PDA

View Full Version : Midwest/St. Louis region discussion (uncch #1)

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Discuss the Midwest region here. The baby blueys are the 1 seed.

-jk
03-11-2012, 06:37 PM
So we're pointed at uk and Roy at ku.

And the NCAA never rigs things. Right.

-jk

pfrduke
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
So glad NC State got in. Great for the Pack.

Acymetric
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
State in! I was thinking at this point that they were going to be left out, but glad they made it.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
No play-in game for the Pack!

Was Berkeley the only at-large Pac 12 team, and they got stuck with a play-in? Wow.

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:41 PM
we get ND and kansas gets St Mary's? jeeez....

SCMatt33
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
UNC gets unlucky with Kansas having a pretty easy path and home court advantage, and Michigan could shoot the lights out on them, but overall their path to the Elite 8 looks pretty easy.

pfrduke
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM

This may come back to bite me, but I really don't think much of Notre Dame. And they're a great matchup for us style- and athletic-wise.

uh_no
03-11-2012, 06:46 PM
This may come back to bite me, but I really don't think much of Notre Dame. And they're a great matchup for us style- and athletic-wise.

THey have a win over louisville earlier in the year, which is certainly a good win. Also have that win over SU....with no RK, i'm not so sure

Greg_Newton
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
So we're pointed at uk and Roy at ku.

And the NCAA never rigs things. Right.

-jk

Not to mention old Ames High teammates Barnes and McDermott going up against each other, and K vs. Brey...

pfrduke
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
THey have a win over louisville earlier in the year, which is certainly a good win. Also have that win over SU....with no RK, i'm not so sure

Not saying they don't have good wins - they certainly do. But they also got killed by Missouri, lost to St. John's, Maryland, and Rutgers, and looked pretty ugly in the tournament loss to Louisville. They don't have a ton of size, they're not going to go running up and down the court against us. They could go off from 3, which is a risk, but all things considered, they seem to be a favorable matchup for us.

Chris Randolph
03-11-2012, 06:51 PM
The committee must love Bill Self. Pretty easy road for the Hawks til they face UNC

davekay1971
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Not only did State get in, they have a winnable game. Georgetown is a tough 3 for them, but State has a chance against them.

Kansas looks good in this region. I'd have more to say, but my 3 year old is not for that right now.

mapei
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
As a Georgetown grad/fan, I don't like Belmont and then maybe NC State. Tough.

CDu
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM

I think St. Mary's might be better than Notre Dame. And I'm certainly okay with a matchup against Notre Dame. Their style matches very nicely with what we want to do.

CDu
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM

They also have losses to UGa, Rutgers, Maryland (at home), and St. John's, and got blown out by Cincy, Louisville, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Mizzou, and UConn (at home). And while beating Louisville is nice, this is the same Louisville that went out the next game and lost to Providence by 31. Flukey games happen.

I think we match up very nicely against Notre Dame. Can we lose to them? Sure. But if I had to pick a 7 seed whose style is great for us, it's Notre Dame.

FerryFor50
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
They also have losses to UGa, Rutgers, Maryland (at home), and St. John's, and got blown out by Cincy, Louisville, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Mizzou, and UConn (at home). And while beating Louisville is nice, this is the same Louisville that went out the next game and lost to Providence by 31. Flukey games happen.

I think we match up very nicely against Notre Dame. Can we lose to them? Sure. But if I had to pick a 7 seed whose style is great for us, it's Notre Dame.

With our luck, ND will lose to Xavier, who I think is much better than a 10 seed.

moonpie23
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
it would be fitting for state to have a rematch with the tarholes........

Jderf
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM

With non-ACC refs, too.

CDu
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
With our luck, ND will lose to Xavier, who I think is much better than a 10 seed.

I think they have the potential to be much better than a #10 seed. But they also finished the season 13-11, with not a single really meaningful win after mid-December.

FerryFor50
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I think they have the potential to be much better than a #10 seed. But they also finished the season 13-11, with not a single really meaningful win after mid-December.

You know as well as I do that the best way for team to realize their potential is to get a matchup with Duke. :)

sporthenry
03-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Yeah, they are not playing very well in a relatively down A-10 (even with 4 teams in). Their signature wins in 2012 were against Dayton which isn't really a signature win. Doug Gottlieb even questioned them being in the tournament. They don't have much size apart from Frease who I think we can handle and our athleticism will help us rebounding some long shots. I think Rivers will be able to get to the rim vs Xavier and either finish or open up for the Plumlees. Defensively, I know Holloway gets all the press but I'm more concerned about Lyons. It will take a tough defensive assignment for someone not named TT to contain him.

Greg_Newton
03-11-2012, 10:57 PM
State's reaction to hearing their name called for the final NCAA tournament slot: http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031112aae.html

Kinda neat.

jv001
03-11-2012, 11:01 PM

I'd rather see unc play FSU for a 3rd defeat. GoDuke!

1 24 90
03-11-2012, 11:01 PM
State's reaction to hearing their name called for the final NCAA tournament slot: http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031112aae.html

Kinda neat.

That's what it's all about. Thanks for posting. What a great moment for them.

Chicken Little
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
After looking at team stats, rosters, and matchups for the last few hours, it appears to me(on paper anyway) that Creighton could give UNC some problems. Is anyone more familiar with the Bluejays who can talk me off the ledge of picking the upset here in my bracket? I'm wondering if UNC could look past them, get caught off guard by a hot-shooting team, and lack the necessary in-game coaching to pull them out of it. Anyone seen them play much and see exploitable weaknesses?

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Kinda neat.

Yeah. Great to see, especially after Saturday.

I am pretty sure they were the last team revealed on the broadcast as well. I assume the teams are watching the same thing we are? That had to be suspenseful....

CDu
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
After looking at team stats, rosters, and matchups for the last few hours, it appears to me(on paper anyway) that Creighton could give UNC some problems. Is anyone more familiar with the Bluejays who can talk me off the ledge of picking the upset here in my bracket? I'm wondering if UNC could look past them, get caught off guard by a hot-shooting team, and lack the necessary in-game coaching to pull them out of it. Anyone seen them play much and see exploitable weaknesses?

Creighton's best player (McDermott) is Harrison Barnes' high school teammate. He's on the short list for national PoY awards (he won't win, but he's on the list). That alone should keep UNC from looking past them. After that, they have a former Duke recruit (Echenique (sp?)) who plays in the post and a very quick PG (Young). After that, it's your typical midwestern mid-major: a slew of shooters (7 guys shoot 36% or better from 3pt range, 5 of them top 40%) but not much size. They'll spread the floor and McDermott will cause headaches for whomever guards him at PF (Henson or Zeller). But they are really limited in terms of post depth. If either McDermott or Echenique gets in foul trouble, they're toast unless they have an otherworldly shooting night as a team. Defensively, they're terrible, and that's not a good situation to be in when playing UNC.

They certainly have the recipe for being an upset pick: they shoot the three as well as just about anyone in the country and they have a superstar. I wouldn't pick that upset, but it wouldn't be completely shocking if they gave UNC a tough test. I just don't think they have the depth inside or the defensive chops to handle UNC. I think UNC's size and scoring prowess will be too much. But in the college game, if you can shoot the 3 well, you have a chance against anyone. And Creighton is even better than us at shooting the 3.

PackMan97
03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
I think the committee did NC State a HUGE favor by putting us in the same bracket as Carolina. While it makes it harder to advance to the Final Four (especially if Henson is playing), I think it makes it far more likely for State to play focused and intense basketball and give it their best effort to secure a rematch with the Holes. Not that they wouldn't, but regardless of what Swofford or recent history says, Carolina is our rival and that's always worth a little bit extra.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah. Great to see, especially after Saturday.

I love (and am a little surprised) that ESPN keep showing Kendall's obvious charge at the end of the game each time they talk about kerlina.

PackMan97
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I love (and am a little surprised) that ESPN keep showing Kendall's obvious charge at the end of the game each time they talk about kerlina.

Don't forget that Gottfried worked with ESPN for two years. This time last year he was in the booth talking about the selections. It helps to have friends in the media. Just like the refs look after their own, so does the media.

Not to mention it's been 15 years since Raleigh stole away their Hartford Whalers, maybe that wound has finally healed?

ClosetHurleyFan
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

It wasnt an obvious charge, certainly not at full speed. Once again, State pissed and moaned about fouls, Carolina did what they had to to win that game. Rest is history.

CDu
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
It wasnt an obvious charge, certainly not at full speed. Once again, State pissed and moaned about fouls, Carolina did what they had to to win that game. Rest is history.

It was as much a charge as the ones called on Howell and Leslie for their 4th fouls, and moreso than the one called on Brown when Hairston flopped at the top of the key. If you're going to call those charges, you have to call the same on Marshall. I'm fine with the no call on Marshall if you give a no call on the other three.

