PDA

View Full Version : All ACC Team announced (Austin on 1st, Seth MPII 3rd)

watzone
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
FIRST TEAM
Tyler Zeller, North Carolina (186)
Mike Scott, Virginia (184)
John Henson, North Carolina (170)
Austin Rivers, Duke (164)
Harrison Barnes, North Carolina (153)

SECOND TEAM
Kendall Marshall, North Carolina (151)
Terrell Stoglin, Maryland (131)
Michael Snaer, Florida State (127)
C.J. Leslie, NC State (99)
Erick Green, Virginia Tech (70)

THIRD TEAM
Seth Curry, Duke (65)
C.J. Harris, Wake Forest (57)
Lorenzo Brown, NC State (52)
Kenny Kadji, Miami (45)
Mason Plumlee, Duke (43)

HONORABLE MENTION
Bernard James, Florida State (42); Andre Young, Clemson (35); Travis McKie, Wake Forest (26); Durand Scott, Miami (26).

ACC ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM*
John Henson, North Carolina (61)
Bernard James, Florida State (54)
Jontel Evans, Virginia (39)
Michael Snaer, Florida State (31)
Andre Young, Clemson (29)

ACC ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM*
Austin Rivers, Duke (61)
Ryan Anderson, Boston College (61)
Dorian Finney-Smith, Virginia Tech (53)
Shane Larkin, Miami (43)
Nick Faust, Maryland (41)

Bluedog
03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks watzone and congrats Austin! Well deserved honor. And congrats to Seth and Mason as well. I'll be very interested to see who wins COY tomorrow - hope it's Coach K! Interesting that Curry actually outpaced Mason. I don't think many of us would have expected that, especially if you asked us a month ago. Mason barely sneaked into the third team, beating James by a point. Looks like somehow Mike Scott was not a unanimous first teamer. Zeller is pretty much guaranteed POY at this point it seems. When the league goes to 14 teams with 'Cuse and Pitt, it's going to be even tougher competition/a more difficult task for the media members to choose five players for first team. Seems like they should expand it to 8 players on each All-ACC team to make the ratio the same as when there were only 9 teams and five players on each team. ;)

roywhite
03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks, Watzone.

Seems about right, though I think I would have had Marshall ahead of Barnes (vote was very close)

Don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt any ACC team has ever had 4 of the top 6 selections, as this year's Heels team did.

superdave
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
FIRST TEAM

SECOND TEAM

I'm not so sure I agree, but I am really happy four Uncers didnt make the first team.

It would have been more appropriate for Marshall to be first team, because he's more important than Barnes to their success. Also, it's hard not to feel like Barnes is an under-achiever given all the hype around him.

subzero02
03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
FIRST TEAM

SECOND TEAM

THIRD TEAM
Seth Curry, Duke (65)
Kenny Kadji, Miami (45)
Mason Plumlee, Duke (43)

HONORABLE MENTION
Bernard James, Florida State (42); Andre Young, Clemson (35); Travis McKie, Wake Forest (26); Durand Scott, Miami (26).

ACC ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM*

ACC ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM*
Austin Rivers, Duke (61)
Shane Larkin, Miami (43)

Hopefully Austin will follow this up with ACC POY next season.

watzone
03-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Watzone.

Seems about right, though I think I would have had Marshall ahead of Barnes (vote was very close)

Don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt any ACC team has ever had 4 of the top 6 selections, as this year's Heels team did.

No it has never happened. I think this is the second time 3 players have been on 1st team, the first being Duke in 02. A total of 61 voters from the ACSMA cast votes, one did not include an All Defensive team. !st team votes were worth 3 points, 2nd 2 points and 3rd 1 point. Mason beat out Bernard James by a single digit as the last man chosen on the 3rd team.

subzero02
03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
No it has never happened. I think this is the second time 3 players have been on 1st team, the first being Duke in 02. A total of 61 voters from the ACSMA cast votes, one did not include an All Defensive team. !st team votes were worth 3 points, 2nd 2 points and 3rd 1 point. Mason beat out Bernard James by a single digit as the last man chosen on the 3rd team.

how did Zeller get 186 votes then? That would be 62 votes worth 3 points each

jipops
03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm not so sure I agree, but I am really happy four Uncers didnt make the first team.

It would have been more appropriate for Marshall to be first team, because he's more important than Barnes to their success. Also, it's hard not to feel like Barnes is an under-achiever given all the hype around him.

It may not be that he's underachieved. It may be that he has a had a sometimes difficult time in the current offensive system.

