PDA

View Full Version : Problems at Syracuse

Channing
03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I know Coach K respects the heck out of Jim Boeheim, and (by all apprearances) Syracuse appears to do things "the right way", but there sure has been a lot of smoke in and around the program. The latest claim is that the basketball program did not adhere to its drug policy, and has a history of doing so.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-syracuse_basketball_investigation_drug_violation_0 30512

Duke of Nashville
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I know Coach K respects the heck out of Jim Boeheim, and (by all apprearances) Syracuse appears to do things "the right way", but there sure has been a lot of smoke in and around the program. The latest claim is that the basketball program did not adhere to its drug policy, and has a history of doing so.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-syracuse_basketball_investigation_drug_violation_0 30512

Ouch, him 'em where it hurts.

Just read this article. It states that two sources have come out to say that one player continued to play after four failed drug tests and another continued to play after three failed tests. A total of 10 players may have failed a drug test since the 2000-2001 season. The report does not name players and Jim Boehim says he knows nothing...

If true, lack of institutional control.

Bluedog
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Does Yahoo! Sports just have investigators go program-to-program and see what dirt they can pick up? ;) I'm not saying their reports are inaccurate necessarily, but seems like Yahoo! has these types of stories on a continuous loop. Haven't read the article yet, though...When is the Pitt report going to come out? They must be next since they're also joining the ACC. ;)

uh_no
03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Does Yahoo! Sports just have investigators go program-to-program and see what dirt they can pick up? ;) I'm not saying their reports are inaccurate necessarily, but seems like Yahoo! has these types of stories on a continuous loop. Haven't read the article yet, though...When is the Pitt report going to come out? They must be next since they're also joining the ACC. ;)

Pat Forde is a top notch journalist who left ESPN presumably because they were preventing him from investigating stuff like this (which could mar ESPN programs). He has stated he wanted freedom in what he could write about, and that ESPN had topics which were "off limits".

He's not just some blogger going program to program.

Duvall
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Pat Forde is a top notch journalist...

[citation needed]

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson is a well-respected investigative journalist with well-placed sources throughout college sports, including with the NCAA. Pat Forde is a buffoon who posts pictures of cheerleaders and Ashley Judd.

uh_no
03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
[citation needed]

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson is a well-respected investigative journalist with well-placed sources throughout college sports, including with the NCAA. Pat Forde is a buffoon who posts pictures of cheerleaders and Ashley Judd.

Prior to working at ESPN, Forde worked for 17 years at The Louisville Courier-Journal, where he won 16 national awards in the AP Sports Editors writing contests. His work has twice been included in The Best American Sports Writing, and he was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in 1990.

People may dislike his style, but that does not detract from his position in the industry. He is not some kiddie blogger like most of the other article writers on yahoo seem to be...

Atlanta Duke
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
[citation needed]

Maybe this?

SI.com’s Richard Deitsch wrote, “Landing Pat Forde is a bold, smart move for Y! Sports”

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/10/14/Media/Pat-Forde.aspx

Or this?

He is, with the possible exception of a certain pocket around Lexington, Ky., one of the most highly regarded sports journalists in the country

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/10/13/congrats-to-pat-forde-who-leaves-espn-for-yahoo-sports/

House G
03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Ouch, him 'em where it hurts.

Just read this article. It states that two sources have come out to say that one player continued to play after four failed drug tests and another continued to play after three failed tests. A total of 10 players may have failed a drug test since the 2000-2001 season. The report does not name players and Jim Boehim says he knows nothing...

If true, lack of institutional control.

Boeheim knows nothing? It worked for this guy lol.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060711022620/hh/images/6/60/Sgt._Schultz.jpg

arnie
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Boeheim knows nothing? It worked for this guy lol.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060711022620/hh/images/6/60/Sgt._Schultz.jpg

We already have two active rogue programs in the heels and canes - don't need another one. Pretty soon, not gonna be much to differeniate between the ACC and SEC; except for bad football.

Devilsfan
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
We already have two active rogue programs in the heels and canes - don't need another one. Pretty soon, not gonna be much to differeniate between the ACC and SEC; except for bad football.

Maybe Swofford can convince UCLA to join the ACC.

wilko
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Perhaps SU just needs to find a team leader like Thad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0n4phlvfRY) (warning not exactly office friendly)

Turtleboy
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Does Yahoo! Sports just have investigators go program-to-program and see what dirt they can pick up? ;) I'm not saying their reports are inaccurate necessarily, but seems like Yahoo! has these types of stories on a continuous loop. Haven't read the article yet, though...If you had, you would have read this --

We self-reported issues with drug testing to the NCAA, and there is currently an ongoing inquiry,” Syracuse said in the statement. “The inquiry does not involve any current SU student-athletes. To ensure the integrity of the ongoing process, we are unable to comment further at this time.

Looks like there is something there.

JasonEvans
03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
The irony is, as I understand it, that the NCAA and Big East do not require schools to do drug tests. Syracuse chose to do this of their own volition. But, if they are going to do it, the NCAA apparently does require the school to take action against players found violating the substance abuse guidelines (or something like that).

So Syracuse did not have to test, but did so because the school thought it was the right thing to do. However, once there was a positive test Syracuse was required to punish the player in question but failed to do so which was the wrong thing to do. This whole thing is just mildly insane ;)

The fun part is, the ACC will likely get Syracuse just as Boeheim is retiring and the program is being slapped with some kind of penalties/probation (as well as the stain of the Bernie Fine mess). So, we probably do not get the perennial national title contender that has been at the top of the Big East for the past decade.

-Jason "I like Beoheim, but the stench of some of this stuff is going to start sticking to him real soon" Evans

uh_no
03-06-2012, 05:32 PM
The irony is, as I understand it, that the NCAA and Big East do not require schools to do drug tests. Syracuse chose to do this of their own volition. But, if they are going to do it, the NCAA apparently does require the school to take action against players found violating the substance abuse guidelines (or something like that).

So Syracuse did not have to test, but did so because the school thought it was the right thing to do. However, once there was a positive test Syracuse was required to punish the player in question but failed to do so which was the wrong thing to do. This whole thing is just mildly insane ;)

The fun part is, the ACC will likely get Syracuse just as Boeheim is retiring and the program is being slapped with some kind of penalties/probation (as well as the stain of the Bernie Fine mess). So, we probably do not get the perennial national title contender that has been at the top of the Big East for the past decade.

-Jason "I like Beoheim, but the stench of some of this stuff is going to start sticking to him real soon" Evans

I think its a little more general as far as I understand it. I THINK the NCAA says if you make rules on anything, you have to follow them. So if a school makes a rule of "athletes must be suspended 1 game in every class they get below a c," they must then follow it. If they have a student who fails a class or some such and they don't suspend them, since they violated their own protocol it becomes an NCAA violation.

I think it makes sense that the NCAA requires institutions to follow their own rules, or face sanctions. I think its stupid that the NCAA does not have a drug policy. You don't have to have a strict policy, but if you do, you better follow it.

RoyalBlue08
03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't think the NCAA needs to be getting involved in recreational drug use. I think each school should make and follow whatever rules it feels are appropriate. In most of these cases, individual treatment, counseling, or education is the best thing for the students involved. Why this system seems to be broken at SU is a SUvproblem, but i don't see why other schools should care. I think the NCAA has enough to do to try and assure a level playing field.