State certainly did themselves no favors in the final minute, and UNC certainly made some winning plays down the stretch. But you have to at least acknowledge the inconsistency there, and the inconsistency favored UNC fairly heavily.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2012, 10:28 AM

I appreciate that you're over here defending your team and that it's hard not to be biased, but if you can introduce even an inkling of objectivity into your assessment, you have to see that it was a terrible no-call given what had transpired (as CDu points out).

And now I'll ask a really interesting question... had the heels lost like they should have in that game, would they still be a #1 seed? Moot point, I know, but...

CDu
03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I appreciate that you're over here defending your team and that it's hard not to be biased, but if you can introduce even an inkling of objectivity into your assessment, you have to see that it was a terrible no-call given what had transpired (as CDu points out).

And now I'll ask a really interesting question... had the heels lost like they should have in that game, would they still be a #1 seed? Moot point, I know, but...

I think they probably were locked as a #1 seed the moment Henson hurt his wrist. The committee wasn't going to punish UNC for a loss without its best defensive player, best rebounder, and third best scorer.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I think they probably were locked as a #1 seed the moment Henson hurt his wrist. The committee wasn't going to punish UNC for a loss without its best defensive player, best rebounder, and third best scorer.

fair point

shoutingncu
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I think the committee did NC State a HUGE favor by putting us in the same bracket as Carolina. While it makes it harder to advance to the Final Four (especially if Henson is playing), I think it makes it far more likely for State to play focused and intense basketball and give it their best effort to secure a rematch with the Holes. Not that they wouldn't, but regardless of what Swofford or recent history says, Carolina is our rival and that's always worth a little bit extra.

I wouldn't mind a repeat of 2005, where N.C. State knocked off two seed Connecticut, clearing the path for UNC. Of course, for State to beat Kansas this year (should Carolina also make it that far), the Tobacco Road rematch would be for the Final Four...

oldnavy
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
It was as much a charge as the ones called on Howell and Leslie for their 4th fouls, and moreso than the one called on Brown when Hairston flopped at the top of the key. If you're going to call those charges, you have to call the same on Marshall. I'm fine with the no call on Marshall if you give a no call on the other three.

State certainly did themselves no favors in the final minute, and UNC certainly made some winning plays down the stretch. But you have to at least acknowledge the inconsistency there, and the inconsistency favored UNC fairly heavily.

BINGO!! I don't think this call alone costs the Pack the game, they did enough dumb things on their own, but at least call it consistant throughout the whole game. Never understood why the time left on the clock has anything to do with what is called, but it sure does seem to make the refs swallow the whistle.

pfrduke
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Continuing the ignominy of the debut Pac-12 season, USF is taking a 23-point lead into halftime, holding Cal to 13 points. Gack.

uh_no
03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Continuing the ignominy of the debut Pac-12 season, USF is taking a 23-point lead into halftime, holding Cal to 13 points. Gack.

but washington DESERVED to be in, right????

At least Iona gave us a good game for 15 mintes night....unfortunately they're the reason we lost our record for biggest comeback

Duvall
03-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Harrison Barnes opens up about his favorite topic. (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/04/moneyballer/8911/)

uh_no
03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Harrison Barnes opens up about his favorite topic. (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/04/moneyballer/8911/)

Through his quotes, he points out the very things that put him and jordan on such different planes.

For jordan, the goal was to be the best basketball player...yes he was arrogant...but the goal was to be the best at basketball, and success and fame followed, which he of course embraced

For barnes, the goal is to be rich, famous, and popular....he's every bit as arrogant, but basketball is only a means to his end....and while he has that attitude, which it seems he does and has had at unc, he won't ever be the great that jordan was (regardless of how similar he thinks he is to jordan in his head)

I think the perfect anecdote is in the middle of last season, barnes was having a conversation with some mentor...forget who...might have even been jordan, and he asks him "do you think i can still win national player of the year"

wow....your team is playing mediocre basketball, you're playing terrible basketball, and your concern is whether you can win the award for being the best player....can you be more vain?

Now, I wasn't around when jordan was at UNC, but my guess is that he would be taking his lack of success and having it push him to work harder to be a better player himself, and for his team. Without that drive, he wouldn't have been arguably the greatest ever...I don't think he would be sitting around pondering whether he will be the NPOY....

And the verdict is that barnes isn't even that good (relative to what he thinks he is)....he doesn't play an ounce of defense, barely scraped 1st team all ACC (forget all american and NPOY....) and is just a pretty good player who thrives off matchup issues....and he certainly doesn't have the game to back up his ego.....

Will he succeed in the NBA? probably....don't need defense where he's going....but he will likely never have a "brand" becuase he'll be another role player in the NBA....and despite the fact that he flatters himself as such, he'll never be the next jordan

we dodged a bullet with this one.

Jderf
03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
...unfortunately they're the reason we lost our record for biggest comeback

Well, that all depends. Do you consider the play-in game as a part of the NCAA tournament? Either way, at least we still have the biggest Final Four comeback ever, which still sounds pretty good :D

superdave
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
State wins by 14. They looked good. Their defense got key stops down the stretch when SDSU was trying to make a run.

More importantly, State's just been playing all-around good ball for the last few weeks.

pfrduke
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Great win for the Wolfies. 1-0 for the ACC already, and an upset (by seed, at least) to boot.

davekay1971
03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Very happy for State! That was a huge win for them. It's one thing to get in the tournament, it's another to get a statement win by scoring a first round upset. Everything from here on out is icing on the cake of Gottfried's first season. And what a season it's turning out to be. Winning record in the ACC. NCAA tournament bid. NCAA tournament win. Monster recruiting class coming in next season, even if he doesn't beat us out for Jefferson. The only thing he missed out on was wins against his biggest rivals, and it took a miracle comeback for us to avoid losing to State and a brutal zebra hose-job for Carolina to avoid it.

I really, really hope he leaves some of his past trouble behind him. I'm happy to see State on the upswing. I would hate to see it ruined in a few years by some form of scandal.

Good luck to State making the sweet 16. I don't see them beating Kansas in St. Louis, as long as the Jayhawks get there. But a Sweet 16 for State in Gottfried's first year would put a stamp on this as being a very, very successful year for him and the program.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 01:58 PM
State up on georgetown with 10 minutes left

Kedsy
03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
State 66 Georgetown 63. Way to go, Wolfpack!

uh_no
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
State 66 Georgetown 63. Way to go, Wolfpack!

I feel less worried about picking state to be in the sweet 16 now :)

cptnflash
03-18-2012, 02:44 PM
And down goes Georgetown. Kansas is the only team left in this bracket that can beat the Heels.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 02:47 PM
And down goes Georgetown. Kansas is the only team left in this bracket that can beat the Heels.

um...i'm pretty sure State can beat the heels....it took some crafty officiating to get UNC the win last time....

MCFinARL
03-18-2012, 02:52 PM
That was great (and I even kind of like Georgetown)! Now one other outcome could make this as close to a perfect day as it can be without Duke. Go Blue Jays!

davekay1971
03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Another huge win for State! That was very solid, coming from behind in the first half, withstanding a Hoya run, and making (most of) the plays they needed to win the game. A couple more made free throws could have made it a lot less dramatic, but State got the stops they needed and closed out the win.

Terrific tournament already for the Pack!

Now...Go Creighton!

Indoor66
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
GO Wolfies. Now my favorite team in the Tourney.

Greg_Newton
03-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I'll be rooting strongly against the Pack next game. For one thing, I think KU's got a better chance against UNC, and for another, we're currently neck-in-neck for a top-20 recruit.

IMO, they've passed the "aw, good for them" stage and are now at the "okay, you're starting to become threatening" level. They may well win the ACC next year if Leslie returns.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I'll be rooting strongly against the Pack next game. For one thing, I think KU's got a better chance against UNC, and for another, we're currently neck-in-neck for a top-20 recruit.

IMO, they've passed the "aw, good for them" stage and are now at the "okay, you're starting to become threatening" level. They may well win the ACC next year if Leslie returns.

I mean, NCSU was a bad call away from beating UNC a week ago... I do think KU has a better shot, but its not like NCSU has no shot at them.....for the record, i don't think state will beat kansas

DevilWearsPrada
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Go Wolfpack! I have them in my Sweet 16 brackets. I have been calling NCState, The Cardiac Pack 2.0. Congratulations to Coach Goffriend and the Pack Pride team for surviving and advancing over Georgetown to the Sweet 16.

Go Creighton! GTHC! On CBS, they announced John Henson is playing today in Greensboro. Go Creighton! GTHC!