Marshall making 2nd team and Barnes making 1st seems ridiculous to me. Of the two, which has made the biggest impact on the ACC's best team?

One team in the ACC finishes a game back of 1st place with a #1 tournament seed still not out of the question and has one 1st teamer and no 2nd teamers. I wonder if that coach will get coach of the year?

arlight
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
When's the last time a freshman, made 1st team all-acc? Just curious!

CDu
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
FIRST TEAM: Tyler Zeller, Mike Scott, John Henson, Austin Rivers, Harrison Barnes

SECOND TEAM: Kendall Marshall, Terrell Stoglin, Michael Snaer, C.J. Leslie, Erick Green

THIRD TEAM: Seth Curry, C.J. Harris, Lorenzo Brown, Kenny Kadji, Mason Plumlee

HONORABLE MENTION: Bernard James, Andre Young,Travis McKie, Durand Scott

No huge surprises for me. I'd have gone with Marshall over Barnes for 1st team, but I figured the last spot would come down to those two guys. I wouldn't have Plumlee making third team (honorable mention with James, McKie, or Anderson getting the last 3rd team spot over Plumlee). I also had Kelly and Reggie Johnson as honorable mention ahead of Young.

Congrats to Rivers, Curry, and Mason for the honor of making the All-ACC teams. Hopefully next year we'll see Mason and Curry join Rivers on the 1st Team. :)

Bluedog
03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
When's the last time a freshman, made 1st team all-acc? Just curious!

Hansbrough (2006). Austin becomes the 7th freshman to make the 1st team in ACC history.

dukelifer
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
FIRST TEAM

SECOND TEAM

THIRD TEAM
Seth Curry, Duke (65)
Kenny Kadji, Miami (45)
Mason Plumlee, Duke (43)

HONORABLE MENTION

ACC ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM*

ACC ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM*
Austin Rivers, Duke (61)
Shane Larkin, Miami (43)

Zeller will likely get POY, Henson- DPOY, Rivers ROY and COY- Roy or K

Kedsy
03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
COY- Roy or K

I'll be surprised if either Roy or K win COY. My guess is it will go to Hamilton or Bennett.

CDu
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I'll be surprised if either Roy or K win COY. My guess is it will go to Hamilton or Bennett.

Agreed. UNC was supposed to finish #1 in the conference, and they did. Duke was supposed to finish #2 in the conference and they did. FSU and UVa would seem the most likely. Outside threats for the honor might be Gottfried or Larranaga (sp?). But I'd expect it to be Hamilton or Bennett.

Duvall
03-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Agreed. UNC was supposed to finish #1 in the conference, and they did. Duke was supposed to finish #2 in the conference and they did. FSU and UVa would seem the most likely. Outside threats for the honor might be Gottfried or Larranaga (sp?). But I'd expect it to be Hamilton or Bennett.

Of course, FSU was supposed to finish #3 in the conference, and they did, and UVa was supposed to finish #4 in the conference, and they did. The only team that really outperformed its preseason prediction was NC State, but that kind of thinking got Seth Greenberg two COY awards.

It's such a silly award.

jipops
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Of course, FSU was supposed to finish #3 in the conference, and they did, and UVa was supposed to finish #4 in the conference, and they did. The only team that really outperformed its preseason prediction was NC State, but that kind of thinking got Seth Greenberg two COY awards.

It's such a silly award.

Right, so if the logic for the award goes to the team that beat expectations why would it go to Hamilton or Bennett? If UNC were not blown out by 33 to FSU then Roy has a good case (of course there was also the 13 pt collapse in 2.5 minutes). Arguably, Duke doesn't have a bad ACC loss and none were on the road. Miami went overtime, FSU was last second, and UNC is the top ACC team (maybe the margin makes that one bad). If NC State or FSU were to be picked 2nd in the preseason and only have losses similar to what I outlined above, what are the chances their coach would get the award?

Honestly, I really don't care that much who wins it. It is a totally subjective award. Just makes for a somewhat interesting discussion.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I too would have had Marshall replace Barnes on the first team.

They are both one dimensional players (Marshall's scoring against Duke Saturday not withstanding -- that was just his fifth duble figure scoring game of the season).

I would argue that Marshall is better at his one dimension (playmaking) than Barnes is at his (scoring). Marshall is one of the four or five greatest pure playmakers in ACC history ... indeed, he'll brak the ACC single-sason assist record in the first round of the ACC Tournament.

