PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Conference Tournaments

Wander
03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
This is one of my favorite parts of the sport. Basically mini-playoffs for the most part.

Murray State won today in the last few seconds.
UNC-Asheville got the first bid of the year. They played reasonably competitively against BCS teams (UNC, NC State, UConn) earlier in the year.
Wichita State was upset by Illinois State in the semis of the MVC. I still like them a lot, though.

1 24 90
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree. I love the small conference tourneys. The 3rd bid goes out tonight as our first W of the year, Belmont, plays Florida Gulf Coast (15-16) for their automatic bid. They play at 7 if there's nothing else on TV that you want to watch ;)

throatybeard
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
This is heresy in this neck of the woods, but I'm gonna say it. The MVC Tournament is now, in 2012, a better event than the ACCT.

burnspbesq
03-04-2012, 02:27 AM
This is heresy in this neck of the woods, but I'm gonna say it. The MVC Tournament is now, in 2012, a better event than the ACCT.

The West Coast Conference tournament has been great so far. St. Mary's and Gonzaga play for the title on Monday night. Gonzaga's Kevin Pangos is the best freshman point guard in the country. His battle with Matthew Dellavadova is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Wander
03-04-2012, 02:48 PM

In addition to the MVC tournament being awesome specifically, I think as a general rule the smaller and mid-level tournaments are better events simply because there's usually more at stake.

1 24 90
03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Bad news for the Hurley brothers. Wagner was beaten in the semifinals of the NEC tourney.

davidson
03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm in Asheville for the SoCon tourney. What a great town for a tournament. Countless restaurants and bars within walking distance of the renovated Civic Center. I parked my car when I arrived, and won't need it until I leave. The old Civic Center was a dump, but they have done a good job fixing it up.

Reserved seats come with admission to a hospitality room. For the noon women's game, it was catered by Tupelo Honey with brunch consisting of blueberry stuffed french toast, etc. Free beer and wine with a reserved ticket as well. Hope the SoCon stays here forever. Go Cats!