Greg_Newton
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I mean, NCSU was a bad call away from beating UNC a week ago... I do think KU has a better shot, but its not like NCSU has no shot at them.....for the record, i don't think state will beat kansas

...without John Henson. Big difference. And that was with UNC shooting 5-20 from 3 and Zeller fouling out, and NCSU playing for their championship.

I doubt they stay within double digits in a rematch, especially with UNC at full strength and playing for a final four. I'll take 7' Withey, Robinson, Taylor and the rest of KU in St. Louis over NCSU any day.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Just in:

Henson back for today's game.

PackMan97
03-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Anyone in the ACC should feel threatened by NC State. It's our fault for dropping that ball over the past 20 seasons.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Anyone in the ACC should feel threatened by NC State. It's our fault for dropping that ball over the past 20 seasons.

Well one things for sure, they're getting a ton of press time because of this run. If anything that should help recruiting immensely.....especially for the next couple years...he can point to duke's lehigh loss and harp on how much tougher NCSU is than duke....Now, it might not be true, but when you're trying to appeal to 17-18 year old kids, anything can carry water.

Gthoma2a
03-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I hate UNC. They look good against Creighton, though.

Creighton can't do anything or get a board.

Acymetric
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I hate UNC. They look good against Creighton, though.

Creighton can't do anything or get a board.

Did anyone else see Henson look like a total punk when he got his T earlier?

uh_no
03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Henson just got taken out of the game...possibly reinjured...he has a very distraught look on his face.

pfrduke
03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Henson just got taken out of the game...possibly reinjured...he has a very distraught look on his face.

In other words, he looks like he always does...

gumbomoop
03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Echenique just did what you have to do against Henson: take the ball up and into his chin and chest. Echenique just powered through Henson, which is the right play, among several not-so-great choices. Better chance to draw a foul than to avoid a block. Henson is long, not strong.

Marshall sees everything, which explains why several of his assists each game come from passes when the opponent guarding the pass-recipient isn't looking or thinking. Marshall is always thinking, always looking. Is it coincidence that his vision is matched by his hand-eye coordination and pass-spin-location-and-pace? Marshall pays attention, and knows that many basketball players sometimes - actually frequently - don't. It's quite an advantage, when playing basketball.

At beginning of season, I thought and said that James Michael McAdoo was the second-best frosh, after Anthony Davis. All season long, I assumed I was way off base, and perhaps I was. But Henson's injury has certainly allowed McAdoo floor time to, uh, blossom. He's the next great Heel, unless he pulls a Marvin Williams.

Don't think Heels will be challenged in Sweet 16. KU or NCSt might well be exciting in Elite 8. But Heels' A+ game is only one close to UK's A+ game. Maybe tOSU??

UK-UNC for NC not one favored around here, but hard to deny its great appeal to any fan able to be neutral.

Go Pack, etc.

weezie
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Dopey ol'roy just HAD to leave him in while the score runs up.

davekay1971
03-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Reports that Marshall broke his wrist. If that's true, the whole picture changes for UNC. He's by far their most valuable player. I hate that for him, if it's true, and sincerely hope for a swift and complete recovery.

1 24 90
03-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Reports that Marshall broke his wrist. If that's true, the whole picture changes for UNC. He's by far their most valuable player. I hate that for him, if it's true, and sincerely hope for a swift and complete recovery.

Just saw that report. Can anyone who watched the game give any details? I'm curious at what point this happened in the game. They just showed the play and it didn't look overly serious at the time.

davekay1971
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Delighted to see Robbie Hummel light it up on the big stage. After everything that kid's been through, I'm so happy to see him play so well.

dukelifer
03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Delighted to see Robbie Hummel light it up on the big stage. After everything that kid's been through, I'm so happy to see him play so well.

Great to see- the kid has endured a lot.

davekay1971
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Before anyone pronounces UNC dead, let's note at this point that UNC has a very good chance of being able to make the Final Four without having to play anyone higher than an 8 seed...

Note: This is not to discredit such a run if it were to happen. You play the teams that you play, and it won't be Carolina's fault that Georgetown lost or, if Purdue holds on, Kansas loses prior to playing Carolina. And making a final four, no matter who you play, with Stillman White as your starting PG, is no sure thing. However, things are currently breaking in a way that Carolina, who starts 3 NBA lottery picks even without Marshall, has a good chance to find themselves playing 2 weekends from now.

FerryFor50
03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Before anyone pronounces UNC dead, let's note at this point that UNC has a very good chance of being able to make the Final Four without having to play anyone higher than an 8 seed...

Yea. Seems like the chips are falling in place for them if Kansas loses.

Reminds me of the "easy" road people claimed Duke had to the 2010 title.

However, if UNC has to play Kansas or NCSU.... unlikely Final Four.

Newton_14
03-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Wow, what a dumb move on Taylor's part. RUN THE CLOCK OUT DUDE!!!!

Taking the dunk just gave Purdue hope...

uh_no
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Strongly disagree...the moment he slows down to change direction, the trailing guy fouls him....and then he has to take FTs.....he took the guaranteed two....fine decision

moonpie23
03-18-2012, 11:08 PM
hope now taken away

FerryFor50
03-18-2012, 11:08 PM

Yea, he's not the headiest of players....

They lucked out.

Purdue was also lucky the clock didn't start when Withey touched it....

Newton_14
03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Strongly disagree...the moment he slows down to change direction, the trailing guy fouls him....and then he has to take FTs.....he took the guaranteed two....fine decision

He did not need to slow down. He had enough space to turn the corner at the rim, and keep dribbling away from them. It was 2.1 when he dunked, no way they catch him to foul, and even if they do, the clock would have been under a second.

He had enough space to get out of dodge...

FerryFor50
03-18-2012, 11:10 PM

Yea but with FTs... they have to get the rebound and advance with less than 2.5 seconds left (assuming he misses the 2nd) or burn another timeout if he makes it. He changes direction you're looking at probably less than a second left.

On an inbounds, they can set up a play and get a good shot, like they did just now.

uh_no
03-18-2012, 11:13 PM
He did not need to slow down. He had enough space to turn the corner at the rim, and keep dribbling away from them. It was 2.1 when he dunked, no way they catch him to foul, and even if they do, the clock would have been under a second.

He had enough space to get out of dodge...

Still disagree...there was a guy on his right and on his left, regardless of which direction he turned, the guy would have gotten a hand on him, and the way refs call games late, if you even touch the guy, they'll probably call the foul. There would have been maybe 1 second left....given, he could have missed the second one intentionally....

I don't think its that absurd of a play in that situation.....if you're more all alone than he was, sure. He ensured that they could not lose in regulation, and the team ended up winning.....i mean from that play the % change in chance of victory is so miniscule, its probably not worth splitting hairs over.

Bluedog
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I remember when Va Tech had the monumental collapse vs. FSU this year they kept on passing up layups to run off a second or two more off the clock. The commentators noted their great time management, but they kept missing free throws and allowed FSU to win the game. I say, if you have a guaranteed two points, take the points. Unless you're a 90% free throw shooter, it's not worth the risk of missing free throws and giving up point to take off 1 extra second...

Greg_Newton
03-19-2012, 12:15 AM
I never understand why players don't just throw the ball up as high as they can when the clock gets under 3-4 seconds. If you're a college basketball player, you're strong enough to give it that kind of hang time.

uh_no
03-19-2012, 12:42 AM
I never understand why players don't just throw the ball up as high as they can when the clock gets under 3-4 seconds. If you're a college basketball player, you're strong enough to give it that kind of hang time.

generally scoreboards overhead....especially with low ones like in cameron and other places with basket support, if you accidentally hit it, its out of bounds and the other team gets the ball

left_hook_lacey
03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Thought it was interesting. UNC is still an 11 point favorite regardless if Marshall plays or not.

The really suprising thing to me though, was State being only and 8 point dog to Kansas in what should be a Kansas laden crowd. Vegas, like many of us, thinks State has a real shot tonight if they don't tense up on the big stage. Should be a fun night of games for many reasons. Enjoy!

http://sports.bovada.lv/

devildeac
03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Go Ohio!

Go Pack!

gus
03-23-2012, 08:04 PM
How is Duke not in this tournament, but Ohio is? Ugh.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
How is Duke not in this tournament, but Ohio is? Ugh.

I am shocked. I had not seen Ohio play yet and had no idea they were this bad. How in the world this team won two games in this tourney is beyond me. Carolina is not playing well and is still coasting.

Bob Green
03-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Point guard production: White 3 assists, 0 turnovers; Watts 3 turnovers, 0 assists. Zeller already has a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds, while the Black Falcon is 1-7 from the floor with 3 turnovers (at least 2 of the 3 are for traveling).

The way Coach Williams makes playing time decisions Justin Watts will probably see more minutes than Stilman White at the point in the 2nd half.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I am shocked. I had not seen Ohio play yet and had no idea they were this bad. How in the world this team won two games in this tourney is beyond me. Carolina is not playing well and is still coasting.

