PDA

View Full Version : Crank Up the Coaching Carousel

burnspbesq
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Jim Baron is out at Rhode Island. He had a pretty decent run, but the wheels fell off this year.

By all accounts, he is one of the genuinely good people in the coaching profession. Hope he lands on his feet.

Cameron
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Baron's son, Little Jimmy, put on a show to remember in Cameron in November 2008, hitting 8-of-10 threes and nearly single-handedly leading the Rams to a victory over Duke. I think he snuck into the gym before the game and stole J.J.'s jersey from the rafters because Baron was just killing shots in traffic from 30 feet. Either that or he was born on Moron Mountain.

Bob Green
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I am surprised to read SIU has fired Chris Lowry:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=43730

hurleyfor3
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
8-1 odds Calhoun is at URI next year.

BlueDevilinNYC
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Baron's son, Little Jimmy, put on a show to remember in Cameron in November 2008, hitting 8-of-10 threes and nearly single-handedly leading the Rams to a victory over Duke. I think he snuck into the gym before the game and stole J.J.'s jersey from the rafters because Baron was just killing shots in traffic from 30 feet. Either that or he was born on Moron Mountain.

I'll never forget that game. Second row watching him drain three-after-three in the second half to keep URI in the game. Had all of us scared to death. One of the few times I remember the Crazies giving an opponent a standing ovation as he left the game.

uh_no
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

that was the only home game not over a vacation that i didn't attend in my 4 years as a student :|

devildeac
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
THought I saw this AM that Charlie Coles resigned yesterday at Miami (Ohio). One of the more colorful personalities to grace the visitors bench and interview area pre/post games in recent years at CIS, IIRC.

94duke
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
THought I saw this AM that Charlie Coles resigned yesterday at Miami (Ohio). One of the more colorful personalities to grace the visitors bench and interview area pre/post games in recent years at CIS, IIRC.

Yes, you did see it. Here is a link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/03/06/miami.coles.ap/index.html?sct=cb_t2_a8

B-well
03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I'll never forget that game. Second row watching him drain three-after-three in the second half to keep URI in the game. Had all of us scared to death. One of the few times I remember the Crazies giving an opponent a standing ovation as he left the game.

How can you tell when the Crazies give someone a standing ovation?

BlueDevilinNYC
03-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Haha touche. What I meant to is that it was the only time I saw the Crazies "enthusiastically" clap for a player on the other team, much like we would for our own. And there's no doubt he deserved it

superdave
03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Bruce Weber fired at Illinois today. They were 17-15 on the season but dropped 12 of their last 14.

I am assuming he both lost the locker room and angered alums/administration officials. Otherwise I think he's too good a coach to fire after one bad season.

Anyone following this one more closely?

superdave
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Bruce Weber fired at Illinois today. They were 17-15 on the season but dropped 12 of their last 14.

I am assuming he both lost the locker room and angered alums/administration officials. Otherwise I think he's too good a coach to fire after one bad season.

Ohhhhh. I just had a thought. Collins is from the Chicago burbs. Could he be on the short list for Illinois? Would they accept him, considering he left the state to play his college ball at Duke?

My guess is the usual suspects get called - Stevens, Smart etc. But Chris Collins will probably get some consideration here.

dyedwab
03-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Ohhhhh. I just had a thought. Collins is from the Chicago burbs. Could he be on the short list for Illinois? Would they accept him, considering he left the state to play his college ball at Duke?

My guess is the usual suspects get called - Stevens, Smart etc. But Chris Collins will probably get some consideration here.

Assuming the Illinois is willing to with someone without head coaching experience, I would be stunned if Chris Collins isn't on their list. He's from the state, he went the high school coached by Weber's brother (also Scheyer's high school), and there are at least three former Duke assistants under K whose first head coaching job was a slightly down program in a BCS conference (Amaker at Seton Hall, Snyder at Missouri, Dawkins at Stanford)

Again, a lot depends on a lot, but assuming that they don't decide that they need someone who has previously run a program, it would be both schocking &, imho, foolish, for Illiinois NOT to consider Chris Collins.

dyedwab
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish of CBS say that Shaka Smart of VCU is on top of Illinois's wish list, and the Chris Collins could also be a possibility

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/35156720

wilko
03-09-2012, 09:57 AM

My uninformed speculative guess is that Collins would be on the short-list for U of Ill. And that interest would be reciprocated from Collins. Why wouldn't they have interest in a native son and I equally suspect that the draw to "go home" to a certain degree; would have its own special lure to him. I couldn't blame Chris for seriously considering and even taking job.

The thing in my mind is recruiting. Duke is involved with a # if Ill. recruits... Do those guys transfer their interest in Duke to Chris's new home? Who knows..

Dukehky
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I think that it's time for Collins to take a head coaching job as soon as a decent one becomes available. I would be really surprised if Smart left to coach in an area that he's not familiar with recruiting-wise, and I think that Illinois will end up having to take a very serious look at Collins, or at least I'd like them to.

Wildcat
03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Chris Collins needs to do a little crawling before he heads off to the "big-times." (May be a little too late for that crawqling now) Ala, Bobby Hurley. A smaller, mid-major, perhaps where he can prove himself. Many of our formers go off to large programs without having really proven themselves at one place outside of being an Assitant at Duke under a Hall of Famer. I think one can be successful with that jump from K, to a bigger school; but you've got to be reeeel goood.

rasputin
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish of CBS say that Shaka Smart of VCU is on top of Illinois's wish list, and the Chris Collins could also be a possibility

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/35156720

If Shaka Smart was looking for a better position, I would think he could do better than Illinois.

There was a lot of local speculation when SIU fired Lowery that Weber would be fired at Illinois, and would return to SIU.

RockyMtDevil
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't already a done deal. it's been interesting over the past few weeks to see Chris take on a leadership role in the huddle, calling plays and pretty much running several time outs. Maybe he and K have known this is in the cards and K has graciously allowed him to take on some game situations to provide him more experience.

I would be shocked if ILLINI don't offer Collins the job. Time to begin thinking about who we may replace him with. Is it Capel, as we have about 48 assistant coaches right now..

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
This thread should have been titled "Crank up the speculation about if, when and where Wojo and Collins are going this year".

Blue KevIL
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Illini grad here, with my thoughts...

The bar was set exceptionally high with Bill Self's three years and Weber's subsequent success with Self's recruits. Weber has had a difficult time living up to expectations after the amazing run to the 2005 Championship Game. Weber's Big Ten record since the departure of Dee Brown & James Augustine after the 2005-06 Season was just 56-61.

Weber somehow had difficult time recruiting -- he missed on many huge in-state recruits. One miss that many will point to is Jon Scheyer. Scheyer played high school basketball for Weber's brother, Dave. The fact that Scheyer chose not to go to Illinois and won a National Title at Duke is not a good reflection on his recruiting. It was always a point of contention at Tournament Time seeing top Illinois high schoolers help Duke, Kansas State, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan State, etc. advance far into the dance each year.

Since then, Weber had stepped-up his in-state efforts only to get burned by the one-and-done Jereme Richmond (who went undrafted last year). In my opinion, Weber IS a very good coach, but the type of recruit he was "obligated" to bring to Illinois did not fit into his system. He is better suited to taking lesser talented players who will buy-in and play team offense. That is why Weber will likely wind up back at mid-major Southern Illinois where he will not have access to recruit the 4- and 5-Star recruits.

I like Weber and wish him the best, but it has been time for a change for a while now. His Illini teams frequently ran the shot clock down to nothing and forced shots. In bounds plays after a time-out were often executed poorly. Notoriously under Weber, the Illini have rated nationally in the 200's in FT attempts and -- I guess symbolically -- yesterday against Iowa, became just the 2nd team in 15 years (and 1st in the Power 6 Conferences) to shoot ZERO FT's in a conference tournament game. The whole culture of Illinois Basketball needed a shake-up.

As far as the administration goes, Illinois has a new Athletic Director named Mike Thomas. He has now hit the trifecta in his first year: He canned football coach Ron Zook after a 6-6 year where Illinois started 6-0. He canned women's basketball coach Jolette Law after 5 seasons where the Illini finished no higher than 8th in the Big Ten. And now he has canned Weber after a season where Illinois started 15-1 and finished 17-15 and live on the NIT Bubble. Thomas better be right about his firings and hirings because UofI has paid Zook a $2.6 Million buy-out, Law a $620,000 buy-out, and now Weber a $3.9 Million buyout. For a state that is quite shaky from a finance perspective, $7.12 Milllion is a lot of money to pay three people not to coach any more.

Public speculation has mentioned the obvious names as potential replacements: Brad Stevens & Shaka Smart. This board has mentioned Chris Collins. Thomas has past history with Shaka Smart: the two worked together at the University of Akron sometime between 2003 and 2005 when Smart was an assistant there and Thomas was the AD. Smart was born in Madison, WI and grew up in Wisconsin -- so he is familiar with the Midwest and Big Ten country. Also, Thomas may be under pressure to hire an African-American coach. Two Trustees voted against the hiring of Zook's replacement because there were no A-A canidates and the recently terminated women's coach Jolette Law is A-A.

I would not be surprised to see Illinois make a hard run at Shaka Smart and I would welcome it.
His style of play "Havoc" is what we don't see in the Big Ten.

Blue KevIL (formerly Illini Kevin)

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
If Shaka Smart was looking for a better position, I would think he could do better than Illinois.

That's not as long a list as you'd think. There aren't that many jobs better than Illinois out there. Seth Davis is tweeting it's a top 5 or 10 job. I think Seth's crazy to rank it that high, but Illinois is probably one of the 15-20 best jobs in the country. Might Shaka hold out for a better job? Sure. But that's a pretty narrow list (Duke, UNC, KU, UK, UCLA, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, OSU, MSU, Texas, Arizona, Maryland (?), NC State (?)Georgetown(?), Florida (?)) and those jobs don't come along that often. Smart's also a midwestern guy -- grew up in Madison, went to college in Ohio -- and he was an assistant at Akron for at least one year while Illinois AD Mike Thomas was the Akron AD.

Illinois's stature as a program -- which I suspect will be somewhat disputed here -- is also why I think this is a longshot for Chris Collins. It's great for him to get his name out there, but this is a heck of a big job for a first time head coach. It's a bigger step than Tommy, Quin or Johnny took in taking their first jobs, and none of those were smashing successes. If Chris or Wo wants to be the head coach at Duke someday, they need to show they can lead a program. Illinois would be a fantastic opportunity for Chris, but I suspect that it's too attractive and guys who already have that experience will end up more serious candidates.

