PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. FSU, ACCT Semifinal, Pre- and In-Game Thread

hurleyfor3
03-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Wheeeee. Fsu again.

CDu
03-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Here's hoping that Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins don't combine for 2-13 from 3pt range again. And here's hoping Thornton is a little more selective from 3pt range (unless it's from the corner). And while we're at it, here's hoping Miles can join Mason in staying out of foul trouble and putting up strong numbers.

It's not going to be easy, but the good things in life rarely are. Let's go get us another trip to an ACC Final!

awhom111
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Here is the ACC list of ACC Network affiliates if you do not get ESPN or want announcer alternatives:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-basketball-match-center-game-ten.html

Greg_Newton
03-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Live by the Thornton, die by the Thornton. As Tyler goes, we go.

Seriously, this is going to be really, really tough. FSU is better than us physically at every position, possibly save PF, so we need to be hitting threes to stay competitive. I believe we've hit 23 total against them this year, a trend which needs to continue for us to have a shot.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Will FSU use the same defensive strategy that V.Tech used against Duke?

Greg_Newton
03-10-2012, 01:34 AM

I doubt it, because they don't need to. Unlike VT, they're not undersized; there's not a single player they shouldn't be able to contain 1-on-1. And considering how good their defense is, I'd be happy with Thornton shooting an open three every time down. If he's having anywhere near an average night shooting-wise, that's a good look for us, especially against FSU.

-bdbd
03-10-2012, 01:37 AM

Well, ah, it did seem to work pretty well...

Also, I was a little disappointed that Fri. we had to play Austin and our starters (esp Mason) so much.

From the box score, Austin played all 40 minutes, Mason 37 min., Seth and Tyler each got 34. If the goal is to win the tournament, then these kids are gonna be dragging by Sunday. I do hope we get to give the bench - Josh and Andre and QC - more minutes tomorrow. And, yes, I recognize that you still have to win the games first... Just saying it would have been nice if we could have. One positive: it wasn't a fast, running and scoring game; so I doubt that this one wore anyone out too bad at least.

If I'm FSU, I go back to playing Duke very physical inside and forcing TT to shoot and beat you. And use some penteration to beat our weak perimeter defense. But we're a lot better now than when they beat us in CIS.

I for one expect to see Duke bounce back from a sluggish Fri., and play very well against FSU. :D

77devil
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Here's hoping that Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins don't combine for 2-13 from 3pt range again. And here's hoping Thornton is a little more selective from 3pt range (unless it's from the corner). And while we're at it, here's hoping Miles can join Mason in staying out of foul trouble and putting up strong numbers.

It's not going to be easy, but the good things in life rarely are. Let's go get us another trip to an ACC Final!

Here's hoping Tyler doesn't take 13 threes, period. If the defense is going to sag that much out top, drive and dish. The coaches are presumably showing him the game film this morning.

Indoor66
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Here's hoping Tyler doesn't take 13 threes, period. If the defense is going to sag that much out top, drive and dish. The coaches are presumably showing him the game film this morning.

Either that or the coaches are congratulating him for doing exactly what they instructed. I could be either way.

sagegrouse
03-10-2012, 10:34 AM
FSU is stronger than Duke, although not more skilled. It made a difference in the comeback at Cameron.

FSU is offensively challenged. It would obviously help if they lose that challenge. Our D is much better than a month ago. It needs to be really good today.

Miles and Mason need to have a good offensive game.

Effective shooting from outside may be absolutely necessary but I think it's the surest way to victory.

sage

Devilsfan
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Not to mention their quickness and athleticism. Also Thorton did pass up a couple of open looks so it could have been a more respectable 5-15 or the unthinkable opposite result. We bring our A or even A- game and we win, plain and simple.

Bob Green
03-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Vegas currently has Duke as a two point favorite with the over/under set at 140:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

I'll take a 71-69 victory.

wk2109
03-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Not to mention their quickness and athleticism. Also Thorton did pass up a couple of open looks so it could have been a more respectable 5-15 or the unthinkable opposite result. We bring our A or even A- game and we win, plain and simple.

There should be a permanent thread listing the correct spellings of commonly misspelled names of Duke players.

Thornton (NOT Thorton)
Redick (NOT Reddick)
Shelden (NOT Sheldon)

If you're going to root for (or criticize) these guys, at least spell their names correctly please.