Because, as I said when the brackets came out, UNC got a cake region. That's why there are two double digit seeds in the sweet 16, including crappy Ohio. :)

J4Kop99
03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Roy has one of the worst demeanors I have ever seen for a coach of his stature... you cannot tell me that his inability to keep his emotions in check does not have a negative effect on his players.

It's almost pathetic to watch. The guy on Ohio gets and and-1 and Roy jumps into his seat looking like he is about to cry. "Why god, why me? Poor me."

UrinalCake
03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Black Falcon not looking like a lottery pick tonight. On to OT... let's go Ohio!

Gthoma2a
03-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Ohio got a bad break, like a lot of teams do late against UNC, on that drive to the basket. That was a foul. They had a 1 point lead at that point. If Ohio doesn't come to play here, then they aren't capable of playing. A lot of pressure, but if you don't do it now, you won't do it.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Ohio got a bad break, like a lot of teams do late against UNC, on that drive to the basket. That was a foul. They had a 1 point lead at that point. If Ohio doesn't come to play here, then they aren't capable of playing. A lot of pressure, but if you don't do it now, you won't do it.

I think regulation was all they had in em.

A valiant effort....

_Gary
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately this overtime game is going ever so predictably. I knew Ohio's only chance was to win it in regulation. Boo! :mad:

Gthoma2a
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I think regulation was all they had in em.

A valiant effort....

It upsets me to see these underdog teams get treated like this by the refs in games that they are playing their hearts out to win. You can't give UNC the star calls in a game like this. Every team that makes it this far should be considered a star by the refs.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
It upsets me to see these underdog teams get treated like this by the refs in games that they are playing their hearts out to win. You can't give UNC the star calls in a game like this. Every team that makes it this far should be considered a star by the refs.

Kind of like the UNCA game. It's a shame. There's a reason why 15 and 16 seeds rarely win.

J4Kop99
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Barnes is playing about as bad as one possibly can with his skills.

This is gonna be tough for Ohio though. They gave about all that they could at the end of regulation. No Marshall, co championship for UNC though. I think that's a fair statement.

Furniture
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
UNC = very, very lucky.........

jipops
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Having an NBA frontline sure can fix some gaps. That missed ft at the end hurt cause unc seemed to be trying to give this one away.

Hypothetical question, say Kendall busts his toe 8 games in and is out for the rest of regular season. Would Roy be able to get those 3 lottery picks into the tournament?

SoCalDukeFan
03-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Unbelievable. The Ohio coach now knows what its like to coach in the ACC against them.

My only problem is I now dislike UK and Cal more than UNC-CH and don't see anyone by UNC-CH beating KY.

Maybe an upset tonight.

Go Indiana

SoCal

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Having an NBA frontline sure can fix some gaps. That missed ft at the end hurt cause unc seemed to be trying to give this one away.

Hypothetical question, say Kendall busts his toe 8 games in and is out for the rest of regular season. Would Roy be able to get those 3 lottery picks into the tournament?

They'd make the tourny on talent alone. Look what Scott Drew has done at Baylor. He's awful but he just lets the talent run around and make him look good. But they definitely can't win it all without a coach ON the court because they obviously don't have one on the sideline.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Game was lost in regulation when Cooper made a terrible decision. Ohio was up 4 with 2 mins and change left, and turned UNC over. Cooper tries to go 1 on 2 against Henson and Zeller instead of pulling it out. UNC was rattled at that point. Shot gets blocked easily, then they foul Barnes. He hits the first free throw, misses the 2nd, but UNC gets the tap out to Barnes who makes his only 3. Tie game. That was a killer swing.

Ohio still had a great chance at the end, but the kid came up short on the free throw that would have given them the lead with 15 seconds to go. They got the stop they needed, but instead of sealing the win, it sent them into OT where Cooper shot them out of it.

Zeller and Henson performed as expected, but Bullock bailed them out. Barnes did nothing beyond the one big 3 ball, and then padding his stats at the end with free throws when the game was decided.

Of all the teams left in the tournament, Ohio was probably the only team UNC could have beaten tonight, but I have been watching this movie for 40 years so not surprising.

mndukie
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
WOW, Ohio's point guard (Cooper I believe) played about as miserable as possible. I didn't catch the whole game and he did have an and 1 but aside from that there were far too many poor shots and he didn't do much of anything else to positively impact the game. Their options must have been pretty limited.

Was he the one who actually tried a layup with Henson right on his hip?

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
WOW, Ohio's point guard (Cooper I believe) played about as miserable as possible. I didn't catch the whole game and he did have an and 1 but aside from that there were far too many poor shots and he didn't do much of anything else to positively impact the game. Their options must have been pretty limited.

He's their go to guy. He just had a bad night. So did Barnes, though.... which one have you heard more about? ;)

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Cooper killed them all night. (His team that is). Clark Kellog's kid, another guard whose name I can't recall, and the white guy playing forward played their tails off. It was almost enough.

dukelifer
03-23-2012, 10:14 PM
UNC = very, very lucky.........

True but they just need one good game on Sunday. They still are alive and I can still see them advancing if Marshall makes it back next week.

Philadukie
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Rule # 1 of a major upset: Gotta get it done in regulation.

That last missed Ohio free-throw aside, the sequence of the game was when Ohio was up four, got the steal and a fast break, but Cooper attempts an awkward reverse and gets blocked by Henson. Barnes then quickly gets fouled on the other end, he misses the second FT, but then knocks down a three off an offensive rebound. That was basically a six point swing in 20 seconds of play (assuming Cooper goes up strong and gets fouled rather than attempting the weak reverse).

Ah well.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 10:17 PM
True but they just need one good game on Sunday. They still are alive and I can still see them advancing if Marshall makes it back next week.

I don't think Marshall plays on Sunday. If they play Kansas, they are likely done. If they get another upset/break and get NC State, they will have a chance.

Gthoma2a
03-23-2012, 10:18 PM

If they don't have him, they won't beat Kansas or State. If he isn't back 100%, I don't see them beating either of those teams.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:18 PM

Marshall will not be back next week.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Survive and advance.

Ohio was a very good team. They made some big shot and played really tough.

Quick thoughts...

Barnes singlehandedly kept Ohio in the game...he basically looked horrible with the exception of a couple of jumpers.

White played very well and I think showed he's more than a blue team player. 6 assist, O To's and some good D. When he comes back more physically mature, he'll get plenty of time.

Too much power inside, (Zeller mainly). Big shots by Bullock,and Henson.

dukelifer
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't think Marshall plays on Sunday. If they play Kansas, they are likely done. If they get another upset/break and get NC State, they will have a chance.

Exactly. They will get a break-you watch. And KY is going to struggle tonight.

jipops
Has anyone ever gotten to the Final Four having played only double digit seeds?

FerryFor50
Survive and advance.

Quick thoughts...

Barnes singlehandedly kept Ohio in the game...he basically looked horrible with the exception ad a couple of jumpers.

White played very well and I think showed he's more than a blue team player. 6 assist, O To's and some good D. When he comes back more physically mature, he'll get plenty of time.

Barnes was canceled out by Cooper.

The difference was Zeller and they couldn't figure that out. They could have won by 20 if they had kept feeding him,

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2012, 10:22 PM
If they don't have him, they won't beat Kansas or State. If he isn't back 100%, I don't see them beating either of those teams.

They can beat Kansas or State without KM. But they can't do it without Barnes missing too.

mndukie
03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
He's their go to guy. He just had a bad night. So did Barnes, though.... which one have you heard more about? ;)

Yeah, I will fully admit to having no substantial knowledge about Ohio Bobcat basketball but it sure looked like #3 and #15 (Kellogg) were their go to guys...obviously tonight they were. It's just unfortunate that Cooper having a bad night is much more detrimental to a team that was behind the eight ball to begin with than Barnes, who is important to UNC but they still have plenty of talent to make up for his bad night.

I get what you're saying though...

Mr.Analogy
03-23-2012, 10:27 PM
They can beat Kansas or State without KM. But they can't do it without Barnes missing too.

Nah, Kansas would be too much for the holes right now, with or without the black pigeon. Kansas has too many weapons as we'll see come Sunday!

duke09hms
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM

I really hope this is not true. Kansas is our last hope for dooming UNC's season to failure.

All Duke fans should be rooting for Kansas. NC State is simply incapable of beating UNC, and the Heels have such a huge psychological advantage over them.

ChicagoHeel
03-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Exactly. With the exception of a couple of plays, Barnes was horrible at both ends. I would like to think he just got his worst game of the year out of his system and that he'll bounce back, but I'm not so sure. He hasn't looked sharp for a while. If we are to advance, we need everyone to play very well.