FWIW, I'm an Illinois law grad (1998), and grew up going to Illinois games, and did regularly until I came to Duke for undergrad.

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Illini grad here, with my thoughts...

As far as the administration goes, Illinois has a new Athletic Director named Mike Thomas. He has now hit the trifecta in his first year: He canned football coach Ron Zook after a 6-6 year where Illinois started 6-0. He canned women's basketball coach Jolette Law after 5 seasons where the Illini finished no higher than 8th in the Big Ten. And now he has canned Weber after a season where Illinois started 15-1 and finished 17-15 and live on the NIT Bubble. Thomas better be right about his firings and hirings because UofI has paid Zook a $2.6 Million buy-out, Law a $620,000 buy-out, and now Weber a $3.9 Million buyout. For a state that is quite shaky from a finance perspective, $7.12 Milllion is a lot of money to pay three people not to coach any more.

Blue KevIL (formerly Illini Kevin)

FWIW, all of the buyout money is likely to have come from private sources. Shadid Khan, the guy that just bought the Jags, was reported to have paid Zook's buyout. Illinois as a state has a ton of financial problems, but the athletic departement at Illinois is privately funded, so it shouldn't really matter.

TexHawk
03-09-2012, 01:12 PM
That's not as long a list as you'd think. There aren't that many jobs better than Illinois out there. Seth Davis is tweeting it's a top 5 or 10 job. I think Seth's crazy to rank it that high, but Illinois is probably one of the 15-20 best jobs in the country. Might Shaka hold out for a better job? Sure. But that's a pretty narrow list (Duke, UNC, KU, UK, UCLA, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, OSU, MSU, Texas, Arizona, Maryland (?), NC State (?)Georgetown(?), Florida (?)) and those jobs don't come along that often. Smart's also a midwestern guy -- grew up in Madison, went to college in Ohio -- and he was an assistant at Akron for at least one year while Illinois AD Mike Thomas was the Akron AD.

Illinois's stature as a program -- which I suspect will be somewhat disputed here -- is also why I think this is a longshot for Chris Collins. It's great for him to get his name out there, but this is a heck of a big job for a first time head coach. It's a bigger step than Tommy, Quin or Johnny took in taking their first jobs, and none of those were smashing successes. If Chris or Wo wants to be the head coach at Duke someday, they need to show they can lead a program. Illinois would be a fantastic opportunity for Chris, but I suspect that it's too attractive and guys who already have that experience will end up more serious candidates.

FWIW, I'm an Illinois law grad (1998), and grew up going to Illinois games, and did regularly until I came to Duke for undergrad.

Agreed. Good coaches leave Illinois for the NBA (Kruger) or to a blue-blood (Self). That program is an absolute monster in the right hands. If Self had stayed, Charlie Villanueva, Sherron Collins, Julian Wright all go to Champaign. They would have had a good shot at guys like Shumpert and Anthony Davis. Their best bet is finding someone who loves the Midwest, can recruit Chicago a bit, and wants to build a legacy.

I live in Chicago, and everyone I talk to wants Stevens first (pipe dream), Shaka 2nd (likely), and Collins is nowhere in the Top 5. There are two reasons: (1) They were really hurt when Self left, and K is on the backside of his career. They worry that if Collins is successful, he'd jump for Duke in a second if/when K retires. (2) Illinois coaches have historically struggled in Chicago recruiting. It's a tangled mess to navigate. Collins is from the suburbs, he's not from the city. He wouldn't be able to just walk into Simeon High and get anybody he wants. In fact, being from the suburbs could make it harder.

tommy
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't already a done deal. it's been interesting over the past few weeks to see Chris take on a leadership role in the huddle, calling plays and pretty much running several time outs. Maybe he and K have known this is in the cards and K has graciously allowed him to take on some game situations to provide him more experience.

I would estimate the chances of this being accurate as . . . zero.

I think Illinois is a job with a ton of potential, actually. It is a huge state university with a ton of alumni support, playing in a major conference with tons of visibility. Even more importantly, they are right in the heart of rich recruiting territory, as they would be a natural landing spot for a lot of kids coming out of the Chicago schools.

-bdbd
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM

I would be shocked if ILLINI don't offer Collins the job. Time to begin thinking about who we may replace him with. Is it Capel, as we have about 48 assistant coaches right now..

Shaka Smart just signed a very long-term contract with VCU, something like 10 years. Collins to IL makes a lot of sense to me, being from there and having been holding out for something like this. For those not already aware, he is rumored to have had other, mid-major opportunities that he has turned down, in hopes/expectation of going straight to something bigger. I would think IL and the Big10 would qualify.

It'll be interesting to see how one of Duke's top 2013 recruiting targets responds to this... 6'8" SF Jabari Parker, #1 in the class, hails from Chicago and IL /Weber was considered one of his leaders. In fact, Parker's dad recently put out a statement that they didn't want to see Weber leave IL, as they had established a strong relationship with the coach, and obviously that his departure would hurt IL's chance of landing his son.

I hope Chris gets this great fit/opportunity.

As for who Duke would replace him with, it seems obvious that they'd re-establish James as an Assistant Coach, as he just stepped aside to allow room for Capel to join the staff on the bench, but is still on staff.

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Shaka Smart just signed a very long-term contract with VCU, something like 10 years. Collins to IL makes a lot of sense to me, being from there and having been holding out for something like this. For those not already aware, he is rumored to have had other, mid-major opportunities that he has turned down, in hopes/expectation of going straight to something bigger. I would think IL and the Big10 would qualify.

It'll be interesting to see how one of Duke's top 2013 recruiting targets responds to this... 6'8" SF Jabari Parker, #1 in the class, hails from Chicago and IL /Weber was considered one of his leaders. In fact, Parker's dad recently put out a statement that they didn't want to see Weber leave IL, as they had established a strong relationship with the coach, and obviously that his departure would hurt IL's chance of landing his son.

I hope Chris gets this great fit/opportunity.

As for who Duke would replace him with, it seems obvious that they'd re-establish James as an Assistant Coach, as he just stepped aside to allow room for Capel to join the staff on the bench, but is still on staff.

I have no doubt Chris would jump at this chance, but Illinois has to want Chris, and as I said above, I find that unlikely. If Illinois is going to draw the interest that many seem to think it will, and draw the eye of guys like Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall, Collins resume just isn't in the ballpark. That's the problem with waiting for a job like Illinois rather than taking a more traditional approach and going after a CAA or MVC or A10 level job as a starting point. There are guys taking those jobs and succeeding, and you have to compete with them for jobs like Illinois.

While Illinois was one of Parker's leaders, I think most people -- even Illinois fans -- think that with Weber, he was likely to end up at Duke/UW/UK. What will be interesting is to see how the hire changes that calculus. His HS coach is lobbying for a college opportunity, and Illinois will have a staff to fill. Further, there's going to be some incentive for the new coach to keep Jerrance Howard on the Illinois staff. He's Illinois' best recruiter, and has been involved with the pursuit of Jabari.

BD80
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
If only Chris had a track record of recruiting success within the state. ...

Somewhat ironic that an event that greatly eroded Weber's support (he couldn't even land a local player that his BROTHER coached in high school) could give Chris the upper hand as his replacement.

throatybeard
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
There's some debate about Illinois' stature as a program upthread. Let me tell you what guys on the radio like to say down here in Saint Louis, and Illinois dudes, respond if you would.

Bernie Miklasz and Michelle Smallman (UIUC alumna) have been talking about Weber and that job all week. Illinois has some footprint here, about 10K alumni in the metro I think I read in the paper once. I was flabbergasted when I got here to find that, if you go into a random bar on Saturday in the fall, and there's one TV over the bar, it's as likely to be tuned to a Big Ten game as it is a Big XII game (not involving Mizzou). The Metro-East weighs in at about 700K people. At the very least, I think it's accurate to say we're in a border region between the footprints of the two conferences. (It'll be interesting to see how things change when Mizzou goes to the SEC). But still, there are way more Mizzou people here. The radio honks talk about Mizzou quite a bit, but have rarely discussed other schools in the Big XII, except with regard to the ongoing story about the potential collapse of the conference. I sort of think Mizzou's relationship to the SEC will be similar, like in a Neptune orbit. I have trouble believing Miklasz or Farr or Duncan or the other sports radio personalities will be talking excitedly about the Cocktail Party the Monday morning after. They'll be talking about what's wrong with the Rams, what's right with the Blues, or who the Cardinals are going to sign in free agency. Oh yeah and Mizzou played Vandy too.

Missouri and Illinois have a notional rivalry, but it's pretty weak sauce intensity-wise. Mizzou has dominated in football, but the football series is intermittent and there are no games scheduled currently AIUI. Even the name for the football series is contrived, the State Farm Arch Rivalry. Haha, "arch," that's so funny I just peed myself. Not. The basketball series seems more organic and serious, played more-or-less yearly, (there was a one-year break) with Illinois dominating, 20-11, though Mizzou has finally come around to win three straight. Mizzou people care a zillion times more about Kansas, and I assume Illinois folks are more into their Big Ten rivals.

So I'm not really a Mizzou fan and I didn't grow up here, but I've gathered the book on Illinois around here, perception-wise, is as follows. In both football and basketball, it's a good job, but it's not as good as you might think because the demographics are deceptive. What people down here like to say, but I've heard Miklasz say it the most, is that Illinois is really three states, Chicago-Rockford, Southern Illinois, and then a Central Illinois the boundaries of which are debated, but I-80 and I-70 are tossed around a lot. Southern Illinois had a history of Confederate sympathy, and people there have an abiding antipathy towards Springfield, where they feel their concerns are ignored, and towards Chicago, which is viewed as a big nasty corrupt city. And once you get outside the Metro-East, there's only maybe another half million people in Southern Illinois. It's not all that populous. People follow the Cardinals, rather than the Cubs or White Sox.

Chicago presents a different problem, which is that it's a pro sports town and hugely diverse. Sure, there are a lot of Illinois fans there, but so too Notre Dame and a bunch of Big Ten schools. Chicago is the capital of the Midwest. So what I've heard--I don't know how accurate this is--is that Chicago presents Illinois fewer recruiting advantages than the sports public supposes it ought.

So the basic story you hear down here is that, while it's unquestionably the flagship, and the school with the most fans in a state with 12M people, Illinois is sort of the University of Central Illinois when it comes to natural recruiting advantages.

As such, the sports blather guys around here regard Illinois as a good job that sounds great but is only good. Everybody and their dog recruits Chicago HS basketball.

