PDA

View Full Version : WBB - NCAA Seeding Speculation

DU82
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Creating a new thread instead of continuing in the ACC tourney/NC State thread. Pairings are announced next Monday.

Right now, ESPN's Charlie Crowe has us as the number two seed in Rhode Island with UConn as number one, with Maryland going to the Raleigh region. Makes sense from a ranking standpoint, however I could see a scenario where we'd be in Raleigh to help sell tickets (Maryland does travel fairly well, though.). Both are possibilities, depending on which way the committee goes (they've done both scenarios in the past.)

Regarding the first/second round games, right now we're pegged for Nashville, with number 7 seed Vanderbilt as the host. North Carolina, one of the last four in, is a host. If there enough upsets in tournaments, they could get knocked out. Right now, Dayton is leading St. bonaventure in the A-10 final, which would move UNC down a notch closer to being out. Dayton being the last at-large in, UNC third, with the Bonnie's a projected sixth seed, so should be safe. (Go Flyers!)

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2012, 06:37 PM
If we don't get the two in Raleigh I'd rather face UCONN, at least we've played them and they ARE beatable. Best scenario would be for us to face that #1 seed (likely ND) in front of a friendly crowd. As MSU (And Coach P) proved against Duke a few years ago, having the tourney in your backyard is a huge advantage. Wherever we play, keep us far, far away from Baylor. Like the Huskie teams of the past, they are the ones you don't want to face.

As far as unc goes...they at least won their first game of the ACC tourney but really needed a Friday win to cement their status. The committee is going to look at the margin of defeat in their losses and give a huge "hmmmm". They got absolutely blown out by too many teams. (Duke was one of those...yay!)

Duvall
03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Right now, Dayton is leading St. bonaventure in the A-10 final, which would move UNC down a notch closer to being out. Dayton being the last at-large in, UNC third, with the Bonnie's a projected sixth seed, so should be safe. (Go Flyers!)

*pop* (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/gamecast?gameId=320650179)

uh_no
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
*pop* (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/gamecast?gameId=320650179)

love it!

DU82
03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
And BYU bumping off Gonzaga pushes the Heels down another notch. It might come down to hosts UNC and Gonazga getting the last bid. I hope the committee feels that the west is under represented.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
And BYU bumping off Gonzaga pushes the Heels down another notch. It might come down to hosts UNC and Gonazga getting the last bid. I hope the committee feels that the west is under represented.
Even though we've benefited from being hosts, I hate the use of host teams in the women's tournament. Unfortunately it's (theoretically) needed due to ticket sales. The theory is that nobody will show up to see an early round game of a 16 vs. a 1 seed unless the 1 seed is playing on their home court. I don't think this is completely true; last year Duke had a very tough game in Cameron vs. Marist. If I recall correctly, Marist had a great number of fans show up....and they are a small college in Poughkeepsie, NY. If unc gets shipped off to the NIT, we'll get to see how a host site does without its host team.

DU82
03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Arkansas-Little Rock's upset of Middle Tenn. State in the Sun Belt championship moves MTSU to an at-large slot in the latest ESPN bracketology, and pushes UNC to the first team out. Texas is listed as the last team in. Those could flip if Texas loses early in the Big 12 tourney.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Arkansas-Little Rock's upset of Middle Tenn. State in the Sun Belt championship moves MTSU to an at-large slot in the latest ESPN bracketology, and pushes UNC to the first team out. Texas is listed as the last team in. Those could flip if Texas loses early in the Big 12 tourney.
I don't understand how the bracketologists even have Texas in the picture. They have a crappy overall record (18-12) and an even crappier conference record (8-10). I don't see how they can justify placing a team with a losing conference record in the dance.
The heels at least have a winning conference record and a 20 win season. And I don't think they really deserve to be dancing either.

uh_no
03-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't understand how the bracketologists even have Texas in the picture. They have a crappy overall record (18-12) and an even crappier conference record (8-10). I don't see how they can justify placing a team with a losing conference record in the dance.
The heels at least have a winning conference record and a 20 win season. And I don't think they really deserve to be dancing either.

The top of the ACC is phenomenal. The bottom half of the acc is absolutely horrid. The ACC has three teams with worse overall records than missouri, by far the worst team in the big 12. UNC had 4 wins against those three teams. The tops of their schedules are similar (despite the fact that UNC played no one remotely close to Baylor.....but unless you've played baylor, you haven't played anyone remotely close to baylor). But its the wins off of bottom feeders UNc feasted on in the ACC that Texas didn't have the opportunity to. Instead of 7-23 BC, Texas was playing 19-12 TTU.

That's why Texas is in. also 2 tanked wins vs 1 for UNC.

Eventually what it comes down to is you have to put SOMEONE in, and texas is probably a slightly better candidate than is UNC.