And re: Thornton, I don't think K is talking out of his behind when he says Tyler is a leader on the court. Right now, he still offers a lot more than Quinn does overall, especially defensively. You can see him directing things and ordering guys around, even guys older than him. A couple of plays come to mind to illustrate this:

-Miles got a defensive rebound and gave the ball to Tyler. They were the only players left in the backcourt and Tyler waved his hand telling Miles to hustle to the front court. Miles sprinted.
-Mason committed a bone-headed foul when hedging 40 feet from the hoop. During the next timeout Tyler pushed/slapped Mason's head.

Miles and Mason must NOT get into foul trouble today. As much as I love Josh's hustle and as much as I am intrigued by a 4 guard lineup, I believe the Plumlees have to play as much as possible today. I remember Kyle, as a sophomore, played all 120 minutes in the 2009 ACC tournament. Hopefully some of the guys are up to the challenge of playing 37+ minutes today and tomorrow.

hq2
03-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Vegas currently has Duke as a two point favorite with the over/under set at 140:

Sounds about right. Really need to shoot well in this one. Might have some minutes for silent G; need
help on D, and some of our guys will be getting tired.

Bluedog
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Based on the post-game interview that watzone posted of Tyler, it sounded like the coaches told Thornton to take the wide open shot if the defense is giving it to him. I'm sure after taking 5 of those shots, the coaches would have told him to stop or yanked him from the game if they didn't like what they were seeing. Tyler seemed a bit surprised that Va Tech just wasn't guarding him, but I think the strategy was actually quite interesting and don't personally want to see Tyler shoot that much. I think we'll need to hit a fair number of threes (which we're certainly capable of) to beat Florida State. I thought our win @FSU was the most impressive win of the season (even more than @UNC for some reason) as we showed really strong fight and fortitude in the midst of a challenging atmosphere and calls seemingly not going our way. Without Kelly, I think FSU is actually the slight favorite, but I certainly think we can win if we play well and exhibit a lot of toughness. It won't be easy, though, that's for sure. But I'm mildly optimistic.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Not feeling too good about today's matchup.

Everyone says how offensively challenged FSU is, but lately they've been just fine. Combine that with their physicality and defense, as well as Duke not having Kelly and it will be a tough matchup.

tele
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Someone else asked in another thread why Duke doesn't run Redick type plays for Andre, this would be a good game for that too. Andre and Mason need to bring it offensively for this game, they can score effectively on this team, even with FSU's strong defense. I really liked Seth's game against vt, key assists, some buckets and fts at key times, playing a more scheyeresque game, also known as winning basketball. Good to see Josh step up and play well too. Anyone know why Mike G didn't get in game? (small point, G isn't silent, its an approximate phonetic pronunciation of a foreign consonant sound, like kr in Coach K)

Gthoma2a
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I am worried about their size. Without Kelly, it will be tough to compete without foul trouble. I hope we can do it.

Watching the replays from the first game we played made me proud of Austin. He hates to lose and he really took the loss hard.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 03:27 PM
This game needs to hurry up and start.

gwlaw99
03-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Ryan is not in street clothes.

hudlow
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Just a little officiating consistency in this game...is that too much to ask for?

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Just a little officiating consistency in this game...is that too much to ask for?

I'd really rather not see officiating consistent with that last atrocity we just saw.

CLW
03-10-2012, 03:32 PM
IMHO it is imperative that the Plumlees do NOT get into foul trouble and/or Hairston has a HUGE day off the bench. We will not be able to play 4 guards against the Noles.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
IMHO it is imperative that the Plumlees do NOT get into foul trouble and/or Hairston has a HUGE day off the bench. We will not be able to play 4 guards against the Noles.

Also imperative that the Duke guards box out and rebound.

slower
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm just excited to hear Tim Brando's extraordinary mind-reading powers into the mind of Michael Snaer. Safe to say that Brando has his script for the day ("Snaer is mad about not making All-ACC First-Team").

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Good to see Curry being more aggressive and looking for his shot. And hitting one.

And Thornton hitting his corner 3.

Bad to see Snaer on fire early...

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Josh better watch those moving screens, he got away with one on that Curry 3.
Good hustle getting his hands on the ball on defense and offensive boards.

sporthenry
03-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice to see Curry hit an early one. It'd be nice to see him go on a tear in the next few weeks b/c I'm not sure how Austin's legs will hold up.

riverside6
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the game here for those interested...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=13775

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Hand checks and moving screens. We must be playing Florida State...