The basketball program is pretty darn good, five final fours, ten sweet sixteens, although no national championships, quite a few Big Ten titles. 1600 and some wins, good for about 13th all-time. It feels like it should be in the next rung below UCLA-UK-KU-Duke-Carolina-Indiana; indeed, the win total is very close to IU and the win percentage is better. But it's probably not as easy to win there as everyone thinks it should be. Football's tougher. The win percentage is about 52%. Three conference championships since 1963. You say, dang, there's 12M people in that state. But it's been a tough conference and it just got tougher with the addition of Nebraska.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off base here.

I should add, UIUC is an incredible research university.

Oh, PS. Ms Smallman says the fan buzz is all about Shaka Smart. Collins' name barely comes up. Us Duke folk have a way of making it all about ourselves.

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM

So I'm not really a Mizzou fan and I didn't grow up here, but I've gathered the book on Illinois around here, perception-wise, is as follows. In both football and basketball, it's a good job, but it's not as good as you might think because the demographics are deceptive. What people down here like to say, but I've heard Miklasz say it the most, is that Illinois is really three states, Chicago-Rockford, Southern Illinois, and then a Central Illinois the boundaries of which are debated, but I-80 and I-70 are tossed around a lot. Southern Illinois had a history of Confederate sympathy, and people there have an abiding antipathy towards Springfield, where they feel their concerns are ignored, and towards Chicago, which is viewed as a big nasty corrupt city. And once you get outside the Metro-East, there's only maybe another half million people in Southern Illinois. It's not all that populous. People follow the Cardinals, rather than the Cubs or White Sox.

There's no question there is a weird cultural dynamic in Illinois with Chicago, the collar counties, Western and Central Illinois and Southern Illinois all being very unique and different groups and cultures. My dad graduated from HS in Centralia and grew up in Anna, Tamms and Cairo, and that side of my famiily is more southern than most here would believe. My mom's family is from the Quad Cities, and I grew up outside the QC. I lived in Chicago and now live in the Northern Burbs, and all are their own unique places.

Illinois isn't alone in having a odd mix of cultures, and other states flagship universities seem to be a better draw in those states, but those universities have usually built that draw through better sustained success than Illinois has been able to have in basketball (or football). There have been moments where Illinois captured the state (and even the nation) with the Flyin Illini of 1989 or with the 2005 team that lost to UNC, but they've never been able to sustain that success to capture the state. Couple that with an utterly backwards and inadequate media strategy -- when I was growing up, I couldn't get regional broadcasts of Illinois football and basketball in the Quad Cities; Illinois sports are on a small, ultra conservative radio station in Chicago, having pulled the broadcasts from the biggest all-sports station in the region -- and you have a program that's done nothing to take advantage of the potential it has.

That's where there's a disconnect in perception I think. Illinois potential is somewhere near where Seth Davis places it -- in the Top 10 I'd say. But where it is as a program is below that -- maybe as high as 15, no lower than 25 -- because it's never come close to sustaining that potential.

Things have changed though, with the Big 10 Network increasing exposure and a new AD bringing Illinois' media strategy into the 21st Century. And now the AD's replacing a coach who resonated with the Central Illinois aspect of Illinois, but not much of the rest of the state, and that replacement, hopefully, will be someone who can present a product that can capture the state's attention and interest for more than a brief moment, and begin realizing some of the vast potential Illinois has as a basketball program.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I think of Illinois as two states, not three. If it's three, it's broken up more into Chicago/suburban Chicago/rural.

Anyway, no school owns the college sports market in the Chicago area. It's not just a melting pot for the B1g Ten, but fans from ND, Marquette, Mizzou, Kentucky and so on have a presence. Now this does create a void, and you'd think it's possible for some program to claim the high ground. There's even room for two programs, as there is with baseball and even the nfl with a sizeable contingency of Packers fans.

But the problems are that most people who care are already aligned with some other program (because they or family members went or grew up somewhere else), and that UofI isn't located in the Chicago area at all. They're not DePaul, not that DePaul is DePaul anymore either.

Chris should have no problem recruiting in the nicer suburbs, after all he does it already, but I'm less sure about the city and more urban areas.

TexHawk
03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
If only Chris had a track record of recruiting success within the state. ...

Somewhat ironic that an event that greatly eroded Weber's support (he couldn't even land a local player that his BROTHER coached in high school) could give Chris the upper hand as his replacement.

That's greatly over-played. The Scheyer recruitment did not hurt Weber's support much, really not at all. Most fans were still in a coma after the Championship game run and the Dee Brown years. Nobody really cared that much about Scheyer, especially since Eric Gordon was set to come in a year later.

Let me clarify about Chicago recruiting. Illinois does not need someone to "lock down Chicago". They just need someone who's competent enough to get a good player out of there every once in a while. There is plenty of D1 talent heading out of state. If they could pick off 10-20% of those, they'd be able to compete for Big10 titles every season.

Blue KevIL
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Throaty:

I would concur with almost everything you posted.

The one exception being that Chicago and Rockford don't really have much to do with one another. I have lived in the Chicagoland area for 39 years and the perception I have always been aware of is that the state of Illinois is really two states: Chicago and its neighboring counties (Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will) and then you have the other 98 counties.

As far as Mizzou goes, I thought that they would have been a better fit in the Big Ten rather than the SEC. They seemed to be practically begging the Big Ten for an invite. The Arch-Rivalry is a bigger deal for basketball than football at Illinois -- probably because we couldn't win in football. The fact that Weber lost the last three years did not go un-noticed. The most natural rival for the Illini is Northwestern and that rivalry is not as heated as Mizzou. The other Big Ten rivalries seem to rotate -- no one school is consistently a heated rival for Illinois.

I would agree that Chicago is not necessarily the recruiting advantage everyone makes it out to be. Tom Crean had no trouble getting Dwyane Wade out of the south suburbs to go to Marquette. Thad Matta went to the west suburbs and got Evan Turner. The list goes on and on...

However, if there ever was a time & opportunity for that to change, it was immediately after the 2005 Runner-Up finish. That team was revered in Chicago and throughout the state. Around Chicago, any kid growing up 8 years ago playing basketball wanted to play for the Illini. The lack of consistent success extinguished any hope Weber & U of I had of "closing the borders". The same goes for football on the heels of a Rose Bowl appearance.

I think the Illinois jobs for football & basketball are good & very good, respectively. They both have the opportunities to be GREAT jobs.
It depends on the coach and what the coach can make of it. All-time Illinois Football is 563–513–51 (.522) -- this should be better. All-time Illinois Basketball is 1667-897 (.650) and holds winning records against all Big Ten schools except Indiana (83-84) and Purdue (84-95) -- the NCAA Tournament performances have not been to the level that Illinois is capable.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
All-time Illinois Basketball is 1667-897 (.650) and holds winning records against all Big Ten schools except Indiana (83-84) and Purdue (84-95) -- the NCAA Tournament performances have not been to the level that Illinois is capable.

Dicky Beal traveled.

Blue KevIL
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Dicky Beal traveled.

HE DID! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG-KN_fILYo

TexHawk
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
As far as Mizzou goes, I thought that they would have been a better fit in the Big Ten rather than the SEC. They seemed to be practically begging the Big Ten for an invite.

Practically? Missouri has been begging for a Big10 invite for years. They have not been quiet about this. They are just exceedingly mediocre in basketball and football, and Jim Delaney has some standards. The Big10 looked at them, saw a much much more attractive Nebraska, and took them instead. Missouri would leave the SEC in a second if the Big10 offered them a spot.

You can easily make the argument that their begging had a big hand in starting this whole realignment mess.

NashvilleDevil
03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
The Big10 looked at them, saw a much much more attractive Nebraska,

Word out of Lincoln is Doc Sadler has been fired as coach at Nebraska. If Collins needs to get head coaching experience why not go to a school that is opening a new basketball facility and is the 5th most important sport behind football, spring football, volleyball and Creighton basketball. There will be zero pressure on him to succeed. If he just leads the Huskers to one tournament win he would be the greatest coach in Nebraska history surpassing the amazing run by Danny Nee.

burnspbesq
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Andy Katz says:

"Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, who played at Glenbrook North High in Illinois, is also on a possible short list, although he would likely make more sense for Northwestern if that job comes open."

Not sure why anyone would think the Northwestern job would come open. Carmody is completely entrenched, and has the absolute support of the administration.

WVDUKEFAN
03-09-2012, 04:29 PM

I'd love to see it. Don't put me in the penalty box for this, but I would take Ol' Roy any day of the week over Calhoun - he's just beyond what I can describe with words.

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Andy Katz says:

"Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, who played at Glenbrook North High in Illinois, is also on a possible short list, although he would likely make more sense for Northwestern if that job comes open."

Not sure why anyone would think the Northwestern job would come open. Carmody is completely entrenched, and has the absolute support of the administration.

Not sure that's the case Burnsy. There's been talk all year that Carmody needed a bid to feel safe, and the drumbeat's gotten louder with the repeated failures of the team in close games down the stretch. Media alums haven't exactly been kind to Carmody the last 24 hours either. I think if NW felt like it could get the right guy to take the next step from where Carmody is, they'd jump. Now I don't know if they can get that guy, or if CC was that guy.

I also don't know if NW's position on admissions has changed since Tommy interviewed there. NW's rather strict stance on admissions turned Tommy off to that job, and I suspect would be an impediment to Chris if they haven't changed.

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I also don't know if NW's position on admissions has changed since Tommy interviewed there. NW's rather strict stance on admissions turned Tommy off to that job, and I suspect would be an impediment to Chris if they haven't changed.
But he was ok with Harvard's admissions? Very odd. Not in anyway saying that you are wrong, I just hadn't heard that before, so in hindsight that's a big "hmmm" moment.

DukieTiger
03-09-2012, 07:35 PM
But he was ok with Harvard's admissions? Very odd. Not in anyway saying that you are wrong, I just hadn't heard that before, so in hindsight that's a big "hmmm" moment.

Northwestern's admissions relative to the rest of its conference, I would guess, is much more strict than Harvard's admissions relative to the Ivy League. Don't know if that was his perspective, but I could see it from that angle.

Chicago 1995
03-09-2012, 11:07 PM

First, there's a big difference in the jobs and the rules by which your competition is playing. Harvard's on a level playing field with the other Ivies. NW isn't with the rest of the Big Ten.

Also. Tommy was in a different place when he interviewed at NW (it would have been his first job) and when he went to Harvard (having been let go at Michigan.