Solid game for Stillman; huge game for Bullock and Zeller. 20 points and 22 rebounds- that's impressive.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I will fully admit to having no substantial knowledge about Ohio Bobcat basketball but it sure looked like #3 and #15 (Kellogg) were their go to guys...obviously tonight they were. It's just unfortunate that Cooper having a bad night is much more detrimental to a team that was behind the eight ball to begin with than Barnes, who is important to UNC but they still have plenty of talent to make up for his bad night.

I get what you're saying though...

Cooper tried to do it all but just wasn't good enough to do it against UNC.

And he hurt his team by not facilitating more... but that last layup attempt on two 7 footers was the back breaker. 6 point swing there.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Exactly. With the exception of a couple of plays, Barnes was horrible at both ends. I would like to think he just got his worst game of the year out of his system and that he'll bounce back, but I'm not so sure. He hasn't looked sharp for a while. If we are to advance, we need everyone to play very well.

Solid game for Stillman; huge game for Bullock and Zeller. 20 points and 22 rebounds- that's impressive.

I guess you guys assume that UNC will have their way with Kansas' frontcourt, which is equally formidable. I guess you also think that Kansas' guards won't defend better than Ohio's guards, or that Releford won't be in Barnes' hip pocket all night.

You should be the country's biggest State fans tonight. Kansas is a matchup nightmare for you without Marshall.

Greg_Newton
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not going to lie... I might be more upset about Ohio blowing that than Duke blowing theirs. So. Close.

Dukehky
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
My only issue with the huge psychological edge that Carolina has on State is the fact that although Stillman played well offensively, he still appeared to be a major liability on the defensive end and that is only going to get exacerbated if he has to deal with 6'5 Zo Brown, who has no problem posting up. Even if you put him on Wood, I doubt White is capable of pulling a Wes Miller (great defensive jobs on JJ).

I want State to win because I like them, but I'm okay either way realizing that my main issue with the remainder of this tournament is preventing Ole Roy from getting #3

_Gary
03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Has anyone ever gotten to the Final Four having played only double digit seeds?

If any team has, my money would be on UNC. They are, after all, the luckiest team of all time - bar none!

Newton_14
Survive and advance.

Quick thoughts...

Barnes singlehandedly kept Ohio in the game...he basically looked horrible with the exception of a couple of jumpers.

C'mon Wheat, you are smarter than that with hoops. Ohio was nowhere near "a good team". Flip the channel over to the Kentucky/Indiana game and notice the huge difference between Indiana and Ohio. It is no comparison. Even Xavier is superior to Ohio. UNC played horrible tonight with over 20 turnovers, and survived because of Zeller, Henson, and Bullock's timely shooting, and because the opponent was inferior and their best player played worse than Barnes.

White played ok against an early November cupcake type team, but had they been playing somebody he would have been a much bigger liability. I was actually surprised at how bad Watts played. I know UNC is beat up and missing its entire backcourt, but they have still advanced to the Elite 8 having not played a ranked team yet. So far, the easy bracket has offset the injuries. If State pulls the upset, UNC will actually be able to advance to the Final Four having not played a ranked team. At this point, I would almost be willing to call Vegas and bet on that happening.

Greg_Newton
Really, really, really need Kansas to win this game. Big time.

Greg_Newton
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Good lord, Kansas came out sleepwalking and is down 9-1 already. I don't know if I can remember a more frustrating tournament in the last few years...

_Gary
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Yep. I know NCState has been playing well recently, but I just think they'll revert to form and roll over for the Heels if they play them on Sunday. Kansas will not do that, and they are a better matchup against UNC. But somehow I'm betting the Heels get another break and State wins tonight.

ChicagoHeel
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
If any team has, my money would be on UNC. They are, after all, the luckiest team of all time - bar none!

Luckiest. I do not think that word means what you think it means. We've lost three of our top seven players to injury this year, two of whom are in the one position where we are thinnest. A fourth is playing with a wrist injury.

Bob Green
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM

I'm sorry there is no way I'm pulling for Kansas to beat State. State needs to take care of business against Kansas and then take it to Carolina.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Indeed. I hate having to pull against State, but no way do I want to see them as UNC opponent on Sunday... I am rock chalk jayhawk tonight.

Duvall
03-23-2012, 10:47 PM
State needs to ... take it to Carolina.

Yes, but you see - that is never going to happen.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-23-2012, 10:48 PM
huge game for Bullock

He has really come on for you guys. At this point I find him to be a better all around player than the black pigeon.

I just love his game. Wish he wore the darker shade of blue.

ChicagoHeel
03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I guess you guys assume that UNC will have their way with Kansas' frontcourt, which is equally formidable. I guess you also think that Kansas' guards won't defend better than Ohio's guards, or that Releford won't be in Barnes' hip pocket all night.

You should be the country's biggest State fans tonight. Kansas is a matchup nightmare for you without Marshall.

I do not think we will have our way with any part of KU or State. What Wheat was saying, and I was agreeing with, is that we can potentially win even without Marshall, but will have no chance if Barnes goes 3-16 with 5 TOs again.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Good lord, Kansas came out sleepwalking and is down 9-1 already. I don't know if I can remember a more frustrating tournament in the last few years...

Yea... looking ahead to UNC I imagine.

NCSU is capable of beating KU if they can keep their composure. So far looks like KU is getting some of the calls and we all know how much that drives State fans/players crazy....

ncexnyc
03-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Indeed. I hate having to pull against State, but no way do I want to see them as UNC opponent on Sunday... I am rock chalk jayhawk tonight.
If we're so torn between a State vs Kansas game, what would this board look like if Kentucky played UNC?

moonpie23
03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
state out-hustling ku right now

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 10:55 PM
If we're so torn between a State vs Kansas game, what would this board look like if Kentucky played UNC?

Ha, meltdown I suppose..:) I would be pulling for UK. Heck, I am pulling for the highest seed in every game until the Heels go down.:D

jipops
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I guarantee if UNC has to face an 11 seed to get to the Final Four there will be NO articles focusing on a Final Four "cake walk" ala Duke 2010.

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I do not think we will have our way with any part of KU or State. What Wheat was saying, and I was agreeing with, is that we can potentially win even without Marshall, but will have no chance if Barnes goes 3-16 with 5 TOs again.

No I think Wheat is related to Stillman White because he has a huge man crush on him. :)

jipops
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM

I'd pull for UK only because I live in NC. If I lived elsewhere it would probably be UNC... but I would have to have lived elsewhere for quite some time.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
No I think Wheat is related to Stillman White because he has a huge man crush on him. :)

Maybe Wheat IS Stillman White! He posted after the game from his I-Phone in the lockerroom! :)

FerryFor50
03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Maybe Wheat IS Stillman White! He posted after the game from his I-Phone in the lockerroom! :)

"Hey guys, I think I - I mean, STILLMAN, is super cool. And his hair is rad."

gus
03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I'd pull for UK only because I live in NC. If I lived elsewhere it would probably be UNC... but I would have to have lived elsewhere for quite some time.

Is this a binary decision? I wouldn't pull for either.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Howell and Leslie both have 2 fouls with 6 minutes left to go in the first half....

I watch a high number of Pack games, I have yet to see a game this year in which Richard Howell is not in foul trouble.

Bob Green
03-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Halftime: State 33, Kansas 32. That was a hard fought first half with Kansas recording 7 blocked shots. State is 4-9 on 3-pointers, while Kansas is 0-8.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2012, 11:36 PM
?.....

And Henson...he stepped up too with some key shots.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2012, 11:42 PM

I'm much more handsome than Stilman will ever be :)

I'd love to see State win. Everyone plays to their best ability, I'm good with that, win or lose.

Newton_14
03-23-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm much more handsome than Stilman will ever be :)

I'd love to see State win. Everyone plays to their best ability, I'm good with that, win or lose.

DevilDeac disputes this fact! He offered photo evidence too. Stillman has the hair you and I dream of at night!:)

I know you would love to see 11 seeded NC State win. I don't blame you. I would want no part of Kansas either....

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Every time I watch Kansas play in this tournament, I can't get over their excellent ball movement and offensive sets. It's fantastic to watch...

Dukehky
03-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Seems to me that State just cannot get a call in the paint.

Thomas Robinson v. Jon Henson would be fun to watch. I'd like to see Henson have to guard an NBA PF, which Robinson is. Plus we get to see the battle of the goofy, white seven footers!!!

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Seems to me that State just cannot get a call in the paint.

Thomas Robinson v. Jon Henson would be fun to watch. I'd like to see Henson have to guard an NBA PF, which Robinson is. Plus we get to see the battle of the goofy, white seven footers!!!

I'm looking forward to Withy swatting Henson over and over...

Withy has more total blocks this season than Henson. :)

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
As for calls... both teams are beating the crap out of each other. Not a lot of calls going either way...