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Lots of contact on the last few trips. No calls. Hope that is consistent...

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Cook!!! you cant get picked like that.

CoachJ10
Come on Mase, remember how you played during the 2nd half of the Tarhole game. Channel that.

FerryFor50
So how is it a charge when a player is inside of the circle and then steps out of it when the offensive player is in the air?

CDu
03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Rivers has been really sloppy so far. Multiple times he's lost the ball on his own, and on the last possession he just completely missed a WIDE open Dawkins for a 3.

Johnny Chill
So how is it a charge when a player is inside of the circle and then steps out of it when the offensive player is in the air?

horrible call

Dukehky
Austin has infinity turnovers right now, he can't hold on to the ball when he gets in the lane, he's also making 0 effort to try and find people. 5 of our 11 points are from the sophomore class, everyone else needs to step up and do something constructive on offense.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Rivers has been really sloppy so far. Multiple times he's lost the ball on his own, and on the last possession he just completely missed a WIDE open Dawkins for a 3.

Maybe he's mad that Snaer wasn't on the All-ACC 1st team, too.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Plumlees playing well so far.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Did the entire team eat popcorn before the game?

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Sloppy and look gassed/tired early.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure what the deal is but Rivers and Curry have been really sloppy with the ball again today. Just can't have that happen. They're better than that.

9 turnovers so far for us. We're playing decent defense (and FSU is shooting awfully). We just need to play smarter on offense.

mndukie
To say we're playing "sloppy" is being far too kind.

Dukeface88
Did the entire team eat popcorn before the game?

Seriously. We cannot hang on to the ball.

On the other hand, we are crushing them on the glass so far.

_Gary
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
It's this type of game, or better yet this type of pressure defense, where not having a PG with a strong command of his dribble hurts us. We are having a horrible time just trying to initiate our offense. Just moments before Cook got stripped I told my daughter one of our guards was going to get his pocket picked. I thought it would be Seth because he was having trouble with the pressure being put on him as he was trying to survey the situation out top. If FSU can keep up this type of pressure the entire game we we'll have our hands full.

slower
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Gonna be another mug-fest. Oh, sorry Brando, I mean "incidental contact."

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Gonna be another mug-fest. Oh, sorry Brando, I mean "incidental contact."

Yep. Typical FSU "defense." Foul as much as you can get away with.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
First one to 50 wins? This is one FUGLY game.

duke09hms
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
This year's team seems to have a very low collective basketball IQ - they make a lot of mistakes uncharacteristic of DUKE teams.

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Yep. Typical FSU "defense." Foul as much as you can get away with.

Florida State plays good defense by moving their feet...it is the constant grabbing that graits on me.

loran16
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Thornton does NOT KNOW how to run the Offense without Kelly. He's too used to having a big man go outside. So he never ever passes to his guards. (They don't help much - Curry's standing still a ton).

The end result is either TT shoots (last game) or lots of Plumlee driving (This game).

The last possession we tried Dre twice manning the ball, both times failing.

Put Rivers on point, and go from there.

CLW
Not really sure how we are only down 5 when we are shooting 35% from the field have turned the ball over 12 times and are allowing 58% on the other end.

SCMatt33
I don't think I've ever seen so many low IQ plays on offense for Duke. Half their turnovers have come off of just blatantly bad decisions. Passing out of bounds, or losing a dribble is one thing, but they're doing it on plays where even if the pass is caught or the dribble isn't lost, the ball will be in no mans land anyway.

CDu
We've just played so sloppy the last two days. I'm not sure what it is with our guards and just losing their dribble. This is ridiculous. 12 first half turnovers. That has to stop.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Florida State plays good defense by moving their feet...it is the constant grabbing that graits on me.

That's not good defense. That's fouling as much as you can get away with. :)

mndukie
03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
This year's team seems to have a very low collective basketball IQ - they make a lot of mistakes uncharacteristic of DUKE teams.

While past Duke teams would make their share of turnovers I can't remember a year where there have been so many careless, inattentive plays made.

For example, Thornton just threw one out of bounds intended for Mason....even if Mason does catch it what is he going to do buried on the baseline? Is that really the best option Tyler assessed in that situation?

_Gary
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
We've got our hands full now. Austin out with 3 fouls. Not good. At all.

Channing
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
loving Mason's free throws ... but why are we turning it over so much? It looks like we just aren't strong with the ball ...