I've heard the same story about Tommy's issues with the NW admissions office keeping him from taking that job from two different sources, one Duke, one NW. I feel like its really strong info

Son of Jarhead
03-10-2012, 12:36 AM

Haha touche. What I meant to is that it was the only time I saw the Crazies "enthusiastically" clap for a player on the other team, much like we would for our own. And there's no doubt he deserved it

Don't forget us upstairs, we can actually sit if need be, so it is possible for us to stand for an ovation, and trust me, there are plenty of Crazies above the rail, too.

Another example of the Crazies giving a round of applause to an opponent was Bryant Stith of UVA. K took the mike after his last game at CIS and encouraged the crowd to honor him with an ovation. A fine example of class, too, for that matter.

-bdbd
03-10-2012, 01:01 AM

Actually, Harvard had long impossed even more restrictive admissions standards on BB players than the rest of the Ivy League. Supposedly one of the things that helped Tommy decide to go with Harvard was the Admissions office being willing to relent and, while still at the always tough Ivy level (e.g. no scholarships, etc) Harvard no longer faces tougher standards than the rest of the Ivies, supposedly. Ironically, then, the former Harvard coaches, still angry over being let go, were used as sources the following season in a NYT article (or maybe a series?) on how Harvard was lowering its admissions standards in order to improve their BB fortunes. It set a deceptive tone, making it appear that mighty Harvard had caved at the behest of a (corrupting) big-time new Head Coach and gone the way of the KY's, Syracuse's, and UNLV's of the world. It was eventually cleared up, but the bottom line is that Tommy is now operating on a level playing field with the rest of his league (and beating them handily). That would not have been the case at Northwestern, and may still be the situation there.

:rolleyes:

madscavenger
03-10-2012, 05:36 AM

If Calhoun is dragged kicking and screaming, something i'd pay big bucks to watch, off to the retirement village, he will be replaced with an
equally likeable fellow, Mr. Billy Donovan. Nothing like cloning the master.

COCO
03-10-2012, 06:26 AM
I can't help but think that a big selling point for Tommy at Harvard was the terrific job his wife got there. That also makes me think that it's going to be pretty hard to get Tommy out of Harvard.

MartyClark
03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
If Calhoun is dragged kicking and screaming, something i'd pay big bucks to watch, off to the retirement village, he will be replaced with an
equally likeable fellow, Mr. Billy Donovan. Nothing like cloning the master.

Donovan has a pretty good gig with the Gators. Why would he leave there for UCONN?

Devilsfan
03-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Here's hoping no ACC head coach is temporally unemployed. Shouldn't Capel be the first assistant coach to leave?

SupaDave
03-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Here's hoping no ACC head coach is temporally unemployed. Shouldn't Capel be the first assistant coach to leave?

Why? He just got here...

madscavenger
03-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Donovan has a pretty good gig with the Gators. Why would he leave there for UCONN?

Billy the kid doesn't have a dirty rep with lots of other coaches because he's so cute :rolleyes:, he learned at the feet of Mr "Who, me?" Did a little successful tinkering around and under the edges, so the smoke signals say. Jim's Lucifer, Billy's the Beast. Why UCONN, you ask - conntinuity!

dukedoc
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Well, Cal ain't going anywhere, unfortunately, but I couldn't find another appropriate place to link the Onion's "Strong Side / Weak Side" for Cal. Pretty funny, I think. LINK (http://www.theonion.com/articles/john-calipari,27596/?ref=nf)

CrazyNotCrazie
03-10-2012, 09:13 PM
As others have mentioned above, I think Collins and/or Wojo would be a lot better off letting the initial coaching dominoes fall then backfill, i.e. let Shaka Smart take the Illinois job then go for the VCU job. They are better off starting a bit lower down as head coaches rather than going for the big time. They have gotten great assistant experiences, but better to learn how to run your own program without such a bright spotlight.

gep
03-10-2012, 10:52 PM
As others have mentioned above, I think Collins and/or Wojo would be a lot better off letting the initial coaching dominoes fall then backfill, i.e. let Shaka Smart take the Illinois job then go for the VCU job. They are better off starting a bit lower down as head coaches rather than going for the big time. They have gotten great assistant experiences, but better to learn how to run your own program without such a bright spotlight.

This is interesting. VCU would be a good "starting" head coaching position. Or even Butler, if Brad Stevens leaves (but I doubt it). Let Shaka take the brunt of the "big time" problems... let our guys flourish, then move up.:cool:

DUKIE V(A)
03-11-2012, 07:35 AM
I am obviously in the minority here, but I believe that Chris Collins should stay put at Duke if he wants to get the Duke job when Coach K retires. I believe going elsewhere would decrease not increase his odds at landing the position. Plus, previous Head Coaching experience is over-rated (i.e., if you are good, you are good). I have no doubt that Coach Collins will be ready to take over when Coach K calls it quits.

Also, I believe that Coach Amaker will jump at the chance to coach a BCS college program if given an offer. I know he likes Harvard but have heard some say he has got the itch to get back to coaching at a program with more upside.

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2012, 08:41 AM
This is interesting. VCU would be a good "starting" head coaching position. Or even Butler, if Brad Stevens leaves (but I doubt it). Let Shaka take the brunt of the "big time" problems... let our guys flourish, then move up.:cool:
It worked pretty well for Jeff Capel. And for Smart. I wonder if VCU might step up and match offers so they don't start to feel as being that gateway to bigger jobs.

stixof96
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Collins has also been doing all of the half time interviews on television. Just sayin......

MCFinARL
03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
It worked pretty well for Jeff Capel. And for Smart. I wonder if VCU might step up and match offers so they don't start to feel as being that gateway to bigger jobs.

IIRC, Anthony Grant of Alabama was also the coach at VCU. It's been a pretty good gateway job, and now it's becoming a pretty high profile job in its own right.

tommy
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Collins has also been doing all of the half time interviews on television. Just sayin......

And has been for many years. Means zilch.

MCFinARL
03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
And has been for many years. Means zilch.

I agree--but I actually thought that was the point stixof96 was making, too. Maybe I misunderstood the post, though.

Jderf
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, Cal ain't going anywhere, unfortunately, but I couldn't find another appropriate place to link the Onion's "Strong Side / Weak Side" for Cal. Pretty funny, I think. LINK (http://www.theonion.com/articles/john-calipari,27596/?ref=nf)

Genius:

Makes a mockery of higher education by helping students find multimillion-dollar careers in their chosen profession.

shoutingncu
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Collins is going to have some competition out there. Maybe the two can go head-to-head for a job!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17767782/matt-doherty-out-at-southern-methodist

Doherty spent three forgettable seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, North Carolina, from 2000 to 2003.

I'm fairly sure I remember each.

PDDuke85
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.abcnews4.com/story/17146929/reports-uscs-horn-fired

Another opening

jimsumner
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
A long way down for the former national coach of the year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7681146/smu-mustangs-fire-matt-doherty-six-seasons

superdave
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Collins is going to have some competition out there. Maybe the two can go head-to-head for a job!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17767782/matt-doherty-out-at-southern-methodist

I'm fairly sure I remember each.

How could you forget 8-20?

I suppose Doherty might want to take an assistant job somewhere and lay a little lower. I doubt he'd be all that great on tv.

gus
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
A long way down for the former national coach of the year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7681146/smu-mustangs-fire-matt-doherty-six-seasons

I never really liked Doherty, but I have hard time feeling schadenfreude over him getting fired.

Unrelated, but I also have a hard time pronouncing schadenfreude after stumbingling onto this: Pronunciation of "schadenfreude" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_DjiLLDfo&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3F035A1CCD479509)

Mal
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Agree with the general points made by fellow Illinoisans below - there's a giant market not far from Champaign, but it's hard to capture and harder to keep. Just a couple points to add:

1. Being the capitol of the Midwest means that there are also a lot of of us who live here in Chicago who didn't actually go to a rival Big Ten School, but still grew up rooting for one. That applies for probably 2/3 of the Domer grads in Chicagoland, for instance. One of my most thrilling sporting events prior to age 17 was watching my local Big Ten team upset the then-No. 1 Flying Illini in 1989. Those secondary and tertiary loyalties don't change easily.

2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size. Their football team's recent success and the tantalizingly close but not quite seasons of the basketball team have only added to that. So, if the Illini aren't significantly better than the 'Cats, NW's getting almost equal print in the local papers even if they're only drawing 15,000 to home football games. They advertise around here as "Chicago's Big Ten Team." That hurts the perception of Illinois even more.

Consequently, for a demographic like mine, Illinois is literally the fourth choice. The two biggest sports fan acquaintances I have around here are a good friend who grew up in Iowa, went to Marquette and then Kellogg, and is a huge Cubs fan; and a brother-in-law who grew up following Ohio State and Cinci and then went to Notre Dame. These guys couldn't care less about the Illini programs. We live in the North suburbs and I lived in the City for a decade, and have been to multiple NW football and basketball games, mostly to see my home state team and Duke when they come to town. My 5 year-old son's been to both a Northwestern football and basketball game and has a purple football t-shirt and a giant foam wildcat paw, but unless he attends UofI, I can't imagine him ever going to an Illinois game. That's a totally different landscape than Detroit, where the Big House is half an hour away and East Lansing not much further, or Minneapolis, where there's only one collegiate game in town, or even Milwaukee, which is about the same distance from Madison as Chicago is from Champaign.

sagegrouse
03-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Another opening

The story deals with the firing of Darrin Horn at South Carolina. This USC often looks north of the border for its coaches (Odom, McGuire, Fogler(?)).

Here's a clip from the story. Please note the extreme timeliness of the Wikipedia update:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) -- At a live press conference Tuesday, Eric Hyman announced that USC Basketball Coach Darrin Horn was out of a job.

Several media outlets in the Palmetto State reported Horn's demise before it was official. Before the press conference even happened, Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, had updated its Darrin Horn entry with his firing.

sagegrouse

Matches
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
To: the media

I will pay you $100 to ask Roy if he gives a you-know-what about SMU.

CajunDevil
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Doherty was an assistant coach for my under-14 AAU team in Charlotte in the late 80's. Perhaps that gig is still open... :D

throatybeard
03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size.

By the red line, purple line, automobile, or helicopter? Last time I rode it it was like 55 minutes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
URI to talk to Danny Hurley. Wonder what it could mean for Bobby...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7682319/rhode-island-rams-get-permission-talk-wagner-seahawks-coach-dan-hurley

Bluedog
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size. Their football team's recent success and the tantalizingly close but not quite seasons of the basketball team have only added to that. So, if the Illini aren't significantly better than the 'Cats, NW's getting almost equal print in the local papers even if they're only drawing 15,000 to home football games. They advertise around here as "Chicago's Big Ten Team." That hurts the perception of Illinois even more.

