PDA

View Full Version : How much do NCAA tourney tickets costs for Duke students?

porsche5k
03-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Grad student posting here. I would like to see Duke play in the tournament and I was wondering 1.what the process of getting tickets is like for students and 2. what the cost is.

I thought it was a little crazy that Duke wanted $396 for the package to see the ACC games. Any tips/insight are welcome and GO DEVILS!

uh_no
03-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Grad student posting here. I would like to see Duke play in the tournament and I was wondering 1.what the process of getting tickets is like for students and 2. what the cost is.

I thought it was a little crazy that Duke wanted $396 for the package to see the ACC games. Any tips/insight are welcome and GO DEVILS!

last year first and second round tickets were $154 for the two games in which duke would have played (144 the year before)

last year regional ticekts were $186 for the 3 game set (160 the year before)

2 years ago final four tickets were $25 for the three game set (yes you read that right...i went to all three games for 25 bucks...plus gas and food...)....because they want the student section filled for tv...and if they made them more expensive, they'd have a hard time convincing students to travel cross country.

They'll probably send out an email as soon as we're seeded. (sometime around 930 on sunday) from duketix@duaa.duke.edu

hurleyfor3
03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
$396 for acc tickets is face. That's how much the league wants from everyone.

At the last acc tournament I attended there were about 15 Duke students. With 12 teams you have to pay for a lot of worthless games nowadays. Back in the early 1990s we sent 200-250 students, easily.

Anyway, your original question. The ncaa will probably charge each participating school face for lowers. The exception is the Final Four, where students sit on the floor and pay something like $20 for both sessions. Last year I attended both sessions of the rounds of 64 in Denver. Face was $64 whether the seats were very good or very sucky (I paid I think $20 for the day session and $25 for the night session on the street, and sat in good lowers). If they make you buy all three sessions, that would be $192, or $128 if you don't have to buy the Round of 64 session Duke doesn't play in.

Student Life or whatever it's called nowadays should have the details on tickets the monday after the brackets come out.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2012, 11:54 PM
last year first and second round tickets were $154 for the two games in which duke would have played (144 the year before)

Are you saying you weren't forced to buy the session Duke didn't play in?

uh_no
03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Are you saying you weren't forced to buy the session Duke didn't play in?

The student lottery for tickets to the 1st and 2nd Rounds of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament will be held on Monday, March 14, 2011 from 8:30 AM -
4 PM at the ticket office in Cameron Indoor Stadium. To enter the lottery, please go to the ticket office during these hours and:

1. Present your DukeCard.

2. Present 2 checks written to DUAA, each for $77.

3. Sign the lottery rules form.

If you are successful in the lottery, you will claim your tickets by presenting your DukeCard at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, NC
on Friday, March 18, 1 1/2 hour before the Duke session.
If Duke wins the first round, you will automatically get tickets to the second round on Sunday, March 20. Otherwise, your second check for $77 will be destroyed.

This lottery is only for current Duke students. Students who are successful in the lottery may NOT transfer their ticket to anyone else.

I did not go, so i don't know whether you could get into the other game or not......but the other emails for other rounds made it was clear it was for the three round set.....so I have no idea....but they make it clear you pay once for the first round and once for the second...and you got your money back if we lost

hurleyfor3
03-05-2012, 12:11 AM
OK, so count on $35-40 per game for the subregionals (four games) and $60ish for the regionals (three games). Funny how face was less for my tickets last year than what student tickets cost. Not sure whether that was due to regional/arena differences or what.

Back in the day the tickets were definitely done through Student Life, not the athletic department. On the Mondays after we would make the Final Four, the Flowers Building was an absolute zoo.

uh_no
03-05-2012, 01:15 AM
OK, so count on $35-40 per game for the subregionals (four games) and $60ish for the regionals (three games). Funny how face was less for my tickets last year than what student tickets cost. Not sure whether that was due to regional/arena differences or what.

Back in the day the tickets were definitely done through Student Life, not the athletic department. On the Mondays after we would make the Final Four, the Flowers Building was an absolute zoo.

Yeah it ends up being managed by student life....I had a few emails back and forth with Dean Sue about tickets a couple years back.....

as of 2010 they were still doing it out of the flowers building.

I think the student tickets might be more expensive since they are actually courtside?

IDK...I only could make the final four and it was 25....shrug