...and as I type, isn't the first rule not to save the ball under your own basket? Hairston plays hard just with low bball IQ (saving under the basket, taking contested jumpers, throwing Miles a fastball from 4 feet away...)

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Seth needs to step up and run this offense. Play strong with the ball, Seth.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
the offense is stagnant noone is moving. its just pick and roll which FSU has the athletes to switch all screens.

slower
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
That's not good defense. That's fouling as much as you can get away with. :)

Of course, they are being ALLOWED to get away with a lot. I actually wouldn't be heartbroken by a loss - let FSU beat on the Holes for a while.

And for the LOVE OF GOD, pass the freaking ball to Dawkins once in a while.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Of course, they are being ALLOWED to get away with a lot. I actually wouldn't be heartbroken by a loss - let FSU beat on the Holes for a while.

Guaranteed that Henson wouldn't play in THAT game.

johnny2001
market mis-priced this one badly!!! FSU by 7. duke's lack of talent and inability to realize they are less talented and therefore actually need to play harder than their opponent on every position will end their acc tourney road today. 1st half is proving this to be true. this team bothers me so much because i truly believe this team is blind to the fact that they are not talented. they are worse talent wise than florida state, UNC, and even nc state. because of this lack of perception they don't play hard. don't get me wrong in moments they do play hard but for 40 minutes they are not pushing the envelope of what it means to give 110% on the court. really bad perception of who they are as a team.

Channing
wow ... it looks like men against boys ... like our guys just arent strong enough to play so far

duke09hms
03-10-2012, 04:21 PM
This team reminds me of a dumber version of the 2010 team - not very athletic but without the intelligence to address that weakness.

Steven43
03-10-2012, 04:21 PM
We've just played so sloppy the last two days. I'm not sure what it is with our guards and just losing their dribble. This is ridiculous. 12 first half turnovers. That has to stop.

Our team appears to be playing about as poorly and uninspired as I've seen all season. The way this is going and having Kelly out, I don't see much of a plus to reaching the final. We need to be at full strength and inspired if we're going to beat UNC.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Not sure how Duke is only down 1 playing this poorly, but I'll take it!

Channing
what in the heck....

CLW
WTF is wrong with this team its like they went out partying last night most of the turnovers are simply unforced errors.

ben2012
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Pass the ball to Dawkins and did you see when he got thrown by a FSU big man.

Les Grossman
that Miles turnover in the last minute of the 1H!
very uncharacteristic

CDu
This is just a ridiculous amount of unforced errors so far. We've got to tighten things up.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
We may see Mike G today after all....

duke09hms
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
When is Andre ever going to learn how to dribble - the kid is going to be a senior in a few months. He's basically like NC State's Scott Wood, strictly only a spot-up shooter, can't create his own shot.

Les Grossman
03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
wow!

slower
Try to be objective, Brando. It's only moderately obvious who you're pulling for - don't wet yourself.

loran16
Down 2 at half is a good result actually. Best you could hope for there. Austin's the key - if he's in we have an offensive threat. Without him, not so much. Gotta be careful with those fouls.

duke09hms
that Miles turnover in the last minute of the 1H!
very uncharacteristic

Are you kidding me? That is VERY characteristic for this team.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 04:26 PM
As bad as Duke has been playing, foul trouble, all the turnovers, butterfingers, popcorn, bacon bits..Duke is only down by 2 at the half.

tendev
He was so disappointed that half court heave did not fall

ben2012
Zone d by duke on the last FSU possestion?

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Are you kidding me? That is VERY characteristic for this team.

How do you figure? Duke turns the ball over the least of any ACC team.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, we've survived a terrible first half offensively. Hopefully we come out more focused and composed in the second half. Rivers with 3 fouls isn't promising. Hopefully he can show some discipline for the first 5-10 minutes.

Impressive stat of the half. There is only one Duke player without a turnover: Dawkins.

We're actually shooting the 3 pretty well. And hitting FT really well. We're just doing almost everything else badly offensively.

Thankfully we're playing good defense and defensive rebounding solidly.

gwlaw99
03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Really like seeing Austin go left twice. Teams give him the baseline and he finally took it. Still wish he could finish with his left hand to avoid blocks though.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Really like seeing Austin go left twice. Teams give him the baseline and he finally took it. Still wish he could finish with his left hand to avoid blocks though.