The might advertise that, but in my experience, Chicagoans by and large couldn't care less about Northwestern. Yes, perhaps they get a mention in the local newscast or paper since they are close by, but that doesn't lead to a lot of interest. I find it somewhat hysterical that of the 20+ bars in the 4-block radius from me, there are ZERO Northwestern bars, yet 3 Iowa ones, 2 Illinois, 2 Michigan, 2 Wisconsin, MSU, OSU, and Penn State that I can think of. There was one, but I guess nobody showed up so it's no longer.

With pro sports being a much bigger deal in Chicago, hardly anybody (except alumni) care about Northwestern or DePaul for that matter. Duke/UNC definitely benefit by being the biggest ticket in town as there are no pro sports - that definitely helps. I would go to DePaul games if they weren't so far away (not on campus) and unnecessarily expensive...Not saying Northwestern is a bad job, but it definitely seems like UIUC gets more enthusiasm from Chicago simply because there are more alumni in the area.

By the red line, purple line, automobile, or helicopter? Last time I rode it it was like 55 minutes.

Metra is the fastest! Should have taken that. Probably 25 minutes from Northwestern to the loop, but only runs every hour or so....Purple line express probably take like 40 minutes. Car can range greatly. Helicopter would be a good idea though.

Mal
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes, perhaps they get a mention in the local newscast or paper since they are close by, but that doesn't lead to a lot of interest...Not saying Northwestern is a bad job, but it definitely seems like UIUC gets more enthusiasm from Chicago simply because there are more alumni in the area.

Understood - I'm just saying that if Northwestern were in Dekalb or Rockford instead of Evanston, it'd be different (they probably wouldn't be in the Big Ten, for one thing, but I guess that's part of the point). NU wouldn't get any attention or interest, outside of its relative to a state school's small alumni base, in that situation. And I wouldn't be making a spontaneous Saturday morning decision to take my kids to a Big Ten football game. Obviously, NU would also be hurt if UofI were in Naperville instead of over half way to St. Louis. And you're probably right that this being a pro sports town likely hurts the Illini as much as anything. Even if they were in Naperville, they'd still be second fiddle by a long shot to the Bears.

Throaty - I overstated a touch. Metra from Ogilvie to Evanston Central (just a few blocks from the stadium) is 26 minutes of comfortable paper reading and bagel eating on a mostly empty train on a Saturday morning. Alternatively, driving from the Loop to campus via Lakeshore Drive and then Sheridan can be done in 24 minutes in good conditions. Usually, Saturday at 10:00-11:00 A.M. is wide open. You can generally park for free no more than six blocks from the stadium. It really is an unappreciated experience - I don't think people around here fully recognize how unique it is to have the ability to go see a major conference team (now consistently a bowl team, in fact) take on Michigan or Wisconsin in a shockingly inexpensive, incredibly low stress, no traffic environment, and be home less than an hour after the game ends. There are very few BCS schools in the first ring of suburbs of one of the country's largest cities.

lotusland
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Another opening

The Gamecock faithful want Marshall but, after snubbing NCSU last year, he may have higher aspirations. Marshall was apparantly interested befoer when Odom was hired and has roots in the area. The front page article is correct about his "diplomacy issues". He's well know to be arrogant and surley to media and his academic colleagues. Nothing but love from the players though and his teams play very hard and very tough defense and respect him. In short he's a good coach but not an especially likeable guy.

throatybeard
03-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Rick Stansbury is "retiring," or so half the state of Mississippi tells me on FaceBook.

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Will the Knicks knock on Calipari's door?

superdave
03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
RE: the Collins interested in the Illinois job post on the front page. Collins would be a good fit for that position.

But could you imagine him bringing Scheyer along? The head coach and the assistant cannot both be hometown boys who spurned the school for Duke. Does not work with any fanbase.

superdave
03-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Shaka is the top target for Illinois. (http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7711394/illinois-fighting-illini-targeting-vcu-rams-coach-shaka-smart-according-source)

Looks like Bruce Weber is interviewing for his old job too.

Regarding Shaka, he either wants to stay at VCU forever (unlikely) or he will be very, very interested in this job. Illinois, Texas, SoCal and Maryland are traditionally known as great potential programs that have never reached the heights they should have. If Shaka turns this down, my guess is he's holding out for an even better program in the next two years. But what better jobs are there out there? There's always rumours of Donovan leaving Florida and there's been talk of Calipari to the Knicks. I do not think Shaka would get tons of consideration at Duke or Unc in the next few years. UCLA is a possibility if they have another really bad year. Kansas is wrapped up. Matta and Izzo are not leaving. So Illinois makes a whole lot of sense for Shaka unless he knows something is up with Calipari or Donovan, in my opinion.

burnspbesq
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Bobby Cremins' retirement opens up another position that looks like a great first head coaching gig for Collins or Wojo.

jv001
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Shaka is the top target for Illinois. (http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7711394/illinois-fighting-illini-targeting-vcu-rams-coach-shaka-smart-according-source)

Regarding Shaka, he either wants to stay at VCU forever (unlikely) or he will be very, very interested in this job. Illinois, Texas, SoCal and Maryland are traditionally known as great potential programs that have never reached the heights they should have. If Shaka turns this down, my guess is he's holding out for an even better program in the next two years. But what better jobs are there out there? There's always rumours of Donovan leaving Florida and there's been talk of Calipari to the Knicks. I do not think Shaka would get tons of consideration at Duke or Unc in the next few years. UCLA is a possibility if they have another really bad year. Kansas is wrapped up. Matta and Izzo are not leaving. So Illinois makes a whole lot of sense for Shaka unless he knows something is up with Calipari or Donovan, in my opinion.

I hope you would be wrong about his not being at least considered for the Duke job once Coach K steps down. I love Shaka's fire and his ability to recruit players that play hard for him. GoDuke!

superdave
03-20-2012, 01:24 PM
I hope you would be wrong about his not being at least considered for the Duke job once Coach K steps down. I love Shaka's fire and his ability to recruit players that play hard for him. GoDuke!

Well, Coach K has said a few times that Dawkins deserves a shot and is his preference. So I am assuming that has not changed. Dawkins seems to have improved a little the past few years. Next year is year 5 for him at Stanford. I'd say we'll have a good idea of his prowess by the end of year 6. The next two years should be telling since he'll have an all-Dawkins recruited roster to work with.

tommy
03-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Wagner coach Dan Hurley has accepted the job at Rhode Island. Now the question is whether brother Bobby, on his staff at Wagner, will move with him to Rhode Island, or whether he'll get the top job himself at Wagner. I won't be surprised if it's the latter. Hope so -- let the tree groweth!

tbyers11
03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Wagner coach Dan Hurley has accepted the job at Rhode Island. Now the question is whether brother Bobby, on his staff at Wagner, will move with him to Rhode Island, or whether he'll get the top job himself at Wagner. I won't be surprised if it's the latter. Hope so -- let the tree groweth!

Jeff Goodman, who is usually pretty knowledgeable in these matters, thinks that Bobby is going with Danny to URI

http://twitter.com/#!/GoodmanCBS/status/182145731593904128

CrazyNotCrazie
03-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I thought I had read that Danny Hurley took the Wagner job over other jobs because he didn't want to uproot his family from their home in NJ. Rhode Island is a pretty long commute - I guess life changes. Rhode Island is definitely a step up from Wagner, but I'm not sure if it is that much incrementally better that it is worth leaving Wagner after only 2 years.

loran16
03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought I had read that Danny Hurley took the Wagner job over other jobs because he didn't want to uproot his family from their home in NJ. Rhode Island is a pretty long commute - I guess life changes. Rhode Island is definitely a step up from Wagner, but I'm not sure if it is that much incrementally better that it is worth leaving Wagner after only 2 years.

It's a substantial step up - Rhode Island is A-10 which is on the mid-major/high-major border (3 At large A-10 teams this year, whereas the NEC won't even get an at large into the NIT).

That said, I wish he stayed and I hope Bobby stays to coach Wagner. I understand that the mid-major life is one where the low-majors are clear stepping stone, but they didn't even get a tournament bid, and they had some nice recruits coming in next year (including a 3 star who'd committed to MSU).

superdave
03-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein

Sources confirm that unless something drastic changes in the next 24 hours, Shaka Smart will stay at VCU.....

BD80
03-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein

Sources confirm that unless something drastic changes in the next 24 hours, Shaka Smart will stay at VCU.....

Is that Smart of Shaka?

cspan37421
03-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Is that Smart of Shaka?

Hard to tell, but Shaka Khan coach.

Thanks - I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

CameronBornAndBred
03-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Is that Smart of Shaka?

I think it is. All great problems have to start somewhere, and honestly VCU's been building a good one since Jeff Capel Sr's days. Smart has his stamp on the program and if he sends the signal that he's there for a while longer, he's going to get some big name recruits saying yes.

tommy
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Well, Coach K has said a few times that Dawkins deserves a shot and is his preference. So I am assuming that has not changed. Dawkins seems to have improved a little the past few years. Next year is year 5 for him at Stanford. I'd say we'll have a good idea of his prowess by the end of year 6. The next two years should be telling since he'll have an all-Dawkins recruited roster to work with.

When did K ever say that Dawkins was his preference?

superdave
03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
When did K ever say that Dawkins was his preference?

Two or three times within the past 5-6 years. There are some old threads discussing this with some links. It's a common off-season topic.

tommy
03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Two or three times within the past 5-6 years. There are some old threads discussing this with some links. It's a common off-season topic.

I don't know about that. I think the reason this is a common off-season topic is precisely because K has NOT made his preference clear. If he had, then there's a lot less to discuss, as most assume that if K wants to handpick his successor, he has earned the right to do so, and indeed will do so. I'd look forward to seeing what those links you know of are precisely, or if anyone else recalls anything like that.

DevilWearsPrada
03-20-2012, 11:19 PM
URI to talk to Danny Hurley. Wonder what it could mean for Bobby...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7682319/rhode-island-rams-get-permission-talk-wagner-seahawks-coach-dan-hurley

If Coach Chris Collins takes a Head Coach position somewhere, I was hoping that Bobby Hurley would be in contention for an assistant coaching job at Duke. Bobby is one of the best Point Guards to ever wear a Duke uniform. The Hurleys have a pedigree for coaching basketball and have a great attitude also.

throatybeard
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM

It's a common biweekly topic.

superdave
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Looks like the Illini are looking at Johnny Dawkins now. DBR links a tweet on the front page, which is not exactly a full on article. The others are Anthony Grant at 'Bama and Shaka at VCU. I wonder if this means the Collins possibility is a long shot. I'm assuming this will play out within the next week or so.