Barnes, on the other hand, is a good scorer, but nothing special -- his 18 points a game aren't even the best total in the ACC this year. He doesn't have as many rebounds as Miami point guard Durand Scott and he has less than half as many assists as Duke's "selfish" Austin Rivers (indeed, it's hard to find a starting perimeter player in the ACC with less assists than Barnes). Defensively, he's as bad as Marshall -- maybe worse. Remember the Duke-UNC game in Chapel Hill when Barnes started off on Rivers -- and Roy had to switch Bullock on him by thefirst TV timeout?

Unfortunately, the All-ACC voters value scoring more than playmaking ... at least nough of them do to vote Barnes over Mashall on the first team.

CDu
03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

It's such a silly award.

Were FSU and UVa the consensus picks to go 3rd and 4th? I'm guessing there's some discrepancy there. However, even if that's accurate, the team UVa fielded for the ACC season was not the same UVa team that may or may not have been rated 4th preseason. Bennett had to deal with two early-season transfers (one from a key starter and the other a reserve big man), a mid-season injury to their starting center, and a midseason injury that greatly limited perhaps their second-best scorer. If I believed pre-season that UVa was 4th and you told me all that, I'd have changed my expectations of them to be much less. As such, I'd guess Bennett wins the award for keeping that team in the top-4 in the conference.

dukelifer
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I thought Roy because he did this minus a key starter- although they were loaded to begin with or K because he managed to do it after losing 3 star players- and only really had one bad loss in conference. But you are probably right. Hamilton certainly did pretty well with the team he had. Need to spread the love a little bit.

CDu
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately, the All-ACC voters value scoring more than playmaking ... at least nough of them do to vote Barnes over Mashall on the first team.

I think this is true. I also think that preseason rep had a lot to do with it as well. I was pretty sure that Barnes would get more votes than other wings like Stoglin, Snaer, Green, Brown, and CJ Harris. I just figured that Marshall's strong finish (especially his game against us) would resonate enough for him to overtake Barnes' preseason rep and fairly high scoring average. Guess I was wrong. Not that it really matters.

#1Duke
03-05-2012, 06:01 PM

They are both one dimensional players (Marshall's scoring against Duke Saturday not withstanding -- that was just his fifth duble figure scoring game of the season).

I would argue that Marshall is better at his one dimension (playmaking) than Barnes is at his (scoring). Marshall is one of the four or five greatest pure playmakers in ACC history ... indeed, he'll brak the ACC single-sason assist record in the first round of the ACC Tournament.

Barnes, on the other hand, is a good scorer, but nothing special -- his 18 points a game aren't even the best total in the ACC this year. He doesn't have as many rebounds as Miami point guard Durand Scott and he has less than half as many assists as Duke's "selfish" Austin Rivers (indeed, it's hard to find a starting perimeter player in the ACC with less assists than Barnes). Defensively, he's as bad as Marshall -- maybe worse. Remember the Duke-UNC game in Chapel Hill when Barnes started off on Rivers -- and Roy had to switch Bullock on him by thefirst TV timeout?

These guys play on TEAMS and TEAM dynamics, your teammates and how strong they are in their positions play a HUGE role in what a players "job" is on any given team.
Barnes's job is not to worry about assists. If they come they come but in UNCs offense, he is a scorer... that's his job.
Marshall is an assist machine... that's HIS primary job. Comparing Austin Rivers assists as a guard to Barnes assists as a forward doesn't wash.
Marshall didn't score enough to make first team. If he would have had maybe 5 more good scoring games to go along with his assists he probably would have made first team.

I'm sure if Barnes played on a team that wasn't as balanced as UNC, didn't have such strong Bigs, that he would have higher stats in all areas. Team dynamics and one's "job" on the team play a big part in stats.
I'll take 3 guys scoring 15 to 20 PPG over one scoring 30 while the rest of the team doesn't contribute as much..... balance is a good thing.

Just trying to be objective here.

Bluedog
03-05-2012, 06:03 PM

I think this is true. I also think that preseason rep had a lot to do with it as well. I was pretty sure that Barnes would get more votes than other wings like Stoglin, Snaer, Green, Brown, and CJ Harris. I just figured that Marshall's strong finish (especially his game against us) would resonate enough for him to overtake Barnes' preseason rep and fairly high scoring average. Guess I was wrong. Not that it really matters.