I like seeing Rivers play well. I don't like Rivers committing a couple of dumb fouls that put him on the bench for the remainder of the half and will keep him in foul trouble for the next several minutes of the second half.

tendev
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
The guards just don't even look for Mason or Mason for pick and roles off the high screens. And Miles and Mason don't look for it either. I remember Boozer and J. Will used to kill teams with that. That play simply is not an option for this team.

superdave
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
14 turnovers. Did I hear that right? That's just plain pathetic for a team that is awake and alive.

We also dribbled into traffic with our head down 14 times, collectively. We missed the open man almost every time there was an open man, whether it was Dre peeling out on a mini-break or Miles rolling to the rim.

At least our defense is working hard, otherwise we'd be down a decent bit.

Time for Dre and Seth to crank it up and the Plums to hit the boards hard.

loran16
03-10-2012, 04:33 PM
He was so disappointed that half court heave did not fall

Every announcer wants there to be a half court shot....if you have no rooting outcome in the game, you're always excited to see one. That's not bias.

Dukehky
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
KYRIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how Austin is playing hard, but I'm not a fan of how he let Miller get in his head and essentially start a 1 on 1 battle. yeah if there was no one else on the court, you would destroy him, but there are 4 HUGE florida state players on the court, there's no reason to play like Starbury out there.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Austin Rivers is going to have to take this game over all by himself. Dre and Curry were no shows in the 1st half and we have very little chance of getting much offense from the Plumlees against FSU's front line.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Austin Rivers is going to have to take this game over all by himself. Dre and Curry were no shows in the 1st half and we have very little chance of getting much offense from the Plumlees against FSU's front line.

Curry had a pair of 3s and is roughly on his scoring pace for the season. Dawkins has been a no-show again, but I don't thin the same is quite fair to say about Curry.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Curry had a pair of 3s and is roughly on his scoring pace for the season. Dawkins has been a no-show again, but I don't thin the same is quite fair to say about Curry.

Dawkins needs to figure out that he will never get good shots if he doesn't work for them. Standing there, hoping for a kick out, doesn't work when you can shoot as well as he does. Teams tend to pay attention to you.

Devilsfan
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
When was the last time a Coach K team hand 14 turnovers and shot 35 percent in a half?

kmspeaks
03-10-2012, 04:38 PM

I know! All Andre was doing was jumping up and down screaming when he was open. If you're not going to use your jedi mind powers and FORCE them to throw you the ball then go sit in the stands.

tendev
Every announcer wants there to be a half court shot....if you have no rooting outcome in the game, you're always excited to see one. That's not bias.

Well they are supposed to be announcers not cheerleaders.

Johnny Chill

Rivers was about to take over the game until he picked up his 3rd foul.

Glad to see Cook come in and make up with the steal and finish for getting his pocket picked like a granny.

SCMatt33
03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
You can really see that without Kelly this team drops off big time in the intangible areas, Chemistry and Basketball IQ. I would guess that 80% or so of the turnovers in that half could be attributed to miscommunication, or trying to play the ball into an area where even if the pass makes it there or you get the dribble there, the play would be dead anyway. This team is not a good passing team in terms of court vision. We've seen that all year with Duke's assist rate at 287th in the county. You want to say that it's just because FSU is one of the best defensive teams out there, but I could say all of these things about the Va Tech game too.

Where you want to give Duke credit is hanging tough on Defense. I think part of this is by design. Without many guys who can get their own shot, Duke has relied on impeccable spacing to get open looks from the outside. That's a lot harder to do without a stretch 4 available. The big thing with a guy like Thornton is that as great as he is on D, he brings very little to the offensive end. He had 13 wide open looks yesterday and only hit 3. If you have to force them up there, that kind of percentage is understandable, but wide open, you have to be able to hit 5 or 6 of those to keep teams honest. Since you don't have Kelly anyway, it's a lot easier to just concentrate on D and let the offense get you what they can, since your biggest weapon is hurt big time without Kelly.

That's where you want to give some big time credit to the coaching. Against a strong defensive team, most coaches would want to get their best offense out there, but with that unavailable, Coach K has gone completely the other way and it has shown with the defense and rebounding effort that Duke has put up so far.

I must say though, Duke really needs to get Ryan Kelly back for the next tourney or it's going to be tough to beat anyone who puts in a good offensive game.

Billy Dat
03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Does anyone else feel like we had good chances to run last night and today and that it clearly wasn't part of the gameplan - like it was almost discouraged? I guess it's not our strength, but I feel like we need some easy baskets.