If I were Dawkins, I would try to finish what I started at Stanford. He's on the cusp of restoring the program to what it was in the 1990s, if he can continue to get quality recruits.

Chicago 1995
03-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Illinois is still chasing Shaka Smart, and allegedly has increased its offer to close to $3M annually with incentives.

We'll see if that's enough to land Shaka. It would seem as though it would be.

luvdahops
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks like the Illini are looking at Johnny Dawkins now. DBR links a tweet on the front page, which is not exactly a full on article. The others are Anthony Grant at 'Bama and Shaka at VCU. I wonder if this means the Collins possibility is a long shot. I'm assuming this will play out within the next week or so.

If I were Dawkins, I would try to finish what I started at Stanford. He's on the cusp of restoring the program to what it was in the 1990s, if he can continue to get quality recruits.

Linking a couple of columns from this morning's Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0321-illinois-basketball--20120321,0,7149067.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0321-haugh-college-basketball-chicago--20120321,0,15625.column

Lists the backup choices to Smart as Grant, Lorenzo Romar of U-Dub and Leonard Hamilton, who apparently has benn "lobbying hard for the job". No mention of Johnny D. Also clarifies that Robert Smith, Jabari Parker's HS coach, is not being considered for the head coaching job, but rather as an assistant who can be a high impact recruiter in metro Chicago, which is critical to the program's success.

superdave
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Linking a couple of columns from this morning's Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0321-illinois-basketball--20120321,0,7149067.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0321-haugh-college-basketball-chicago--20120321,0,15625.column

Lists the backup choices to Smart as Grant, Lorenzo Romar of U-Dub and Leonard Hamilton, who apparently has benn "lobbying hard for the job". No mention of Johnny D. Also clarifies that Robert Smith, Jabari Parker's HS coach, is not being considered for the head coaching job, but rather as an assistant who can be a high impact recruiter in metro Chicago, which is critical to the program's success.

Wow. Did not see this coming:

"Florida State's Leonard Hamilton is lobbying hard for the job, sources added."

He's really built something at FSU. I guess he struggles enough on the recruiting trail and with the Duke/Unc dominance that he'd consider moving on. That's a shame, really.

luvdahops
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM

He's really built something at FSU. I guess he struggles enough on the recruiting trail and with the Duke/Unc dominance that he'd consider moving on. That's a shame, really.

Didn't see it coming either. Perhaps he has a sense that he won't be able to accomplish much more at FSU and/or that his stock will never be higher than it is now.

tbyers11
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Hamilton has built something at FSU. But this was his year to make a big splash. 6 of his 9 rotation players (Dulkys, James, Kreft, Loucks, Gibson and Peterson) are seniors. According to Scout they have 4 recruits committed for next year, but no big impact players. Robert Gilchrist is a 6-9 juco center but the other three recruits are guards and Montay Brandon is the only one in the RSCI top 100 at #78. Snaer, Miller and White are very good players and Terence Shannon (injury redshirt) has to potential to be a good interior player, but they are going to be much smaller and more perimeter-oriented next year.

Basically, Hamilton would have to rebuild at FSU again next year and it seems like he would rather be at Illinois than do that.

Jderf
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Basically, Hamilton would have to rebuild at FSU again next year and it seems like he would rather be at Illinois than do that.

Or, to be more accurate, he would rather "do that" at Illinois.

Cameron
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Well, depending on what a certain coach -- we'll just call him Boa Constrictor -- does this off-season, there could be a rather intriguing opportunity opening up in the village of Storrs. And, since that certain coach would certainly seem to be on the final leg of his race and has an associate head coach that was born before Hitler invaded Poland, I think there is good reason to speculate that the university in Storrs will at least look outside of the program for its next caretaker.

As soon as the postseason ban expires and the fallout from that passes, that school would present an ideal situation for an elite young coach like Smart. A basketball-first powerhouse with multiple national championships, Big East, allure for recruits of playing in MSG several times per year, new facilities are on the way. The big drawback would be that the village of Storrs itself is virtually a ghost town. The biggest attraction around is beer. Boa Constrictor must be a downright nasty good recruiter. On the brightside, however, after Hurricane Katrina, Storrs was voted "America's Best Place to Live to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster." I would have guessed the middle of Indiana. Who knew?

TexHawk
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, depending on what a certain coach -- we'll just call him Boa Constrictor -- does this off-season, there could be a rather intriguing opportunity opening up in the village of Storrs. And, since that certain coach would certainly seem to be on the final leg of his race and has an associate head coach that was born before Hitler invaded Poland, I think there is good reason to speculate that the university in Storrs will at least look outside of the program for its next caretaker.

As soon as the postseason ban expires and the fallout from that passes, that school would present an ideal situation for an elite young coach like Smart. A basketball-first powerhouse with multiple national championships, Big East, allure for recruits of playing in MSG several times per year, new facilities are on the way. The big drawback would be that the village of Storrs itself is virtually a ghost town. The biggest attraction around is beer. Boa Constrictor must be a downright nasty good recruiter. On the brightside, however, after Hurricane Katrina, Storrs was voted "America's Best Place to Live to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster." I would have guessed the middle of Indiana. Who knew?

From what I've seen, it's widely-assumed that Kevin Ollie will take over at UCONN when Calhoun leaves. There won't even be a search.

Duvall
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
From what I've seen, it's widely-assumed that Kevin Ollie will take over at UCONN when Calhoun leaves. There won't even be a search.

That certainly appears to be Calhoun's plan. Wouldn't shock me if the university turned out to have a different one, though.

Smart can probably do better than UConn.

Cameron
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I have heard this, too, but, even as a former Husky, Ollie has only been coaching as an assistant for three years. Just doesn't add up to me. And he was around during the more "dark period" of NCAA violation activity for the program. I would think the school would want a fresh start with a proven head coach. Guess not.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
That certainly appears to be Calhoun's plan. Wouldn't shock me if the university turned out to have a different one, though.

Smart can probably do better than UConn.
They could look at Geno.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Shaka Smart has spurned Illinois.

Shaka Smart has told Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas he’s not interested in becoming the Illini’s next basketball coach, multiple sources told the Sun-Times on Wednesday.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/11442761-419/shaka-smart-turns-down-illinois-coaching-offer.html (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/11442761-419/shaka-smart-turns-down-illinois-coaching-offer.html)

That article also offers a brief insight into Leonard Hamilton's chances.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
In the ESPN article discussing Smart's decision, Illinois AD Mike Thomas gives the following quote..

Illinois is one of three Big Ten schools never to have a minority football or men's basketball head coach, and Thomas recently talked about the importance of diversity in this hire.
"For me as it falls under my job description, it's really about hiring the best basketball coach," Thomas said March 9 on "Chicago's Gamenight" on ESPN 1000. "But in saying that, it's also my job to make sure we have a quality pool and a diversified pool. We gotta have some diversity.

He does ultimately say that he must hire the best coach for the job, but it sounds like he's really pushing for a minority so that could very well hurt Chris Collins' chances. I admire the quest for minority coaches, and it sounds like Illinois is one of those schools that stands out for not ever having one, so it makes sense.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7718478/vcu-coach-shaka-smart-reportedly-turns-illinois

superdave
03-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Chris Collins could be interested in the Northwestern job (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-nus-carmody-delay-leads-to-collins-talk-20120321,0,4886213.story), should their coach decide to resign.

miramar
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Didn't see it coming either. Perhaps he has a sense that he won't be able to accomplish much more at FSU and/or that his stock will never be higher than it is now.

The ACC has been down a bit but with new coaches things will only get more difficult.

Anyone with his record at two different schools, not to mention a traditionally high graduation rate, deserves a serious look.

devildeac
03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
They could look at Geno.

I'd be happy to:

Oops, sorry. You said Geno.:o

BD80
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Hamilton has built something at FSU. But this was his year to make a big splash. 6 of his 9 rotation players (Dulkys, James, Kreft, Loucks, Gibson and Peterson) are seniors. ...

James qualifies for his pension, right?

... On the brightside, however, after Hurricane Katrina, Storrs was voted "America's Best Place to Live to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster." I would have guessed the middle of Indiana. Who knew?

Not many tornados have hit Storrs. But I keep wishing.

SCMatt33
03-21-2012, 09:30 PM
I'd be happy to:

Oops, sorry. You said Geno.:o

Maybe if they're not looking for Geena, they could go to her coach, Tom Hanks. Illinois could use his coaching. There's no crying in college basketball.

Seriously though, there are a lot of mid major coaches the past few years who have passed up on decent offers. The best jobs that are likely to open up within a couple of years are Syracuse and UConn, both of which seem to favor in house succession. I think they've seen that there are stable jobs available for good money, and mid majors are more regularly winning games in the second weekend of the tourney. Ten years ago, if you were a small school with a double digit seed, you were hot stuff for making a sweet 16 and could immediately parlay that into a major conference job which was you're best chance at going even farther. With the runs that mid majors are making now, combined with the many cautionary tales of taking major conference jobs with less than desirable circumstances, has led to coaches who truly seem to be content to build their programs. I have no doubt that these guys would jump for a school in a great situation, but those kinds of openings don't come around every day.

Indoor66
03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Not to attempt a thread hijack, but could someone please point out the instances of in-house succession of coaches that was highly successful? I can't think of any. Please limit to major programs.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Not to attempt a thread hijack, but could someone please point out the instances of in-house succession of coaches that was highly successful? I can't think of any. Please limit to major programs.
Good question. Off the top of my head I would say Deano to Guthridge, although Gut never stayed around long enough to really make a solid determination. In two of his three years, the heels went to the Final Four twice and he was named COY in '98. If Duke and K's successor does that after K leaves, I don't think you will find anyone on this board complaining. (too much.)

sagegrouse
03-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Izzo -- From Wikipedia --Early coaching career

After graduating from Northern Michigan, Izzo was head coach at Ishpeming High School for one season. He then took an assistant coaching job at Northern Michigan University from 1979 to 1983. Izzo was then named a part-time assistant at Michigan State in September 1983. After a short two month stay in 1986 as an assistant coach at University of Tulsa, Izzo returned to Michigan State when assistant Mike Deane left to become head coach at Siena College. Prior to the 1990–91 season, then-current coach Jud Heathcote elevated Izzo to associate head coach. After Heathcote's retirement following the 1994-95 season and upon both his and the Michigan State Athletic Director's recommendation, Izzo was named the new head coach of men's basketball for MSU.

