PDA

View Full Version : Strange Computer Issue

brianl
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out there. For the last week, I have not been able to bring up the web address for the two banks that I do business. All other sites seem to work just fine, but for these two, the browser just churns.

Ive used IE and Mozilla. I'm thinking that I've done something in the security settings. I can access both sites from my other computers, the problem occurs on one particular lap.

It's older, a Dell Latitude D610, but has never caused me issues before.

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks

alteran
03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out there. For the last week, I have not been able to bring up the web address for the two banks that I do business. All other sites seem to work just fine, but for these two, the browser just churns.

Ive used IE and Mozilla. I'm thinking that I've done something in the security settings. I can access both sites from my other computers, the problem occurs on one particular lap.

It's older, a Dell Latitude D610, but has never caused me issues before.

Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks

Not to be alarmist, but I would scan the bejeezus out of that computer. Sophisticated viruses can reroute requests and send them to other places, or intercept them, capture your password, and then complete the transaction normally. The selectivity is disturbing.

There are some settings in the browser that MIGHT set off something like you described, but it should be browser-specific. Having it simultaneously change in 2 or more browsers is just weird. Likewise, security settings in the OS would be far more likely to make EVERYTHING unavailable, not just two websites (and banks at that).

You might ought to consider logging into those banks from a trusted device and changing the passwords.

Whatever antivirus you are using, I would consider downloading a different one (try avira or AVG, both have free versions) and doing a full system scan.

It's possible that this is just one of those weird things, but better safe than sorry here. Post back here or IM me after scanning and let me know how that goes, after that we can try to figure a next step.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree with Alteran. Also run tdsskiller http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684 and combofix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix to ensure that you do not have a rootkit virus.