PDA

View Full Version : Other Conference Tournaments

hurleyfor3
03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
UConn just beat West Virginia in overtime. They just won't go away, will they?

Gottlieb and Jason Williams are doing commentary together right now. Scoreboard, Doug! I believe Jason went back to 1978 to get that blazer he's wearing.

throatybeard
03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
UConn just beat West Virginia in overtime. They just won't go away, will they?

Very disappointing endgame for WVU. Blown lead, brickfest in OT, multiple failures to get shots off at all, turnovers.

Channing
03-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I dont want to be the seven seed looking at a potential game against 10 seed UConn.

1 24 90
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I dont want to be the seven seed looking at a potential game against 10 seed UConn.

Or more importantly the 2 seed that could get them in the "3rd" round.

I'm hoping they win enough to get in the 8-9 game. Can you imagine a "3rd" round game between Uconn & Unc or Kentucky?

dukelifer
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm hoping they win enough to get in the 8-9 game. Can you imagine a "3rd" round game between Uconn & Unc or Kentucky?

The selection committee will find a way to have Duke play UConn. Could be in the second game.

Cameron
03-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Can you imagine a "3rd" round game between UConn and Duke? Because that's exactly the kind of thing the committee would make happen.

Ugh.

1 24 90
03-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Can you imagine a "3rd" round game between UConn and Duke? Because that's exactly the kind of thing the committee would make happen.

Ugh.

Not to mention a regional final with UK. (or as I like to view it, the #2 seed who draws the short straw)

Bluedog
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't want a "third round" game with West Virginia either. If they had shot a respectable percentage from 3 (rather than 16% on 19 attempts), they would have dominated UConn. WV has a 6-point victory over Georgetown, a two-point road loss to Syracuse, a two-point loss to Baylor, an 11-point win over Miami, and a one-point loss to Marquette. They've been competitive with very good teams, but just haven't gotten over that hump in most cases. Kevin Jones is a good player.

Dev11
03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
WV has a ...two-point road loss to Syracuse

I believe that game was a tie. Ask Mssr. Hess. I'm with you, though, we don't want WVU.

1 24 90
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't want a "third round" game with West Virginia either. If they had shot a respectable percentage from 3 (rather than 16% on 19 attempts), they would have dominated UConn. WV has a 6-point victory over Georgetown, a two-point road loss to Syracuse, a two-point loss to Baylor, an 11-point win over Miami, and a one-point loss to Marquette. They've been competitive with very good teams, but just haven't gotten over that hump in most cases. Kevin Jones is a good player.

And WVU is a monster offensive rebound team! Hopefully they fall to an 11 seed.

ncexnyc
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
How about some love for the Detroit Titans and Ray McCallum. I seem to recall we had some interest in that young man and he's had a pretty solid season, averaging 15.6 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 3.9 APG, and he shoots 76% FT.
The Titans are going dancing this year after a very long layoff.

Cameron
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
In case anyone is interested, our sister school is currently in action against Montana in the Big Sky finale.

http://themixtapemonster.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/arceneaux.jpg

Pretty big memories. And look at that smile. Harold's still got it after 13 years.

uh_no
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Not to mention a regional final with UK. (or as I like to view it, the #2 seed who draws the short straw)

well last year we would have been lined up to play

Michigan
arizona
uconn
kentucky
butler

Perhaps the 5 teams most associated with Duke Postseasons. (not that they could have lined up the last 3....but its who ended up there)

Wander
03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Everyone's going to pick UConn as a sleeper Elite 8 team, and then they're going to get crushed by a Memphis or a Gonzaga in the first round. Book it!

uh_no
03-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Everyone's going to pick UConn as a sleeper Elite 8 team, and then they're going to get crushed by a Memphis or a Gonzaga in the first round. Book it!

As someone who's watched just about every single one of their games this year, they are terrible. they make Deano's 4 corners offense look like run+gun....

take a look at the rebounding margin.....WV outboarded them 40-22....and Uconn is supposed to have two of the best big men in the country (oriakhi, drummond)....well they were SUPPOSED to...til everyone realized it didn't work out that way.....

if they hadn't won these two games in the BET, i would have said they aren't a tournament team. they don't look like one...if they put together another decent showing against syracuse tomorrow, I'll think MAYBE with the righ draw they could be sleeper elite 8 team....they are talented, no doubt...and talent can beat anyone on the right night.....talent without offense can also lose to anyone on any night...

RockyMtDevil
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I hate Uconn, but they just forced two five second calls and didn't get either one, ending the game...To bad, pretty great comeback.