In the old days it was very common -- Dean, Carnesecca, Joe B. Hall.

sage

JG Nothing
03-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Good question. Off the top of my head I would say Deano to Guthridge, although Gut never stayed around long enough to really make a solid determination. In two of his three years, the heels went to the Final Four twice and he was named COY in '98. If Duke and K's successor does that after K leaves, I don't think you will find anyone on this board complaining. (too much.)

Problem with Guthridge was his recruiting or lack thereof.

superdave
03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Chris Collins could be interested in the Northwestern job (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-nus-carmody-delay-leads-to-collins-talk-20120321,0,4886213.story), should their coach decide to resign.

Carmody is staying put at Northwestern. (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17967055/carmody-to-remain-as-northwestern-coach)

JG Nothing
03-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Does Butler count?

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Problem with Guthridge was his recruiting or lack thereof.
As I stated, if we have the "problem" of going to 2 FF's immediately after K's departure, I'll be thrilled. But I agree to an extent with you, which is why I also stated that Gut wasn't there long enough to make a good determination. Still, people will always say that he could not fail with the talent he had. I'll point to Roy's joyful year in 2010. He also had the talent, but did a crappy job coaching and failed that year. You still have to be able to coach well to succeed.

Mal
03-22-2012, 12:52 PM
I think they've seen that there are stable jobs available for good money, and mid majors are more regularly winning games in the second weekend of the tourney.

I think you've hit the biggest factors here. There is an increased ability to make it past the Sweet 16 at a midmajor nowadays, with the one-and-dones and general demographic boom leading to more talent out there looking for colleges at which to play. But when you combine that with some trickle down of the oodles of money coming into NCAA basketball, you've now got plenty of guys at non-BCS schools making over a million dollars a year. Shaka could eventually ask for more at VCU if he continues with this level of success, hang around for 20 years and retire having collected $30+ million while playing with lower than BCS expectations on a campus where he's the king and would likely never be fired. The basketball programs at Butler, VCU, Davidson and others are the only ones generating any profit for the athletic departments, so they're plenty willing to at least be somewhat competitive in coach salary.

Yes, $1.25M is only half of $2.5M. But with the pressure to succeed immediately, and be a perennial contender in a conference with 6 programs in better condition than Illinois' right now, and the difficulty in going back to safer confines after cashing in for a couple years in the big leagues and 80% chance you can't satisfy the Illini faithful (Shaka need look no further than to his former boss for an example)? I can see the 2x factor not mattering all that much - $1,250,000 per year to coach college basketball is a boatload of money.

dpslaw
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Anyone with his record at two different schools, not to mention a traditionally high graduation rate, deserves a serious look.

High graduation rates? If the new academic standards were in effect this year, FSU would not have qualified for post-season play.

BD80
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Purdue: Keady to Painter, planned before Keady retirement.

Pitt: Howland to Dixon, not planned but very successful --- until this past season.

throatybeard
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
In football, late 2000s Bobby Bowden to Jimbo Fisher seems to have been a trade up. In house.

David
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
This is not surprising but Chris Collins confirms his interest in the Illinois job:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7723014/duke-chris-collins-interest-illinois-opening

Nice quotes in the article from his Dad and Scheyer.

superdave
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
This is not surprising but Chris Collins confirms his interest in the Illinois job:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7723014/duke-chris-collins-interest-illinois-opening

Nice quotes in the article from his Dad and Scheyer.

Is Shaka completely out? Is Johnny Dawkins still being considered?

Anthony Grant is 63-39 at Bama the last three years, with one NCAA tourney appearance.

Leonard Hamilton could be a wildcard here.

WiJoe
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Hamilton renegotiating w/fsu

Cameron
03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Hamilton renegotiating w/fsu

Yep, Leonard Hamilton said he's staying. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-21/sports/os-leonard-hamilton-florida-state-0321-20120321_1_coach-hamilton-fsu-shaka-smart)

It's totally legit. Nobody has ever lied about this type of thing. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2718798)

I do agree with WiJoe, though. Hamilton loves FSU from what I can tell and I think he'll be around for a long while, and will probably win another ACC title or two.

WiJoe
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Part of the problem with the Illinois job is a lot of kids in chicago — not the suburbs, the public league — have posses that would fill a lot of high school gyms. VERY slimy. Weber wouldn't dive into that slime when he was the Illini coach. Remember, Chicago city product Derrick Rose had to have someone else take his SAT in order to be eligible for Slima-pari at Memphis.

sagegrouse
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Yep, Leonard Hamilton said he's staying. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-21/sports/os-leonard-hamilton-florida-state-0321-20120321_1_coach-hamilton-fsu-shaka-smart)

It's totally legit. Nobody has ever lied about this type of thing. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2718798)

I do agree with WiJoe, though. Hamilton loves FSU from what I can tell and I think he'll be around for a long while, and will probably win another ACC title or two.

I can't believe soon-to-be 64YO Leonard Hamilton would leave Florida State. There is basically no cap on his pay there, given the money in Seminole land; he has had consistent and remarkable success; and he had a bad experience when MJ thought he was the ideal coach for the Wizards and plucked him from U. of Miami.

sage

Cameron
03-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I can't believe soon-to-be 64YO Leonard Hamilton would leave Florida State. There is basically no cap on his pay there, given the money in Seminole land; he has had consistent and remarkable success; and he had a bad experience when MJ thought he was the ideal coach for the Wizards and plucked him from U. of Miami.

sage

Exactly. I was surprised when I saw that Hamilton was 63. For some reason, I would have guessed he was in his mid 50s (maybe it's because Leonard's face has been stuck in that same perpetual grimace since he was denied an ice cream as a kid, and he's simply never really aged). It just wouldn't be logical for Illinois to invest in a coach for what might be only five or six years of service. A move like that to another program where an entirely new system and culture has to be instituted, a process that generally takes at least a couple of years to come to fruition, just doesn't make sense for Hamilton at this stage in his career.

That'd be like Bo Ryan leaving Wisconsin for Georgia Tech. Just doesn't make sense when he might be dead before the end of the first contract. (That's a bit hyperbolic, but the point remains valid.)

burnspbesq
03-23-2012, 04:02 PM
According to SBNation, Illinios' attention has now turned to Brad Stevens.

http://chicago.sbnation.com/illinois-fighting-illini/2012/3/23/2897988/illinois-coaching-search-butler-coach-brad-stevens/in/2619391

Also, ESPN is reporting that Ron Everhart is out at Duquesne.

tele
03-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Is Shaka completely out? Is Johnny Dawkins still being considered?

Anthony Grant is 63-39 at Bama the last three years, with one NCAA tourney appearance.

Leonard Hamilton could be a wildcard here.

Brad Stevens said to be "talking" with Illini about job.

BulldogDancer81
03-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Dana O'Neil reports that The Illini have not contacted Stevens.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7729557/butler-bulldogs-coach-brad-stevens-says-had-no-contact-illinois-fighting-illini

DUKIE V(A)
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I am tremendously impressed with Shaka Smart. He has done an outstanding job the last two seasons at VCU, showed outstanding sportsmanship in a gut-wrenching loss to Indiana, re-commited to VCU, and did an amazing job in the studio last night. The guy is poised, charismatic, and knows his stuff. Only a matter of time before he gets a BIGTIME job...of course, he is helping make VCU look pretty good as it is.

davekay1971
03-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I am tremendously impressed with Shaka Smart. He has done an outstanding job the last two seasons at VCU, showed outstanding sportsmanship in a gut-wrenching loss to Indiana, re-commited to VCU, and did an amazing job in the studio last night. The guy is poised, charismatic, and knows his stuff. Only a matter of time before he gets a BIGTIME job...of course, he is helping make VCU look pretty good as it is.

Agreed. Smart has the chops and cred to hold out for, and get, a premiere job. No reason for him to go anywhere yet. He can sit tight for a couple years waiting to see if, say, Calipari goes to the NBA, Calhoun or Boeheim retires, etc...

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed. Smart has the chops and cred to hold out for, and get, a premiere job. No reason for him to go anywhere yet. He can sit tight for a couple years waiting to see if, say, Calipari goes to the NBA, Calhoun or Boeheim retires, etc...

.... or Duke comes calling when Coach K retires.

jv001
03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
.... or Duke comes calling when Coach K retires.

I'm with you. GoDuke!

pfrduke
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
This is an interesting move (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-hired-south-carolina-gamecocks-reports-say) if the reports are true. Seems like a lateral, at best, change for Frank Martin.

Dev11
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
This is an interesting move (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-hired-south-carolina-gamecocks-reports-say) if the reports are true. Seems like a lateral, at best, change for Frank Martin.

Location-wise its a step up, but competition-wise its not. Especially with Mizzou leaving, Kansas now has K-State as its main rival (this from the perspective of an ACC type, more informed opinions from B12 country welcome)

crimsonandblue
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM

I can't see how it's even lateral. But, he's apparently very upset with his AD at KSU. The Samuels suspension for the Syracuse game was apparently icing on the cake. His one decent recruit apparently signed only a grant in aid agreement (not an LOI), which should mean he can follow Martin wherever and sure looks like there have been issues brewing.

pfrduke
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I can't see how it's even lateral. But, he's apparently very upset with his AD at KSU. The Samuels suspension for the Syracuse game was apparently icing on the cake. His one decent recruit apparently signed only a grant in aid agreement (not an LOI), which should mean he can follow Martin wherever and sure looks like there have been issues brewing.

Well, if he's looking for a softer hand with compliance issues (not saying I necessarily disagree with him on the Samuels situation, which I don't understand sufficiently to take a view on one way or another), moving to the SEC would seem to be the right approach.

subzero02
03-27-2012, 12:42 AM
No shortage of peronality as far as the South Carolina football and basketball head coaches are concerned.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-hired-south-carolina-gamecocks-reports-say

burnspbesq
03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
UAB has hired Carolina assistant Jerod Haase to replace Mike Davis.

burnspbesq
03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
According to ESPN Chicago, Ohio University coach John Groce is in negotiations to take the Illinois Job.

A mid-major coming off a Sweet Sixteen appearance, and with lots of talent coming back: hard to imagine a better first head coaching job. Woj, it's time to leave the nest.