Dukehky
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Howell has kind of been an idiot. Every offensive board he gets, he goes as hard as he can to the rim and throws it at the backboard. You're not getting the calls, maybe take a page out of Zoubs book and throw it out to Scott Wood. Jeeze Louise.

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Howell has kind of been an idiot. Every offensive board he gets, he goes as hard as he can to the rim and throws it at the backboard. You're not getting the calls, maybe take a page out of Zoubs book and throw it out to Scott Wood. Jeeze Louise.

And looking at the ref every time after think you got fouled doesn't make the refs want to give you the call. He learned that move from CJ Leslie.

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Kansas picked a bad time to go cold....

and what's with all the fouling of 3 point shooters?

FerryFor50
03-24-2012, 12:40 AM
CJ Leslie.... Withey has blocked 10 shots. Do not think he won't block another....

sbroc012
03-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Taylor is gonna eat Stillman's lunch on Sunday, though I don't see Kansas running away against UNC at all, both teams are gonna be evenly matched at all positions except for pg, which will give the edge to KU

Greg_Newton
03-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Correction to my earlier post - the ESPN box score had the rebound discrepancy wrong, it wasn't 55-27 after all.

It was 63-30. :eek:

davekay1971
03-24-2012, 01:25 AM
I was cheering so hard for State to beat Kansas. Broke my heart that Kansas won that game...

Sigh...

Well, Kansas won, and I'm a JAYHAWK now!

Rock...chalk...Jayhawk!

PackMan97
03-24-2012, 02:24 AM
I was cheering so hard for State to beat Kansas. Broke my heart that Kansas won that game...

Still too much stupid in the team, can't correct it all in one season. CJL trying to take it to the rim 1v3 with 18s left to go down one was just a stupid basketball play. Reset the offense and play for the last shot to win it all. Calvin has been mostly great, but he still has a lot of basketball to learn.

Then they miss a foul shot and we can't get the board. Seriously?

Not to mention we turn the ball over AGAIN with what, 5s left to play or something instead having time to work a decent shot we step out of bounds.

Even with those two brain farts, if Howell had passed off to Wood quickly at the end, maybe a chance at a decent look.

It's like the Carolina game all over again, except without the refs helping in the team in blue.

Super excited about next year when this team is further removed from steetball and has more discipline and hopefully a higher basketball IQ. We've had our chances this year, just need to take advantage of them.

PackMan97
03-24-2012, 02:38 AM
BTW - State shot 28% for the game and had many chances to win it in the last minute. 28% for the game and was still in at the end against the #6 team in the country! Gone are the days that State needs to play lights out to win against someone good.

Some more fun stats:
NC State: 20
Kansas: 15

NC State: 43
Kansas: 42

Yup, against a MUCH larger team State won the battle of the offensive boards and the boards in general. I believe we also out rebounded Carolina the last two times we played them. Been a long time since State has been a team that works that hard on the glass.

roywhite
03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
What do you get when you mix one of our least favorite writers, Gregg Doyel, with one of our least favorite teams and player on that team?

Top-seeded North Carolina takes care of Ohio in unimpressive fashion
(http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/18004196/topseeded-north-carolina-takes-care-of-ohio-in-unimpressive-fashion)

Harrison Barnes was terrible, and worse than terrible he was selfish. He is said to be an NBA talent, and I'll tell you this: Harrison Barnes has a talent for taking NBA shots. Spinning, fading jumpers from 19 feet? He can shoot those. Make them? Well, no. He can't make them. Not Friday, anyway, when he was guarded by non-NBA defenders who were four or five inches smaller, and 25 to 35 pounds lighter. This was the kind of game Barnes should have had his way -- as Tyler Zeller had his way -- but Barnes couldn't get out of his own way.

Not for lack of effort, though. Barnes shot and shot and shot some more. He took 16 shots all told, most of them difficult, and made three. He was two of nine on 3-pointers, air-balling one of them. He had five turnovers, the worst one in the final seconds of regulation when he decided -- unless Roy Williams decided for him, which would be embarrassing for ol' Roy -- to go one-on-one with the season on the line. It didn't work, of course, and nearly backfired all the way

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I watched the game and it went about as I expected (except for the Pigeon's performance). I work with Heels' fans and they all thought they were going to lose, I consoled them (for whatever reason) by letting them know that the Heels would be playing volleyball on the boards.

Anyway.....there are some unbelievable numbers in that boxscore...

-UNC had 17 offensive rebounds, Ohio had 20 defensive rebounds! I expected volleyball, but not quite at that rate.
-UNC had 24, yes, 24 turnovers. I can't remember the last team I have seen a number that high in college ball by a quality team.
-The Black Pigeon was 3 for 16, with a 5:4 turnover to assist ratio. I know it was already mentioned in this thread, but I don't think there is any harm in bringing it up again.

With all that being said, I don't expect UNC to play that bad again. Henson and Zeller used their height, but the rest were terrible, except Bullock. He is rapidly becoming a fantastic all around player.

I am really excited to watch Zeller/Henson play against a front line that can handle them. There are going to be a lot of NBA scouts at this game. Henson/Zeller have used their genetics to dominate games all year, in this game they will have to display talent as well. It will be a very good gauge of how their games will translate to the next level. Without Marshall (and even with him to some extent), UNC's best offense is to chuck shots and then hit the offensive boards. Unless KU gets in foul trouble, that is not going to cut it. KU is a terrible matchup for UNC without Marshall.

As for the Stilman White discussion.....I think it is pretty obvious, his detailed instructions were: "Do not take risks. Make the safe pass, don't look for your shot and play good defense." Roy nearly burst a blood vessel when the kid shot a 3. I thought he executed that assignment very well, but in the second half, when the pressure was higher, the offense looked terrible and out of sync because their point guard was trying not to make a mistake, instead of trying to make plays. I was very impressed with White's d. He gave Cooper fits. You know who Stilman White really reminds me of? One of our very own, Tyler Thornton.

Sunday is gonna be great basketball with great matchups. Baylor:UK and KU:UNC are two incredible matchups. Really, really interested to see how they play out.

The Black Pigeon is going to have to fly the coop if UNC wants to win this game.

TexHawk
03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Unless KU gets in foul trouble, that is not going to cut it. KU is a terrible matchup for UNC without Marshall.

I think you all need to prepare for lots of shots of Robinson and Withey on the bench with 2 fouls in the 1st half. This "terrible matchup" will feature more Kevin Young and Justin Wesley than the one people are looking for. Robinson is just too big and strong, any power moves will look like charges against Henson. (Similar to the Mike Scott matchup earlier in the year.) It's beyond terrible, but that's today's game.

Here's hoping that Taylor, Johnson, Teahan, and Releford can pick up the slack. (Last night, KU only made TWO shots outside of 5 feet.)

dukelifer
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I think you all need to prepare for lots of shots of Robinson and Withey on the bench with 2 fouls in the 1st half. This "terrible matchup" will feature more Kevin Young and Justin Wesley than the one people are looking for. Robinson is just too big and strong, any power moves will look like charges against Henson. (Similar to the Mike Scott matchup earlier in the year.) It's beyond terrible, but that's today's game.

Here's hoping that Taylor, Johnson, Teahan, and Releford can pick up the slack. (Last night, KU only made TWO shots outside of 5 feet.)

KU will need to play much better if they are going to beat UNC. KU's O has been really bad the last few games. I still see UNC making it through. In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been shut out of the FF for two consecutive years only once, 2006 and 2007. I think this is also true for the past 30 years.

UNC has been a FF team 8 times in the last 20 years: in 1993,1995,1997,1998,2000,2005,2008,2009
Duke has been a FF team 6 times in the last 20 years: in 1992,1994,1999,2001,2004,2010
Maryland was a FF team 2 times in the last 20 years: in 2001, 2002
Ga Tech was a FF team 1 time in the last 20 years: in 1999

In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been in the FF every year except for five 1996,2003,2006,2007,2011 -

Newton_14
03-24-2012, 08:58 PM
KU will need to play much better if they are going to beat UNC. KU's O has been really bad the last few games. I still see UNC making it through. In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been shut out of the FF for two consecutive years only once, 2006 and 2007. I think this is also true for the past 30 years.

UNC has been a FF team 8 times in the last 20 years: in 1993,1995,1997,1998,2000,2005,2008,2009
Duke has been a FF team 6 times in the last 20 years: in 1992,1994,1999,2001,2004,2010

In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been in the FF every year except for five 1996,2003,2006,2007,2011 -

They said on the radio this week that since 1960, the ACC has not gone longer than two consecutive years without having at least one team in the Final Four. 42 years. Quite a feat. Let's hope Duke makes the FF next season to keep that streak alive! :)

uh_no
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Conversely, UNC is going to have to play much better if they are going to beat KU.....they were playing against ohio....OHIO for goodness sakes...and they needed overtime, and by all rights probably should have lost in regulation.