Well, the difference between Marshall and Barnes was two small points meaning ONE voter could have made the difference. If one voter had switched it and had Marshall on first team and Barnes on second team, they would have tied at 152 points. I guess then six players make the first team or is there some tiebreaker? So, I wouldn't say it's general rule that the voters clearly value scoring more than playmaking as their totals were basically identical.

sagegrouse
03-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Well, the difference between Marshall and Barnes was two small points meaning ONE voter could have made the difference. If one voter had switched it and had Marshall on first team and Barnes on second team, they would have tied at 152 points. I guess then six players make the first team or is there some tiebreaker? So, I wouldn't say it's general rule that the voters clearly value scoring more than playmaking as their totals were basically identical.

I tend to agree with you, but it's a crowded voting ballot (12 teams and only 15 players), and Marshall only averaged 7 points per game vs. the Heels' high scorer, Barnes, with 18.

sage

ncexnyc
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Just wondering, on a team with both Zeller and Henson, how many RPG should TBP be getting?

NSDukeFan
03-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Just wondering, on a team with both Zeller and Henson, how many RPG should TBP be getting?

That depends on whether you expect TBP (nice, by the way) to be one of the best jump shooters in the conference or to be a great player and potential #1 pick after being the #1 player in his high school class.

Newton_14
03-05-2012, 08:45 PM
No huge surprises for me. I'd have gone with Marshall over Barnes for 1st team, but I figured the last spot would come down to those two guys. I wouldn't have Plumlee making third team (honorable mention with James, McKie, or Anderson getting the last 3rd team spot over Plumlee). I also had Kelly and Reggie Johnson as honorable mention ahead of Young.

Congrats to Rivers, Curry, and Mason for the honor of making the All-ACC teams. Hopefully next year we'll see Mason and Curry join Rivers on the 1st Team. :)

Disagree on Mason. Anyone named Plumlee will never get due respect, but other than a 4 game stretch, Mason had a hell of a year. He overcame the horrid foul shooting with tons of extra work in the gym, and developed into a good low post scorer. To me you have to look at body of work. Mason played really well up until the final two weeks of Feb. where he struggled with scoring (still rebounded well though). He bounced back in a huge way in the 2nd half Saturday as well, taking it right to the chest of Henson and Zeller, proving he can in fact score against the best frontlines. I think 3rd team All-ACC is a fair merit for the year Mason had. Congrats to both Mason and Seth on their 3rd Team honors.

Congrats to Austin. After a slow start in the ACC he really stepped up and got it done.

I do hate Barnes scraped by with two more points than Marshall. I thought Marshall deserved 1st Team over Barnes.

davekay1971
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Congratulations to Austin, Seth, and Mason. Quite an honor for all three of them.

I'm in the camp that thinks that Marshall probably deserved a spot on the team above Barnes. Barnes has yet to show a consistent capability to create his own shot, and his scoring average is largely a result of Marshall's play at the point. Part of his improvement last season was his development as a player...the other part was Marshall taking over the point. Almost immediately Barnes became a much more productive player.

Another way of looking at it: when you think of first team All-ACC guys, you think of guys that you absolutely have to game-plan for, guys who stand out as being able to really hurt you. Marshall is in that category - he can make UNC's offense pretty unstoppable. Barnes, on the other hand, is a good scorer. I'm not knocking Barnes - he should certainly have been 2nd team All-ACC, and that's makes him one of the top 10 players in the ACC. But Marshall is clearly the more valuable guy on UNC's team, and stands out as being the best guy, at his position, in the league.

CDu
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Disagree on Mason. Anyone named Plumlee will never get due respect, but other than a 4 game stretch, Mason had a hell of a year. He overcame the horrid foul shooting with tons of extra work in the gym, and developed into a good low post scorer. To me you have to look at body of work. Mason played really well up until the final two weeks of Feb. where he struggled with scoring (still rebounded well though). He bounced back in a huge way in the 2nd half Saturday as well, taking it right to the chest of Henson and Zeller, proving he can in fact score against the best frontlines. I think 3rd team All-ACC is a fair merit for the year Mason had. Congrats to both Mason and Seth on their 3rd Team honors.

It's a fair disagreement. And I'm not saying Mason was completely undeserving. I had him as an honorable mention, so it's not like I think he had no business being there. I just would have given the nod to McKie or James (taking into account tempo, I think James's ACC stats look better than Mason's) over Mason. It was basically a dead heat between James and Mason in the actual vote, so it's not like there's a huge discrepancy.

WVDUKEFAN
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't get overly wrapped up in the individual awards, but the part that is tough to take as a Duke fan is that none of our kids made the all defensive team. Coach K lives for defense, so much in fact that he named one of his dogs "Defense". Our great teams have had great defenders. There are so many that I won't even bother to start listing them.