybe on the court. Wow.

Glad that we won't have to watch Florida vs UK for the 4th time this year even if the last game was close. I'd rather watch Louisville UK round 2.

uh_no
03-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Glad that we won't have to watch Florida vs UK for the 4th time this year even if the last game was close. I'd rather watch Louisville UK round 2.

I'd rather Baylor and Louisville....so i won't have to see calipari have the shame of vacating another final 4

uh_no
03-24-2012, 07:03 PM
apparently hess was hessing all game....Pitino was yelling at Siva for committing a foul and Hess gave him a t.....

guess Hess is so used to people yelling at him that he got a bit confused

tbyers11
03-24-2012, 08:44 PM

sage

Agreed that winning it all in 2006 and 2007 is hard to top. Elite 8's the last 2 years is quite good as well. It is the 2008-10 that is a little sketchy as to their tourney record with 2 DNPs and one round of 64 loss. Imagine if Duke had missed the dance the last 2 years after the 2010 championship. This board would be trying to run Coach K out of town on a rail :)

1 24 90
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd rather Baylor and Louisville....so i won't have to see calipari have the shame of vacating another final 4

Much like last year, I have to root for UK to stay around so they can knock out OSU and/or UNC.

Since I live in Columbus and root for Duke, I don't want either to win the title.

I have to go throw up now since I am rooting for a Calipari team (I actually like some of their players this year though).

uh_no
03-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Much like last year, I have to root for UK to stay around so they can knock out OSU and/or UNC.

Since I live in Columbus and root for Duke, I don't want either to win the title.

I have to go throw up now since I am rooting for a Calipari team (I actually like some of their players this year though).

Well, I'm hoping kansas can take care of both of them....and i despite picking them too, I don't htink louisville can win againstUK

weezie
03-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I have to go throw up now since I am rooting for a Calipari team

Yah, ok, just don't upchuck on your shoes cuz that would be narsty.

It's incredible what we will do when our best team goes down, isn't it?