I'm not sure the previous history of the ACC in the tournament has any predictive value for tomorrow's game. That's like saying "the winner of the big east tournament has won their last 10 games in the tournament, so UL will probably beat UK next weekend." Teams are teams, nothing more, nothing less. Teams are NOT their conference, and even less the history of their conference.

If you're trying to say that the ACC hasn't been as good at the top since they might not have had a final four in 2 years, yeah that's probably true...but understandable as it won the title the two years before. Speaks volumes about the fact that the conference has consistenly had very good teams (or simply that they have two of the best programs in the country in one conference)

dukelifer
03-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Conversely, UNC is going to have to play much better if they are going to beat KU.....they were playing against ohio....OHIO for goodness sakes...and they needed overtime, and by all rights probably should have lost in regulation.

I'm not sure the previous history of the ACC in the tournament has any predictive value for tomorrow's game. That's like saying "the winner of the big east tournament has won their last 10 games in the tournament, so UL will probably beat UK next weekend." Teams are teams, nothing more, nothing less. Teams are NOT their conference, and even less the history of their conference.

If you're trying to say that the ACC hasn't been as good at the top since they might not have had a final four in 2 years, yeah that's probably true...but understandable as it won the title the two years before. Speaks volumes about the fact that the conference has consistenly had very good teams (or simply that they have two of the best programs in the country in one conference)

Just an observation. But it is highly unusual for one of two top ACC teams not to be there. UNC's talent is very high and with Marshall- I think they easily beat KU. I think this game will go their way-but it won't be easy.

Chris Randolph
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
KU fans that I know are already making excuses IF they lose. Obviously they are saying UNC is going to get all the calls. Withey and Robinson have been prone to foul trouble in a few games this year and have yet to see as big of a team as UNC. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do get in foul trouble. Keep in mind Withey is not a good offensive player so he doesn't get guys in foul trouble. Robinson can get guys in foul trouble but Henson has defended big guys throughout his career. Robinson has been trying to force things on offense of late so that could hurt him as well. Henson and Zeller could get in foul trouble but typically soft players avoid foul trouble :)

I expect a really good game. Cheering for KU that is for sure!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
On my expectations of todays UNC/ KS game....

No Marshall.

Stilman will become more offensive minded than the Ohio game. He's savvy and can get a mid range shot. Roy will give him more freedom to shoot in this one to open things up inside, because KS is gonna pack it in on D. I think the surprise story could be Stilman's offense. He proved he can play in a big time environment against Ohio. He' s a confident kid and should be more relaxed in this game. Unleash Stilman! :)

Bullock's play will be big as well from outside. UNC will absolutely have to make some jumpers and Bullock seems to be peaking right now, which is a good thing. Nobody's really talking about him, but he's quietly becoming the first round draft pick he was predicted to be out of HS.

Henson's mid range face up jumper is an evolving weapon that teams can't defend. He should look for that today because he can get that shot and it's been falling.

Barnes will need to shoot his jumper from deeper than he has been trying to get them off. Long range day from Barnes. He has NBA range, use it. Cut hard off the screens and give more effort to movement playing off the ball.

Can PJ "make it rain" bring in a thunderstorm, or be just fog?

Bottom line is UNC will have to shoot it from outside and generally play very well to win, as expected in the elite 8 against a strong KS team.

CDu
03-25-2012, 11:15 AM
On my expectations of todays UNC/ KS game....

No Marshall.

I agree. It's just too soon, and he'd be at too great a risk of injury and too limited to be effective anyway.

Stilman will become more offensive minded than the Ohio game. He's savvy and can get a mid range shot. Roy will give him more freedom to shoot in this one to open things up inside, because KS is gonna pack it in on D. I think the surprise story could be Stilman's offense. He proved he can play in a big time environment against Ohio. He' s a confident kid and should be more relaxed in this game. Unleash Stilman! :)

I don't think KU will pack it in on defense. They apply plenty of ball pressure and they are pretty confident in their interior defense with Withey and Robinson.

And I think you continue to overstate White's effectiveness against Ohio. He basically did everything he could to be a non-factor. No threatening passes. Minimal shots and only if wide open. No attacking plays at all. He basically managed to not make mistakes, which is much different from playing well. Don't let the 6-0 assist-turnover ratio fool you - there are such things as token assists, and White found them.

UNC was able to survive playing 4 on 5 offensively because Ohio couldn't stop the inside guys and couldn't shoot in the first half. They'll face a team that can match up with UNC inside this time, which means they'll have a lot more trouble winning 4-on-5 again.

Bottom line is UNC will have to shoot it from outside and generally play very well to win, as expected in the elite 8 against a strong KS team.

Yes. Your other 4 starters are going to have to be terrific (or hope that Kansas doesn't show up like they did against NC State) to get to the Final Four.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
...And I think you continue to overstate White's effectiveness against Ohio. He basically did everything he could to be a non-factor. No threatening passes. Minimal shots and only if wide open. No attacking plays at all. They'll face a team that can match up with UNC inside this time, which means they'll have a lot more trouble winning 4-on-5 again.

He did what he was asked to do,and played under control against some quick guards.
I agree this game they can't afford to go 4 on 5. They need Stilman to look for a shot more in this one.

I'm thinking he can get them and make them, we'll see.

Bob Green
03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Bullock's play will be big as well from outside. UNC will absolutely have to make some jumpers and Bullock seems to be peaking right now, which is a good thing. Nobody's really talking about him, but he's quietly becoming the first round draft pick he was predicted to be out of HS.

Every big game needs an X Factor and Bullock could be the guy in today's game. I agree with you he has been coming on strong of late and people are taking notice. He can really shoot the basketball and seems to have the ability to play physical. Bullock got a bit of a bad rap last year as people, both Carolina and Duke fans, were all over him for poor performance without acknowledging the kid was playing hurt. Today could be redemption day for Bullock.

Can PJ "make it rain" bring in a thunderstorm, or be just fog?

Hairston's shot has improved but he is lazy on D. If he wants to develop into a threat, he needs to show energy on both ends of the court. He gets routinely beat on D and forces Coach Williams to yank his butt off the court.

Finally, as much as it pains me to say it, and it pains me greatly, I don't expect Barnes to stink the joint up two games in a row. Of course, we can hope. I never get tired of seeing Barnes suck.

Bob Green
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I agree this game they can't afford to go 4 on 5. They need Stilman to look for a shot more in this one.

I think that decision is up to Coach Williams. He seemed visibly upset when Stilman shot the ball against Ohio.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 11:52 AM
I think that decision is up to Coach Williams. He seemed visibly upset when Stilman shot the ball against Ohio.

Different game...Roy wanted to pound the post every time in that game. And I think the only time he got on the kid was that long three, at a point in the game UNC was settling for jumpers too much.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
...Hairston's shot has improved but he is lazy on D. If he wants to develop into a threat, he needs to show energy on both ends of the court. He gets routinely beat on D and forces Coach Williams to yank his butt off the court.

I don't think he's as lazy as he is just not a good defender, yet. He's having a typical freshman season, and I don't think Roy is confident in his ball handling and decision making.

CDu
03-25-2012, 01:48 PM
He did what he was asked to do,and played under control against some quick guards.

I'm thinking he can get them and make them, we'll see.

I'd argue that "what he was asked to do" was asked only because the team knew he wasn't capable of much more. Note that in the second half, when Ohio decided to make it difficult to get the ball to Zeller, UNC's offense fizzled. The team just had no ability to create offense, so Barnes and Bullock were forced to take jumpers (which Bullock hit a bunch of big ones).

I really don't think we're going to see White do much offensively, mainly because Kansas has even quicker guards than Ohio. If UNC wins, it'll be because of one (or more) of the following:

1. Foul trouble by Withey and/or Robinson
2. Too many turnovers and/or bad shots by Kansas's guards
3. Great shooting from Bullock, Barnes, and/or Hairston

They'll need White to continue to at least be a non-factor, but that'll be tougher against Taylor and Johnson than it was against Cooper (who was just awful) and Kellogg.

But we'll see how it plays out at 5:05 today now that we know Marshall is out.

devildeac
03-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXfc0mQfxc

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks DD! Go Jayhawks! Beat down the evil empire so we all can sleep tonight!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I'd argue that "what he was asked to do" was asked only because the team knew he wasn't capable of much more. Note that in the second half, when Ohio decided to make it difficult to get the ball to Zeller, UNC's offense fizzled. The team just had no ability to create offense, so Barnes and Bullock were forced to take jumpers (which Bullock hit a bunch of big ones).