I'm not all that impressed with this 31-1 Syracuse team. They don't overwhelm you like a Kentucky or Carolina can.

Jderf
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I hate Uconn, but they just forced two five second calls and didn't get either one, ending the game...To bad, pretty great comeback.

I'm not all that impressed with this 31-1 Syracuse team. They don't overwhelm you like a Kentucky or Carolina can.

Sounds exactly like what people said about Duke in 2010. Good on paper, but they don't impress. They don't pass the eye-test.

Cuse is a well-coached team with plenty of talent and a few flaws too, like just about every other title contender this year. They have as good a chance as anyone, in my opnion, whether they impress us or not.

Native
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Cincy posts a big win over Georgetown in 2OT — will play 'Cuse in the semis.

uh_no
03-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Sounds exactly like what people said about Duke in 2010. Good on paper, but they don't impress. They don't pass the eye-test.

Cuse is a well-coached team with plenty of talent and a few flaws too, like just about every other title contender this year. They have as good a chance as anyone, in my opnion, whether they impress us or not.

Duke 2010 won games by controlling them....we didn't always win big, but we absolutely controlled the games. Syracuse doesn't control games.....they get lucky...the goal tend was a huge one....uconn is not a very good team and has now come within a shot of them twice.....Syracuse will win some games in the tournament because their zone and depth will hurt opponents....but they will lose against a talented team....my guess is sweet 16 they lose

A-Tex Devil
03-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Big win over a tourney bound Iowa St. Team. Royce White is a player. Looks more like Anthony Mason than Anthony Mason Jr., at least in style of play.

NC State will have a beef if they don't get in over Texas. Although Texas was up in that game before J'Covan Brown got kicked out with 8 minutes left.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Well, the Pac-Televen is pretty intriguing. They're down to Oregon State/Zona and Colifornia/Calorado on Friday. Who knows who has a bid from that conference, although I think anyone not still playing, including Washington, can forget about it.

Friday is my favorite day of the year of college basketball. This is true whether I'm spending the day in Greensboro or in front of the teevee.

Jderf
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Duke 2010 won games by controlling them....we didn't always win big, but we absolutely controlled the games. Syracuse doesn't control games.....they get lucky...the goal tend was a huge one....uconn is not a very good team and has now come within a shot of them twice.....Syracuse will win some games in the tournament because their zone and depth will hurt opponents....but they will lose against a talented team....my guess is sweet 16 they lose

They very easily could lose in the sweet 16. I readily admit that. But they could just as easily take it all the way. And if they lost those few games in which they squeaked by? Then they would have an incredibly weak record of... 28-4? Still second best record in Div-1? I feel that might still be pretty impressive.

"Duke in 2010 won games by controlling them?" Maybe we say that in retrospect, but people didn't seem so cocksure at the time. Remember, that team got beat terribly by a decent Georgetown team and was also crushed by a god-awful NC State team. They squeaked out tense wins against teams like Miami and Boston College. People worried incessantly that they played stall-ball far too much (which was odd seeing as the team's normal style of play was almost identical to stall ball) and that we were simply too soft and too thin on the perimeter to make a deep run. Then, going into March, all the team's moving pieces suddenly clicked into place, and the guys came together for a late push. You know the rest.

Who's to say that Syracuse can't do the same? They're definitely just as strong a candidate as anyone else this year, probably stronger than most.

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
They very easily could lose in the sweet 16. I readily admit that. But they could just as easily take it all the way. And if they lost those few games in which they squeaked by? Then they would have an incredibly weak record of... 28-4? Still second best record in Div-1? I feel that might still be pretty impressive.

"Duke in 2010 won games by controlling them?" Maybe we say that in retrospect, but people didn't seem so cocksure at the time. Remember, that team got beat terribly by a decent Georgetown team and was also crushed by a god-awful NC State team. They squeaked out tense wins against teams like Miami and Boston College. People worried incessantly that they played stall-ball far too much (which was odd seeing as the team's normal style of play was almost identical to stall ball) and that we were simply too soft and too thin on the perimeter to make a deep run. Then, going into March, all the team's moving pieces suddenly clicked into place, and the guys came together for a late push. You know the rest.

Who's to say that Syracuse can't do the same? They're definitely just as strong a candidate as anyone else this year, probably stronger than most.

I posted this somewhere else, but now I'll link to it (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/02/23/Power.Rankings/index.html). If Syracuse runs into a big team, with half decent guard play, they are in trouble. A team like K-State, Michigan St., Washington or Baylor may grab well over half of their offensive rebound opportunities.