I think we'll play better on O in the second, less turnovers and better flow...fingers crossed.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Not sure why we continue to run high screens if:

a) we don't use the screen well
b) we don't roll to the basket or dump it in if they big guys do roll
c) we just allow them to put even more pressure on whomever is handling the ball

Right now... no real good coming from that play. Wish we would spread the floor, dump it inside. Play inside-out perhaps... hope, hope.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
This game appears that it is about to get out of hand in a hurry.

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Regardless of which Dukie has the ball...they have to play strong with it. The refs are letting FSU grab and hold (per usual), so we need to fight thru it. Play strong.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

c) we just allow them to put even more pressure on whomever is handling the ball

Right now... no real good coming from that play. Wish we would spread the floor, dump it inside. Play inside-out perhaps... hope, hope.

The bigs guys arent catching the ball or finishing when they get the chance.

_Gary
03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
This game appears that it is about to get out of hand in a hurry.

It certainly feels like we are living on the edge right now. If we don't settle down on offense and get a basket out of this TO, it does feel like it could get away from us quickly.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Our guards aren't good at using the high screen if the other team's big hedges. They just don't look to pass until it's a last resort.

Devilsfan
03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Call in the Air Force and start the bombs. K is the bombardier.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
FSU wants it more.

Channing
03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
why does TT continue to shoot 3s ... he is not a good shooter. he had a hot streak early in the season but is mediocre at best ... wasted possessions.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
OMG Miles is just standing there looking at FSU tip the offensive rebound.

I rather see Hairston in there blocking out.

_Gary
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Our guards aren't good at using the high screen if the other team's big hedges. They just don't look to pass until it's a last resort.

That's exactly what I meant earlier when I said it's killing us not to have a PG that has a command of his dribble. Without that you can't come off those screens looking and ready for a pass. Instead you have to be concentrating too much on your dribble.

slower
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, at least I can catch the 5:00 broadcast of "Law and Order."

Brando: "That's his spot." (on Thornton's 3-pt attempt) Brando, this is old news, but you are a moron.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM
lol NOONE is even bothering to guard thornton. its 5 on 4 and the 5 are better athletes than the 4

FerryFor50

Brando: "That's his spot." (on Thornton's 3-pt attempt) Brando, this is old news, but you are a moron.

That's not really his spot, anyway. Thornton's spot is the corner.

sporthenry
It appears our guards think inside the perimeter is on fire. When a team is covering you so tightly, you have to penetrate.

CLW
03-10-2012, 04:51 PM
IF I were a Tarhole I'd be rooting for Duke hard right now as we are definitely an easier out for them than FSU will be.

Devilsfan
03-10-2012, 04:51 PM
A good big seems to eat us up (miami) and we are better this year up front than we might be in a couple of years.

CDu
03-10-2012, 04:52 PM

I think that was the previous poster's point.

slower

Um, yeah...that was the point. :)

Johnny Chill
FSU wants it more.

FSU playing with more intensity, more passion, playing together, hustling, fighting, they even commit hard fouls.

grossbus
No show by us. No focus. Hard to figure this.

tendev

His spot? That was hilarious.

CLW
A good big seems to eat us up (miami) and we are better this year up front than we might be in a couple of years.

Zoubs and Lance would disagree. While they weren't scorers they played SOLID D; rebounded and NOONE played harder than those two.

_Gary

Not only that, but the pass was low and he had to reach down before getting into his motion to shoot. That hurts any shooter, much less a guy that's more mechanical in his shot like Tyler. He needs that pass to be at chest level to have a chance at making that one most of the time.

Right now we are in major danger time. Even with all the time left in the game, a 10 point deficit almost feels like too much to overcome because of how poorly we've played offensively up to this point.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Um, yeah...that was the point. :)

Sorry. My seething is clouding my reading comprehension. :D

SCMatt33
03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
It appears our guards think inside the perimeter is on fire. When a team is covering you so tightly, you have to penetrate.

So who should penetrate, Austin is in foul trouble and doesn't want to charge, and I really haven't seen the other guys beat too many defenders, especially those of FSU's quality, one on one this year. That club just isn't in this teams bag. Without Kelly, the guards can play super tight on Rivers, Curry and Dawkins, and not have to worry about stepping out on the Plumlees when they screen. You just sag off of Thornton and make sure that he is the open guy.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Not only that, but the pass was low and he had to reach down before getting into his motion to shoot. That hurts any shooter, much less a guy that's more mechanical in his shot like Tyler. He needs that pass to be at chest level to have a chance at making that one most of the time.