I really don't think we're going to see White do much offensively, mainly because Kansas has even quicker guards than Ohio. If UNC wins, it'll be because of one (or more) of the following:

1. Foul trouble by Withey and/or Robinson
2. Too many turnovers and/or bad shots by Kansas's guards
3. Great shooting from Bullock, Barnes, and/or Hairston

They'll need White to continue to at least be a non-factor, but that'll be tougher against Taylor and Johnson than it was against Cooper (who was just awful) and Kellogg.

But we'll see how it plays out at 5:05 today now that we know Marshall is out.

Stilman White has some game. He was a scorer in HS. This ain't HS, but last I checked the basket is the same size and height. He just has to play with confidence, and I think last game helped him get some.

UNC has to move sharp off the ball and minimize putting it on the floor because outside of Stilman, it's not a good ballhandling team off the dribble, which leads to TO's if they don't.

Too many TO's and they are toast.

The bench of Watts, MacAdoo, and PJ has to give them something. Lots of effort every play will be required to get open and UNC kids will get tired when cutting, screening, moving off the ball if the bench doesn't contribute.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2012, 02:17 PM

Pulling out all the stops now, aren't you doc? :)

WiJoe
03-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I do this every time I read this person's post. Guess whose?

http://www.sounddogs.com/sound-effects/104/mp3/568842_SOUNDDOGS__vo.mp3

And come on, mods, show you have a sense of humor.

devildeac
03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Pulling out all the stops now, aren't you doc? :)

Heck yea! (or should that be Huck, yea:rolleyes:?)

In fact, I have a voodoo doll for each of these guys I am working on right now:

CDu
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I tell you what: if UNC somehow wins the title this year, they'll have earned it. They're going to likely have to go through 3 top-10 teams to win it. Kansas, then OSU, then likely UK. That'll be a tough road, with or without Marshall.

I think they likely go down today without Marshall, but if they can shoot it they can win today. We'll see. Go Jayhawks!

uh_no
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I tell you what: if UNC somehow wins the title this year, they'll have earned it. They're going to likely have to go through 3 top-10 teams to win it. Kansas, then OSU, then likely UK. That'll be a tough road, with or without Marshall.

I think they likely go down today without Marshall, but if they can shoot it they can win today. We'll see. Go Jayhawks!

Rock Chalk!

(ugh...i feel dirty now)

Dukehky
03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
How in the name of heaven did we beat these two teams?

I have no idea how Carolina is doing this. I don't think its Roy's doing as much as Zeller is super good, but jeeze louise.

dukelifer
03-25-2012, 05:56 PM
How in the name of heaven did we beat these two teams?

I have no idea how Carolina is doing this. I don't think its Roy's doing as much as Zeller is super good, but jeeze louise.

UNC is really good and any unselfish player can play point with the other 4 players. If anything- this is really showing that Marshall may not quite be as good as many have thought- he just has a great group to pass to.

gumbomoop
03-25-2012, 06:00 PM
If Barnes had improved his handle like he tried last summer, he'd be a superb player. As it is, he's good, if weirdly inconsistent. He looks brilliant one play, pathetic the next. Or maybe brilliant for several minutes, then disappears.

UK, Baylor, UNC, and KU are exciting to watch. OSU no slouch, either, and UL has some moments of excellence.

You'd think KU would know that UNC hedges on that pass across court up top, but they allowed McAdoo 2 easy ones. Ditto on back door plays. KU blew 2 thunder-dumbs. Might cost them.

Great game, guys are on. Nice to see, as a sometimes-objective fan.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
UNC is shooting 62% from the field against a formidable Kansas defense. Heck, even Barnes is hitting shots. Can they honestly keep up that pace? How much will Henson's ankle affect him in the 2nd half? Can Withey stay out of foul trouble? Can the two headed PG monster of Watts/White keep playing over their heads?

Hopefully UNC stops hitting everything they throw at the basket...

uh_no
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
UNC is shooting 62% from the field against a formidable Kansas defense. Heck, even Barnes is hitting shots. Can they honestly keep up that pace? How much will Henson's ankle affect him in the 2nd half? Can Withey stay out of foul trouble? Can the two headed PG monster of Watts/White keep playing over their heads?

Hopefully UNC stops hitting everything they throw at the basket...

well, neither team is playing much defense so far.....the team that plays at least a smidgen in the second half will probably win

Dukehky
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Reggie Bullock can play. I honestly had no idea. Once he got it in his head that he was going to be the defensive stopper for this team with Strickland out, I think his confidence really picked up. Defense leading to confidence on the offensive end.. not a bad concept! He improves his handle a little bit, I think he's gonna end up being a better all around player than Harry because he rebounds well, especially for a "guard." 6'7 guard, that'd be nice too.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
well, neither team is playing much defense so far.....the team that plays at least a smidgen in the second half will probably win

I was hoping the refs would allow the same slugfest they allowed against NCSU but they're calling it a little tighter. Must be the powder blue...

Dukehky
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
That powerade commercial where they make fun of the G-Series was absolutely phenomenal. Just for that, I'm switching over.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Steve Kerr either hates Kansas or is a closet UNC fan...

gumbomoop
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Third missed thunder-dumb by KU.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Third missed thunder-dumb by KU.

Worth it for the foul on Zeller

gumbomoop
03-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Worth it for the foul on Zeller

They changed the foul to Barnes. And I think maybe he'd still have been fouled if he'd just put it in with a normal dunk. Not sure.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:28 PM
They changed the foul to Barnes. And I think maybe he'd still have been fouled if he'd just put it in with a normal dunk. Not sure.

No that was on the Withey layup. The Robinson thunder dunk miss was Zeller trying to take a charge.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Great. Now KU is playing stupid.

uh_no
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Great. Now KU is playing stupid.

well, they haven't been jacking up full court shots with 10 seconds left on the shotclock yet....

gumbomoop
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I was hoping the refs would allow the same slugfest they allowed against NCSU but they're calling it a little tighter. Must be the powder blue...

That non-foul foul called on Withey in the first 3 minutes is going to haunt KU. That non-foul - way in backcourt, minimal contact, no effect whatsoever on the play - was just a silly call. Withey not really guilty on that one, but he got it anyway; now has 3 with lots of time left.

1 24 90
03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Zeller scored for Kansas earlier. He just can't stop himself can he?

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
KU looks on the verge of putting away UNC and then they let them right back in it. Have these kids never played Mortal Kombat? FINISH HIM!!!

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Horrible call. easy charge on Barnes dang it!

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Horrible call. easy charge on Barnes dang it!

Not according to Steve "closet Tarheel" Kerr.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
And another charge by Barnes that gets called a block. I am not pleased.

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
And another charge by Barnes that gets called a block. I am not pleased.

2 in a row. I guess this officiating crew does not believe in charges. Nice.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
No they do. Zeller has drawn one. Of corse.

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
No they do. Zeller has drawn one. Of corse.

Section 9F Rule 1: Only players in baby blue are allowed to draw charges.

Devilsfan
Sounds crazy but one of the refs (barnes charge not called) and T Taylor (general play) seem like some one has got to them.

FerryFor50
Keep the pressure on, KU. UNC will fold... Hit one or two more shots!

On a side note, funny how Kansas isn't in the bonus.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
OMG Stillman just got Withy-ed. Welcome to the tournament Stillman.

pfrduke
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Sounds crazy but one of the refs (barnes charge not called) and T Taylor (general play) seem like some one has got to them.

What in the world is this supposed to mean?

Newton_14
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
OMG Stillman just got Withy-ed. Welcome to the tournament Stillman.

He finally came unglued. My hats off to him though. He honestly played well for the most part.

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
He finally came unglued. My hats off to him though. He honestly played well for the most part.

He did. The 2nd half was a nightmare for him. He was terrified to shoot at the end.

pfrduke
03-25-2012, 07:06 PM
He did. The 2nd half was a nightmare for him. He was terrified to shoot at the end.

KU also never could have pulled off the triangle and 2 with Marshall in the game. He would have shredded that kind of junk defense.

1 24 90
03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
20 points in the 2nd half. wow.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK K Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

duke96
What in the world is this supposed to mean?

Not sure, but he did note that it sounded crazy.

A-Tex Devil
You'd be hard pressed to argue there is a better all around coach in basketball - recruiting, strategy, in-game - than Bill Self. I am not sure it's even close right now.

gus
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM

And he got a very public earful about it to. I'd say "poor kid" but how many people dream about playing point with a chance to make the final four?

sagegrouse
03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
UNC didn't score from the time the score was 68-67. How long was that? 5-6 minutes?

sage

Devilsfan
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Terrific! Longest 73 seconds I can remember. Go Heels! Go back to the hill! Roy pull out that tee shirt you wore after your last lost in the tourney. Rock Chalk, Jay Hawks!

FerryFor50
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
YESSS!!! Now I can go back to enjoying the tournament