Duvall
03-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Danny Manning to Tulsa? (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749070/danny-manning-agrees-coach-tulsa-sources-say)

A-Tex Devil
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Danny Manning to Tulsa? (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7749070/danny-manning-agrees-coach-tulsa-sources-say)

This is a great hire. Setting his name aside and what that can bring to the recruiting table, Danny Manning, I believe, is the guy primarily responsible for the development of KUs big men, which was especially important this year after losing the Morris twins. Robinson, bench player last year, is an all-american, and Withey, no run at all last year, has been a force inside as well.

Tulsa has been the ultimate "gateway" school for college coaches (including Bill Self), and most of those guys have had success if they find success at Tulsa. (was actually surprised they had such a quick trigger with Wocjik, but I don't know the full story there).

tommy
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
According to ESPN Chicago, Ohio University coach John Groce is in negotiations to take the Illinois Job.

A mid-major coming off a Sweet Sixteen appearance, and with lots of talent coming back: hard to imagine a better first head coaching job. Woj, it's time to leave the nest.

I agree. Ohio has its entire team coming back. Seems like a perfect spot for Wojo. Solid team to start with, but a mid-major. Not major conference pressure. Great "starter" head job.

But the names I've seen floated for the Bobcats job are Jeff Boals, a former Ohio player now an assistant to Thad Matta at OSU, and current Bobcat assistant Dustin Ford, also a former player at the school.

I'd guess Boals is their guy and they're just waiting for Ohio St's run to end.

ns7
03-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Location-wise its a step up, but competition-wise its not. Especially with Mizzou leaving, Kansas now has K-State as its main rival (this from the perspective of an ACC type, more informed opinions from B12 country welcome)

South Carolina actually has pretty good resources in place for basketball but hasn't had a real winner since 1997 and 1998. Back in those days the basketball arena used to sell out frequently. The current venue, the Colonial Life Arena, is the 4th largest in the SEC. And Frank Martin's salary jumped from ~1.2M to ~2M.

I don't really see why everyone says it's a step down. KSU was a worse program than SC before Huggins and Martin went there. SC is in a better situation for both financials and talent. I'd wager that the fan support will be very strong next year as well.

El_Diablo
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Bruce Weber to K-State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7758565/kansas-state-wildcats-hiring-bruce-weber-men-basketball-coach

Indoor66
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Bruce Weber to K-State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7758565/kansas-state-wildcats-hiring-bruce-weber-men-basketball-coach

Why would they do that? Another failed retread.

Verga3
03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Wojo getting a mention on the Bobcat boards.
http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=&PID=67266&ForumPID=1&page=7

burnspbesq
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Doug Wojcik to succeed Bobby Cremins at Charleston.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7759936/source-doug-wojcik-tulsa-golden-hurricane-hired-coach-college-charleston

Cameron
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Wojo getting a mention on the Bobcat boards.
http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=&PID=67266&ForumPID=1&page=7

Certainly nice to see, but I wouldn't place too much stock into it. They are also mentioning Paul Westhead and "LMU: Part II" in that same thread. As long as they are just throwing names out there, why not Phil Jackson? He'd make a good coach.

burnspbesq
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Clemson assistant Rick Ray is the new head coach at Mississippi State.

TCU head coach Jim Christian is moving to Ohio University.

Keno Davis is the new head coach at Central Michigan.

Jim Baron has, as predicted in post one on this topic, landed on his feet. He gets to try and rebuild at Canisius. Hey, if it can be done at St. Bonaventure, it can be done pretty much anywhere.

A-Tex Devil
04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
TCU head coach Jim Christian is moving to Ohio University.

This is a puzzling move, although I know Ohio returns its whole team. TCU is heading to the Big XII next year, and actually had a not horrible year this year in a fairly strong Mountain West. They beat 4 tourney teams (UVa, New Mexico, Colo St. and UNLV).

The Big XII may be seriously down next year after a strong regular season. KU loses a lot, Mizzou and A&M, who have been strong, are gone, Iowa St. loses its best player, KSU lost its coach and best recruit, and OU, OSU and Texas Tech are all struggling (although OSU will be talented, but young, next year).

Assuming Cameron Ridley shows up, Texas will be top 25 next year, and Baylor has another "How'd they do that?" class coming in. West Virginia will likely be in the mix too. So it's not like TCU was going to be great next year, but it was as good of time for a historically bad program to upgrade conferences. This seems like somewhat of a downgrade in the long term for Jim Christian, especially since the MAC has been a 1 bid league in recent years.

pfrduke
04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Larry Brown to SMU (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7833478/smu-mustangs-announce-larry-brown-take-coach).

Interesting place for him to land. In other news, SMU will be looking for another coach in 3-4 years.

mgtr
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Bruce Weber to K-State:

Wow! What next - the Herricks?

hurleyfor3
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Larry Brown to SMU (http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7833478/smu-mustangs-announce-larry-brown-take-coach).

Interesting place for him to land. In other news, SMU will be looking for another coach in 3-4 years.

Are they trying to get the death penalty in basketball too now?

sagegrouse
04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Most of the way through the annual coaching carousel, we can give a recap of results to date. Here's the data. I think I missed some schools, so please feel free to add on --

Vacancy Former Coach Reason New Coach Former Position
MissSt Rick Stansbury Fired Rick Ray Asst - Clemson
Tulsa Doug Wojcik Fired Danny Manning Asst - Kansas
TennSt John Cooper Left for Miami O. Travis Williams Asst - Tenn State
UAB Mike Davis Fired Jerod Haase Asst - UNC
VaTech Seth Greenberg Fired James Johnson Asst - Va. Tech
C. Mich Ernie Zeigler Fired Keno Davis Ex-HC - Providence
K-State Frank Martin Left for USC Bruce Weber Fired as HC - Ill
CofC Bobby Cremins Retired Doug Wojcik Fired HC - Tulsa
Neb. Doc Sadler Fired Tim Miles HC - Colo State
SC Darrin Horn Fired Frank Martin HC - K-State
TCU Jim Christian Left for Ohio U. Trent Johnson HC - LSU
LSU Trent Johnson Left for TCU Johnny Jones HC - N. Texas
Ill. Bruce Weber Fired John Groce HC - Ohio U.
Miami-O Charlie Coles Retired John Cooper HC - Tenn state
Co. St. Tim Miles Left for Nebraska Larry Eustachy HC - USM
R. Isl. Jimmy Baron Fired Danny Hurley HC - Wagner
Ohio U. Jim Groce Left for Ill. Jim Christian HC -TCU
USM Larry Eustachy Left for Col. St. Donnie Tyndall HC - Morehead St.
IllSt. Chris Lowry Fired

Here are some observations. You can supply the generalizations.

Of the 19 vacancies, ten coaches were fired; seven left for new HC jobs (not all of them better ones); and two retired.

Of the 18 filled vacancies:

Ten were filled by current HCs at other schools.
Three were filled by former HCs, two of whom were fired at the end of this season.
Only five of the 18 vacancies were filled by promoting assistants

Surely there were more than 19 HC vacancies this year, so I have undoubtedly missed some. But it is striking to me that only five jobs were filled by hiring assistants, and only three of these were from other schools.

sagegrouse

FerryFor50
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
You forgot SMU and Larry Brown...

sagegrouse
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM
You forgot SMU and Larry Brown...

My only excuse is that I thought this was a family Web site, and an entry with both Matt Doherty and Larry Brown is clearly NC-17.

sage

sagegrouse
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
ESPN has a list (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7647785/ncaa-division-coaching-changes-2012-13-season) of 41 Div I head coaching changes. I will analyze and post results later.

sage

FerryFor50
04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
My only excuse is that I thought this was a family Web site, and an entry with both Matt Doherty and Larry Brown is clearly NC-17.

sage

Well it goes with the whole "Duke fans like to see UNC guys fail."

If anyone has dibs on the word "failure" it's Matt Doherty. And Larry Brown at SMU is a failure-in-waiting...

DU82
05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Mark Macon, out at Binghamton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7873565/binghamton-bearcats-fire-men-basketball-coach-mark-macon

I wouldn't want to touch that job right now with a 7'5" Chuck Nevitt.

sagegrouse
05-02-2012, 06:49 AM
For the 42 coaching losses, there are a few lessons. Number 1, don't plan your retirement party any too soon.

Of the 347 Division I programs:

Only four coaches retired (1.2 percent), but 27 were fired or resigned with losing records (6.9 percent).

In other words, extrapolating from this year's data, you are 6-7 times more likely to get fired than to ride off into the sunset at the end of a long career. Overall, 12 percent of coaching positions turned over this year, which, if repeated every year, implies an average tenure of about eight years

While there is quite a bit of "churn" in the coaching laundry, but it not as much as I suspected:

11 coaches left for new Div I head coaching jobs. That's 3 percent of the total Div I coaches. Not all of these were upward movements; for instance, TCU coach Jim Christian left for Ohio U.

Of the 36 jobs filled so far:

11, as noted, were filled with head coaches who moved from other Div I schools.

Five were filled by former head coaches. Interestingly, three of these guys had been fired a few days before: Jim Baron went from Rhode Island to Canisius; Doug Wojcik was canned at Tulsa and landed at the C of C as Bobby Cremins' replacement; Bruce Weber was axed at Illinois only to land at K-State.

17 assistant coaches got head coaching jobs. Five of these were already at the school (counting James Johnson as a VT assistant, not a Clemson assistant). Assuming each Div I school has three assistants, then the promotion rate to head coach is less than 2 percent per year (17 divided by 1,041).

One new head coach had been a former assistant not actively coaching (Pat Kelsey going to Winthrop was a former Xavier assistant).

Two were "none of the above." Larry Brown's previous gig was as HC of the Bobcats. It had been 24 years since he was the head coach at Kansas. Jay Spoonhour, hired at Eastern Illinois, had been at a community college; he is the son of Charlie, former UNLV and St. Louis coach.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Mark Macon, out at Binghamton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7873565/binghamton-bearcats-fire-men-basketball-coach-mark-macon

I wouldn't want to touch that job right now with a 7'5" Chuck Nevitt.
I wonder why a school in that position would wait so long after the season ends. It would have made sense to me to pull the trigger the day after the locker room's lights are out.

budwom
05-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I wonder why a school in that position would wait so long after the season ends. It would have made sense to me to pull the trigger the day after the locker room's lights are out.

True, but in Macon's defense, he had to clean up a filthy mess of epic proportions left by his predecessor. Not sure who was going to succeed after that ugly episode. Still, not sure why they waited so long....

1 24 90
05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Clint Jackson‏@clintjackson1
UNC hires Hubert Davis as new assistant basketball coach. Great hire for UNC. Personable, recognizable, rapport builder with credibility.

I guess he's leaving Gameday. Hopefully they take this opportunity to get rid of Digger too.