Right now we are in major danger time. Even with all the time left in the game, a 10 point deficit almost feels like too much to overcome because of how poorly we've played offensively up to this point.

Well you can't say it's a surprise. They were this bad on offense last night, too.

tendev
03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I still don't know why he does not get more PT.

sporthenry
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I feel that V. Tech set the tone with let TT beat us and we need Cook or Curry to play well. As I say that, Cook shows what he brings.

CLW
Nice spark from Cook.

Dukehky
Not Quinn Cook apparently

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Just when the message board is about to explode from disappointment, we make a run!

mcdukie
03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Nobody respects K more than me but I still don't understand why Quinn doesn't play more. I also don't understand why they pull him so fast when they do put him in.

_Gary
03-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Love seeing Quinn step up.

CLW
Dawkins falling asleep on D again.

slower
Sorry. My seething is clouding my reading comprehension. :D

I feel you, buddy! I just don't want to see FSU go to full "punk" mode - and believe me, they WANT to (witness those two missed statement dunks) . But if our guys keep playing like stiffs, they deserve to be humiliated.

CoachJ10
Moving screen on Hairston?? Have they watched the Florida State offense the whole game???

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Just when the message board is about to explode from disappointment, we make a run!

And just before we hit a big 3, the phantom moving screen gets called!

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Nobody respects K more than me but I still don't understand why Quinn doesn't play more. I also don't understand why they pull him so fast when they do put him in.

Because his defense (individual and team) has been very poor at times. Pretty simple.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 04:59 PM
And then the phantom shooting foul. Sigh. I don't think I can take this two games in a row.

Johnny Chill
03-10-2012, 04:59 PM
2 things I like about Hairston is that he blocks out and the runs the court to the front of the rim.

1 thing I hate about Hairston is commits too many moving screens. He got away with 1 in the 1st half, the got caught causing a TO.

CDu
03-10-2012, 05:00 PM
And just before we hit a big 3, the phantom moving screen gets called!

Well it was Hairston, so I think there's a reasonable chance it was a moving screen. The foul on Mason? That's another story.

Les Grossman
03-10-2012, 05:02 PM
horrible pass by miles
wow again

Johnny Chill
Please get Miles out of there

FerryFor50
Well it was Hairston, so I think there's a reasonable chance it was a moving screen. The foul on Mason? That's another story.

I think my frustration comes from that "call it on both ends" mentality. Was it a moving screen? Maybe... but if that was one, there have been about 15 missed calls.

CLW
03-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Time for a run

muzikfrk75
03-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Good defense Rivers

slower
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Thank God for Austin Freaking Rivers. He is a gamer. Let's just roll with Rivers, Thornton, Hairston and whoever else plays like they give a crap.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Great, vintage Duke team defense there.

CLW
03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Vitale says Miles has passed Mason and with the play down the stretch its hard to disagree.

FerryFor50
get hairston out. get thorton out. don't play them. play dawkins, rivers, curry, and the 2 plumlees for the rest of the game. that's if you want to outscore your opponent of course. hairston can't even make a tip in.

You don't get back in the game without defense and rebounding.

sporthenry
Dickie V said it best, we can be home by next Friday or be there on March 31.

Les Grossman
that layup was big

tendev
03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
We actually did it!!!! It has freaking been there all day. So we miss a few. Keep working it.

CLW
You don't get back in the game without defense and rebounding.

Agreed IMHO Hairston is playing pretty well

FerryFor50
that layup was big

The play recognition was big. That's been there all game long.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Didn't realize that riding a player without the ball all around the court with your hands in the air was defense.

tendev
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM
They have 3 guys up top stopping the 3 just daring us to go down to our bigs. We have to make them pay for that.

slower
Didn't realize that riding a player without the ball all around the court with your hands in the air was defense.

You need to watch more FSU games. You'll get used to it.

Devilsfan
The foul on Mason was late. Didn't occur until Hamilton screamed at the ref.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
You need to watch more FSU games. You'll get used to it.

I'd rather not. That sounds pretty boring.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
The foul on Mason was late. Didn't occur until Hamilton screamed at the ref.

Speaking of late... lol

Or maybe early?

CLW
03-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Need a stop now if we can get in front it will put allot of game pressure on the Noles.