From the link from February:

Only four teams have made the NCAA tournament with a worse DOR% than Syracuse's current 38.3, and none has won a game:

Year Team (Seed) DOR% Rank
2004 L-Lafayette (14) 39.2 316
2006 UAB (9) 40.7 331
2008 Coppin St. (16) 38.6 333
2010 Houston (13) 38.5 338

None of those teams won their opening round game. Syracuse is currently allowing it's opponents to pull down 36.1% of their offensive rebound opportunities right now, so they've improved. But big teams are going to be playing volleyball off the 'Cuse's defensive glass.

Dukehky
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know if anyone else is paying attention to the half-time shows and between game reports on ESPN, but Jason Williams and Gottlieb are going at it, and Gottlieb is kind of getting torched on just about everything by my main man #22. Also, Gottlieb is trashing Notre Dame... wonder why?

uh_no
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I posted this somewhere else, but now I'll link to it (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/02/23/Power.Rankings/index.html). If Syracuse runs into a big team, with half decent guard play, they are in trouble. A team like K-State, Michigan St., Washington or Baylor may grab well over half of their offensive rebound opportunities.

Only four teams have made the NCAA tournament with a worse DOR% than Syracuse's current 38.3, and none has won a game:

2006 UAB (9) 40.7 331

None of those teams won their opening round game. Syracuse is currently allowing it's opponents to pull down 36.1% of their offensive rebound opportunities right now, so they've improved. But big teams are going to be playing volleyball off the 'Cuse's defensive glass.

They got beat last night on the boards by a uconn team who got killed (40-22) on the boards the night before to UWV. I can't see them going too far.

Jderf
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM

2006 UAB (9) 40.7 331

They got beat last night on the boards by a uconn team who got killed (40-22) on the boards the night before to UWV. I can't see them going too far.

These are good points, but I think it is safe to say that, while poor rebounding was obviously a contributing factor, those four teams all lost primarily because they were just very bad teams. Noting a single statistical similarity between them does not mean that Syracuse (a 1-seed) is doomed to the same fate as a 9-, 13-, 14-, or 16-seed. A historically low DOR% is certainly a very big flaw to overcome, but Syracuse's season-to-date shows that it can be done. They couldn't have compiled a 31-1 record without compensating for the low DOR% in other areas, and they are undeniably a very stong team and a title-contender.

True, going deep in the tournament despite their flaws is going to be incredibly difficult -- especially if they get a bad matchup. But that sentence is true for the other 67 teams as well.

uh_no
03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
also of note, njit after havung a 51 game losing game streak 3 years ago just won in their conference semis and will be playing for a tournament shot tomorrow

tbyers11
03-09-2012, 05:17 PM
also of note, njit after havung a 51 game losing game streak 3 years ago just won in their conference semis and will be playing for a tournament shot tomorrow

Maybe a spot in the NIT, CBI or CIT (does this one still exist?). They won't be playing for a spot in the NCAA tourney because the Great West doesn't have an automatic bid. Still impressive to be 15-16 (11-16 vs DI) so soon after that losing streak.

uh_no
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Maybe a spot in the NIT, CBI or CIT (does this one still exist?). They won't be playing for a spot in the NCAA tourney because the Great West doesn't have an automatic bid. Still impressive to be 15-16 (11-16 vs DI) so soon after that losing streak.

:(

that makes me sad!

did not know that....aren't they in the process of trying to obtain a spot though? (the great west)

g-money
03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't know if anyone else is paying attention to the half-time shows and between game reports on ESPN, but Jason Williams and Gottlieb are going at it, and Gottlieb is kind of getting torched on just about everything by my main man #22. Also, Gottlieb is trashing Notre Dame... wonder why?

Somebody's gotta put a replay of this on YouTube for the folks at work. This is the epidome of good triumphing over evil.

Kedsy
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
:(

that makes me sad!

did not know that....aren't they in the process of trying to obtain a spot though? (the great west)

They are. They are supposed to get an automatic bid starting in 2020.

1 24 90
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Kudos to Colorado for winning their first PAC 12 tourney, especially after being snubbed last year. And for good measure, they knocked out Arizona. Duke curse?

hurleyfor3
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Njit lose to the Fighting Sioux.

uh_no
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Njit lose to the Fighting Sioux.

It is really quite impressive how far they've come on 3 years......51 straight losses to vying for their conference title.

Greg_Newton
03-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Akron-Ohio for the MAC is great right now. Akron scored the last seven to cut the deficit to 62-61, has the ball with a 2-second shot clock differential out of the TO. Turn on ESPN2!