PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Florida State 63, Virginia 60

sagegrouse
03-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Virginia had come back from a deficit and had a seven point lead. FSU got a steal and a long pass. Harris of UVa fouled Bernard James hard. James, lying on the floor, KICKED Harris in front of two officials, giving Virginia two FTs and the ball. James gets ejected. Now UVa has the ball and a nine-point lead with 4:50 to go.

sage

OldPhiKap
03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
nice comeback by the Hoos so far. Still don't want to see FSU in the ACC Tourney.

-jk
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Lots of time left. 3 points 3 minutes.

-jk

subzero02
03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
FSU says "don't call it a comeback"

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Ian Miller just "Rivered" the Hoos. That game reminded me of 2/8/12.

sagegrouse
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
UVa, apparently believing that the penalty against James was too harsh and that real Gentlemen would not advantage, proceeded to score only two points in the last four minutes, giving up an 11-point lead and allowing FSU's Miller to make a highly contested three with under a second left for a 63-60 win.

sage

loran16
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Are we sure UVA is in the tourney at this point? They've got 2 wins against possible tourney teams - Michigan and Drexel, and none since November, unless we're counting Miami (I'm not).

I mean seriously...they've lost every legit game since November!

Greg_Newton
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Are we sure UVA is in the tourney at this point? They've got 2 wins against possible tourney teams - Michigan and Drexel, and none since November, unless we're counting Miami (I'm not).

Definitely a good question... at 8-7 in the ACC, you'd think they'll at least have to beat Maryland this weekend and beat the 5-seed in the ACCT. Might even need to upset the #1 in the ACCT given the state of the league.

Honestly, their season went down with Assane Sene on Jan 20th. He was a role player, but a solid 4-year, veteran 7-footer that gave them some length and depth and let Scott play PF. Now, not only do they have no one over 6'8, they've got to move to move Scott to C and start underclassman reserve Akil Mitchell, and their only post sub is a 6'8 freshman. Their three 6'8 post players get in foul trouble in every game trying to guard bigger players, which leads ridiculous scenarios like 6'6 Joe Harris checking John Henson at the end of a barn burner against UNC.

And most telling, they're 15-2 with Sene and 6-6 without him. Shame, because this should have been a big year for them.

ncexnyc
03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Definitely a good question... at 8-7 in the ACC, you'd think they'll at least have to beat Maryland this weekend and beat the 5-seed in the ACCT. Might even need to upset the #1 in the ACCT given the state of the league.

Honestly, their season went down with Assane Sene on Jan 20th. He was a role player, but a solid 4-year, veteran 7-footer that gave them some length and depth and let Scott play PF. Now, not only do they have no one over 6'8, they've got to move to move Scott to C and start underclassman reserve Akil Mitchell, and their only post sub is a 6'8 freshman. Their three 6'8 post players get in foul trouble in every game trying to guard bigger players, which leads ridiculous scenarios like 6'6 Joe Harris checking John Henson at the end of a barn burner against UNC.

And most telling, they're 15-2 with Sene and 6-6 without him. Shame, because this should have been a big year for them.
Really nice to see someone showing love to Sene. This guy definitely doesn't get the respect that he should.
When Scott went down last year UVA remained competitive because Sene played defense and rebounded, while the other players were asked to pick up the offensive slack. This year the dynamics are quite different. Scott is now forced to do everything as the offense still revolves around him. Having to be a two-way player is taking a toll on him and he's been picking up fouls because he is now their primary post defender.

Bob Green
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
James gets ejected.

Does this make James ineligible to play in Florida State's game against Clemson on Sunday?

devildeac
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Does this make James ineligible to play in Florida State's game against Clemson on Sunday?

No, Gerald Henderson and Daniel Ewing (or Andre Dawkins) will be serving his suspension:rolleyes:.

Olympic Fan
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Actually, Virginia is no longer sure of the 4 seed ... in fact, they could wind up with the seven seed.

After tonight's two games (Clemson held off Virginia Tech, which lost another close game by two -- missing four chances in the final minute to tie or take the lead), we have a lot of questions remarining to be settled this weekend.

1. Of course, we all know that the Duke-UNC winner is the No. 1 seed ... the loser is the No. 2 seed. No ifs ands or buts.

3. Florida State. Win or lose Sunday vs. Clemson, they are No. 3.

4-7, At the moment, we have Virginia, Miami, NC State and Clemson (!) tied at 8-7 in the conference. And none of them play each other this weekend, so we could end up with a four-way tie. I'm pretty sure Miami beats Boston College at home (BC still hasn't won on the road). NC State has a tough one at Virginia Tech, but on the whole they've played well on the road. Virginia has a tough one at Maryland. Clemson has the toughest of all at FSU ... if FSU is into it. They should be -- FSU opened the ACC season with a 20-point loss at Clemson.

Just for fun, I figured a four-way tie. Virginia wins the tiebreaker with a 3-1 record against the other three schools. You then put the three remaining schools in a group. Do that and you get N.C. State (2-1) as the No. 5 seed; Clemson (1-1) as the No. 6 seed and Miami (1-2) as the No. 7 seed.

Of course, it could be a two or three way tie and that could change things. For instance Clemson beats State in a two-wa tie. Miami beats Clemson in a two way tie. Clemson beats Virginia in a two way tie (they are 1-1 head-to-head, but Clemson has a win over No. 3 FSU).

8. Maryland is locked into the No. 8 seed no matter what

9-12. Three teams have a 4-11 record -- Wake Forest, Boston College and Virginia Tech. Georgia Tech is 3-12, but the Jackets get Wake in Atlanta Saturday and they could end up in a four way tie at 4-12 if they win that. I'm not going to figure the potential tiebreakers at the bottom of the conference.

Reilly
03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Are we sure UVA is in the tourney at this point? ...

The sports-reference.com SRS ranks Virginia #29 in the country (includes last night's game).
Sagarin's predictor ranks Virginia #21 in the country (before last night's game).
What's their RPI ranking and Kenpom ranking?

I've thought the human polls have over-valued Virginia all year, ranking them higher than they deserved. That said, even the computer polls value them as a top 30 team so far ...

Olympic Fan
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
The sports-reference.com SRS ranks Virginia #29 in the country (includes last night's game).
Sagarin's predictor ranks Virginia #21 in the country (before last night's game).
What's their RPI ranking and Kenpom ranking?

I've thought the human polls have over-valued Virginia all year, ranking them higher than they deserved. That said, even the computer polls value them as a top 30 team so far ...

Pomeroy has them at No. 24 -- which is good.

But RPI has them at No. 45, which is getting close to bubble territory.

I'd say that Virginia is still in, but if I was a Cav fan, I'd be VERY worried about that game at Maryland.