MartyClark
03-10-2012, 05:16 PM
We're hanging in there.

slower
03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh, okay, Brando. So now FSU "wants it too much."

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Win ugly, I suppose. Just win!

muzikfrk75
03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
We're hanging in there.

We're IN there :-)

Prob a good time out there by FSU

CLW
03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
obviously biggest possession of the game right here. STOP and FSU's wheels could fall off.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure how you defend that Snaer floater. He throws it up high and out of reach of our shot blockers... just hope he starts missing it!

tendev
03-10-2012, 05:21 PM
OK, now I am getting nervous

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure how you defend that Snaer floater. He throws it up high and out of reach of our shot blockers... just hope he starts missing it!

I guess you stop it by letting him take a bad 3...

CLW
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Rivers with a HUGE bucket there. Kid just has "onions" and seems to be able to will the ball into the hoop.

CDu
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
We may or may not end up winning this game, but I LOVE the way this team is fighting back in last 10 minutes. I just hope they can finish it off.

slower
03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Rivers with a HUGE bucket there. Kid just has "onions"

Kid has pumpkins. :)

tendev
Oh, okay, Brando. So now FSU "wants it too much."

Yeah GMan thought that was amusing too.

MartyClark
Rivers with a HUGE bucket there. Kid just has "onions" and seems to be able to will the ball into the hoop.

Rivers is one tough kid.

FerryFor50
We may or may not end up winning this game, but I LOVE the way this team is fighting back in last 10 minutes. I just hope they can finish it off.

They've been doing this all year. I've not seen them give up in a game yet.

tendev
03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Pump up the volume pound your chest!! Wow what is that

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Hung up on screen, pushed to the floor... same difference, right?

slower
03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh, no, not Plumlee hands. Not now.

CoachJ10
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hung up on screen, pushed to the floor... same difference, right?

Grabbing and holding all game long...

MartyClark
Pump up the volume pound your chest!! Wow what is that

Brando should lower the volume and hang his head,\.

Gthoma2a
AAAAHH! So stressful! This war could make tomorrow hard for either of us.

FerryFor50
Stinking lucky bounces. Sigh.

2 more minutes of toughness here!

ChicagoCrazy84
03-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I like Tyler Thornton, the guy brings a lot of toughness and intensity, but man he needs to learn to shoot.

This off-season, he needs to be putting up 100000000 shots a day.

sporthenry
03-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I like Tyler Thornton, the guy brings a lot of toughness and intensity, but man he needs to learn to shoot.

This off-season, he needs to be putting up 100000000 shots a day.

I guess its b/c Cook is a freshman but why are we not doing offense for defense or even Dawkins and let Curry handle the ball. Its effectively having a roving man to help off TT.

Gthoma2a
03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
That was unnecessary... Shot clock winding down and that kind of distance. We have to get it going in this last minute.

slower
Oh, no, not Plumlee hands. Not now.

Plumlee brain - even better.

FerryFor50
Bad shot, bad foul.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Can't say losing Mason hurts too much at this point... he's not been that great this game. But hurts to lose his size.

sporthenry
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Have to wonder why Rivers didn't have the ball in his lands for the past two minutes. TT getting a shot, Curry taking an off balanced 3 when we were down 1, I believe.

muzikfrk75
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Not enough evidence to overturn.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Not looking too good. Big shot there by FSU...

ChicagoCrazy84
03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Not enough evidence to overturn.

Wrong!!! We still have a chance!

Now...anyone but Tyler!!!

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Anyone want to bet on who takes this shot?

CDu
03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Can't say losing Mason hurts too much at this point... he's not been that great this game. But hurts to lose his size.

It hurts if this goes to OT.

CDu
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Just a bad play by Rivers. Dumb. Oh well.

FerryFor50
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Absolutely awful shot. And lucky that he didn't get called for the push off.

Oh well. #2 seed it is!

ChicagoCrazy84
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
5 seconds on the clock and he throws that up. Why do kids get so scared when it comes down to one last possession? Just keep your dribble and find an opening or find an open man!!

sporthenry
03-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Just a bad play by Rivers. Dumb. Oh well.

Yeah, its just so frustrating to see our execution so poorly. I know they were afraid of the foul but just go up with the shot at first chance instead of a double clutch shot. Just not a traditional Duke team and like you say, oh well. Perhaps FSU can have fun with UNC again.